PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger Feels No Pressure To Play With Birth Of First Baby Two Weeks Away

polamalubeast
11-09-2012, 11:21 AM
http://burgh.us/hq0

HollywoodSteel
11-09-2012, 11:32 AM
I was just wondering about the due date, with the whole issue coming up for Tillman of the Bears. It figures that if he misses a game it will be against the Ravens. The football gods continue their twisted game with my emotions.

GodfatherofSoul
11-09-2012, 11:37 AM
That baby could come out sideways and he better be there to play the Ravens!

polamalubeast
11-09-2012, 11:44 AM
I was just wondering about the due date, with the whole issue coming up for Tillman of the Bears. It figures that if he misses a game it will be against the Ravens. The football gods continue their twisted game with my emotions.

it will be against the browns....not the ravens

HollywoodSteel
11-09-2012, 11:53 AM
it will be against the browns....not the ravens

How do you figure? That the baby will be late? Look, I can understand (barely) Ben's position on this, but if that kid is too much of a lazy little prick to come out on time then I say you have to induce labor before the Browns game.

Hey, I'm not just being a selfish bastard here, I'm thinking of the mother. This is Big Ben's kid we're talking about. You don't want that sucker growing too big in there. :wink02:

86WARD
11-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Induce Friday. Duh...

fansince'76
11-09-2012, 12:48 PM
How do you figure? That the baby will be late? Look, I can understand (barely) Ben's position on this, but if that kid is too much of a lazy little prick to come out on time then I say you have to induce labor before the Browns game.

Hey, I'm not just being a selfish bastard here, I'm thinking of the mother. This is Big Ben's kid we're talking about. You don't want that sucker growing too big in there. :wink02:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

siss
11-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Remember, Ben will have to live with his wife a lot longer than he will have to live with Steeler nation. He is wise to be at the birth. There will be other games for Ben to win and out guys that him are good to.

Count Steeler
11-09-2012, 05:43 PM
If the baby decides to come on a Sunday, we lose Ben for a game. At this point, Lefty should be more than adequate to hand off and manage the game. Short quick passes and he won't have to run for his life. Heck, the way the O Line is playing, he may not even get injured.

Moose
11-09-2012, 06:31 PM
I do think we discussed this awhile ago, and my feeling is the same. Ben should be with his wife and present for the birth of his son. A MIRACLE in life that he will never forget. I witnessed my daughter's birth and still remember every precious minute, and that was 22 yrs ago. We have to remember, as Count Steeler mentioned, the game is on a Sunday and though it can happen, the odds of it happening THAT particular day is slim. And I have faith that Lefty or Batch can do the job if needed. Naturally it probably won't be as good, but who know's, they could have an outstanding day for the team. Immediate family does come first, Steeler family second.

steelerdude15
11-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Ben, don't miss the birth of your child. Football shouldn't be the most important thing at this point in your life.

siss
11-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Besides that, the child will have the heart of a champion and the blood of a yinzer!

I would bet the first born the child's birth won't effect the game. In fact if anything, the Mrs. will probably end up going into labor because of the game!

tube517
11-09-2012, 08:51 PM
:nono: His hothead OC won't let him be at the hospital :chuckle:

86WARD
11-10-2012, 06:20 AM
I do think we discussed this awhile ago, and my feeling is the same. Ben should be with his wife and present for the birth of his son. A MIRACLE in life that he will never forget. I witnessed my daughter's birth and still remember every precious minute, and that was 22 yrs ago. We have to remember, as Count Steeler mentioned, the game is on a Sunday and though it can happen, the odds of it happening THAT particular day is slim. And I have faith that Lefty or Batch can do the job if needed. Naturally it probably won't be as good, but who know's, they could have an outstanding day for the team. Immediate family does come first, Steeler family second.

Agree with everything here except the faith in Leftwich and Batch...lol.

zulater
11-10-2012, 06:41 AM
There's a 6/7th chance they'll give birth on a non game day. So hopefully this wont be an issue.

I do hope with any future children they plan on a birth date sometime between the beggining of March to the middle of August.

Buckinnuts
11-10-2012, 05:46 PM
schedule a c section for friday...get it done..

HollywoodSteel
11-10-2012, 05:56 PM
They have medical rooms at Heinz field. I'm sure one could easily be set up as an adequate OR for childbirth. I mean, if she's going to have the kid on a Sunday, let's keep it close. No need for Ben to miss the entire game. :wink02:

- - - Updated - - -

There's a 6/7th chance they'll give birth on a non game day. So hopefully this wont be an issue.

I do hope with any future children they plan on a birth date sometime between the beggining of March to the middle of August.

Agreed. Getting his wife pregnant when he did was a horrible call. I have to figure it was made by Arians. :chuckle:

zulater
11-10-2012, 06:10 PM
They have medical rooms at Heinz field. I'm sure one could easily be set up as an adequate OR for childbirth. I mean, if she's going to have the kid on a Sunday, let's keep it close. No need for Ben to miss the entire game. :wink02:

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. Getting his wife pregnant when he did was a horrible call. I have to figure it was made by Arians. :chuckle:

I would chalk this one up to being newlyweds. Figure they just kept tearing them off until she got pregnant. :chuckle:

But hopefully with baby one out of the way they'll give a little forethought to the timing of baby 2 and beyond.

zulater
11-12-2012, 05:25 AM
http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/steigerwald11/11-11-steigerwald-column

John Steigerwald's take

To play or not to play. That’s the question that arose again recently when Chicago Bears cornerback Charles Tillman let it be known that, if his pregnant wife gave birth on game day, he would miss the game to witness the birth.
It’s become a local issue with Ben Roethlisberger’s wife getting closer to her due date. She’s going to give birth to their first son in the next few weeks.

It would be interesting to determine how many billions of sons have been born on this planet without their fathers witnessing the birth.

It’s a relatively new phenomenon. I seem to remember a time when the father was the last person the doctors, nurses and often the mother wanted in the delivery room.

At first glance, it seems like a no-brainer. Play a football game or see your son being born. Family always trumps work.
And 99 percent of the time it is a no-brainer. But sometimes, when a person accepts a position of responsibility and leadership and the money that goes with it, he should understand that other people’s lives are directly affected by his personal decisions.

A guy whose employer is paying him $100 million to be the focal point of a billion dollar enterprise would be one of those people. That wouldn’t even include all NFL quarterbacks, but it sure would include Roethlisberger – and not necessarily Tillman.

The chances are slim that Roethlisberger will be put in a position to make that call, but if he is, he has to consider the work that his coaches and teammates have invested in the success of the team and the money that his bosses have invested in him and play the game. Fans are not a consideration, by the way. This isn’t about entertainment; it’s about commitment.

He can watch the replay.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got to admit Steigerwald makes a compelling argument that Ben should play.

Count Steeler
11-12-2012, 05:51 AM
The chances are slim that Roethlisberger will be put in a position to make that call, but if he is, he has to consider the work that his coaches and teammates have invested in the success of the team and the money that his bosses have invested in him and play the game. Fans are not a consideration, by the way. This isn’t about entertainment; it’s about commitment.

He can watch the replay.

2 Points. I would hope the coaches and Ben have discussed this situation and they have worked out a contingency plan.

No matter how dire the scenario being presented, this is still a game, and it IS just entertainment. Again, I hope the coaches and Ben have discussed this and they have worked out a contingency plan.

HollywoodSteel
11-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Clearly, no one can force him to be there. It's not like he's gonna get cut for missing a game. But if he does, I think he should give up a game check. The fact that the commodity is entertainment is irrelevant. The entertainment factor only ups the stakes because there are fans who take wins and losses personally, but ultimately it's about family commitment over financial commitment. And I certainly agree with others that it his choice to make and I could understand his decision either way. But like I said, the consequence of his decision should be his to bear as well. He should discuss with his wife if him being at the birth is worth over a million dollars. It probably is to them, and if so, go for it. But it's easy to say family should trump financial commitment when it's someone else who's taking the financial hit.

siss
11-12-2012, 01:05 PM

John Steigerwald's take

To play or not to play. That’s the question that arose again recently when Chicago Bears cornerback Charles Tillman let it be known that, if his pregnant wife gave birth on game day, he would miss the game to witness the birth.
It’s become a local issue with Ben Roethlisberger’s wife getting closer to her due date. She’s going to give birth to their first son in the next few weeks.

It would be interesting to determine how many billions of sons have been born on this planet without their fathers witnessing the birth.

It’s a relatively new phenomenon. I seem to remember a time when the father was the last person the doctors, nurses and often the mother wanted in the delivery room.

At first glance, it seems like a no-brainer. Play a football game or see your son being born. Family always trumps work.
And 99 percent of the time it is a no-brainer. But sometimes, when a person accepts a position of responsibility and leadership and the money that goes with it, he should understand that other people’s lives are directly affected by his personal decisions.

A guy whose employer is paying him $100 million to be the focal point of a billion dollar enterprise would be one of those people. That wouldn’t even include all NFL quarterbacks, but it sure would include Roethlisberger – and not necessarily Tillman.

He can watch the replay.

- - - Updated - - -

John Steigerwald would criticize ben if he was missing the birth. Ben can do no right in his, I would ignore anything he writes about Ben.

Bluecoat96
11-12-2012, 02:09 PM

John Steigerwald's take

He can watch the replay.

- - - Updated - - -

I will always disagree....there is NO argument that can be made in my eyes that would ever justify playing a football game over seeing your child being born. NONE.

SteelerFanInStl
11-12-2012, 02:21 PM
I will always disagree....there is NO argument that can be made in my eyes that would ever justify playing a football game over seeing your child being born. NONE.

Agreed. We already discussed this topic in here when Ben first announced it.

Craic
11-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Absolutely agreed. One is a game, one is life. If my employer told me I couldn't leave, I'd quite on the spot. Children aren't a "woman's thing," they're a "family" thing and as such, Ben absolutely should be there.

zulater
11-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Absolutely agreed. One is a game, one is life. If my employer told me I couldn't leave, I'd quite on the spot. Children aren't a "woman's thing," they're a "family" thing and as such, Ben absolutely should be there.

No one is suggesting the Steelers force his hand. It's entirely Ben's decision ( if Ashley goes into labor at the wrong time) and no one is going to begrudge him if he misses a game over the birth of his child.

My only point he's not the most horrible man on earth if he plays the game. Me personally, I was present when my son was born, and for a normal job I wouldn't think of missing that moment. But if I were the qb of the Steelers?

I don't know?. Not as easy of a choice as you people want to say. If we lose the division by one game and end up getting ousted in Denver @ Denver once again, and that loss was the difference... well that's something you've got to live with.

stillers4me
11-12-2012, 04:30 PM
If she goes into labor on game day, he'll be criticized no matter what he does.

Go be with your lovely lady and be there to when your son is born, Ben. There's always another game, another season. He'd always regret not being there for a birth of a child.

zulater
11-12-2012, 04:40 PM
As a society we've come a long way and I don't know if it's good or bad. :lol: If this was the 60's and this were Bart Starr and Lombardi's Packers I guarantee you Bart wasn't missing that game!

Hell I'm not sure if my own dad was in the delivery room when I was born. I seriously doubt it in fact.

We've become a bunch of Alan Alda's!

Count Steeler
11-12-2012, 05:01 PM
As a society we've come a long way and I don't know if it's good or bad. :lol: If this was the 60's and this were Bart Starr and Lombardi's Packers I guarantee you Bart wasn't missing that game!

Hell I'm not sure if my own dad was in the delivery room when I was born. I seriously doubt it in fact.

We've become a bunch of Alan Alda's!

I for one am glad I was at the birth of my 2 boys. Not just for them, but more so for my wife.

To each his own, but Lefty should at least earn part of his pay this year, if needed.

zulater
11-15-2012, 05:47 AM
If nothing else I guess with Ben's injuries this topic has been put to rest. :lol: Hard to envision the baby not coming out before Ben's ready to play again.

Edman
11-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Ben feels no pressure, but he'll feel plenty of pain that will keep him out.

The guy can go chill out for a bit.