PDA

View Full Version : Cook: Steelers wrong to keep Ta'amu

stillers4me
11-02-2012, 03:57 PM
It seemed so wrong. Seeing rookie nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu on the practice field Thursday with the other Steelers in their South Side indoor facility, getting ready for the game Sunday against the New York Giants. Seeing him in the locker room afterward, shedding his pads, walking to the shower, interacting with his teammates. It all seemed so wrong.

Why is Ta'amu still with the Steelers?........

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-steelers-wrong-to-keep-taamu-660282/#ixzz2B6K4bKSR

Shoes
11-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Why is Cook still "writing" for the PG?

slippy
11-02-2012, 08:44 PM
cook is an idiot.

GBMelBlount
11-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Why is Cook still "writing" for the PG?

Beat me to it. lol.

steeldawg
11-03-2012, 05:30 AM
I didnt find anything wrong with the article.

Seven
11-03-2012, 07:05 AM
I completely agree with Cook. I doubt Ta'amu is going to be able to beat out McLendon anytime soon anyway.

Count Steeler
11-03-2012, 07:23 AM
He should have been suspended indefinitely, pending the result of his court cases. This is not his first DUI, and even if it was, it was pretty egregious. Blowing almost 2.0? Come on kid, get some help.

stillers4me
11-03-2012, 08:12 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about this one. They apparently feel his worth a second chance , both on the field and off the field. Maybe it's a case of the importance of a young guy being around his vetern teammates being the best way for him to make the turnaround.

If there's a second time....he's gone.

Seven
11-03-2012, 08:39 AM
If he turns into a bust, which is a very real possibility based on some of the flaws he displayed at Washington, the team is going to have major egg on its face for keeping him around.

Count Steeler
11-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Will be interesting to see how much the Steelers spend for his defense attorney.

salamander
11-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Talented or not, what he did is completely unacceptable. I don't fully agree with the Steelers keeping him around.

X-Terminator
11-03-2012, 03:06 PM
I've been asking that question since the day he was suspended by the team. He should have been gone, post-haste. For once, I agree with Ron Kook.

Craic
11-03-2012, 05:00 PM
He should have been suspended indefinitely, pending the result of his court cases. This is not his first DUI, and even if it was, it was pretty egregious. Blowing almost 2.0? Come on kid, get some help.

I can agree with that - but the other issue is that after all, this was his first offense as a Steelers player. I have no problem giving someone the chance to grow up after a first offense. If it happens a second time however, and I mean almost any brush with the law (outside of the typical misdemeanor like doing 70 in a 60), then I want him gone.

Shoes
11-03-2012, 06:29 PM
I can agree with that - but the other issue is that after all, this was his first offense as a Steelers player. I have no problem giving someone the chance to grow up after a first offense. If it happens a second time however, and I mean almost any brush with the law (outside of the typical misdemeanor like doing 70 in a 60), then I want him gone.

I agree, Preach.....it is amazing tho how some can cry off with his head after one team offense. Memories are short.

Count Steeler
11-03-2012, 07:00 PM

At the very least, I hope the Steelers have enrolled him into a "Don't Drink and Drive" course.

The severity of the offense is also to be considered. As an example, if he killed someone, which was very possible with the way he acted, the "first offense" defense just would not have any merit.

JayC
11-03-2012, 07:10 PM
I didnt find anything wrong with the article.

this.

Count Steeler
11-03-2012, 07:18 PM
I agree, Preach.....it is amazing tho how some can cry off with his head after one team offense. Memories are short.

Simply saying "first offense" in this instance is belittling the serious problem that driving while intoxicated really is. He blew close to 2.0 and he took out 5 vehicles while being chased by the police. The police are taking this quite seriously, charged with 5 felonies, I believe. Just thank God that no one was seriously injured.

zulater
11-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Everyone's entitled their opinion. And I can understand Cook's point. But at the same token I trust the Steelers have good reasons for handling this the way that they are. It wouldn't even surprise me if they're waiting for the league to take action so they'll be off the hook for the remainder of his salary. If they cut him now I'm pretty sure they'd have to pay the remainder of his contract for this season and wouldn't have any recourse to take back any part of his signing bonus.

Or it might be that they think he's a decent kid who made a terrible mistake who deserves a second chance. And maybe they think he can be a guy worth having on the roster if he straightens his act out?

I really don't know? But what i do know is that the Steelers aren't stupid and aren't doing this without considering all the angles.

Count Steeler
11-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Everyone's entitled their opinion. And I can understand Cook's point. But at the same token I trust the Steelers have good reasons for handling this the way that they are. It wouldn't even surprise me if they're waiting for the league to take action so they'll be off the hook for the remainder of his salary. If they cut him now I'm pretty sure they'd have to pay the remainder of his contract for this season and wouldn't have any recourse to take back any part of his signing bonus.

Or it might be that they think he's a decent kid who made a terrible mistake who deserves a second chance. And maybe they think he can be a guy worth having on the roster if he straightens his act out?

I really don't know? But what i do know is that the Steelers aren't stupid and aren't doing this without considering all the angles.

I hope they do, but on the surface this is pretty bad. And if they are doing this for the salary consideration, we are only talking 360,000. (Of course "only" being a relative term and for the NFL, that is chump change).

Shoes
11-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Simply saying "first offense" in this instance is belittling the serious problem that driving while intoxicated really is. He blew close to 2.0 and he took out 5 vehicles while being chased by the police. The police are taking this quite seriously, charged with 5 felonies, I believe. Just thank God that no one was seriously injured.

If he had the talent at his position that Ben has at his, I truly believe he'd have more sympathy from the house. We are a fickle bunch. How about "Arrow Head Holmes".....I remember in 1973 he was shooting at a police helicopter after being chased for shooting at trucks on the highway! The Rooney's didn't take his head. He was given 5 years probation. The fact is we have bias for the better players....and so do the Rooney's.

Count Steeler
11-03-2012, 07:55 PM
If he had the talent at his position that Ben has at his, I truly believe he'd have more sympathy from the house. We are a fickle bunch. How about "Arrow Head Holmes".....I remember in 1973 he was shooting at a police helicopter after being chased for shooting at trucks on the highway! The Rooney's didn't take his head. He was given 5 years probation. The fact is we have bias for the better player.

In general, you may be correct. In my case, you are not. As much as it would pain me to see one of our "stars" in this situation, I would be calling for the same result.

Shoes
11-03-2012, 07:58 PM
In general, you may be correct. In my case, you are not. As much as it would pain me to see one of our "stars" in this situation, I would be calling for the same result.

I would too...but that isn't how the Rooney's or any other owner plays this game.....and that's the sad facts.

Count Steeler
11-03-2012, 07:59 PM
I would too...but that isn't how the Rooney's or any other owner plays this game.....and that's the sad facts.

Too true!

Craic
11-03-2012, 08:49 PM

I know you weren't responding directly to me, so this post is more towards the general ideas in your statement.

"First offense" isn't belittling the problem, IMO. It's the same way that I felt after the accusation with Ben, the same way I felt after Harrison slapped his girlfriend (at least, to my recollection, though I do remember acting very strongly to hitting a woman), and once we found out about Bongtonio, the same way I reacted to him. First time's a mistake, second time is a mistake to keep them.

I fully agree with you that DUI is a very serious offense. However, the damage (and even taking of life) done by DUI is not part of the active thought process (I'm going to kill this person, I'm going to destroy this car, etc). That doesn't lessen the seriousness or the results of what can happen, but it does speak to the difference between someone that's involved in a DUI accident, and someone that's involved in an outright homicide, or assault, etc.

Now in this case specifically, yeah, he did aim his car at the cop cars - and that moves it into an even different world. I'm actually split on this issue. Part of me wishes that he'd be suspended from the team for the rest of the season. No contact, no pay, no ring if we win the SB. However, part of me would rather see him back and taken under the wing of some of our older players that have been around the bend and grew up. In that case, I think Harrison, Ben, and a few others that realized it was time to grow up and took responsibility for their own lives should have a little sit down with him, and then not let him out of their sight until the season is over.

Count Steeler
11-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Now in this case specifically, yeah, he did aim his car at the cop cars - and that moves it into an even different world. I'm actually split on this issue. Part of me wishes that he'd be suspended from the team for the rest of the season. No contact, no pay, no ring if we win the SB. However, part of me would rather see him back and taken under the wing of some of our older players that have been around the bend and grew up. In that case, I think Harrison, Ben, and a few others that realized it was time to grow up and took responsibility for their own lives should have a little sit down with him, and then not let him out of their sight until the season is over.

While I do appreciate the sentiment, I wonder if any of the players actually has the time to spend on him, to adequately make a difference. At the very least, I would hope he is in some kind of counseling. Of course, this could all be a moot point if he is sentenced to prison.

Craic
11-03-2012, 11:05 PM
While I do appreciate the sentiment, I wonder if any of the players actually has the time to spend on him, to adequately make a difference. At the very least, I would hope he is in some kind of counseling. Of course, this could all be a moot point if he is sentenced to prison.

Often times, I think they actually make time - it's pretty much what Batch seemed to do with Ben for a while, and what Ward tried to do with quite a few receivers. I seem to remember hearing something every now and then as well about a vet opening his house and a rookie moving in. (talking in the league, not necessary on this team the last few years).

steelreserve
11-04-2012, 01:40 AM
The severity of the offense is also to be considered. As an example, if he killed someone, which was very possible with the way he acted, the "first offense" defense just would not have any merit.

As they say, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

All joking aside, I'm all for giving people the benefit of the doubt, but there's not much room for that given how fucked up what he did was. They should have AT LEAST deactivated him for the season (I mean, it's not like he's seeing the field anyway). A two-week suspension sends a pretty weak message.

st33lersguy
11-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Yeah like why didn't we cut Smokey in the summer of 06 when he got arrested a couple times? Ta'amu deserves a second chance

Dino 6 Rings
11-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Was Cook wearing his Psu hat while writing that article? He can kiss my arse!

plenewken
11-05-2012, 08:24 AM
What does it change if it's his first offense as a Steelers? You don't receive an amnesty because you switch teams.

Psycho Ward 86
11-05-2012, 05:47 PM
if he turned out to be a Haloti Ngata and we were completely devoid of talent at nose tackle, most of your memories would magically become soooo short.

Animal Mother
11-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Was Cook wearing his Psu hat while writing that article? He can kiss my arse!

Oh you are a fan of someone who weighs over 300 pounds but still manages to drink enough to blow a .20, get in his car without regard for public safety, starts passing cars on a double yellow, swerves around a cop telling him to stop, starts driving in the wrong direction, hits a bunch of cars, injures some onlookers, then decides enough is enough but he doesn't want to get arrested so he gets out of his car and starts running down the street?

If someone wearing a PSU hat means that you are not a fan of that type of person, then I agree with your assessment.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Oh you are a fan of someone who weighs over 300 pounds but still manages to drink enough to blow a .20, get in his car without regard for public safety, starts passing cars on a double yellow, swerves around a cop telling him to stop, starts driving in the wrong direction, hits a bunch of cars, injures some onlookers, then decides enough is enough but he doesn't want to get arrested so he gets out of his car and starts running down the street?

If someone wearing a PSU hat means that you are not a fan of that type of person, then I agree with your assessment.

But I guess its OK to be a fan of someone that engages in questionable activities with a young woman in a bathroom of a college bar, while his 300lb friends block off the entrance to the bathroom.

If we can all come down off our high horses and admitt that franchise players get defended to the greatest degree and 4th round draft picks are cannon fodder....then I think we can all get along better.

Animal Mother
11-10-2012, 06:08 PM
I see what you are saying, but I think here there is a clear line and that starts with the fact Ta'amu was arrested. For me, what Ben did was horrible judgement but there was no evidence of forced rape. Here, the guy takes off after drinking 24 beers (my estimations given his body weight and an online calculator) then puts lives in jeopardy driving down the road in a drunken stupor. At least Ben had the wherewithal to hire a limo for his night out.

But I guess its OK to be a fan of someone that engages in questionable activities with a young woman in a bathroom of a college bar, while his 300lb friends block off the entrance to the bathroom.

If we can all come down off our high horses and admitt that franchise players get defended to the greatest degree and 4th round draft picks are cannon fodder....then I think we can all get along better.

Psycho Ward 86
11-10-2012, 06:17 PM

everyone attacking taamu has now been zinged.

HollywoodSteel
11-10-2012, 06:45 PM
everyone attacking taamu has now been zinged.

I think you can attack Ta'amu all you want without being a hypocrite for the exact reason Animal suggests. I was one of the loudest screamers when it came to the Commish's treatment of Ben. He was charged with nothing, and convicted of nothing. But if he was proven to be a rapist I would say that Ben deserves to sit in prison way past his due date as an NFL player.

But all that said, I actually agree with you, Psycho, when it comes to the Steelers and Ta'amu. I think the Steelers should do whatever is in the Steelers best interest, and at this point I think that is keeping him on the roster, riding out the legal process and taking it from there. Ta'amu will be punished to whatever extent by the court, then if the kid is still a viable NFL player, I don't see who it helps if the Steelers let another team pick him up. From what I've read about the kid, he is not a character problem like a Dez Bryant or Aquib Talib. He obviously has a horrible issue with alcohol (and judgement) but what better franchise is there that could help keep him on the straight and narrow than the Steelers? In fact there are two guys in the league that I feel are best suited to help the kid understand how, after an experience like this, you can not only turn your life around and be a better teammate, you can be a better human being as well. Those two guys are Ray Lewis and Big Ben. Ray is probably done in this league, so that leaves one.

But let's forget the Steelers' interests and Ta'amu's interests for a second. I think this outcome is in society's best interest as well. The last thing I want is for this man to lose his way in life, fall into a depression and hit the bottle again.

Animal Mother
11-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Later, skater.

Steelers dump Alameda Ta’amu
Posted by Mike Florio on November 12, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
Ta'amu Alameda , Jerry Olsavsky, AP

After rookie fourth-round defensive tackle Alameda Ta’amu was arrested on a laundry list of charges last month, the team suspended him two games. Apparently, that was the extent of the punishment.

Apparently, it wasn’t.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/12/steelers-dump-alameda-taamu/

bayz101
11-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Later, skater.

Steelers dump Alameda Ta’amu
Posted by Mike Florio on November 12, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
Ta'amu Alameda , Jerry Olsavsky, AP

After rookie fourth-round defensive tackle Alameda Ta’amu was arrested on a laundry list of charges last month, the team suspended him two games. Apparently, that was the extent of the punishment.

Apparently, it wasn’t.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/12/steelers-dump-alameda-taamu/

They did that to make room for a fourth receiver. Ta'Amu will sign with the Practice Squad soon.

steelreserve
11-12-2012, 04:14 PM
They did that to make room for a fourth receiver. Ta'Amu will sign with the Practice Squad soon.

more likely ... ladies and gentlemen, your 2012 Oakland eehhrrrrrrRAIDERS!