PDA

View Full Version : Steelers WR Antonio Brown has been fined $10,000 for taunting

polamalubeast
11-02-2012, 04:25 PM
According to @TarikCSN Steelers WR Antonio Brown has been fined $10,000 for taunting last week against the #Redskins

https://mobile.twitter.com/Steelersdepot/status/264477754274222080?p=v

stillers4me
11-02-2012, 04:27 PM
http://huff.to/RBemju

slippy
11-02-2012, 05:29 PM
when are they going to start fining holding calls? offsides? false start will cost you $2,500.

ALLD
11-02-2012, 05:30 PM
The fine is ridiculous, but if it stops him from showboating all the time, then I am for it. He could end up being one of the faces of the franchise and NFL. You don't want those players acting like kids.

slippy
11-02-2012, 05:30 PM
if the league wants to fine something, how bout starting with those stupid end zone dances?

steeldawg
11-02-2012, 05:53 PM
I think they should just allow showboating its all part of the game, has been for a long time

LLT
11-02-2012, 06:00 PM
if the league wants to fine something, how bout starting with those stupid end zone dances?

...or fine Ray Lewis for that idiotic "seizure" dance that he does before every game.

86WARD
11-02-2012, 06:06 PM
This fine isn't ridiculous at all. Brown's move was bush league...Something i'd expect from the Ravens. I only wish it came from the team instead of the league...

Where's Brandon Stokely when you need him.

Count Steeler
11-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Can't say that I'm upset with this decision. I'm sure it won't be applied consistently, however.

I just hope AB has learned when and how to celebrate.

SteelerFanInStl
11-02-2012, 06:41 PM
$10k fine for running backward? :lol: That's just stupid. I agree though, if it keeps him from doing it again, then I'm all for it.

I'm waiting to see how much DeAngelo Hall is going to get fined.

steelreserve
11-02-2012, 07:00 PM
That's idiotic. I have mixed feelings about showboating, but as far as I'm concerned, there's no need for fines or penalties for something like this. You want to start hotdogging during the play, you're already doing it at your own risk. The possibility of fucking up ought to be enough of a deterrent, and seeing DeSean Jackson do it at least once or twice a year provides a great cautionary example.

86WARD
11-02-2012, 07:01 PM
$10k fine for running backward? :lol: That's just stupid. I agree though, if it keeps him from doing it again, then I'm all for it.

I'm waiting to see how much DeAngelo Hall is going to get fined.

That would be awesome if Hall got fined less...

fansince'76
11-02-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm sure it won't be applied consistently, however.

No it won't, and that's my beef with it.

GoSlash27
11-02-2012, 08:18 PM
That's fair. (No snark). If it stops AB's taunting, it'll work out for the best.

salamander
11-02-2012, 08:38 PM
I think I'm with the majority here... if it gets AB to wise up, then I'm all for it. As for the league being consistent with future fines on other players for this kind of stuff, well let's just say I'm not holding my breath on that one.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I'm with the majority here... if it gets AB to wise up, then I'm all for it. As for the league being consistent with future fines on other players for this kind of stuff, well let's just say I'm not holding my breath on that one.

slippy
11-02-2012, 08:47 PM
i hope he gets fined for dropping the ball after a first down like santonio, hate that move! annoying AND unoriginal.

Texasteel
11-02-2012, 09:10 PM

How about starting a panel of 3 to grade the end zone dances from a scale of 1 to 10. If you get less than a 24 you get fined $5,000.

GBMelBlount
11-02-2012, 10:07 PM
How about starting a panel of 3 to grade the end zone dances from a scale of 1 to 10. If you get less than a 24 you get fined $5,000.

LOL. Celebrating with the Stars.

SteelGhost
11-02-2012, 10:18 PM
I hope the kid learned the lesson, BUT I'm not expecting consistency from Der Komish :no:

Wallace108
11-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Has this been confirmed by anyone else? I'm not saying that it's not true, but I'm a little skeptical because the report is based on a tweet by a Washington Capitals beat writer, with no attribution.

X-Terminator
11-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Has this been confirmed by anyone else? I'm not saying that it's not true, but I'm a little skeptical because the report is based on a tweet by a Washington Capitals beat writer, with no attribution.

There is nothing on NFL.com's site, and they have listed all of their fines for this week. Therefore, this story is BS, and thank God for that. This would have been the most ridiculous fine of the season by FAR. Talk about opening up a HUGE can of worms...

Craic
11-03-2012, 12:02 AM
There is nothing on NFL.com's site, and they have listed all of their fines for this week. Therefore, this story is BS, and thank God for that. This would have been the most ridiculous fine of the season by FAR. Talk about opening up a HUGE can of worms...

Well, actually, it's very specifically laid out in the rules that violations of Section 3.1.(c) (taunting) "may result in discipline by the Commissioner." As for the endzone dances that others have brought up, that's covered under (e) and as such, isn't finable. Interesting!

I'm not sure it's a huge can of worms, since it is laid out what is and is not able to be reviewed by the commissioner. However, I DO think that what he did was so minor, that a fine isn't necessary. It's not like he pointed at someone, pulled his finger across his throat, or something of that nature, which never taken lightly by any team.

stillers4me
11-03-2012, 08:17 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuJHKVQ2kLA

steelpride12
11-03-2012, 09:24 AM
It's a good call. In the end it's about a players not repeating and I guarantee we won't ever see that from Brown again.

Moose
11-03-2012, 09:48 AM
A fine for the TD taunt I'm not sure of, but I'm sure the ass chewing from Tomlin afterwards, and probable a few words during the week from Tomlin more than likely set him straight. I'd almost bet you won't see it ever again. It's definitely not a Steeler class act.

Count Steeler
11-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Can someone get a confirmation from AB? Can't find any source other than the once cited in the OP.

vader29
11-03-2012, 10:22 AM
I don't think they are done with all of the fines for the past week yet, the fine for DeAngelo Hall has yet to be determined and I'm not sure if they even make every fine public.

GBMelBlount
11-03-2012, 10:24 AM
There is nothing on NFL.com's site, and they have listed all of their fines for this week.

Therefore, this story is BS, and thank God for that. This would have been the most ridiculous fine of the season by FAR.

Absolutely. Taunting is a time honored tradition...

http://youtu.be/FWBUl7oT9sA

GoSlash27
11-03-2012, 10:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuJHKVQ2kLA

Hahah "way-back machine" much? :D

True story or false, AB needs to take some pointers from Heath. Act like ya been there before.

Count Steeler
11-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Actually if accurate, the amount should be 10,500, reflecting the 5% increase in the fines escalation clause.

Wallace108
11-03-2012, 11:22 AM
OK, it's been confirmed.

http://triblive.com/sports/2888994-85/brown-conduct-penalty-steelers-unsportsmanlike-fined-kaboly-mark-taunting-third#ixzz2BAipfhjA

It's still odd that a Washington Capitals beat writer would get the scoop on it.

stillers4me
11-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Hahah "way-back machine" much? :D

Seems like just yesterday. :heh:

CPanther95
11-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Personally, I'd like to see the team fine those stupid first down signals by any player. Or at least fine those, or any TD celebrations that occur when you aren't ahead on the scoreboard.

On the other hand, I'd like the League to start to allow coordinated TD celebrations again - but only if they are Gangnam Style.

Craic
11-03-2012, 01:56 PM
It was the third unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for Brown dating back to the preseason last year.

I guess that had something to do with it.

Count Steeler
11-03-2012, 02:21 PM
OK, it's been confirmed.

http://triblive.com/sports/2888994-85/brown-conduct-penalty-steelers-unsportsmanlike-fined-kaboly-mark-taunting-third#ixzz2BAipfhjA

It's still odd that a Washington Capitals beat writer would get the scoop on it.

So the fine is not on a list of offenses that can be fined. It would have been a different amount because of the 5% escalation clause. So it seems this was a discretionary fine handed down by the powers that be.

X-Terminator
11-03-2012, 03:02 PM
OK, it's been confirmed.

OK, this is bullshit. Opening up a whole can of worms much?

Fucking league pisses me off...

stillers4me
11-04-2012, 07:29 AM
Joe Starkey
Columnist for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review and an afternoon radio host on 93.7 The Fan

How is Antonio Brown's backward run worse than Aaron Rodgers' "belt" celebration? NFL has lost its mind ..READ MORE
The Trib reports that Brown was fined $10,000 for his backward run into the end zone. Are you kidding me? Flagging the play is fine -- Brown shouldn't have done it -- but it's hardly a fine-able offense. It's taunting, all right, but is it a worse form of taunting than, say, Aaron Rodgers, in full sight of the defense -- sometimes in the middle of defenders -- strapping on his imaginary championship belt? This league must have more important issues to deal with, like the defensive lineman who reportedly went on a drunken rampage in Pittsburgh a few weeks back but is still practicing with the Steelers. Or how about the fact that the NFL is staging a game today within a stone's throw of thousands and thousands of people still without electricity and waiting on mile-long lines for gas? Is it a good idea to light up an NFL stadium and have people drive there and use security resources on a football game? Oh well, I sure hope Emmanuel Sanders doesn't fake any more leg cramps. And God forbid Antonio Brown run backwards into the end zone again. You get 'em, NFL!

salamander
11-04-2012, 09:02 AM
Joe Starkey
Columnist for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review and an afternoon radio host on 93.7 The Fan

How is Antonio Brown's backward run worse than Aaron Rodgers' "belt" celebration? NFL has lost its mind ..READ MORE
The Trib reports that Brown was fined $10,000 for his backward run into the end zone. Are you kidding me? Flagging the play is fine -- Brown shouldn't have done it -- but it's hardly a fine-able offense. It's taunting, all right, but is it a worse form of taunting than, say, Aaron Rodgers, in full sight of the defense -- sometimes in the middle of defenders -- strapping on his imaginary championship belt? This league must have more important issues to deal with, like the defensive lineman who reportedly went on a drunken rampage in Pittsburgh a few weeks back but is still practicing with the Steelers. Or how about the fact that the NFL is staging a game today within a stone's throw of thousands and thousands of people still without electricity and waiting on mile-long lines for gas? Is it a good idea to light up an NFL stadium and have people drive there and use security resources on a football game? Oh well, I sure hope Emmanuel Sanders doesn't fake any more leg cramps. And God forbid Antonio Brown run backwards into the end zone again. You get 'em, NFL!

Good to know the NFL has it's priorities in order... Anything to make that money! :crazy:

CPanther95
11-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Based on the way they've called taunting in the past, I couldn't see them flagging, much less fining, Brown for that without him pointing a finger or the ball at the nearest defender while running backwards. To me it was the equivalent of diving into the endzone, high-stepping, or any other of the stupid Deion wannabe moves guys make while still in the field of play.

Another gray area we saw last year, or the year before, was when someone stopped on the 1, turned around and fell backward into the endzone. They called him for an illegal celebration because he went to the ground, but because it started before the endzone, it really shouldn't have been called.