PDA

View Full Version : Running Backs..... Who to Start Now ??

katmandu
11-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Redman knocked it out of the park today! Dwyer is the real deal as well. Mendy better be scared and work has azz off now!

What a crew of RBs we got now!

All 3 are worthy starters!

Nice problem to have!

Count Steeler
11-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Easy decision. Whoever is not injured. :chuckle:

stillers4me

Post of the year!!

salamander

This... lol

steeldawg
11-04-2012, 06:44 PM

Lol

Seven
11-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Honestly, the way the line is playing right now I don't even care. I think Dwyer is the best of the bunch but hell the way this is going we are going to need all three anyway play whoever is the healthiest.

SteelerFanInStl
11-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Mendy will start if he's healthy. No reason to rush him back though with the play of Redman and Dwyer.

Let's make sure that we don't overlook the job that the OL has done.

tube517
11-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Start Franco.

Merchant
11-04-2012, 06:59 PM
The question that's on everyone's minds right now.

I don't have the answer.

But it's a nice question to have

steelpride12
11-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Who ever is the most healthy! If Dywer is anything less than 100% he needs to rest! Redman has already proved himself worthy to start and Mendy needs to keep getting healthier!

Hindes204
11-04-2012, 07:03 PM
I think it all comes down to how well the Oline is playing, they are opening holes I could run through. I still say Mendy has the most talent and should get the start when healthy. I would love to see what Mendy can do with how the line is playing these days

steeldevil
11-04-2012, 07:09 PM
I know its crazy to say, but it doesnt matter with the way the OL is run blocking right now!

Crazy!

Craic
11-04-2012, 09:04 PM

Repped for this . . . but forgot to add the :chuckle: to make sure you knew how to take the statement I made. :wink02:

Count Steeler
11-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Repped for this . . . but forgot to add the :chuckle: to make sure you knew how to take the statement I made. :wink02:

Got ya. Thanks.

steelerdude15
11-04-2012, 09:11 PM
I'd say Redman for now. Such a hard decision until Mendy comes back.

Psycho Ward 86
11-04-2012, 09:35 PM
but i thought "a healthy Redman is garbage" and people would be "surprised if Rainey isnt getting the majority of the snaps", and he "isnt a starter"...lol :rolleyes:

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/15286-Steelers-won-t-have-RBs-Mendenhall-amp-Dwyer-Sunday-vs-NY-Woodley-likely-to-play/page2?highlight=option

Redman's still been playing on ankle sprains/recovering high ankle sprains all season long. Kid's grit isnt impressive or anything. 2nd RB job is going to get interesting now that both Redman and Dwyer are playing hurt.

Moose
11-04-2012, 09:59 PM

LOL...excellent !! Can't add anything to this Count !

steelreserve
11-04-2012, 10:30 PM
When all three backs are ripping off 100-yard games, and the first two of them sucked at the beginning of the year, it means the line's doing something right. So it barely matters who we start at RB as long as they keep that up.

I really don't know what the explanation for the change with the line is, by the way. The only thing different from the start of the year is that Adams came in for Gilbert. Maybe Adams is just great onthe run and nobody noticed because he was struggling in pass protection.

oneforthetoe
11-05-2012, 12:18 AM
When all three backs are ripping off 100-yard games, and the first two of them sucked at the beginning of the year, it means the line's doing something right. So it barely matters who we start at RB as long as they keep that up.

I really don't know what the explanation for the change with the line is, by the way. The only thing different from the start of the year is that Adams came in for Gilbert. Maybe Adams is just great onthe run and nobody noticed because he was struggling in pass protection.

Adams has played better than I thought, but I don't think that is the change. We are opening holes right up the gut. Foster is steady, save for getting crunched on one of Ben's sacks today. Pouncy being healthy is big. And Willie may be a dunder head at times, but he has been mauling people.

Steeldude
11-05-2012, 01:39 AM
If all 3 are healthy I would give it to Dwyer. There is just something about the way he ran in those two games that gives him the nod over the other two.

I have never been sold on Mendenhall. They could run the wheels off Mendenhall and then send him packing. There is no reason to re-sign him next season. The cap is going to be tight.

Dwyer and Redman look good for 2013. The Steelers can then add a Pegram-type RB for a change of pace.

GodfatherofSoul
11-05-2012, 02:00 AM
Mendy was looking really good before he got hurt. We'll see where he's really at when he gets back.

Count Steeler
11-05-2012, 04:41 AM

Continuity, cohesion and consistency. An O Line needs to play together so they can work together. When we had the revolving door with injuries, there was no consistency and continuity. Now these guys are learning how to play as 1.

ALLD
11-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Redman deserves a follow-up to this performance, no doubt at all. He is hot and the healthiest, just ride it.

steelpride12
11-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Mendenhall is our number 1 back regardless of what Dywer and Redman do. He is getting paid #1 back money and he will remain that position for the Steelers. There is nothing wrong with having two other worthy backs who can produce the way they have the past 3 games. It makes the offense more diverse, gives them more playbook room, and keeps the defenses on their toes regardless of who is out there.

Count Steeler
11-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Got a feeling Mendy puts up a deuce when he returns.

zulater
11-07-2012, 08:00 PM
http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/96ac64a2-83db-47cd-a510-90f7e92ba17a/?source=twitter

Looks like Mendy.

Count Steeler
11-07-2012, 08:14 PM
http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/96ac64a2-83db-47cd-a510-90f7e92ba17a/?source=twitter

Looks like Mendy.

If he does, I say he gets close to 200, if not more. I look for a monster game from him.

GoSlash27
11-07-2012, 08:18 PM
All of the above?
I really like Redman and Dwyer, but I bet with our O line even Mendy could make consistent positive yards.

SteelGhost
11-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Nice problem to have, LOL.

GBMelBlount
11-07-2012, 09:15 PM
We are blessed to have a good line and 3 solid backs.

However, Dwyer has been my favorite.

Seven
11-07-2012, 11:22 PM
I think right now you have to go Dwyer > Mendenhall > Redman if they are all healthy. That's my view anyway, but I bet the team would start Mendenhall if all three were ready to go.

Dwyer has shown the most this season but Mendenhall is still probably more talented. Redman had a great game last week but he's done that before only to drop off the cliff the following week, so the team isn't going to make the same mistake of trusting him as the sole starter again if they can help it.

Against the awful defensive line of the Chiefs though it really shouldn't matter this week. Rainey or Batch would probably be just fine if it came down to it.

Psycho Ward 86
11-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Redman had a great game last week but he's done that before only to drop off the cliff the following week, so the team isn't going to make the same mistake of trusting him as the sole starter again if they can help it.

Like when? dont throw around assumptions because you think people will believe them. Give 1 example of Redman having one great game and then a bad one the next week. It's never happened, because he's never had the opportunity while healthy. Redman has had 3 standout games in his career (the Browns last year for 90+ yards in 3 quarters, 110+ against the broncos in the playoffs, 140+ against the giants last week) and he was healthy or at least mostly healthy for all of them. No one seemed to acknowledge he has had lingering high ankle sprains all season and just got healthy enough to play for the giants. all 3 of these boys can tote the ball.

Seven
11-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Like when? dont throw around assumptions because you think people will believe them. Give 1 example of Redman having one great game and then a bad one the next week. It's never happened, because he's never had the opportunity while healthy. Redman has had 3 standout games in his career (the Browns last year for 90+ yards in 3 quarters, 110+ against the broncos in the playoffs, 140+ against the giants last week) and he was healthy or at least mostly healthy for all of them. No one seemed to acknowledge he has had lingering high ankle sprains all season and just got healthy enough to play for the giants. all 3 of these boys can tote the ball.

Get over the injury. No one cares. If he's healthy enough to play I'm going to assume they think he's healthy enough to be productive so stop whining about the ankles because there are dozens of backs in this league who produce injured. I understand it hinders him, but enough with the excuse making.

I'm not the one who throws things out there hoping they will stick. If you call 92 yards on 20 carries @Cleveland a "standout" game, so be it. That's a fine start but let's not pretend he has put two games like that together back to back more than once.

Now this week it looks like he will have a chance to do so. We'll see what happens. Against this Chiefs' defensive line he should be able to go off again. Hopefully he does.

Craic
11-08-2012, 12:33 AM
If he does, I say he gets close to 200, if not more. I look for a monster game from him.

Here's something to keep in mind, the NY Giants and the KC Chiefs defenses are tied with 4.6 yards allowed per rush, that's in 26th place of 32 teams. Rush per game, the Giants are a little better than the Chiefs. Now, if their offense is as bad as it seems, how much time will our offense have on the field - and thus, how many yards will Mendy be able to rack up?

200? 300? (I know, I'm getting carried away).

I would NOT be surprised however, if the team rush average was closer to three hundred than two hundred for the game. It's possible that we go up by three scores early, and then put the game away by running the ball starting about the middle of the second quarter.

Something else to keep in mind; Baltimore is 28th in yards per game allowed, though their tied with us in yards per rush.

Psycho Ward 86
11-08-2012, 12:44 AM
Get over the injury. No one cares. If he's healthy enough to play I'm going to assume they think he's healthy enough to be productive so stop whining about the ankles because there are dozens of backs in this league who produce injured. I understand it hinders him, but enough with the excuse making.

I'm not the one who throws things out there hoping they will stick. If you call 92 yards on 20 carries @Cleveland a "standout" game, so be it. That's a fine start but let's not pretend he has put two games like that together back to back more than once.

lol, well you can go ahead and call bad performances by players inexcusable because theyre injured but i think the realists on this board are going to understand it hinders you. especially when youre O-line isnt playing optimally and constantly changing at the beginning of the year. Ray lewis is out for the season, but vows he's coming back. If he manages to come back and has a drop off in production, is it really inexcusable? Troy has a history of rushing back from injuries and having an immense drop off in production. The entire 2007 season and 2010 postseason run exemplifies better than any other point(s) in his career. in '07 troy was simply mediocre in whatever games he played. Troy was simply a liability in large portions of the postseason, especially the superbowl. these are just guys trying to push through pain to help their teams that need them.

Uh, and no one here pretended redman had 2 great back to back games. i just told you he never did. i believe your exact words were "Redman had a great game last week but he's done that before only to drop off the cliff the following week" which i refuted.

Seven
11-08-2012, 12:48 AM
I would NOT be surprised however, if the team rush average was closer to three hundred than two hundred for the game. It's possible that we go up by three scores early, and then put the game away by running the ball starting about the middle of the second quarter.

That's how I have been envisioning this one going, too. Great post.

31 - 3, Steelers

Seven
11-08-2012, 01:06 AM
lol, well you can go ahead and call bad performances by players inexcusable because theyre injured but i think the realists on this board are going to understand it hinders you. especially when youre O-line isnt playing optimally and constantly changing at the beginning of the year. Ray lewis is out for the season, but vows he's coming back. If he manages to come back and has a drop off in production, is it really inexcusable? Troy has a history of rushing back from injuries and having an immense drop off in production. The entire 2007 season and 2010 postseason run exemplifies better than any other point(s) in his career. in '07 troy was simply mediocre in whatever games he played. Troy was simply a liability in large portions of the postseason, especially the superbowl. these are just guys trying to push through pain to help their teams that need them.

Uh, and no one here pretended redman had 2 great back to back games. i just told you he never did. i believe your exact words were "Redman had a great game last week but he's done that before only to drop off the cliff the following week" which i refuted.

It's understandable to see a production drop off from injured players, but that's assuming they have had production in the past to see a drop off from. Redman didn't deserve to see the field in his first three starts of the season yet they kept trotting him out there over Dwyer, Rainey and Batch. Therefore, he must have been healthy enough that they thought he could produce somewhat, right? Even taking the injury into consideration the first half of his season was worse than poor, it was awful. Even a "realist", whatever the hell that overused term is supposed to mean, should be able to admit that.

I probably overstated it when I referred to "great" games he has had in the past that he didn't follow up on. But what I meant was great from the standpoint of what sample size we have from him, which you, fairly, point out isn't large.

Last week he ran with vision that I've never seen from him before. That's fantastic and I hope it continues, but I don't understand where saying he is the third option in the offense behind Dwyer and Mendenhall deserves criticism. Even Kirby Wilson sees it that way.

"Rashard is the complete package." "We think Jonathan has things that he is great at. Isaac has some things that he is great at." "Rashard has proved that he can do it over the long haul."

I would think that a player who is billed by his adoring fans to be "just a shade under Michael Bush" would receive a little more praise from his position coach than simply being an afterthought to Rashard and Dwyer, especially after he just rushed for 147 yards?