PDA

View Full Version : Sacrifice pays off for "noble" Steelers.

zulater
11-05-2012, 06:14 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/sacrifice_pays_off_for_noble_steelers_qRc4TccdQ8GA KC1pA90IKM

The Steelers did their part for the New York metropolitan area in the wake of the devastation Hurricane Sandy had left behind, so maybe they had this coming to them.

Maybe karma had a hand in the Steelers’ 24-20 comeback victory over the Giants yesterday at MetLife Stadium.

You could have made an argument the Steelers were already trailing the Giants before the opening kickoff, based on the rare day-of-game trip they made from Pittsburgh to New Jersey.

Late last week, the Steelers decided not to travel to the area on Saturday because they did not want to take up hotel rooms that could otherwise house families displaced from their homes because of the storm. So they sacrificed.

“One word comes to mind — noble,’’ Giants coach Tom Coughlin said on Friday, addressing the Steelers’ actions.

“We talked to a lot of people, including the state police, and they said it would be helpful if we didn’t stay in a hotel,’’ Steelers owner Dan Rooney told The Post after the game. “That’s all we wanted to be, helpful. We don’t want to he held up like we did anything special. Hopefully this is the way we act.’’

They acted with class off the field in making that organizational decision and they acted with resilience on the field yesterday in a game they looked for much of the afternoon like they were going to lose.

SMR
11-05-2012, 04:14 PM
That's yet ANOTHER good reason to be a Steelers fan.

:tt02:

Count Steeler
11-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Kudos to the FO. Well done.

Steeldude
11-06-2012, 01:10 AM
They will probably be fined

fansince'76
11-06-2012, 02:12 AM
Very reminiscent of the anecdote about the Chief once giving up his hotel suite for a young couple to have their wedding in.

stillers4me
11-06-2012, 05:13 AM
Glad we are being seen as the good guys for a change. I'm surprised someone isn't spinning this into a negative in some way.

steelpride12
11-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Nice to see some positive news about the Steelers. Noble is the perfect word to use in this situation!

Craic
11-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Article's a little over the top for me. "Noble" isn't the word I'd use here.

But, that's because I completely agree with what Rooney said. It's what we hope anyone would do. Either way, it was the right move and I'm glad the Steelers made it. It's also nice to see the NY/NJ press recognize it - though it does pale in comparison to what they're going through.