PDA

View Full Version : What's Changed for the Pittsburgh Steelers Run Game over Last 3 Weeks?

polamalubeast
11-06-2012, 02:27 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1397053-whats-changed-for-the-pittsburgh-steelers-run-game-over-last-3-weeks

Psycho Ward 86
11-06-2012, 02:37 PM
the O-line play.

/thread

Count Steeler
11-06-2012, 03:05 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2ym7fo8.gif

JayC
11-06-2012, 03:11 PM
offensive line has been a wonderful surpise this year! just wait until decastro is ready! finally we don't need to think OL with the first round pick anymore

ALLD
11-06-2012, 06:09 PM
An effective short-yardage passing game has a lot in common with running the ball in terms of blocking philosophies and formations, and those similarities serve to throw off defenses. They may always be playing close, but they don't know entirely what they're looking at. The element of surprise is absolutely a factor when it comes to the Steelers running more effectively.

salamander
11-06-2012, 06:35 PM
The o-line.

Devilsdancefloor
11-06-2012, 10:00 PM
the same Oline for those games!

GBMelBlount
11-06-2012, 10:03 PM
An effective short-yardage passing game has a lot in common with running the ball in terms of blocking philosophies and formations, and those similarities serve to throw off defenses.

They may always be playing close, but they don't know entirely what they're looking at. The element of surprise is absolutely a factor when it comes to the Steelers running more effectively.

Soooo...are you saying we are less predictable? :wink02:

LLT
11-07-2012, 12:29 AM
1) as mentioned...the short yard passing game keeps the defense honest and they cant gamble as often by bringing an extra defender into the box

2) The O-line is starting to gel....trust each other...and subsequently the RB's are trusting the line.

Seven
11-07-2012, 12:36 AM
The offensive line has been run blocking to this level all season. My guess is Dwyer getting playing time + Redman's health getting a little more stable is really what has made the difference these last three weeks. I think healthy running backs are the key, look at the game Mendenhall was healthy for. He ran for something like 80 yards in that game. If we can keep any of the top three guys on the field at one time, there is no reason this trend shouldn't continue.

Psycho Ward 86
11-07-2012, 02:26 AM
The offensive line has been run blocking to this level all season.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/001/582/picard-facepalm.jpg?1240934151

Seven
11-07-2012, 02:43 AM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/001/582/picard-facepalm.jpg?1240934151

If I went back and watched the first slate of games from this year on Replay I could produce dozens of screenshots of Starks, Colon, Legursky/Pouncey and Foster opening up monster holes that were never utilized. Believe me, I sure as hell noticed them at the time.

Why is it more reasonable to believe the same batch of starting linemen suddenly became dominant than it is to believe healthy players in the backfield are simply making the difference?

Edman
11-07-2012, 06:05 AM
Willie Colon smashing Burfict was the play that changed everything. I said it before, and I'll say it again. Willie Colon singlehandedly changed the Bengals game (and the season) with that one play. THAT single pancake shifted the fortunes of this team.

The O-Line had been much maligned beforehand for how soft it was, every, and I mean EVERY team pushed it around this unit for years. A man named Willie Colon emerged and said "No More". I think on that play he was tired of the crap. Every opponent since has felt the wrath of a frustrated and angry unit that was tired of being bullied.

LLT
11-07-2012, 06:12 AM
If I went back and watched the first slate of games from this year on Replay I could produce dozens of screenshots of Starks, Colon, Legursky/Pouncey and Foster opening up monster holes that were never utilized. Believe me, I sure as hell noticed them at the time.

Why is it more reasonable to believe the same batch of starting linemen suddenly became dominant than it is to believe healthy players in the backfield are simply making the difference?

Because we had 7 different starting lineups in the first 6 games? And the emergence of the run game coincides perfectly with stability in the lineup?

Seven
11-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Because we had 7 different starting lineups in the first 6 games? And the emergence of the run game coincides perfectly with stability in the lineup?

It also coincides with Dwyer getting on the field and Redman playing maybe his first semi-healthy game of the season. As I pointed out in my previous post, Mendenhall had a solid game in week five at Philly, but we seem to forget about that. I think it's fair to say he didn't accomplish a 5.2 yards per carry average without help from the offensive line? It's fine if you want to believe the line as an entire unit has improved because they are "gelling". But from a run blocking standpoint I haven't seen anything different over the last three weeks than I saw at the beginning of the season. Particularly against Oakland, the interior manhandled the Raiders up front on half a dozen occasions where Redman/Batch simply missed the hole. The misnomer that the line has suddenly become this monster run blocking unit overnight just doesn't sit well with me. Feel free to disagree if you like, that's fine, but I'm not going to apologize for an opinion that is completely backed up on tape.

GoSlash27
11-08-2012, 05:54 PM
the O-line play.

/thread

http://www.homepagedaily.com/uploads/20090520/7ff75d05-ac8c-4e07-89be-6052864b562a/win-one-internet.jpg