PDA

View Full Version : PI penalty is ridiculous and should be revisited.

plenewken
11-05-2012, 06:48 AM
I don't know about you guys but, to me, the penalty for a pass interference doesn't make any sense. Not only the determination of a PI is very subjective and most of the time controversial, but the sanction is completely disproportionate.
A 50yds pass with interference results in a 50yds penalty??? That's ridiculous.
The sanction should be the same as in College football. Automatic 1st down where the PI occurs and no more than 15yds from the line of scrimmage That's more than enough, IMO.
What do you guys think?

X-Terminator
11-05-2012, 07:39 AM
I don't know about you guys but, to me, the penalty for a pass interference doesn't make any sense. Not only the determination of a PI is very subjective and most of the time controversial, but the sanction is completely disproportionate.
The sanction should be the same as in College football. Automatic 1st down where the PI occurs and no more than 15yds from the line of scrimmage That's more than enough, IMO.
What do you guys think?

I've been a big supporter of going to the college PI rule for years. It's ridiculous that that is a spot-foul, and it's a huge advantage for the offense...which of course means the rule will never be changed. I'm surprised there hasn't been a push for this by the coaches and players.

Moose
11-05-2012, 07:59 AM
I'm agreeing with both of you guy's on this one. The PI is ridiculous in the NFL. First of all, as said, this is a pure judgmental call, as was seen Sunday vs. Giants when, I believe Lewis had his hand UNDER the shoulder of the receiver and was flagged for PI. Even the announcer ( Collinsworth) said it was a terrible call. Giant's got the ball in the red zone and scored a play or two later. A 'gimmee' from the ref's. The rule should be discussed at the summer meeting's and changed. Again, as mentioned above, some teams go deep just for the chance of a PI called, and why not ? Go deep, and in most cases it's either incomplete, caught or PI'd.)

Drazo85
11-05-2012, 08:40 AM
I have to agree with you guys on this, but i also have to say that is possible, if the PI rule changes, that a back if he`s beaten commits the penalty on purpose, and turn a gain of 30 or 40 yards into a 15 yard penalty.

steeldevil
11-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Completely disagree. The way it is in college is WAY too big an advantage to the defense. A db gets beat on a bomb he can just tackle the wr. And it only 15 yards? Bull.

It's fine the way it is.

katmandu
11-05-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm Copy/Pasting my reply in the Clark Hit thread since it is totally relevant to this topic.

Any Penalty flag thrown that results in 15 Yards or more (Pass Interference) should be automatically reviewed in the booth.

These NON-penalties are so damaging to the Game being played, the Player's (reputation) being flagged and most importantly to the integrity of the NFL.

Also, the NFL needs to track the Refs who are throwing out these bad calls (if they aren't already). Then the Ref in question needs to have negative consequences placed on him as a result.

In my line of work, if I fukk up, people DIE (I'm a Clinical Scientist)....Give out the wrong unit of Blood to a patient or wrong Lab results etc... I would think there are consequences for YOU also if you fukk up in your job as well. RIGHT ?

I really hope the Owner's take a look at this in the future

steelreserve
11-05-2012, 10:30 AM
I have to agree with you guys on this, but i also have to say that is possible, if the PI rule changes, that a back if he`s beaten commits the penalty on purpose, and turn a gain of 30 or 40 yards into a 15 yard penalty.

That's the one thing people are always saying to defend the current rule, but I don't understand it at all. If a DB is close enough to commit deliberate interference, he's also close enough to try and break up the pass. He CAN'T have been beaten so badly that he has no chance. On 30 and 40-yard pass plays, there's also a huge chance that the ball is overthrown or the receiver just doesn't catch it for some other reason. No defender is going to deliberately take a 15-yard penalty and an automatic first down. That's never a good play.

It's completely ludicrous to give the offense a spot foul a play that may have had a 1-in-4 chance of working anyway. You're giving a huge payout for throwing up 50-yard junkballs into coverage and rolling the dice that the refs give you a call. That second PI penalty came on a play that was nothing less than a desperation heave by Manning, just chuck the ball up in the air as hard as you can. Essentially, they're rewarding guys for making horrible low-percentage plays. Complete horseshit.

Psycho Ward 86
11-05-2012, 10:37 AM
its fine the way it is. a lot of people are just having knee jerk reactions about what wouldve been most convenient for us at the time. Unfortunate that Lewis got flagged on ONE of those PI calls, but its fine, bad calls happen.

Craic
11-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Let's think about this penalty for a second. One of our speed receivers puts a move on a guy and sprints down the sideline. He has everyone beat, but the safety is able to come over and dive, swiping his leg and knocking him down. It's a sure TD, let alone a 50 + yard pass. The penalty? 15 yards.

Almost every person on this board would be screaming about the unfairness of that penalty.

I think it'd be better to give both options. The receiver stops and comes back for the ball and the DB runs into him without looking back, 10 yard PI. Player reaches out and yanks on the jersey, stopping momentum and the ability to get to the ball - or hits the player before the ball gets there, the ball is put at the spot of the foul.

I'm not sure about PI calls being reviewable. While I would have loved it last night, the fact is, if we're going to review that, then we might as well have every foul reviewed. Like it or not, the ability to challenge a ref's call on a penalty is a bad thing. The one place I will give in here, is on personal fouls concerning head shots. If a guy is on the ground injured, then immediately throw the flag and let the reviewer upstairs determine whether it was a headshot or not. It won't break the flow of the game because the guy is already down.

Dino 6 Rings
11-05-2012, 12:22 PM
There should be a delay of game penalty on the qb for being such an a-hole that he goes for the pass interference penalty deep prayer desperation throw over actually attempting a real pass.

Said tongue in cheek of coarse, but I am pretty tired of the 3rd and long heave pass for the penalty crap I see every week in the NFL.

Moose
11-05-2012, 12:29 PM
That's the one thing people are always saying to defend the current rule, but I don't understand it at all. If a DB is close enough to commit deliberate interference, he's also close enough to try and break up the pass. He CAN'T have been beaten so badly that he has no chance. On 30 and 40-yard pass plays, there's also a huge chance that the ball is overthrown or the receiver just doesn't catch it for some other reason. No defender is going to deliberately take a 15-yard penalty and an automatic first down. That's never a good play.

It's completely ludicrous to give the offense a spot foul a play that may have had a 1-in-4 chance of working anyway. You're giving a huge payout for throwing up 50-yard junkballs into coverage and rolling the dice that the refs give you a call. That second PI penalty came on a play that was nothing less than a desperation heave by Manning, just chuck the ball up in the air as hard as you can. Essentially, they're rewarding guys for making horrible low-percentage plays. Complete horseshit.

Excellent reply !! Can't agree more, or say it any better !!

Drazo85
11-05-2012, 12:59 PM

I`m not defending the rule, i`m just saying its possible in a game situation that back deliberatly makes the PI. Sure, chances for that to happen are not big, but its not impossible. And when that happens, that rule would stopped making sense. I`m playing the game by the college rules, and i have seen my fair share of guys making PI on purpose. Actually here some of the coaches are asking of their guys to make such plays. PI was never a issue ten years ago, it started being a an issue when Goodell stepped on the podium. PI rule is here to stay, and i am not happy about it, but i`m going with it as long as my team wins.

steeldawg
11-05-2012, 05:44 PM
What do you guys think?

Have to disagree if they did that dbs in this league would gladly take the 15 as opposed to giving up the big play, they would just be tackiling recievers on deep balls if the reciever had a step.

tube517
11-05-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm tired of rule changes. Leave the damn game the way it is. PI, Overtime,Kickoffs from the 30 or 35, all the sissy rules, replay, etc etc etc. I am so tired of all these things being changed. It's making the refs dumber than they already are and second guessing themselves.