PDA

View Full Version : It's Steelers (er, Ravens) Week!

Crow-Magnon
11-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Well, it would be if it wasn't for MNF tonight, so I guess it will start after the Chiefs-Steelers game.

Two match-ups in three weeks. The first is at Heinz Field Sunday at 8:20 on SNF. If this year shows a pattern, it should show a Pittsburgh victory, as Baltimore has not played overly well on the road so far this year (hell, most years, but this one in particular). Yesterday's shellacking of Oakland at M&T Bank means nothing. This has been a strange year for Ravens fans. Which team shows up? The one that blew out the Bengals in Week 1 (or that totally demolished the Raiders)? Or the one that loses to a crappy Eagles team or is made to look like a sandlot squad ala' the Texans game?

My money (if I had any) would be on a 24-13 loss on the road next week. I realize the Ravens always step up when they play Pittsburgh, but this year I don't think "stepping up" is going to be enough. No Lewis, no Webb, a slowed-down Ngata, a Reed who can't tackle, a Suggs still trying to get up to speed......all-in-all they are a 7-2 team that is damned lucky to be 7-2. If the AFC was up to standard, they would probably be 5-4.

And with two games left against Pittsburgh, plus games against Denver, the Giants and the Bengals in Cincinnati, it's a tough road to hoe for the rest of the season.

But it will still be a great game to watch.

Seven
11-12-2012, 03:06 PM
I'll be back after we see the result of tonight's matchup.

GoSlash27
11-12-2012, 04:19 PM
A Steelers/ Ravens game is never *not* entertaining. Hope you're doing well, Crow! :tea:

Crow-Magnon
11-12-2012, 05:12 PM
A Steelers/ Ravens game is never *not* entertaining. Hope you're doing well, Crow! :tea:

You know, I do not think I have ever been a fan of a team that, at 7-2, does not make me all that giddy. Yeah, at this point only the Texans have a better record in the AFC, and at this point Baltimore has only lost to them (a blow-out) and to Philadelphia (unexcusable), but their play on the road is worrisome. If Flacco and the WR's and TE's played on the road like they did yesterday, they would be 8-1 at least. But they are a Jekyll and Hyde team this season on offense, and with a defense that is WAY below Ravens standard at stopping the run (let alone a substandard pass rush and a sieve-like secondary), it is hard to get real upbeat about the remainder of the season.

Once again, it looks to me as if the Ravens started out with a lead over Pittsburgh in the division, but at Week 17 it will probably come down to that game or the one prior to see who takes home the AFCN crown. And the Steelers look to be improving week-by-week. Next week will be an important game for both our teams. Either Pittsburgh and Baltimore will be 7-3 and tied for the AFCN lead (with the Steelers holding the tiebreaker for the moment), or the Ravens will be 8-2 with a two-game lead over Pittsburgh at 6-3 (I know it is bad karma, but needless to say, I am chalking up tonight's contest in the W column for the Black and Gold tonight).

salamander
11-12-2012, 05:24 PM
I'll be back after we see the result of tonight's matchup.

This...

Seven
11-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Well, it would be if it wasn't for MNF tonight, so I guess it will start after the Chiefs-Steelers game.

Two match-ups in three weeks. The first is at Heinz Field Sunday at 8:20 on SNF. If this year shows a pattern, it should show a Pittsburgh victory, as Baltimore has not played overly well on the road so far this year (hell, most years, but this one in particular). Yesterday's shellacking of Oakland at M&T Bank means nothing. This has been a strange year for Ravens fans. Which team shows up? The one that blew out the Bengals in Week 1 (or that totally demolished the Raiders)? Or the one that loses to a crappy Eagles team or is made to look like a sandlot squad ala' the Texans game?

My money (if I had any) would be on a 24-13 loss on the road next week. I realize the Ravens always step up when they play Pittsburgh, but this year I don't think "stepping up" is going to be enough. No Lewis, no Webb, a slowed-down Ngata, a Reed who can't tackle, a Suggs still trying to get up to speed......all-in-all they are a 7-2 team that is damned lucky to be 7-2. If the AFC was up to standard, they would probably be 5-4.

And with two games left against Pittsburgh, plus games against Denver, the Giants and the Bengals in Cincinnati, it's a tough road to hoe for the rest of the season.

But it will still be a great game to watch.

Alright buddy, here's how I see it.

First of all, I think we can agree this game would be much more exciting if both teams were healthy. That said, I think it's also reasonable to say the loss of Ben (not even going to include the other injuries we have) is going to be a much greater obstacle to overcome than the Ravens missing Lewis and Webb. Not trying to make an excuse already, as Coach Tomlin is so fond of saying, the standard is the standard - simply making it clear right off the bat that I think your Ravens have a priceless opportunity to face us without our MVP caliber quarterback. And I fully expect them to take advantage.

Whoever gets the nod under center automatically has weaknesses. If it's Leftwich and we don't max protect, Suggs could have a field day. If it's Batch and your coverage holds, Reed could.

The run game has to come to play for the Steelers. If they can get Dwyer rolling early and often that could be enough to even this one out. Colon, Pouncey and Foster have to keep doing what they have been all year and take advantage of the funk Ngata has been in. This is the only way I see us winning and even in this scenario I think the defense has to play near flawless.

Woodley has to get his shit together. We need a pass rush to make Joe play like Joe. If there is no pass rush he's going to play well. If he's under pressure, not so much.

Basically, I think the Steelers can win with Leftwich, but it's going to take a team effort. If it wasn't for his goddamn release I'd be much more confident in us coming away with a victory here.

In the end I think it's higher scoring than most probably think. A defensive score on each side and one team makes a major mistake or play on special teams. Add a couple successful drives by either team and I'm going to say this one ends 21 - 20, Steelers. But I'm not confident.

Psycho Ward 86
11-14-2012, 02:35 AM
what the hell is wrong with ngata anyways? i dont understand how anybody could be running so well against a MAN-imal like that

Seven
11-14-2012, 03:06 AM
what the hell is wrong with ngata anyways? i dont understand how anybody could be running so well against a MAN-imal like that

I believe he has some sort of injury. At one point he was playing so poorly I couldn't believe they didn't bench him. Haven't seen enough lately to comment on how he is doing now, but as of a couple weeks ago it wasn't good.

GBMelBlount
11-14-2012, 05:48 AM
Our defense playing lights out and establishing a run game will be the keys to winning.

Crow-Magnon
11-14-2012, 10:07 AM

Ngata is dealing with shoulder and knee injuries. He has really been hobbled most of this season.

Moose
11-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Sure would be sweet to see our team come out and play 'lights out' on both sides of the ball, our special team to have a nice run back or two, and Lefty connect for some good long TD's a few time ( Wallace catching and holding on the ball ), and NO holding calls and/or PI penalties for 60 minutes. A big, dominating win would sure be awesome in this situation and may be all the team would need to build confidence a roll to a division title. GO STEELERS

Devilsdancefloor
11-14-2012, 11:28 AM
every year i think the same thing steeler/ravens are going to split the series i watched a few ravens games this year at home they have that killer instinct and on the road they seem very shy and timid. Even with Ben out i think we play a tight game and win by a no larger of a margin than 3

Moose
11-14-2012, 11:43 AM
every year i think the same thing steeler/ravens are going to split the series i watched a few ravens games this year at home they have that killer instinct and on the road they seem very shy and timid. Even with Ben out i think we play a tight game and win by a no larger of a margin than 3

Damn, sure hope you're right ! It would make for a great Monday, especially facing all of those bunghole fans at work.:thumbsup:

Seven
11-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Ngata is dealing with shoulder and knee injuries. He has really been hobbled most of this season.

Is Reed actually injured or just playing mediocre?

Crow-Magnon
11-15-2012, 07:49 AM
Is Reed actually injured or just playing mediocre?

Reed has an nagging injury (torn labrum) and suffered a shoulder stinger in last week's game. But he has had issues with a nerve impingement in his neck for the last several years, and that has definitely hampered his ability to tackle mano-a-mano. A lot of Steelers fans like to bring up that Polamalu is great at stopping the run as a SS and Reed does not as a FS, but Ed started as a SS and he was excellent at stopping the run and on safety blitzes earlier in his career.

To be honest, if he had a SB ring by now, I think he'd be retired. As it is, I have a feeling if Baltimore doesn't make it to the SB this year, he will retire anyway.

steelpride12
11-15-2012, 08:11 AM
The key is establishing the run game. The Rats have had our number recently because they were able to imply Rice well into the offense and he was able to shoulder the load way from Flacco, where the Steelers struggle running against them making us one dimensional and forcing Ben to try and win the game, with Ben out we need our running game to produce if we want a chance.

Seven
11-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Reed has an nagging injury (torn labrum) and suffered a shoulder stinger in last week's game. But he has had issues with a nerve impingement in his neck for the last several years, and that has definitely hampered his ability to tackle mano-a-mano. A lot of Steelers fans like to bring up that Polamalu is great at stopping the run as a SS and Reed does not as a FS, but Ed started as a SS and he was excellent at stopping the run and on safety blitzes earlier in his career.

To be honest, if he had a SB ring by now, I think he'd be retired. As it is, I have a feeling if Baltimore doesn't make it to the SB this year, he will retire anyway.

Okay, I knew about his long-standing injuries but I was speficially asking about this season. I remember Reed when he played strong side, could definitely tackle but I never thought he was much of a thumper. Thought he has always been great coming off the edge, though, from either side of the field. I feel like he's been considering retirement for half a decade now. He needs to pull the trigger. At this point the mediocre seasons are piling up on his resume and, no offense - you probably feel differently - but I really don't think this team is quite ready to win a ring.

steeldawg
11-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Okay, I knew about his long-standing injuries but I was speficially asking about this season. I remember Reed when he played strong side, could definitely tackle but I never thought he was much of a thumper. Thought he has always been great coming off the edge, though, from either side of the field. I feel like he's been considering retirement for half a decade now. He needs to pull the trigger. At this point the mediocre seasons are piling up on his resume and, no offense - you probably feel differently - but I really don't think this team is quite ready to win a ring.

Mediocre seasons are piling up on his resume???? Ed reed has been so solid, his seasons are far from mediocre.

Crow-Magnon
11-17-2012, 01:36 PM

I think their best chance was last year. But there are still 6 games left in a weaker AFC. We'll see!

Seven
11-17-2012, 01:52 PM
I think their best chance was last year. But there are still 6 games left in a weaker AFC. We'll see!

Great point.

Best of luck tomorrow night... well, not really! Haha. But enjoy the game :tea:

X-Terminator
11-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Mediocre seasons are piling up on his resume???? Ed reed has been so solid, his seasons are far from mediocre.

It's pretty well-known that Reed has not been very good the past 2 or 3 seasons, at least not playing up to the standard he set. He should have retired 2 years ago, IMO.

zulater
11-18-2012, 12:03 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/579142_469828506394398_1485539277_n.jpg

GoSlash27
11-18-2012, 12:35 PM
We'll all know the answer tonight.
Here's to a hard-fought game with no bad calls and no injuries! :alcohol: