PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Two running backs could be ticket for success

Count Steeler
11-08-2012, 05:17 AM
On The Steelers: Two running backs could be ticket for success

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

So the coach has decided to go with the hot running back most of the time, yet he has two hot running backs. What might he do?
Isaac Redman may have the answer. Put them both back there. The Steelers installed a counter play that involved Redman and fullback Will Johnson last week. Redman initially thought it was for two halfbacks.
"We had a split backfield with me and the fullback, Will Johnson, and we were running that cross, and he was cutting off the end," Redman said. "He would get the carry if it was called for him. I was thinking, maybe we could have two tailbacks back there at the same time."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-two-rbs-could-be-ticket-for-success-661108/#ixzz2Bd3ARaH6

Psycho Ward 86
11-09-2012, 02:20 AM
and how about Will Johnson people? Not sure if he's consistently better but he blocks with a lot more ferocity than DJ does, although i really like DJ too. Going to be interesting to see who we keep next season. Loaded at runningback and fullback. 2 good problems to have.

Seven
11-09-2012, 02:27 AM
and how about Will Johnson people? Not sure if he's consistently better but he blocks with a lot more ferocity than DJ does, although i really like DJ too. Going to be interesting to see who we keep next season. Loaded at runningback and fullback. 2 good problems to have.

I'm a big fan of DJ, too. But I don't see how they could take Will Johnson out of that fullback spot. Maybe DJ plays third tight end/backup fullback next year? I would rather he make the roster than Leonard Pope, but I think Pope is a favorite of Haley's so that might not be realistic.

Psycho Ward 86
11-09-2012, 02:30 AM
I'm a big fan of DJ, too. But I don't see how they could take Will Johnson out of that fullback spot. Maybe DJ plays third tight end/backup fullback next year? I would rather he make the roster than Leonard Pope, but I think Pope is a favorite of Haley's so that might not be realistic.

im curious to see how DJ would do in Haley's offense. totally forgot he hasnt had the full opportunity yet. maybe that makes the difference. No fullback with arians remember :chuckle:

Seven
11-09-2012, 02:41 AM
im curious to see how DJ would do in Haley's offense. totally forgot he hasnt had the full opportunity yet. maybe that makes the difference. No fullback with arians remember :chuckle:

Yeah, I don't know the contract situation we're in with DJ without looking, but I would be disappointed if he doesn't get an opportunity to compete for a spot on the team next year. With a coordinator who really hasn't seen him at all, I'm worried the production from Will Johnson could simply make Haley view him as expendable going into the offseason or camp.

86WARD
11-09-2012, 07:40 AM

He's silently becoming one of my favorite players...lol.

steelreserve
11-09-2012, 08:15 PM
I like this Johnson a ton better than the old one. He can really play fullback/H-back. D. Johnson reminded me of a sort of converted TE who wasn't that good at TE and just OK at FB. He almost never caught any passes, and he couldn't even be used to run the ball at all. Basically he was just an extra blocker and we were playing 10-on-10.