PDA

View Full Version : Steelers First 8 games vs. Your Expectations

GBMelBlount
11-05-2012, 07:44 PM
How do you feel the feel the Steelers are sitting / looking at the half way point vs. your preseason expectations?

polamalubeast
11-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Good,but not great but I am very happy right now, because the steelers were 2-3 after the week 6

But the important thing is finish the season strong!

Psycho Ward 86
11-05-2012, 08:02 PM
i had us at 10-6 or 11-5 so its about where i thought they would be. Although i didnt imagine we'd lose to the raiders or beat the giants

Steelman
11-05-2012, 08:04 PM
I had cautiously optimistic hopes preseason, which were quickly dashed over the first several games. But for the slow start, I think the real character of the team is beginning to shine through.

My opinion of where we sit 8 games in:

The offense is better with Todd Haley. Big Ben is at an all-time best, he's still that same gunslinger, but he's become an efficient one now, that's something special. After such a poor rushing attack early, the backs have really stepped it up behind a sudden discovery of a nasty streak by the O-line. I know Colon may never be a great guard, but dang if that dude hasn't settled in and become straight up thug. The line has been holding their own, and Ben's getting hit WAY less than ever. That is key.

Defense was a major concern in the first quarter of the season, but they seem to be turning it around (and as someone mentioned, learning how to play without Troy). Keenan Lewis has blossomed recently. Some of the guys who've been battling injuries, The Beard, Hamp, Harrison, they're starting to get back to form. I gotta say I was very critical of the defense, especially everyone's insistence in being patient with their system, but they were right.

Special teams are frustrating. AB is a solid punt returner, Rainey is electric, but the ST coverage is so bad. Definitely needs a lot of work. That's something we're gonna want to be at least serviceable come playoff time.

Solid road win by the team, gutting it out against negative circumstances. I think they've got their minds in the right place. The next four weeks will define the season. KC, BAL, CLE, BAL. Two Ratbird contests in three weeks is rough. I don't know if we'll win all of them, but I think the guys have found a swagger that might help propel them to the top. I noticed it during the Giants game, about halfway through after that string of bad calls and finding themselves in a sticky situation. Something clicked.

Getting AB, Mendy, and Troy healthy will be key for us down the stretch. But I feel confident.

86WARD
11-05-2012, 09:12 PM
They have been doing much better than I expected after the first few weeks...much better...

CPanther95
11-10-2012, 07:04 PM
I expected 6-2 because Tomlin always started 6-2, but if you told me that we would beat both the Eagles and Giants - I would have assumed we would be 7-1 or 8-0 at this point.

Having said that, the way we look right now compared to the rest of the league - I think we are a stronger team than I thought we would be.

steeldawg
11-10-2012, 07:16 PM
I voted worse than i expected, i didnt expect everyone to be injured i didnt expect to lose to oak or ten but we have been stepping it up.

Craic
11-10-2012, 07:55 PM
I've said it before - I expect the Steelers to be 3-3 or better in the first six games of the season. Every since the early days of Cowher, that's been the mark of this team. 3-3 or better equals a good chance at the playoffs and a run to the SB.

So in general, it's right about what I expected. The parts haven't operated in the way I thought they would, but the overall effect is right there.