PDA

View Full Version : Update on DeCastro

stillers4me
11-04-2012, 08:15 AM
If the perfect scenario would’ve played out, Steelers rookie first-round pick David DeCastro would’ve been eligible to be added to the 53-man roster Friday and play against the N.Y. Giants Sunday.

The perfect scenario didn’t happen, and actually, don’t expect to see DeCastro on the football field any time soon.
DeCastro reportedly suffered a torn medial collateral ligament, a dislocated kneecap and damage to his patellar tendon when his right leg buckled underneath him during the second series of the second preseason game against Buffalo.

DeCastro had surgery Aug. 29 and placed on injured reserve with the designation to return nine days later. Under the guidelines of the new injured reserve rule, DeCastro was eligible to start practicing with the team two weeks ago.

The Steelers were optimistic that DeCastro could return this year in August. That optimism has tempered........

Read more @ http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/11/02/update-on-decastro/

zulater
11-04-2012, 08:26 AM
They would have been better off putting DeCastro on regular IR. It would have been nice to use that designation they wasted on him on Troy.

Count Steeler
11-04-2012, 08:28 AM
They were way too optimistic to think the kid could recover that quickly. Sounds like the knee was pretty banged up. However, the Steelers know what they are doing.

zulater
11-04-2012, 08:33 AM
They were way too optimistic to think the kid could recover that quickly. Sounds like the knee was pretty banged up. However, the Steelers know what they are doing.

It's tough to take a Mulligan on your first round pick for a year, especially with your 3rd round pick possibly having a career ending injury at around the same time. In the moment they made a futile attempt to salvage this year's draft.

Steeldude
11-04-2012, 11:29 PM
They would have been better off putting DeCastro on regular IR. It would have been nice to use that designation they wasted on him on Troy.

Exactly. They should have known even he could make it back he wouldn't be in any kind of playing shape. According to one article, DeCastro's problem starting out was the strength of the game. A rookie with a repaired knee isn't going to do much, IMO.

zulater
11-05-2012, 05:34 AM
Exactly. They should have known even he could make it back he wouldn't be in any kind of playing shape. According to one article, DeCastro's problem starting out was the strength of the game. A rookie with a repaired knee isn't going to do much, IMO.

Even if he comes back strong there's no way, short of injury, that they take Ramon Foster out of the starting lineup this year. And I'd even venture to say that it's far from a given that he'll take his spot in the lineup next season. Foster is playing as well as any Steelers right guard in over a decade.

I think DeCastro is a promising player, but going into last years draft I had hoped the Steelers were going to draft a safety with their first round pick. .

Austin87
11-05-2012, 07:00 AM
I think DeCastro is a promising player, but going into last years draft I had hoped the Steelers were going to draft a safety with their first round pick. .

DeCastro was the best guard in the draft by a long shot. This pick will pay off in a couple of seasons. I like that the Steelers tend to draft the BPA, that is probably why they haven't drafted a bust in the last 10 or so seasons.

86WARD
11-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Back practicing today and not a moment too soon...

Dwinsgames
11-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Back practicing today and not a moment too soon...

hopefully the Steelers don't spoil the broth by messing with its current ingredience

Dwinsgames
11-21-2012, 11:19 AM
The Steelers have 21 days from now to determine if DeCastro will be activated or placed on injured reserve under this new designation

Craic
11-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Even if he comes back strong there's no way, short of injury, that they take Ramon Foster out of the starting lineup this year. And I'd even venture to say that it's far from a given that he'll take his spot in the lineup next season. Foster is playing as well as any Steelers right guard in over a decade.

I agree he's not going to be in the starting line up this year. But as for next year, I think there's little chance that Foster stays as the starter.

Dwinsgames
11-21-2012, 11:44 AM
I agree he's not going to be in the starting line up this year. But as for next year, I think there's little chance that Foster stays as the starter.

for Foster to not stay as the Starter DeCastro has a ton of work ahead of him in my opinion , Foster has played at a VERY high level thus far this season and what little we seen from DeCostro in the early part of the preseason gave me no indication he could play nearly as well ..

Granted DeCastro was dominate at the collegiate level but his game showed glaring weaknesses at the NFL level predominately in the strength department ( we seen that movie before with Kraig Urbik whom we also felt we stole ) now do not get me wrong I have not written off DeCastro but I will not just grant him the starting job because Guard is not a weak link of this starting group and he will have to earn the job and that is going to take a mountain of work from where I sit based on the play of Foster to this point ....

I might go as far as to say Foster might be the most improved Steeler over the last year , the difference in the 2011 version and the 2012 version is awe inspiring ... that being said ...Get to work Mr DeCastro you have your work cut out for you .....

competition is a good thing !!!

tube517
11-21-2012, 01:03 PM
What is Foster's contract status?

Craic
11-21-2012, 02:28 PM
for Foster to not stay as the Starter DeCastro has a ton of work ahead of him in my opinion , Foster has played at a VERY high level thus far this season and what little we seen from DeCostro in the early part of the preseason gave me no indication he could play nearly as well ..

Granted DeCastro was dominate at the collegiate level but his game showed glaring weaknesses at the NFL level predominately in the strength department ( we seen that movie before with Kraig Urbik whom we also felt we stole ) now do not get me wrong I have not written off DeCastro but I will not just grant him the starting job because Guard is not a weak link of this starting group and he will have to earn the job and that is going to take a mountain of work from where I sit based on the play of Foster to this point ....

I might go as far as to say Foster might be the most improved Steeler over the last year , the difference in the 2011 version and the 2012 version is awe inspiring ... that being said ...Get to work Mr DeCastro you have your work cut out for you .....

competition is a good thing !!!

No, his problem wasn't in the strength department. You're thinking of the reports about him having problems with the "Physical" part of the game. That wasn't strength, however, that was technique at the NFL level. Sean Kugler actually said that he was behind because he still had to learn the offense. His biggest weakness, according to Kugler, was speed of the game and adjustment to the movement. "It catches any rookie off guard. It's a process for any rookie. It was for the last two guys that played young, Markus and Maurkice."

Then he was asked about the physical strength. The answer was, "David is a physical player and again, its not just about brute strength or anything. It's technique and leverage and those types things. He's been caught in different positions where he's been beat and you know it's our job to explain it to him how to defeat that. And he works at it and I think David's the type of guy that if he makes a mistake, he's not going to make it twice."

Kugler was also asked about reports that DeCastro wasn't impressive in camp up. His answer was, "You know he hasn't played in one game yet. He's gotten better each day. The thing with him and Mike, they both missed OTA's so they were playing catch up as far as learning the system. He's gotten better these last four or five days. He's improved dramatically everyday. So I've been pleased with both those young guys." http://www.1059thex.com/player/?station=WXDX-FM&program_name=podcast&program_id=interviews.xml&mid=22331477

He was thus named to the first string, and after the first game, he garnered quite a bit of praise.

So no, his problem wasn't strength by any means. It was just being a rookie. Furthermore, he had actually beat out Foster in camp, which means at that point in time, he was better than Foster. I imagine next year, that position won't be assigned to anyone. They'll let Foster and DeCastro battle for it. My guess is that DeCastro will win it. That's not to say Foster isn't playing well, he's playing really well. But I think Foster is at the top limit of his abilities, and DeCastro was at the bottom limit of his abilities in camp, and still beat Foster out.

zulater
11-22-2012, 05:59 AM
So no, his problem wasn't strength by any means. It was just being a rookie. Furthermore, he had actually beat out Foster in camp, which means at that point in time, he was better than Foster. I imagine next year, that position won't be assigned to anyone. They'll let Foster and DeCastro battle for it. My guess is that DeCastro will win it. That's not to say Foster isn't playing well, he's playing really well. But I think Foster is at the top limit of his abilities, and DeCastro was at the bottom limit of his abilities in camp, and still beat Foster out.

Maybe he did, or maybe they just gave the nod to DeCastro because it was close and if close you give it to the guy with the higher ceiling.

GBMelBlount
11-22-2012, 07:09 AM
DeCastro was the best college guard in the country last year.

However some college players take a few years to transition to the pros regardless.

Knowing how smart and hard working DeCastro is I have little doubt he will be a top shelf offensive guard in the NFL if he stays healthy.

The primary question is if it will happen right away or take a few years imo.

86WARD
11-22-2012, 07:17 AM
Regardless of whether they stay with Foster or go with DeCastro ... It's quality depth the Steelers now have on the OLine. Something they have lacked for years.

Dwinsgames
11-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Regardless of whether they stay with Foster or go with DeCastro ... It's quality depth the Steelers now have on the OLine. Something they have lacked for years.

and in the end that is all we can ask for , I have no doubt DeCasto will be the starter at some point he is just to good of a football player not to be , but WHEN has become the question and that is not a knock on DeCasto but props to Foster

Craic
11-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Maybe he did, or maybe they just gave the nod to DeCastro because it was close and if close you give it to the guy with the higher ceiling.
According to Kugler, he actually won the job.

zulater
11-22-2012, 10:28 AM
According to Kugler, he actually won the job.

Isn't that the same guy who decided that Jonathan Scott was a better left tackle than Max Starks?

GBMelBlount
11-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Kugler may have realized his mistake in choosing mediocre vets over projects with potential after seeing what happened with Urbik.

Plus, with DeCastro as the number one guard coming out of the draft he may feel that he will develop his nfl legs more quickly than perhaps an Urbik.