PDA

View Full Version : Todd Haley still has not been paid what's remaining on his contract by the Chiefs

polamalubeast
11-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Wow, @JayGlazer just reported that Todd Haley still has not been paid what's remaining on his contract by the Chiefs.

https://mobile.twitter.com/caplannfl/status/267675846905577473?p=v

wow!

Seven
11-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Doesn't surprise me. He left there on pretty bad terms. And Pioli is a prick.

Hopefully it's just more motivation for Haley to come up with a simple, yet bad ass offensive gameplan. My only worry about this game is that Haley gets a little too cute.

GBMelBlount
11-11-2012, 11:28 AM
This does not surprise me.

Haley ruined the chiefs and does not desrve to be paid.

The proof is how much better they are doing now without him...errrr....ummmm....

J/K

Anyway, I would love to see Haley and Ben light up the scoreboard tomorrow.

Texasteel
11-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Memo to KC sideline. Send over a check and we will stop scoring.

BigNastyDefense
11-11-2012, 02:33 PM
I hope we go out there and beat the Chefs by 60!!!!

zulater
11-11-2012, 03:11 PM
I know the Raiders historically under Al Davis refused to pay coaches the remaining years of the contract. Except in the case of Art Shell. Even Al wasn't stupid enough to deny a franchise legend the remainder of his contract.

But regardless what pisses me off is how come the commisioneer doesn't take action against clubs that don't honor their legal obligations? He's great at bullying players. But something like this and he looks the other way?

Teams that don't pay off legal obligations should be fined and be penalized draft picks.

Craic
11-11-2012, 09:46 PM
But regardless what pisses me off is how come the commisioneer doesn't take action against clubs that don't honor their legal obligations? He's great at bullying players. But something like this and he looks the other way?

Teams that don't pay off legal obligations should be fined and be penalized draft picks.

Can't in this situation, because the legality of the contract is up in the air. The chiefs are claiming that Haley was terminated for cause, which would render the contract invalid at the day of termination, if not the day of the cause of termination. Haley, obviously, would be arguing that it wasn't for cause, but rather, a general termination due to unhappiness with his team's performance (oops).

So, the commissioner can't take any action here concerning honoring their legal obligations, because those very legal obligations are at the center of the debate - there'll end up having to be a court case (or binding arbitration) to determine if he was or was not fired for cause.

Not sure why you're taking a swipe at the commissioner on a thread that has nothing to do with him however, except that it's a SU thing to do.

zulater
11-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Can't in this situation, because the legality of the contract is up in the air. The chiefs are claiming that Haley was terminated for cause, which would render the contract invalid at the day of termination, if not the day of the cause of termination. Haley, obviously, would be arguing that it wasn't for cause, but rather, a general termination due to unhappiness with his team's performance (oops).

So, the commissioner can't take any action here concerning honoring their legal obligations, because those very legal obligations are at the center of the debate - there'll end up having to be a court case (or binding arbitration) to determine if he was or was not fired for cause.

Not sure why you're taking a swipe at the commissioner on a thread that has nothing to do with him however, except that it's a SU thing to do.

I brought it up because it's relevant to the topic. The Raiders still haven't paid Mike Shanahan, and Laine Kiffin what's owed to them on their contract from years ago. I also think this to be true of Bill Callahan. It's an embarrasment to the league imo and thus should be taken care of by the league.

Craic
11-11-2012, 11:24 PM
I brought it up because it's relevant to the topic. The Raiders still haven't paid Mike Shanahan, and Laine Kiffin what's owed to them on their contract from years ago. I also think this to be true of Bill Callahan. It's an embarrasment to the league imo and thus should be taken care of by the league.

But in the case of Haley, it is not relevant - and that is what the thread's about. At least, it's not relevant until it's shown that he wasn't fired "for cause."

zulater
11-11-2012, 11:33 PM
But in the case of Haley, it is not relevant - and that is what the thread's about. At least, it's not relevant until it's shown that he wasn't fired "for cause."

Because "cause" is always the excuse when deadbeat teams don't want to honor their commitment. It's garbage, but they tie it up in court, and they end up wearing down the coach in the end every time. That's why the commisioneer should jump in and call bullshit.

Funny they can discern when Emanuel Sanders is play faking an injury but they can't figure out that the Chiefs don't want to pay because Piola made Haleys' firing a personal vendetta.

Craic
11-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Because "cause" is always the excuse when deadbeat teams don't want to honor their commitment. It's garbage, but they tie it up in court, and they end up wearing down the coach in the end every time. That's why the commisioneer should jump in and call bullshit.

Funny they can discern when Emanuel Sanders is play faking an injury but they can't figure out that the Chiefs don't want to pay because Piola made Haleys' firing a personal vendetta.

Zu, you're talking apples and elephants.

One is a rule governed by nothing else other than the NFL. The other is a labor contract governed by numerous state and federal laws. Regardless of whether "cause" is an excuse or not, because it is civil and not penal, there is no way the league will get involved, and open themselves up to a massive lawsuit, since the lawsuit is between two elements of the NFL, about a job being performed in the NFL, if the NFL ruled on it, there would be all kinds of repercussions (which is what seperates this kind of thing from things like league suspensions for DUI, Ben's suspension, etc. etc). The smart thing to do, is stay the heck away.

zulater
11-12-2012, 05:38 AM
Since Scott Pioli was hired as general manager in January 2009, life for many inside the Chiefs’ front office has been marked by massive staff turnover, fear and insecurity about how closely they are watched. Numerous current and former staffers paint a picture of constant worry — and, in a few cases, of alleged age discrimination. Three former department heads sued the Chiefs in 2011, though the team has denied wrongdoing.

Clark Hunt, the team’s chairman and CEO, rejected the notion that Arrowhead is a difficult place to work, but he said there has been an emphasis placed on responsibility. Change, he said, is often uncomfortable.

“We needed a culture that pursued excellence,” he said. “One that valued honesty and integrity, one where the employees would be held accountable.”

Stability has been another matter. In the last three years, more than half the workforce has turned over, and the vast majority of senior staff members are no longer with the team. As dozens have left the organization, with some of the holdovers and new hires trying to adapt to what many described as a restrictive working environment, dread has permeated the franchise.

“The level of paranoia was probably the highest that I had ever seen it anywhere,” another former high-ranking staffer said. “… If you make the wrong step, you might not be able to pay your mortgage.”

But in the last three years, another former staffer said, printouts of emails, some of them months old, were occasionally requested. The former employee said the belief was that the Chiefs were trying to discover who could be trusted and who couldn’t, who was loyal to the cause and who was a liability. Pioli pored over former president Denny Thum’s call log, a former high-ranking employee said, before Thum was asked to resign in September 2010 after 36 years with the team.

Thum declined comment when reached by telephone.

Kirsten Krug, the team’s human resources director, said that no current or former employee has shared uneasiness that conversations were monitored. Hunt said no employee, past or present, has broached this concern with him — including Haley.

But the suspicion was prevalent enough that, when some staffers wanted to speak candidly, they set appointments with coworkers to meet outside the building so they could talk face-to-face. Others, trying to skirt an impression that employees shouldn’t fraternize with those from different departments, occasionally left the facility at different times, in different cars, so that team administrators wouldn’t know they were having lunch together.

Still, other staffers were nervous that someone might report to administrators that they were at a place with people they weren’t supposed to associate with.

“Every day,” a former longtime staffer said, “you walked into the building like you were going to be put on the witness stand and be cross-examined, and you didn’t know who it was going to be coming from.”

For some, the pressure was more difficult to deal with than others.

“Whether it’s a licensed professional or somebody else,” the employee said, “hell yeah, you’d better talk to somebody. Because you’ll go crazy.”

Before Christmas, a group of about 20 gathered at a cafe in Independence. They were mostly former Chiefs staffers, although some current employees also attended, and they came together to reminisce. They called it a reunion.

“It didn’t matter which department you were in,” said Cox, who is Melton’s father, “everybody would pull together. It was amazing.”

Now, Schneider said, most employees simply keep to themselves. He said staffers used to volunteer to help coworkers out of a jam. If there was snow in the stadium, colleagues from other departments ran down to help shovel it out. Those days, he said, are gone.

“It got to a point where people just kept their heads down, didn’t want to go outside the box and jeopardize getting in trouble,” Schneider said.

He went on.

“I still get calls from people who are still there,” he said. “All I can say is, ‘I feel for you.’ ”

Several former staffers admitted that it’s difficult being without a job, particularly one in sports. But some said leaving the new Chiefs was more about relief than regret.

“I sleep a hell of a lot better at night,” a former employee said.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/14/3371495/arrowhead-anxiety-turnover-off.html#storylink=cpy

This helps describe the atmosphere that Haley left behind in K.C.

Craic
11-12-2012, 12:25 PM

Sure makes him appreciate the Steelers organization I bet.

Texasteel
11-12-2012, 12:58 PM

Well, you notice how much better KC is since he left. I know you can't fire all the players, but in KCs case that might have been a better way to go.