PDA

View Full Version : Man! Just think about this for a minute........

katmandu
11-04-2012, 10:43 PM
..... What if Troy, Spence, DeCastro, Gilbert were ALL healthy and playing up to their potential right now!

Wow! I mean.... WOW !!

HEY! A man can dream right ?!?!

SMR
11-05-2012, 04:09 PM
..... What if Troy, Spence, DeCastro, Gilbert were ALL healthy and playing up to their potential right now!

Wow! I mean.... WOW !!

And that is a beautiful dream!!

plenewken
11-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Who knows what could have happened?
I've watched the Steelers will all their starters play like sh*t and lose to bottom feeders, and I've seen them depleted, play great and beat top teams, like yesterday.

Psycho Ward 86
11-05-2012, 04:55 PM

Wow! I mean.... WOW !!

you sure dream big :chuckle:

GodfatherofSoul
11-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Gilbert would trip over his own feet in the tunnel and roll over all their ankles at once. Then, they'd all fall on his ankle.

Devilsdancefloor
11-05-2012, 06:50 PM
i dont think Gilbert or decastro gets there job back when they are healthy the oline is playing lights out

HollywoodSteel
11-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Gilbert is a tough one. I think at this point he is a better pass protector than Adams but Adams is better in the run game. Not sure what I would do. Maybe let Adams continue to improve in a trial by fire way? They both deserve to be starting right tackles in this league. Does anyone here have a strong opinion?

GBMelBlount
11-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Who knows what could have happened?
I've watched the Steelers will all their starters play like sh*t and lose to bottom feeders, and I've seen them depleted, play great and beat top teams, like yesterday.

Funny how that works. So true.

Craic
11-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Gilbert is a tough one. I think at this point he is a better pass protector than Adams but Adams is better in the run game. Not sure what I would do. Maybe let Adams continue to improve in a trial by fire way? They both deserve to be starting right tackles in this league. Does anyone here have a strong opinion?

I don't have a strong opinion per se on RT, but I was paying attention yesterday to the way Adams was sealing off for the run again. He really is doing well on that account. As for pass defense, well, it's saying something when it takes the likes of Justin Tuck to make you look like the rookie you are. I'm not saying Adams has been outstanding at RT by any means, but I do think he's doing really well for a rookie being thrown into the fire, especially after getting injured.

I think the bigger question for me, is whether Gilbert can play left tackle. Adams didn't look too good there before. If Gilbert can make that switch, then let him challenge Starks for that spot over the next couple of years.

The way Foster is playing right now, I don't know if DeCastro would have been any better. He was lost as soon as he got to the second level (typical rookie issue - nothing against him as a player), and Foster knows what to do. DeCastro's our long term guy, but I just don't think that he'd be better than Foster right now with the way Foster has played the last few games.

CPanther95
11-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Would have been nice - but we shouldn't have needed them against the Raiders or Titans.

Chidi29
11-10-2012, 07:35 PM
The big problem with Adams is that he struggles to mirror. Opens the gate too early because he's concerned about getting beat around the edge and DEs counter to the inside. I think the two sacks he's given up in recent weeks have come in that manner.

But he's really impressed me. Certainly not looking like a rookie and as you guys mentioned, a big factor in the running game. Much better at it than Gulbert who comes from that Starks, "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" mold.

zulater
11-10-2012, 07:43 PM
The big problem with Adams is that he struggles to mirror. Opens the gate too early because he's concerned about getting beat around the edge and DEs counter to the inside. I think the two sacks he's given up in recent weeks have come in that manner.

But he's really impressed me. Certainly not looking like a rookie and as you guys mentioned, a big factor in the running game. Much better at it than Gulbert who comes from that Starks, "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" mold.

Told you Preach, if I had graded Max any higher Chidi's keyboard would have asploded! :heh:

GBMelBlount
11-10-2012, 07:48 PM

It sounds to me like he is getting beat inside because he is compensating for his tendency to get beat outside by speed rushers.

Getting beat by edge rushers also a problem that Starks has had, isn't it?

So I guess my question is....is his problem with speed edge rushers likely chronic or is it more likely a weakness which can be greatly diminished through hard work and development.

Chidi29
11-10-2012, 07:51 PM
It sounds to me like he is getting beat inside because he is compensating for his tendency to get beat outside by speed rushers.

Getting beat by edge rushers also a problem that Starks has had, isn't it?

So I guess my question is....is his problem with speed edge rushers likely chronic or is it more likely a weakness which can be greatly diminished through hard work and development.

I think it's certainly something that can be worked on. Obviously very early into his career and I thought he was pretty raw coming out of OSU. I don't think he'll ever be Joe Thomas but I don't think he'll level out at a Max Starks level....which like you said, is where he's at now.

Craic
11-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Told you Preach, if I had graded Max any higher Chidi's keyboard would have asploded! :heh:

:lol:

Actually, the two sacks that tuck had was a result of one inside move, and one bull rush.

Chidi29
11-10-2012, 08:04 PM

It's still recovering from what you said about Doug Legursky. :chuckle:

- - - Updated - - -

:lol:

Actually, the two sacks that tuck had was a result of one inside move, and one bull rush.

The other one I was thinking of coming in a previous week. Cincy maybe? I'll double check.

HollywoodSteel
11-10-2012, 08:55 PM
I think it's certainly something that can be worked on. Obviously very early into his career and I thought he was pretty raw coming out of OSU. I don't think he'll ever be Joe Thomas but I don't think he'll level out at a Max Starks level....which like you said, is where he's at now.

I don't think you are being fair to big Max. Rather than level out I believe that last couple of years have been his best. I watched him handle Suggs last year better than any other LT the DPOY faced. Don't tell me Suggs can't beat you with speed.

I'm not saying he's Joe Thomas either. But one could argue that he is having a pro bowl level year, given who he is protecting. I'll certainly acknowledge that play calling and Ben's decisiveness have helped. But Ben still at times holds onto the ball for a very long time. There have been countless plays where I'm screaming at the TV "that's long enough, Ben, get rid of it!" But I'll be damned if he hasn't stayed clean anyway.

Chidi29
11-10-2012, 10:01 PM
You watch the Suggs game but at the same time, watch the 49ers game when he was abused by Aldon Smith all game long.

HollywoodSteel
11-11-2012, 01:03 AM
You watch the Suggs game but at the same time, watch the 49ers game when he was abused by Aldon Smith all game long.

Nothing about that game was right. They did something to the lights that messed with our players' heads. :chuckle:

Seven
11-11-2012, 06:44 AM
It's still recovering from what you said about Doug Legursky. :chuckle:

- - - Updated - - -

The other one I was thinking of coming in a previous week. Cincy maybe? I'll double check.

There is one glaring example that you're thinking of, I remember it too.

But just because he's overcompensated on a couple of plays, that doesn't necessarily spell out that he has problems with the speed rushers, he just played it wrong. I actually think he's better in space than he is holding up to the bullrush, from what I've seen. He gives up on his blocks too early.

- - - Updated - - -

http://s14.postimage.org/3k5yy5ihr/asdasdasd.png

That the instance you're thinking of? I don't think Tuck even made contact with Adams' body on that snap.

Seven
11-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Nevermind, you already cited that example. But regardless, this is the only instance I remember of Adams getting destroyed by speed. I don't think he holds up as well as you guys are giving him credit for. But he has surprised me in the run blocking game.

zulater
11-11-2012, 06:47 AM

A lot of Steelers stunk that night, starting with Ben. That was before we had an OC who knew how to game plan specific to opponent. :lol:

Chidi29
11-11-2012, 01:58 PM
There is one glaring example that you're thinking of, I remember it too.

But just because he's overcompensated on a couple of plays, that doesn't necessarily spell out that he has problems with the speed rushers, he just played it wrong. I actually think he's better in space than he is holding up to the bullrush, from what I've seen. He gives up on his blocks too early.

- - - Updated - - -

http://s14.postimage.org/3k5yy5ihr/asdasdasd.png

That the instance you're thinking of? I don't think Tuck even made contact with Adams' body on that snap.

I want to be clear that I'm not trying to be overly critical of Adams. He's done a nice job so far so major props there. And it's understandable that a rookie tackle doesn't want to get beat aruond the edge going against some of the best pass rushers in the league. So that overcompensation is natural and probably not too uncommon. Plus, you see a lot less counters in college. See a lot more guys that are one trick speed rush ends. So this is a new element Adams is facing. Not saying that it can't or won't be changed over time.