PDA

View Full Version : Haley’s diverse game plans provide offensive boost

zulater
11-11-2012, 06:29 AM
Running back coach Kirby Wilson used the analogy well before Todd Haley was hired as the Steelers’ offensive coordinator.
It just seems to resonate a little louder nowadays.
Wilson’s story goes like this: “If you are going to fix a refrigerator and you have a toolbox full of tools, just take the tools you need to fix the refrigerator. Don’t take the tools you need to fix the television and the air conditioner, too.”
Such an approach is why the Steelers’ offense has been successful in Haley’s first season: It has been multiple, versatile and, most important, not predictable.
Heading into Monday night’s game against Kansas City at Heinz Field, the offense might not be among of the top-ranked units in the league, but it sure has been one of the most diverse.
“We know we have a lot of tools,” Wilson said, “but we will use whatever is necessary to get the job done.”
The offense is doing just that — taking only the necessary tools into each game. Usually, it’s a different tool each week.
“You never want to be one-dimensional,” Wilson said. “But sometimes success lends you to be that way, and you can get out of whack.”
Diversity is something the Steelers were lacking in recent years under former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. He liked bubble screens, deep passes, three tight end sets and throwing on third-and-2.
It led to an offense that put up big numbers at times but that would bog down in the red zone and short-yardage situations.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/2906664-85/haley-game-steelers-offensive-wilson-coordinator-diverse-offense-running-todd#ixzz2Busa6BNQ
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Let's see where this goes. :pop2:

:sofunny:

Seven
11-11-2012, 11:55 AM
:stirthepot: Haha if this thread catches a head of steam it'll be because of Arians. I'll keep my opinions of his offense to myself so I'm not blamed for starting anything.

Maybe it's just because of the talent, but this is the best offense I've ever seen Haley call. He had a tendency to get carried away with one thing or another in Arizona and Kansas City. And I didn't think all that much of his time with the Cowboys when he was "passing game" coach. So either he has really got his system hammered out now or the players are making a huge difference.

GoSlash27
11-11-2012, 12:17 PM
I'll chuck the first Molotov cocktail to get this party started: I like what Haley's doing and I don't miss Arians.
/ There. I said it. :stirthepot:

Texasteel
11-11-2012, 01:40 PM
I'll chuck the first Molotov cocktail to get this party started: I like what Haley's doing and I don't miss Arians.
/ There. I said it. :stirthepot:

It's hard to miss BA when things are going so well right now,,,,,,,,, still, BA is not doing such a bad job with a team that is not suppost to be very good. Seems like a win, win situation to me.

Count Steeler
11-11-2012, 05:33 PM
The best thing that happened to Ben and Bruce was the separation. They are both thriving in their new settings. Nothing against BA, nothing against Ben, but sometimes change pushes us to another level.

Todd has been working well in getting our guys to execute no matter what play is called. Have to give him props for getting this O to gel and I just hope it keeps improving right until the playoffs and the SB.

GBMelBlount
11-11-2012, 05:52 PM
It has been multiple, versatile and, most important, not predictable.

Heading into Monday night’s game against Kansas City at Heinz Field, the offense might not be among of the top-ranked units in the league, but it sure has been one of the most diverse.

“We know we have a lot of tools,” Wilson said, “but we will use whatever is necessary to get the job done.”
The offense is doing just that — taking only the necessary tools into each game. Usually, it’s a different tool each week.

Even though we are nowhere near a top offense in the nfl scoring wise, I like that Haley is kicking the tires. He is pushing the offense in a lot of different directions to test the strengths and weaknesses.

I like how things are progressing and hope we see the pay off in our last 8 games...we still have a lot of work to do if we want to win it all this year.

bayz101
11-11-2012, 06:01 PM
I didn't like Arians from the day he stepped in as coordinator, and i'm glad Haley is calling the plays now. Our offense was predictable, one dimensional and it lacked consistency and red zone efficiency. I like the way things are going now under Haley, and I feel our best players will thrive under Haley.

Dino 6 Rings
11-11-2012, 09:17 PM
I just like having 100 yard rushers and being able to get the ball back with 4 or so minutes left with a lead and the other team never goes in offense again.

Craic
11-11-2012, 09:23 PM
I just like having 100 yard rushers and being able to get the ball back with 4 or so minutes left with a lead and the other team never goes in offense again.

True, but honestly, in many ways I still blame Cowher and Grimm for that - since it was their aging guys with no backups to speak of that we were left with. The only two young guys we had then that could play, was Colon and Starks. I think we were headed for a bad time on the O line regardless of who was calling the plays or who was the RB (or even coach). It also was a case where BAP at the draft was hurting us in some ways, since the last person that had anything to do with the line that they drafted high was Heath Miller. We had to draft LB's and DL'men in a hurry to help us along - and then went BAP with Mendenhall, Sweed, and others.