PDA

View Full Version : Nicks, Cruz think the Steelers defensive backs get away with holding

polamalubeast
11-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Wide receivers Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks got the memo about using the media as a venue to plead for holding calls in advance of games, but someone with the Giants needs to work with them on their phrasing.

Unlike offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride and defensive end Justin Tuck, Nicks and Cruz forgot to accuse Steelers defensive backs of getting away with murder when they went public with their feelings that the Steelers hold opposing receivers without penalty from the officials. Nicks said cornerback Ike Taylor was the main culprit in a secondary that grabs “a lot” and Cruz said he expects to be held on every play.

“It’s pretty blatant how they do it,” Cruz said, via Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger. “Some of it’s not being called, and some of it is, so we just have to be prepared to fight through it no matter what happens. And no matter what the down and distance is, expect to be held, expect to be grabbed and just continue to fight.”

Tuck said earlier this week that the Steelers offensive line was getting away with murder by frequently holding defensive players. Gilbride elicited a rather dramatic reaction from 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh when he used the same phrase to call attention to the San Francisco defensive line a few weeks ago.

The Steelers are allowing the fewest passing yards per game of any team in the league thus far. They’ve also been penalized seven times per game, more than all but seven teams in the league, and they have been called for defensive holding nine times. That’s the most of any team in the league and the Giants would obviously like to see them add to their lead in that category this Sunday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/04/nicks-cruz-think-the-steelers-defensive-backs-get-away-with-holding/

Texasteel
11-04-2012, 07:53 AM
I haven't seen a WR yet that didn't that didn't claim they were being held. Even if they are all by themselves and just drop the ball.

zulater
11-04-2012, 07:58 AM
If they call it, call it equally on both teams. That's all I ask.

Texasteel
11-04-2012, 07:59 AM
If they call it, call it equally on both teams. That's all I ask.

Good luck with that one zu.

salamander
11-04-2012, 08:26 AM
I think we've seen plenty of holding and PI calls against our DBs so far this season...

tube517
11-04-2012, 09:00 AM
All teams hold at some point. All these head games before the game are comical

steeldevil
11-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Giants just trying to slant officiating, seems to be a common theme with them...

Drazo85
11-04-2012, 09:11 AM
This constant whining from the Giants players is little bit annoying. Hopefully it doesnt affect officiating.

Psycho Ward 86
11-04-2012, 11:24 AM
more headgames for the officials and our defensive backs, trying to make them 2nd guess themselves. Really hope it doesnt work...

Count Steeler
11-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Seems to be saying that the Giants are a little concerned about the match up today.

SteelerFanInStl
11-04-2012, 11:58 AM
I had nothing against the Giants before this game but I never knew that they were such a whiney bunch. All of this pregame whining is just pathetic.

steelreserve
11-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Did he skip over the half-billion or so flags that have been thrown on Taylor and Lewis? We're not getting away with it.

Steeldude
11-04-2012, 03:09 PM
I think Taylor is going to have a long game.

SteelerFanInStl
11-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Hakeem Nicks 1 catch for 10 yards
Victor Cruz 5 catches for 67 yards

HA! HA! HA!

Count Steeler
11-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Secondary played a great game. Supported the run and blanketed the receivers. Credit to where credit is due.