PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clark Must Change!

Animal Mother
11-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Ryan! Dude! Stop trying to hit defenseless receivers with your shoulder pad when they aren't looking! I don't care what the rules say, all I know is that when you hit a guy like that and he stays down you get a flag. Every time. Stop doing it. It doesn't matter how low you hit them or that you aren't leading with your head. You hit the guy, he fakes like he is hurt = flag.

Here's a solution, play the run. If you see a pass, play the ball or tackle the receiver after he catches it and swat at the ball. The shoulder pad hit is not working.

zulater
11-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Was a bullshit call. Ryan did nothing wrong on that play and the coaches wont ask him to change a thing.

Players get fined for screwups, well so should refs. This entire crew should be suspended following this game.

ALLD
11-04-2012, 04:40 PM
The entire crew should be suspended at halftime.

- - - Updated - - -

Just like the NFL kept the Patriots alive during 9/11. Same crap is going on in front of your eyes.

43Hitman
11-04-2012, 04:40 PM
GTFO! Was a clean hit and bullshit call..

stillers4me
11-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Victor Cruz...the first man on earth with ribs in his head.

SCSTILLER
11-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Absolute Bullshit call, but with Clarks past the refs are looking for it and already have their hands on their flags when he is getting ready to hit someone. Still a BS call and never should have been flagged, but I am sure that Goodell will find a way to fine him.

stillers4me
11-04-2012, 05:06 PM
We were wrong. Cruz did get hit in the head. When will Ryan ever learn...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A65COMbCQAEl_EU.jpg

steeldevil
11-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Clark did NOTHING wrong.

Period.

Craic
11-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Clark needs to keep hitting EXACTLY like that. One or two more hits like that where he gets flagged, and then the next day they find out that it was a completely clean hit, and those flags will stay in their pockets.

stillers4me
11-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Clark did NOTHING wrong.

Period.that's the point

Texasteel
11-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Clark hit the guy just the way the league claims they want him to. Result,,,,, a flag. Now lets see if he get fined.

Count Steeler
11-04-2012, 06:38 PM
There is no way the league SHOULD fine Clark. What they actually do, well, we'll just have to wait and see.

Seven
11-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Ryan Clark has kept this defense together.

SteelerFanInStl
11-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Clark should be getting a $50k check from the league office for that call. Telling him to change his game is just ridiculous. I love the way Ryan plays.

steel striker
11-04-2012, 08:06 PM
NFL office should send the steelers I'm sorry letter for all of the bogus calls.

steelerdude15
11-04-2012, 08:14 PM
I have no problem with how Ryan plays. Even though at times it may scare me because he has hurt himself the way he plays, I still don't want it to change. On that note, it was a clean and legal hit. Ryan didn't go too high or too low, hit Cruz right in the shoulder while leading with his shoulder. Of course, this is the proper tackling technique.

The thing that bothers me the most on this play is actually Cruz. He fell and laid on the ground as if he was knocked unconscious. Ryan didn't hit Cruz in the head, Cruz's head did not hit the ground, nor did it seem that Cruz suffered any form of whiplash from the hit. He was helped off the field to later come back in the game. A flag was drawn for a hit that never happened and it seemed that he faked being hurt (I have nothing against Cruz). That is what I have a problem with.

Craic
11-04-2012, 08:17 PM
I have no problem with how Ryan plays. Even though at times it may scare me because he has hurt himself the way he plays, I still don't want it to change. On that note, it was a clean and legal hit. Ryan didn't go too high or too low, hit Cruz right in the shoulder while leading with his shoulder. Of course, this is the proper tackling technique.

The thing that bothers me the most on this play is actually Cruz. He fell and laid on the ground as if he was knocked unconscious. Ryan didn't hit Cruz in the head, Cruz's head did not hit the ground, nor did it seem that Cruz suffered any form of whiplash from the hit. He was helped off the field to later come back in the game. That is what I have a problem with.

I have no problem with the league enforcing rules to protect people from being hit in the head. But when players start taking dives, they oughta be fined as well. I have no problem believing that he got popped, and needed a few extra seconds to get his head on straight, I do have a problem with them doing it to draw penalties.

steelerdude15
11-04-2012, 08:21 PM
I have no problem with the league enforcing rules to protect people from being hit in the head. But when players start taking dives, they oughta be fined as well. I have no problem believing that he got popped, and needed a few extra seconds to get his head on straight, I do have a problem with them doing it to draw penalties.

I agree with everything you said. We have to protect the player's heads, but players who fake injuries should be penalized.

vader29
11-04-2012, 08:26 PM
We were wrong. Cruz did get hit in the head. When will Ryan ever learn...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A65COMbCQAEl_EU.jpg

Actually after a closer review, Clark actually hit Goodell in the head after Roger decided to take a breather and come up for air from inside Cruz's ass. :heh:

http://i49.tinypic.com/vevibp.jpg

BigNastyDefense
11-04-2012, 08:57 PM
This entire officiating crew sucked total fucking ass. That was a bullshit call on Clark with the hit in the endzone on Cruz. It was a legal hit. How the fuck do you call an illegal hit to the head when he got hit nowhere near his head! And then later in the game Wallace takes a helmet to the head on a catch and they don't call it?

Honestly, I think this game was fucking fixed. Goodell and the NFL wanted the Giants to win the game for the feel good of NY/NJ. Fuck that shit. The Steelers beat the Giants and the refs today. Goodell can suck my dick.

Count Steeler
11-04-2012, 09:00 PM
This entire officiating crew sucked total fucking ass. That was a bullshit call on Clark with the hit in the endzone on Cruz. It was a legal hit. How the fuck do you call an illegal hit to the head when he got hit nowhere near his head! And then later in the game Wallace takes a helmet to the head on a catch and they don't call it?

Honestly, I think this game was fucking fixed. Goodell and the NFL wanted the Giants to win the game for the feel good of NY/NJ. Fuck that shit. The Steelers beat the Giants and the refs today. Goodell can suck my dick.

Don't say it too loud, he will hunt you down.

GBMelBlount
11-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Clark needs to keep hitting EXACTLY like that. One or two more hits like that where he gets flagged, and then the next day they find out that it was a completely clean hit, and those flags will stay in their pockets.

Agreed. Hard, clean hits like that are what Steeler's Football is all about.

Dino 6 Rings
11-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Tipped pass by Taylor, clean hit, flag should have been picked up.

BigNastyDefense
11-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Don't say it too loud, he will hunt you down.

Good, then I can stab him through his cold, black heart.

Count Steeler
11-04-2012, 09:05 PM
I hope he doesn't get fined. That is one they would have to appeal and get De Smith off his ass and do something.

Craic
11-04-2012, 09:13 PM
It wasn't a helmet to the head.

When I saw first saw it, I almost pulled a Bill Cowher with spit flying yelling for the call. Then when they picked up the flag, I was dumbfounded, so I went back and watched it a few times (really, I was also finding a reason to let my DVR record a bit more of the game, so I could skip all the stupid political ads). As I watched, it became clear that he didn't hit him helmet to helmet. It was actually the proper call.

It LOOKED horrible, but it was the right call. As for Clark, it was the wrong call. But as I keep saying, he's going to get flagged for those until he proves that he can hit cleanly. He's reaping what he's sown when it comes to bang-bang calls like that.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope he doesn't get fined. That is one they would have to appeal and get De Smith off his ass and do something.
As I've said before, I'd be surprised if it would be, since it WAS actually a very clean hit - even cleaner than last weeks hit on RGIII (and that was within every rule).

Animal Mother
11-05-2012, 05:43 AM
The hit was legal, I agree. This game has its rules enforced by referees who are in fact human beings. They will make mistakes and judgement calls. If there is any question that a defender hits a defenseless receiver and injures him, that flag is coming out. You guys and bitch and moan and whine all you want, that's the reality. Ryan needs to change his ways, adapt or die.

zulater
11-05-2012, 06:03 AM
The hit was legal, I agree. This game has its rules enforced by referees who are in fact human beings. They will make mistakes and judgement calls. If there is any question that a defender hits a defenseless receiver and injures him, that flag is coming out. You guys and bitch and moan and whine all you want, that's the reality. Ryan needs to change his ways, adapt or die.

Adapt and he will die, as he will no longer be an effective player. The coaching staff is fine with the way Clark plays. You could easily make the case that he's our MVP of defense this season. If he draws the occasional reputation foul so be it. Because he's making plays all over the field. And also for every reputation flag he might draw he incurs two opposition drops because the intimidation factor of them anticipating being lit up by Ryan.

steelpride12
11-05-2012, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't want Clark to change for anyone or any reason. The hit was 100% legal and I know 9/10 will agree after seeing the replay at least once. I don't care about the "reputation" he has and neither should he. He needs to continue to go out there, play hard nosed Steeler football, and hit like a train (legally)!

Devilsdancefloor
11-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Adapt and he will die, as he will no longer be an effective player. The coaching staff is fine with the way Clark plays. You could easily make the case that he's our MVP of defense this season. If he draws the occasional reputation foul so be it. Because he's making plays all over the field. And also for every reputation flag he might draw he incurs two opposition drops because the intimidation factor of them anticipating being lit up by Ryan.

QFT

HollywoodSteel
11-05-2012, 02:58 PM

No. The other option is to play great, solid football the way Clark has been playing all year, deal with the all the bullshit they throw at you, and win anyway. You know what you do when they suspend your QB for being charged with nothing and convicted of nothing? You go to the Super Bowl. You know what you do when the refs spot the other team 14 points with bad calls? You shut their asses down and take it out of the refs' hands.

Sometimes, after a game like that, I feel like Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting, and I think of Roger Goodell as my abusive stepfather. As unwise as it is, I choose the wrench. 'Cause fuck him, that's why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrajmbFShA8

Craic
11-05-2012, 03:08 PM

Nope.

The flag will not be coming out every time. There's too much media exposure for that to happen. What we saw last night was the first time, as I've said all morning and last night, it'll happen a couple more times. But when the uproar begins for legal hits being flagged, it'll stop, quickly. No, he needs to keep playing EXACTLY like he is, and let the flags fall where they may. In truth, I'm impressed that he's actually learned how to hit legally of late. Good for him - now if the bonehead had just learned that a year or two ago.

Animal Mother
11-06-2012, 07:17 AM
Nope.

The flag will not be coming out every time. There's too much media exposure for that to happen. What we saw last night was the first time, as I've said all morning and last night, it'll happen a couple more times. But when the uproar begins for legal hits being flagged, it'll stop, quickly. No, he needs to keep playing EXACTLY like he is, and let the flags fall where they may. In truth, I'm impressed that he's actually learned how to hit legally of late. Good for him - now if the bonehead had just learned that a year or two ago.

Disagree. The media exposure the last 2 years has been heavily skewed in favor of player safety. There will never be backlash regarding a flag on a player hitting a defenseless player no matter how legal the hit may look if that player is subsequently injured or looks injured. I hate that receivers without integrity now have an additional tool to get refs to throw a flag, but player safety is paramount. The referees I'm sure have been coached to throw a flag when in doubt. Remember the Wallace play a couple plays later? Ref threw the flag because it looked like an illegal hit. They got together and discussed that Wallace was a runner and had already made the move to get up and the hit was legal, flag was picked up. But the point is, the flag flew because there was doubt.

I also believe that the NFL and referees will not change this behavior, they are in the midst of a culture change to a safer game. These brutal hits by safeties will become a thing of the past. Ryan Clark needs to wake up and realize this before a "legal" hit costs us a game.

zulater
11-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Disagree. The media exposure the last 2 years has been heavily skewed in favor of player safety. There will never be backlash regarding a flag on a player hitting a defenseless player no matter how legal the hit may look if that player is subsequently injured or looks injured. I hate that receivers without integrity now have an additional tool to get refs to throw a flag, but player safety is paramount. The referees I'm sure have been coached to throw a flag when in doubt. Remember the Wallace play a couple plays later? Ref threw the flag because it looked like an illegal hit. They got together and discussed that Wallace was a runner and had already made the move to get up and the hit was legal, flag was picked up. But the point is, the flag flew because there was doubt.

I also believe that the NFL and referees will not change this behavior, they are in the midst of a culture change to a safer game. These brutal hits by safeties will become a thing of the past. Ryan Clark needs to wake up and realize this before a "legal" hit costs us a game.

You need to wake up and realize that you're on your own little island here. Not one person agrees with you. That should tell you something.

HollywoodSteel
11-06-2012, 09:48 AM
What Ryan Clark and the other Steelers safties realize is that the form tackling that everyone talks about is the dumbest thing you can possibly do in the end zone. You have to go for a hit that dislodges the ball. If that means taking the chance of penalty, so be it. It's better than giving up a TD. In this particular instance, Ike had already broken up the pass but Clark was moving too quickly to realize that.

HollywoodSteel
11-06-2012, 10:46 AM
You need to wake up and realize that you're on your own little island here. Not one person agrees with you. That should tell you something.

Zu, I'm in total agreement with you on this topic but I think you're being a bit unfair to Animal Mother. His position is kind of reasonable. I find it far more reasonable than what I'm hearing from those who cheer this hit, yet if fate would have had it that Ike's contact with Cruz changed his position ever so slightly to bring his head a little lower and farther back at the last second resulting in a helmet to helmet knockout blow from Clark, those same people would be, ever so reasonably, explaining to all of us how Clark needs to change his game and how he deserves the fine that's coming. Yet Clark, from an objective point of view, would have done the exact same thing in that scenario as what really happened. At least Animal Mother is saying that yes, circumstances ended up... well, not fine this time. He still got the freaking flag even with fortune smiling upon him that Cruz's body position didn't change at the last second. And I'm also being told that even though this was an objectively bad call, it's okay because Clark deserved it. Apparently there's some magic number of bad calls that Clark deserves before he is entitled to have the refs make the correct call. Also, Zu, keep in mind that under fire, Animal Mother is one of the finest human beings in the world.

And, Preacher, I apologize for the "some people" thing when I'm obviously paraphrasing your position. I didn't mean it as a dig on you, I was only trying to convey that I understand Animal Mother's frustration with what can seem like a no win situation if Clark keeps doing what he's doing. As always, I welcome the debate and would love for you to tell me where I'm going wrong. :)

zulater
11-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Zu, I'm in total agreement with you on this topic but I think you're being a bit unfair to Animal Mother. His position is kind of reasonable. I find it far more reasonable than what I'm hearing from those who cheer this hit, yet if fate would have had it that Ike's contact with Cruz changed his position ever so slightly to bring his head a little lower and farther back at the last second resulting in a helmet to helmet knockout blow from Clark, those same people would be, ever so reasonably, explaining to all of us how Clark needs to change his game and how he deserves the fine that's coming. Yet Clark, from an objective point of view, would have done the exact same thing in that scenario as what really happened. At least Animal Mother is saying that yes, circumstances ended up... well, not fine this time. He still got the freaking flag even with fortune smiling upon him that Cruz's body position didn't change at the last second. And I'm also being told that even though this was an objectively bad call, it's okay because Clark deserved it. Apparently there's some magic number of bad calls that Clark deserves before he is entitled to have the refs make the correct call. Also, Zu, keep in mind that under fire, Animal Mother is one of the finest human beings in the world.

And, Preacher, I apologize for the "some people" thing when I'm obviously paraphrasing your position. I didn't mean it as a dig on you, I was only trying to convey that I understand Animal Mother's frustration with what can seem like a no win situation if Clark keeps doing what he's doing. As always, I welcome the debate and would love for you to tell me where I'm going wrong. :)

Sorry, wasn't meant to be a personal attack any more than Animal's Mother's advise to Ryan Clark to "wake up" was.

Craic
11-06-2012, 11:06 AM

You disagreed with me. So of course you are.

:wink02:

Seriously, I'm not saying that it's "Okay." I am saying however, that the reality of the situation is that he's reaping what he's sown, but that it WILL correct itself after a couple more bad calls, because the media loves making mountains out of molehills.

Animal Mother
11-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Sorry, wasn't meant to be a personal attack any more than Animal's Mother's advise to Ryan Clark to "wake up" was.

Which was also written under the duress of the game, just like someone else's thread about a game possibly being fixed... Ha! No offense taken though.

And I have resisted the urge to tell anyone that they can talk the talk but can they walk the walk.

fansince'76
11-06-2012, 12:41 PM
And I have resisted the urge to tell anyone that they can talk the talk but can they walk the walk.

You're a real comedian...

:chuckle: