PDA

View Full Version : Steelers’ Foster, Colon on guard against Giants

stillers4me
11-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Jonathan Dwyer has staked his claim as the feature back for a revamped Steelers run game but not without the benefit of tireless effort from guards Ramon Foster and Willie Colon.

The guards were hardly considered the strength of the offensive line when the season began. Now they are arguably among the most consistent tandem in the AFC..........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2866552-85/giants-season-colon-pass-run-defensive-game-foster-guys-rush#ixzz2B6IXb23X

zulater
11-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Pouncey, Foster, and Colon all played tremendously against the Giants. They're carving huge holes for our backs to go through. This wasn't a one week thing either. Going back to the Eagles game the interior of offensive line is getting it done!

Which brings me to my point. If DeCastro comes back healthy put him in in spot duty when possible. Particularly in a blowout situation. The reason being if he proves to the league he's healthy and has game use him next April to trade up in the draft. Not because I have anything against him or doubt he can be a good player in the league. But because there's no need of an upgrade on the interior line. Foster is playing at close to Pro Bowl level, maybe he's even there. Same with Willie Colon. And more important still they've meshed as a unit.

Look I understand injuries and the luxury of having quality depth. Particularly given Colon's recent history. But if you can package DeCastro along with next year's number one pick and get into the top 12 picks of the draft we could address more urgent needs. An impact linebacker, or game changing safety would help this team a lot more than having the best trio of guards in the league.

Craic
11-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Pouncey, Foster, and Colon all played tremendously against the Giants. They're carving huge holes for our backs to go through. This wasn't a one week thing either. Going back to the Eagles game the interior of offensive line is getting it done!

Which brings me to my point. If DeCastro comes back healthy put him in in spot duty when possible. Particularly in a blowout situation. The reason being if he proves to the league he's healthy and has game use him next April to trade up in the draft. Not because I have anything against him or doubt he can be a good player in the league. But because there's no need of an upgrade on the interior line. Foster is playing at close to Pro Bowl level, maybe he's even there. Same with Willie Colon. And more important still they've meshed as a unit.

Look I understand injuries and the luxury of having quality depth. Particularly given Colon's recent history. But if you can package DeCastro along with next year's number one pick and get into the top 12 picks of the draft we could address more urgent needs. An impact linebacker, or game changing safety would help this team a lot more than having the best trio of guards in the league.

Thing is, as much as I'm impressed with Foster, he's a downgrade from DeCastro with a year or two under his belt. I really don't want to trade the future for right now. Instead, I agree with you that we should be giving him spot duty when he comes back, and then trade Foster next year, if anything. DeCastro is much longer, has a much greater upside, and was playing almost at the same level as Foster in his first three games as a rookie - in the preseason.

All in all however, I think we keep both of them, and we should. I'd rather have Foster or DeCastro as a number two, than Kelvin Beachum.

SteelerFanInStl
11-07-2012, 12:28 PM
No way in Hell I'd even consider trading DeCastro.

zulater
11-07-2012, 12:35 PM
No way in Hell I'd even consider trading DeCastro.

You have no idea how good Foster and Colon are playing right now then. You'd have to go back to the 70's to find the Steelers getting this quality of play from both guards and their center at the same time. So why disrupt what's clearly working?

Let me stipulate this. We have 8 more games and a hopefully a playoff run ahead. If we keep seeing what I've been seeing for the past 5 games from these guys for the rest of the season I say package DeCastro with a pick and get your future James Harrison or Troy Polamalu with a premium first round pick.

Count Steeler
11-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Can't see another team taking that kind of risk coming off the knee injury he had. DeCastro may not even play this season.

However, I'd rather have depth in the O Line than start trading away our future. Harrison was undrafted, I believe. And we don't really need stars in our defense, we just need guys that will follow the scheme and execute. I would still consider Taylor to safety and let Lewis and C. Allen take the CB positions. Brown could be our nickel. Of course, we could upgrade through the coming draft, but I would hold on to DeCastro for now.

slippy
11-07-2012, 06:03 PM
you're way off on this one Zu. decastro is staying to at least the end of his rookie contract.

zulater
11-07-2012, 06:10 PM
you're way off on this one Zu. decastro is staying to at least the end of his rookie contract.

I'm not "way off" because I'm not making a prediction. I'm offereing opinion and commentary and saying what I would do. I realize the Steelers don't ever trade players.

But I'll tell you this. It's going to be hard to take Foster out of the lineup if he keeps playing at his current level. It's not just a player for player replacement thing at this point. It's also about a highly functioning unit and the chemistry they're establishing together. You don't mess with that sort of thing without a great deal of thought.

Drazo85
11-07-2012, 06:28 PM
DeCastro is nothing but asset to us. Nothing to take away anything from Ramon, but DeCastro is labeled as one of the most promising guard of the decade , and to trade him away because of pair great games from Foster is not wise decision (no matter DeCastro hasnt shown anything yet in the NFL). Foster and DeCastro are here to stay. I have to ask myself and you guys have we learned anything from this season? I hate to say this, but one injury away, and we are down to Legursky or Beachum at guard and thats not a good thing right now. I say we ride the Foster and Colon as long as we can, and when that train stops, we insert DeCastro. I know its not fair to Willie and Ramon, but much greater players were benched or released than those two.

dislocatedday
11-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Plus, one other thing to consider is that Willie has missed significant time with injuries in the past (2 entire seasons basically), and while not old, he is also not that young. The team needs to keep some solid depth at Guard. While DeCastro has not achieved anything in the NFL yet, my strong hunch is that he is going to be great, and not just good (...I know, everybody says that, so it's not like I am making a bold prediction..).

Psycho Ward 86
11-07-2012, 07:43 PM
trading decastro when he hasnt even played snap. are these folks serious^^^

zulater
11-07-2012, 07:55 PM
trading decastro when he hasnt even played snap. are these folks serious^^^

It's not "folks". It's just me, and I explained my position quite clearly for anyone who bothered to read through the thread.

And as I hold no power in the Steelers organization , nor do I propose to have any Physcic ability. Therefore take it for what it is. Strictly an observation on my part of the high level of play Ramon Foster is currently providing the Steelers, and posing the question of why you would consider disrupting such an effective and high performing unit?

Psycho Ward 86
11-07-2012, 08:39 PM
It's not "folks". It's just me, and I explained my position quite clearly for anyone who bothered to read through the thread.

And as I hold no power in the Steelers organization , nor do I propose to have any Physcic ability. Therefore take it for what it is. Strictly an observation on my part of the high level of play Ramon Foster is currently providing the Steelers, and posing the question of why you would consider disrupting such an effective and high performing unit?

disrupting? Were 8 games in. They could get better, they could get worse. We dont know if this duo can play this well, this consistently. You want to trade a guy touted by virtually all draft pundits as the next decade long, All-pro Alan Faneca? Do you think these 2 are going to play at an all pro level for a decade like Decastro probably will? Doubtful. And injuries happen too. Remember the stuff Colon has been through. Heck, a lot of people thought he would get cut. Dont know about Foster's injury history off the top of my head but we'd probably be kicking ourselves to get rid of a guy like Decastro without even fully understand what he could do.

X-Terminator
11-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Uh, yeah. There is absolutely no chance in hell the Steelers even consider trading DeCastro. That would simply be one of the dumbest moves they have ever made, especially after fans have complained for years about the lack of talent on the OL. This is a thought that should be thrown back into your brain's bit bucket.

SteelerFanInStl
11-08-2012, 12:14 PM
You have no idea how good Foster and Colon are playing right now then.

Wrong. I see it very clearly. I've also watched Foster since he came in to the league. As good as the line is playing right now, they will be even BETTER with DeCastro starting and Foster as a sub. With all of the injuries we've had on the line, we need that quality depth.

Lou Donny
11-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Wrong. I see it very clearly. I've also watched Foster since he came in to the league. As good as the line is playing right now, they will be even BETTER with DeCastro starting and Foster as a sub. With all of the injuries we've had on the line, we need that quality depth.

If we have learned anything in the last few years, its the importance of OL depth.

I too expect DeCastro to hit the ground running. Foster, however, put together some really good tape...especially vs NYG

Edman
11-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Ramon Foster suddenly playing better than average doesn't mean Decastro should be shipped out. If this offense can make the remarkably average Ramon Foster improve, imagine what it can do for a blue-chip guy like DD.

Let's be honest here, even with his improved play, Foster isn't going to be making any all-pro lists anytime soon. Colon maybe, but not him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-08-2012, 07:22 PM
I say package DeCastro with a pick and get your future James Harrison or Troy Polamalu with a premium first round pick.

Not that often in the NFL that trades happen. Its more prevalent in the NBA, NHL, etc. I still dont think you trade away a guy that you project to be a standout OG for the next decade. Maybe you get Shawn Merriman or Mike Mammula type guy in return.

Thing is, as much as I'm impressed with Foster, he's a downgrade from DeCastro with a year or two under his belt. I really don't want to trade the future for right now. Instead, I agree with you that we should be giving him spot duty when he comes back, and then trade Foster next year, if anything. DeCastro is much longer, has a much greater upside, and was playing almost at the same level as Foster in his first three games as a rookie - in the preseason.

All in all however, I think we keep both of them, and we should. I'd rather have Foster or DeCastro as a number two, than Kelvin Beachum.

I agree that Foster is playing well. He is a solid run blocker and I saw him just stifle a bull rush from Linval Joseph on Sunday. He still struggles with quick guys on the interior, but most OG's will. I still think you would rather have 3 or 4 solid interior linemen than trade away 1. Colon is 1 more injury away from being a lost cause.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Uh, yeah. There is absolutely no chance in hell the Steelers even consider trading DeCastro. That would simply be one of the dumbest moves they have ever made, especially after fans have complained for years about the lack of talent on the OL. This is a thought that should be thrown back into your brain's bit bucket.

Especially on a 4 year- $8million contract. Didnt the Steelers once pay Max Starks $7million for 1 season?

Craic
11-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Not that often in the NFL that trades happen. Its more prevalent in the NBA, NHL, etc. I still dont think you trade away a guy that you project to be a standout OG for the next decade. Maybe you get Shawn Merriman or Mike Mammula type guy in return.

I agree that Foster is playing well. He is a solid run blocker and I saw him just stifle a bull rush from Linval Joseph on Sunday. He still struggles with quick guys on the interior, but most OG's will. I still think you would rather have 3 or 4 solid interior linemen than trade away 1. Colon is 1 more injury away from being a lost cause.

Hey, was actually thinking about you yesterday as I was posting my thoughts about the last game (was talking about the O line).

Seven
11-10-2012, 01:13 PM
DeCastro is nothing but asset to us. Nothing to take away anything from Ramon, but DeCastro is labeled as one of the most promising guard of the decade , and to trade him away because of pair great games from Foster is not wise decision (no matter DeCastro hasnt shown anything yet in the NFL). Foster and DeCastro are here to stay. I have to ask myself and you guys have we learned anything from this season? I hate to say this, but one injury away, and we are down to Legursky or Beachum at guard and thats not a good thing right now. I say we ride the Foster and Colon as long as we can, and when that train stops, we insert DeCastro. I know its not fair to Willie and Ramon, but much greater players were benched or released than those two.

Great post, couldn't agree more.

zulater
11-10-2012, 01:54 PM
I don't know what Steeler team you guys have been watching, but you name me the last time we had a right guard playing at the level that Foster is playing at this year?

Anyone?

We've won a lot of games with mediocre or worse players manning that position. So having exceptional depth there? Not really putting that Chris Mathews for Obama tingle up my leg if you know what I mean.

Oh well it;'s not like we couldn't use help anywhere else, because we're obviously just as loaded at linebacker and safety as we are at the all important position of back up offensive guard.
:sarcasm:

Look guys I know trades like I'm proposing rarely happen in the NFL. I certainly don't expect the Steelers to follow my advice. I'm sure DeCastro will come in and compete for a starting spot next spring at OTA's. I just pray they make him earn it and don't just give it to him because of his draft status.

Bottom line what I'm proposing isn't stupid or ridiculous. It's just thinking outside the box.

Seven
11-10-2012, 02:11 PM
I don't know what Steeler team you guys have been watching, but you name me the last time we had a right guard playing at the level that Foster is playing at this year?

Anyone?

We've won a lot of games with mediocre or worse players manning that position. So having exceptional depth there? Not really putting that Chris Mathews for Obama tingle up my leg if you know what I mean.

Oh well it;'s not like we couldn't use help anywhere else, because we're obviously just as loaded at linebacker and safety as we are at the all important position of back up offensive guard.
:sarcasm:

Look guys I know trades like I'm proposing rarely happen in the NFL. I certainly don't expect the Steelers to follow my advice. I'm sure DeCastro will come in and compete for a starting spot next spring at OTA's. I just pray they make him earn it and don't just give it to him because of his draft status.

Bottom line what I'm proposing isn't stupid or ridiculous. It's just thinking outside the box.

No, it's not ridiculous. My reaction wasn't NO WAY!!!like some of the other posts here haha. It's not a complete no brainer, but I feel like the Steelers will make solid use of whatever selection they make regardless of where they pick. I mean, look at last year. I know a lot of us wanted to trade up into like the 12 spot to grab DeCastro but the Steelers operated the way they usually do and just took the safe route and we ended up with him anyway. I'm not saying that happens every single year, I know it's not just as simple as "the Steelers will get lucky and make a good decision because they are the Steelers". But I feel pretty good holding on to DeCastro, even with Foster playing as well as he is. When is the last time Willie Colon stayed healthy? Fingers crossed, but I bet most of us are surprised he's started every game this season. We definitely could use help at other areas on the field, and a first round safety could prove to be a great pick. I just feel like the value for moving DeCastro wouldn't be there. Highly touted players are like cars. It seems as if once you get your hands on a guy, his value goes down by 25% compared to where he was when he came out. Do you think DeCastro + the 27th - 32nd pick in the draft could even get us in the top 7 picks? I'm not certain it would. And I think I'd rather have DeCastro + the 32nd pick than I would a top 7 guy anyway.

Not an awful question, something to at least think about. But I have to agree with everyone else in the end. I think it would be better judgement to hang on to #66.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-10-2012, 02:36 PM

Bottom line is that it will NEVER happen.

Its thinking so far out of the box, that if Kevin Colbert were to do it, then many would advocate that he be put in a padded box.

zulater
11-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Bottom line is that it will NEVER happen.

Its thinking so far out of the box, that if Kevin Colbert were to do it, then many would advocate that he be put in a padded box.

Answer my earliar question then.

When was the last time the Steelers got better play our of their RG than what Foster is providing them this year?

So why do you need to upgrade?

Better yet, Colon, Pouncey and Foster have started to develop an obvious chemistry together. Their working as an effective unit. Why do you disrupt that? And equally important could disrupting them have an adverse effect on Colon or Pouncey's play?

You don't take Ringo out of the Beatles because Keith Moon was a better drummer ya know?!
:chuckle: :wink02:

ALLD
11-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Keep the line intact and keep adding. Finally getting an OL together and the first sight greedy people want to reduce depth. It was the combination of players after shuffling them like a deck of cards for the last five seasons. I doubt Ben would agree to ship any of them off since he has been sacked the fewest times in how long?

Psycho Ward 86
11-10-2012, 05:31 PM

When was the last time the Steelers got better play our of their RG than what Foster is providing them this year?

Better yet, Colon, Pouncey and Foster have started to develop an obvious chemistry together. Their working as an effective unit. Why do you disrupt that? And equally important could disrupting them have an adverse effect on Colon or Pouncey's play?

You don't take Ringo out of the Beatles because Keith Moon was a better drummer ya know?!

its only been 8 games and people are already overzealous and spoiled with the O-line we have. Do you think Foster and Colon are impermeable to harm or something? i understand your excitement for our 2 current guards, im about as thrilled as anybody, but Colon is 1 major injury away from being absolutely finished in the NFL, i cant believe people forgot so fast how injury prone he's become. if either of our guards become injured and we hypothetically already traded decastro chances are we'd end up plugging in another trai essex or darnell stapleton in there. lets not experience that era of o-line play again. seriously lol.

Craic
11-10-2012, 05:41 PM

No, you keep them intact this year. But chemistry doesn't last over the offseason. Friendships, etc., do, but not on-field chemistry. That's why you give DeCastro the opportunity to play next year. Let me go at it from a different direction . . .

I fully admit that DeCastro is not Pouncey. That being said however, in hindsight, would you have been happy if Pouncey got injured during his first preseason, and Legursky took over his spot, then the following year, we got rid of Pouncey? And yes, Legurskey at center is in the same general area as Foster at Guard. Leg. is a horrible guard per se, but a pretty solid center.

None of us would have been happy with that. Why? Because as good as Leg. can get, he does not have the football talent and strength that Pouncey has. Now, with that said, After the first couple of weeks in camp and a game or two, DeCastro had already beaten out Foster at guard. That means he was already playing better than him. Add to that, the fact that he was a rookie with a whole lot of learning still to do, and you have a player that has very little downside and a whole lot of upside.

So you keep the line together this year while letting DeCastro sub in during some fourth quarters when we're playing Pound the Pig. Then we keep both of them next year, because like you said, when was the last time we had a good RG? If Foster can handle the LG position as well, then you have a first and second string player at all three inside positions that can come in and play a very solid set of games while the starter heals.