PDA

View Full Version : Steelers #1 in Total Defense and Passing Defense

Merchant
11-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Yup. You read correctly.

It's not San Fran or Chicago. Our "aging" boys are once again #1 in Total Defense and Passing Defense.

I was beginning to have my doubts after the way the season started. But it seems like Lebeau has the squad back on track!

polamalubeast
11-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Sometimes stats are misleading

The defense has been incredible in the last 3 games, but the defense of the bears and the 49ers are far better than the steelers....The Bears defense has made 29 turnovers and 7 TD this year!!

But I am very happy of the last 3 games of the Steelers defense

Edman
11-05-2012, 09:45 AM
#1 in Yards per game.

#1 in Pass Defense.

#7 in Rush Defense

#9 in points allowed. San Fran is #1 in points given up. Chicago is right behind them. That's the important stat to me, also, they've been generation loads of turnovers.

Edman
11-05-2012, 09:53 AM
The AFC North, once the division that prided itself on being a Defensive Division hasn't been faring too well this year.

The Steelers are where they are, but the Bengals, Browns, and Ravens are 20th, 23rd, and 26th in overall Defense. They're gonna be better, but the AFC North has dropped off big time on Defense.

fansince'76
11-05-2012, 09:55 AM
They actually lived up to that billing yesterday. I'm still concerned about the pass rush, but I'm very pleased with Keenan Lewis' development.

Psycho Ward 86
11-05-2012, 10:08 AM
that's what the stats indicate but part of it has to do with the ball control offense. opposing qb's see the field for such a small amount of time. Houston, San Fran, and Chicago are much more
menacing defenses in all aspects including our "number 1" categories. but I agree, good to see a turn around

BnG_Hevn
11-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Not saying that the Bears' defense is not good, but you need to analyze some of those TDs / INTs.

The Carolina game, Newton threw the ball to (I think) Steve Smith who fell down, it was a timing route. The Bears' defender played catch and took it into the end zone.

It's not like their TDs were all "earned". If you drill a WR who coughs up the ball for an INT that is taken to the end zone then you have something there.

But if you're basically "gifted" an INT for TD, well, the stats read one way but reality another.

steelreserve
11-05-2012, 01:43 PM
We might be ranked #1 statistically, but there are several teams who I'd put ahead of us in terms of effectiveness.

Over the last three games, though, we've been pretty dominant. If we can CONTINUE to play that way, then I'd say the #1 rank is well-deserved.

Psycho Ward 86
11-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Not saying that the Bears' defense is not good, but you need to analyze some of those TDs / INTs.

The Carolina game, Newton threw the ball to (I think) Steve Smith who fell down, it was a timing route. The Bears' defender played catch and took it into the end zone.

It's not like their TDs were all "earned". If you drill a WR who coughs up the ball for an INT that is taken to the end zone then you have something there.

But if you're basically "gifted" an INT for TD, well, the stats read one way but reality another.

wasnt even talking about scores produced by defense. Thats pretty much irrelevant as far as how good a defense is, its just a good bonus for a team to have. Not sure anyone can provide a valid argument that there is a pair of corners out there on the same team playing better than Jennings and Tillman.

steelpride12
11-05-2012, 02:30 PM
I just never agreed or look at stats much. The Bears and 49ers are hands down the best in the league regardless of numbers. I think of the past 3 games, yes the Steelers have dominated on defense, but remember they are not forcing turnovers and or points off turnovers like the other teams mentioned above. I give them credit for their past few performances no doubt, but let's see if they can continue this trend the rest of the season.