PDA

View Full Version : Sanders and Steelers fined

stillers4me
11-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter

NFL fined Steelers $35,000 and wide receiver Emanuel Sanders $15,000 for him faking an injury against Bengals.

Devilsdancefloor
11-09-2012, 01:00 PM
well i hope Cruz is next in line.

chenzzo
11-09-2012, 01:01 PM
I'd love to know how they proved he was faking it.

stillers4me
11-09-2012, 01:04 PM
I thopught they had to fine them the week after the game.

Craic
11-09-2012, 01:04 PM
well i hope Cruz is next in line.

I really don't think Cruz was faking it. Look at that hit again - smack into the left lung at the speed he was going. I think Cruz really did get the wind knocked out of him.

On the fine for Sanders, it's a judgment call of course, and I think the judgment is wrong. Period.

stillers4me
11-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanfora
The ruling also notes Sanders had no prior issue of cramping and no signs he was in extreme pain.

Is a player supposed to send out a memo first????

- - - Updated - - -

Ian Rapoport‏@RapSheet
NFL's fine statement for Emmanuel Sanders insinuates he lied to NFL: "Despite the account given by Sanders" evidence doesn't support claims

X-Terminator
11-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Fucking horseshit.

Getting REAL close to being done with the NFL...

bayz101
11-09-2012, 01:09 PM
First of all...

The fine came a week later than regulated fining period. Giants have done this on several occasions without discipline, once in the Super Bowl. Sanders obviously admitted faking, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to prove it.

EDIT: What the FUCK? He said he DIDN'T fake it and he STILL got fined? FUCK THAT SHIT.

Craic
11-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanfora
The ruling also notes Sanders had no prior issue of cramping and no signs he was in extreme pain.

Is a player supposed to send out a memo first????

- - - Updated - - -

Ian Rapoport‏@RapSheet
NFL's fine statement for Emmanuel Sanders insinuates he lied to NFL: "Despite the account given by Sanders" evidence doesn't support claims

My guess would be that they used doctors or sports med people who are used to identifying issues from afar so that they can treat them, and also know how they act/react during that time in a general way. Of course, if they don't believe Sanders, then the logical conclusion is that Sanders lied. Not sure why that's a big deal.

Of course, I wake up in the middle of the night with a cramp, not showing any kind of issue before hand. Then again, if you DO have a cramp, you DON'T hold that leg up in the air as you hope off. That's the absolute worst way of treating it, and almost assures the cramp will come back/continue. I learned that lesson the first time I cramped on the ice as a teenager. Lifted my leg up off the ice and the calf muscle said, "Thank you!" I just about went back down.

Was he faking it? Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was for that reason. But I'm still thinking that the league was wrong, because it's sending a message that unless you have a viewable injury, you shouldn't go down.

stillers4me
11-09-2012, 01:16 PM
“Despite the account given by Sanders during our November 2nd meeting, neither the video sequence of the pertinent plays nor the observations of the on-field official support Sanders’s contention that he was in severe pain, either before, while falling to the ground, lying on the ground, or when he was being assisted in leaving the field,” Anderson wrote. “Moreover, after missing the one play that is mandatory pursuant to the playing rules, and receiving no apparent treatment, Sanders returned to the game for a fourth down punt, on which he out sprinted all of his teammates 26 yards down the field, arriving at the ball ahead of all other Pittsburgh players, and then downing the ball. The video of the play shows Sanders running swiftly and effortlessly toward the punted ball, and then leaving the field with no sign of discomfort. Sanders also played the rest of the game without difficulty. Finally, there is no indication that Sanders has had prior cramping issues while in the NFL, and no Steelers’ medical records or information of any kind were presented that would support a finding that he incurred a cramp that was both as serious and as transient as Sanders suggests.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/09/emmanuel-sanders-steelers-fined-for-fake-injury/

- - - Updated - - -

I think the thing that bothers me the most about crap like this is how the Brown's got a complete pass for playing Colt Mccoy when it was obvious to everybody that the kid didn't even have a clue if he was playing football or Chinese checkers.

X-Terminator
11-09-2012, 01:21 PM
So you're telling me these fines are purely subjective? Really NFL???

ALLD
11-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Bullshit fine. How come the Steelers are always made the prime example when everybody else was doing it first?

Craic
11-09-2012, 01:31 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/09/emmanuel-sanders-steelers-fined-for-fake-injury/

- - - Updated - - -

I think the thing that bothers me the most about crap like this is how the Brown's got a complete pass for playing Colt Mccoy when it was obvious to everybody that the kid didn't even have a clue if he was playing football or Chinese checkers.

Now THAT is an excellent point.

SteelerFanInStl
11-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Another big pile of horse shit from the NFL. Just what I expected.

SCSTILLER
11-09-2012, 01:53 PM
I am just glad the NFL can't fine my wife :eyebrows: Too Far?

fansince'76
11-09-2012, 02:23 PM
So, when the fuck are the Giants going to get fined for this shit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY26rgd4aps

86WARD
11-09-2012, 02:24 PM

This.

steelreserve
11-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Horseshit. They have a rule within 5 minutes of the end of a half to prevent people from faking injuries. This wasn't within 5 minutes; they made a conscious decision to let that kind of thing slide. If they want to change the rule, they can go ahead and do that. They want to make up rules as they go along, they can't do that.

polamalubeast
11-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Jamison Hensley:Steelers deserve hefty fine for faking injury

The NFL has fined numerous players over injuring others whether it's a helmet-to-helmet hit or a personal foul. Now, the league is sending a message that players can be fined for faking an injury, and rightfully so.

The NFL has fined the Steelers $35,000 and wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders $15,000 for his faking an injury in a Week 7 win against the Bengals, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Friday.

The league has to make a hard stance on this issue. By not disciplining Sanders, the NFL is telling other players that they can drop to the ground so their team can avoid using a timeout.

The NFL can't allow this game to turn into soccer, where flopping and acting hurt has become a bad joke. And Sanders shouldn't appeal. If you're going to fake an injury, he's got to do a better job. He dropped to the ground, saying he had a cramp in his calf. But was he back in the game after one play.

If faking an injury becomes more prevalent, the NFL competition committee will be forced to come up with a rule to stop it. Maybe a player who stops a game to receive medical attention needs to sit out the rest of that series, or something to that effect. Let's hope that it doesn't come to that. There's enough injuries in this game that players don't need to fake them.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/58673/faking-an-injury-merits-hefty-fine-for-steelers

silver & black
11-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Bullshit fine. How come the Steelers are always made the prime example when everybody else was doing it first?

Because the Raiders have sucked for so long now that the NFL feels sorry for them, and felt the need to find a new horse to beat??? :chuckle:

fansince'76
11-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Jamison Hensley:Steelers deserve hefty fine for faking injury

The NFL has fined numerous players over injuring others whether it's a helmet-to-helmet hit or a personal foul. Now, the league is sending a message that players can be fined for faking an injury, and rightfully so.

The NFL has fined the Steelers $35,000 and wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders $15,000 for his faking an injury in a Week 7 win against the Bengals, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Friday.

The league has to make a hard stance on this issue. By not disciplining Sanders, the NFL is telling other players that they can drop to the ground so their team can avoid using a timeout.

The NFL can't allow this game to turn into soccer, where flopping and acting hurt has become a bad joke. And Sanders shouldn't appeal. If you're going to fake an injury, he's got to do a better job. He dropped to the ground, saying he had a cramp in his calf. But was he back in the game after one play.

If faking an injury becomes more prevalent, the NFL competition committee will be forced to come up with a rule to stop it. Maybe a player who stops a game to receive medical attention needs to sit out the rest of that series, or something to that effect. Let's hope that it doesn't come to that. There's enough injuries in this game that players don't need to fake them.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/58673/faking-an-injury-merits-hefty-fine-for-steelers

Funny how this Ravens ballwashing tool bitched and moaned (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/57790/ravens-fined-for-not-reporting-reeds-injury) about Harbitch and company getting fined for not disclosing Ed Reed's injury. :coffee:

steel striker
11-09-2012, 02:49 PM
This crap needs to end but, it will never end as long as Worthless Roger is in office. Like FS76 said the Giants have had at least two of these since last year. Cruz better be next. Then how about the refs getting fined as well but, we know that won't happen HELL no one except us have complained about the horrible calls from last weekend game against the Giants.

fansince'76
11-09-2012, 02:50 PM
On the fine for Sanders, it's a judgment call of course, and I think the judgment is wrong. Period.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if they had tagged the Giants for MULTIPLE players doing the EXACT SAME THING last season. Sanders will never be an actor in his post-football life.

Count Steeler
11-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Has DeMaurice Smith said anything? This should be repealed. Quite nauseating.

bayz101
11-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Funny how this Ravens ballwashing tool bitched and moaned (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/57790/ravens-fined-for-not-reporting-reeds-injury) about Harbitch and company getting fined for not disclosing Ed Reed's injury. :coffee:

Gary. This fucking butt-muncher has me seeing red. I absolutely dispose him and his bullshit, homer antics, I really do.

vader29
11-09-2012, 02:57 PM
The video of the play shows Sanders running swiftly and effortlessly toward the punted ball, and then leaving the field with no sign of discomfort.

Should have been written "with suddenness and glide!" :chuckle:

If a player gets called to a meeting to discuss a possible fine, they should just tell the league to f off and not go since the league is going to make a decision on the punishment no matter what the player tells them.

Craic
11-09-2012, 03:00 PM
So, when the fuck are the Giants going to get fined for this shit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY26rgd4aps

In an ironic twist - Sanders's fine comes based on the structure set in place due to that very play.

Horseshit. They have a rule within 5 minutes of the end of a half to prevent people from faking injuries. This wasn't within 5 minutes; they made a conscious decision to let that kind of thing slide. If they want to change the rule, they can go ahead and do that. They want to make up rules as they go along, they can't do that.

no, the rules aren't being made up as they go. The league followed, to the "T," the memo sent out last year after the play FS pointed out.

"Going forward, be advised that should the league office determine that there is reasonable cause, all those suspected of being involved in faking injuries will be summoned promptly to this office ... to discuss the matter. Those found to be violators will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action for conduct detrimental to the game."

So, if a memo was sent out warning teams not to do it, and many of the people in this very forum thought it was fake when it happened (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/15149-Is-Sanders-injured-or-acting), then wouldn't logic dictate that the fine was coming? I mean, as I've said, I personally think it sets a bad precedence on deciding whether someone is or is not injured, but the amount of righteous indignation here is quite funny really, since a lot of people here claim Victor Cruz was faking it, matter of fact, just know that Cruz was faking it.

So if we can know that Cruz was faking it, it doesn't extend that the league can know that Sanders was as well?

vindrow
11-09-2012, 03:14 PM
I have asked this on other boards..I wonder if they are going to fine Victor Cruz for faking a head injury after being hit in the ribs:lol::D:chuckle:

Craic
11-09-2012, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with it if they had tagged the Giants for MULTIPLE players doing the EXACT SAME THING last season. Sanders will never be an actor in his post-football life.

The problem though, is that the incident your speaking of, is what instigated the new procedure, and the memo that came out warning about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Giants didn't do that afterwards, did they? So, once the new procedures where in place, they played according to the rules.

fansince'76
11-09-2012, 03:56 PM
The problem though, is that the incident your speaking of, is what instigated the new procedure, and the memo that came out warning about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Giants didn't do that afterwards, did they? So, once the new procedures where in place, they played according to the rules.

Might have just been sour grapes, but Aaron Rodgers didn't seem to think so (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/giants_canty_didn_fake_injury_vs_nSc3UE5WJT3nQXbEd LDjXN).

When he appeared on NBC’s Super Bowl pregame show before the Giants defeated the Patriots in February, Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers said the Giants faked injuries in their 37-20 win over Green Bay in the NFC divisional playoffs on Jan. 15.

salamander
11-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Bullshit. Absolute bullshit. :mad2:

Craic
11-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Might have just been sour grapes, but Aaron Rodgers didn't seem to think so (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/giants_canty_didn_fake_injury_vs_nSc3UE5WJT3nQXbEd LDjXN).

Though he actually did have surgery on that very same knee - wonder if Sanders is going to have surgery on his calf muscle. :chuckle: It'd sure be "taking one for the team" though, wouldn't it?

SCSTILLER
11-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Is anyone really surprised that this fine happened? It always seems to come our way, first off with James Harrison on Massoquoi? ducking, Clark on several occasions, and now Sanders for "faking" the cramp. Personally, I do beleive that Sanders faked it, but how can the league prove it. Just like a cop coming to my house to give me a speeding ticket and saying, well, I can't prove it, but I beleive you were speeding. Utter BS

Moose
11-09-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm not really surprised that the fine happened, just the amount of time it took to issue it. Sanders needs to take better acting lesson's. My daughter and I both thought he was faking it and even laughed about it, but we both thought he should have 'limped' around on the sideline for awhile, maybe even have a trainer rub on his leg for a few plays. I think him coming back in on the NEXT play not limping, receive the kick, run fine, and stay in for the rest of series was kind of the icing on the cake so to speak. Coaches and trainer's should have known better.

Count Steeler
11-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Should have sprayed his cramp with the soccer miracle spray.

steelreserve
11-09-2012, 08:06 PM
In an ironic twist - Sanders's fine comes based on the structure set in place due to that very play.

no, the rules aren't being made up as they go. The league followed, to the "T," the memo sent out last year after the play FS pointed out.

So, if a memo was sent out warning teams not to do it, and many of the people in this very forum thought it was fake when it happened (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/15149-Is-Sanders-injured-or-acting), then wouldn't logic dictate that the fine was coming? I mean, as I've said, I personally think it sets a bad precedence on deciding whether someone is or is not injured, but the amount of righteous indignation here is quite funny really, since a lot of people here claim Victor Cruz was faking it, matter of fact, just know that Cruz was faking it.

So if we can know that Cruz was faking it, it doesn't extend that the league can know that Sanders was as well?

An excellent point, but ... how do I put this appropriately ... fuck that shit.

tube517
11-09-2012, 08:57 PM
:poop:

Steeldude
11-09-2012, 11:51 PM

Sounds like he admitted it.

GBMelBlount
11-10-2012, 05:48 AM
Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter

NFL fined Steelers $35,000 and wide receiver Emanuel Sanders $15,000 for him faking an injury against Bengals.

Right after Tomlin admitted the refereeing was suspect....just sayin

86WARD
11-10-2012, 06:17 AM
I wonder if Sanders admitted to it. Otherwise, how they prove that he was faking it? Which he most likely was, but still, how can they prove that?

Seven
11-10-2012, 06:59 AM
Who cares, we won. I'd be surprised if Sanders wouldn't do it again for a W.

stillers4me
11-10-2012, 07:15 AM
I will post this a second time, since it's appaent that no one read it the first time.

"Despite the account given by Sanders during our November 2nd meeting, neither the video sequence of the pertinent plays nor the observations of the on-field official support Sanders’s contention that he was in severe pain, either before, while falling to the ground, lying on the ground, or when he was being assisted in leaving the field,” Anderson wrote. “Moreover, after missing the one play that is mandatory pursuant to the playing rules, and receiving no apparent treatment, Sanders returned to the game for a fourth down punt, on which he out sprinted all of his teammates 26 yards down the field, arriving at the ball ahead of all other Pittsburgh players, and then downing the ball. The video of the play shows Sanders running swiftly and effortlessly toward the punted ball, and then leaving the field with no sign of discomfort. Sanders also played the rest of the game without difficulty. Finally, there is no indication that Sanders has had prior cramping issues while in the NFL, and no Steelers’ medical records or information of any kind were presented that would support a finding that he incurred a cramp that was both as serious and as transient as Sanders suggests.”

He says he had a cramp, and they say he is lying.

steelpride12
11-10-2012, 08:58 AM
With how the league's been with fines and justifications lately I'm truly not surprised. Yes, everyone could tell easily that he was faking the injury, but still without true proof how could they fine him.

SMR
11-10-2012, 11:00 AM
I guess this may be Sore Loser Goodell's way of stiffing it to the Steelers for beating the Giants.

:poop::poop::poop:

Craic
11-10-2012, 11:40 AM
An excellent point, but ... how do I put this appropriately ... fuck that shit.

I love your intellectual honesty here. You fully admit the credence of my points, but I am still a little unclear as to how you feel about it. :chuckle:

Honestly, I do agree - fining for every little thing really does get out of hand. A warning would have been sufficient here.

smokin3000gt
11-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Well this is the NFL which stands for:

No need to prove a Fucking thing because Like it or not we call the shots how we want to.

polamalubeast
11-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Steelers' Sanders will appeal $15K fine

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2933456-85/sanders-appeal-fine-steelers-nfl-fines-league-plan-team-trying#axzz2Bh2X64yh

Seven
11-10-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm thinking the union is going to have something to say about this one even if Sanders doesn't appeal.

- - - Updated - - -

Woops - missed that last post. I guess he kind of has to appeal though, if he is sticking to his story about the injury being legit.

BigNastyDefense
11-10-2012, 01:36 PM
IMHO, the NFL has no leg to stand on when it comes to credibility as long as Roger Goodell is in charge. His decisions with how and who the rules apply to is complete bullshit.

I believe that game against the Giants was partially fixed. I believe that Goodell and the National Football League offices wanted the Giants to win the football game for the feel good of the New York/New Jersey area that was severely affected by Hurricane Sandy. I believe the refs were told to help the Giants with calls if and when they could, to help them win the game.

I believe that the Steelers beat not just an inspired New York Giants game, but the referees and Roger Goodell/NFL Offices.

However, it was rather obvious that Sanders faked the cramping injury. He deserved a fine, but I think $15k was too much for a first time offense. And now the NFL is setting a precedent for the next time Emmanuel Sanders actually does cramp up in a game. They can fine him again, because the Steelers have no medical records of him cramping up in the past. The thing is, the #1 and #2 causes of cramps are heat and fatigue. NFL players are top notch athletes, cramping isn't an injury that can be predicted. So I am most interested in seeing what the NFL does when Sanders eventually does cramp up during a game in the future.

steelerdiva
11-10-2012, 02:16 PM
*Blowing a big, fat raspberry in Goodell's direction*

(Mods...can we get an emoticon for this...hmmm?)

Count Steeler
11-10-2012, 03:31 PM
:flap: