PDA

View Full Version : Steelers’ fan Admiral Greenert to be honored at game

fansince'76
11-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Steelers’ Nation is far reaching, with many of the team’s biggest fans being those who serve in the military. Among those fans is Admiral Jonathan W. Greenert, the Chief of U.S. Naval Operations.

Greenert, along with Army Chief of Staff General Raymond T. Odierno, will be honored along with veterans and wounded warriors on the field pregame when the Steelers take on the New York Giants on Sunday at MetLife Stadium as a part of the NFL’s “Salute to Service” campaign in conjunction with the upcoming Veteran’s Day.

Read more: Steelers’ fan Admiral Greenert to be honored at game (http://blog.steelers.com/2012/11/01/steelers-fan-admiral-greenert-to-be-honored-at-game/)

Craic
11-01-2012, 07:51 PM
That's great and everything - but honestly, if you (general you) want to really honor a military member, next time you see him or her in uniform, walk up to the person, shake their hand, look them in the eye, and tell them "thank you for making me safe."

If your in a restaurant, call the waiter/waitress over and ask for their bill - preferably without them knowing who paid it, but with a message of thank you sent to them.

If you see someone coming back from the desert and you have a first class seat on an airline, offer to give it up for them. I know, that's money, but think about what they just did for you the last few years.

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad the NFL is doing what it's doing, and I'm not trying to belittle it at all. But I just think that one-on-one gestures mean a whole lot more.

And on that note - thanks to everyone who did serve.

SCSTILLER
11-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Preach,

As an active duty service member myself I must say, and this is how I feel personally, that the individual "thank you's" and individual gestures go alot further than the mass gestures like you mentioned.

And on that note, GO STEELERS!

steelreserve
11-02-2012, 07:06 PM
That's great and everything - but honestly, if you (general you) want to really honor a military member, next time you see him or her in uniform, walk up to the person, shake their hand, look them in the eye, and tell them "thank you for making me safe."

If your in a restaurant, call the waiter/waitress over and ask for their bill - preferably without them knowing who paid it, but with a message of thank you sent to them.

If you see someone coming back from the desert and you have a first class seat on an airline, offer to give it up for them. I know, that's money, but think about what they just did for you the last few years.

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad the NFL is doing what it's doing, and I'm not trying to belittle it at all. But I just think that one-on-one gestures mean a whole lot more.

And on that note - thanks to everyone who did serve.

I disagree. I think if you want to thank a member of the military, the appropriate thing to do is punch the nearest foreigner in the nose.

Craic
11-02-2012, 09:53 PM
I disagree. I think if you want to thank a member of the military, the appropriate thing to do is punch the nearest foreigner in the nose.

:buttkick: :chuckle:

Bluecoat96
11-02-2012, 10:00 PM

If I don't see any foreigners around, am I able to simply punch a peace-loving hippie in the nut-sac instead?

steelreserve
11-02-2012, 11:44 PM
If I don't see any foreigners around, am I able to simply punch a peace-loving hippie in the nut-sac instead?

You should be doing that regardless.

Craic
11-03-2012, 08:14 PM
You should be doing that regardless.

All those years I was living in the SF bay area . . . THAT's what I was doing wrong!

steelreserve
11-04-2012, 01:42 AM
fraid so ...

and here, I think the customary way to thank a member of the military is to give them the ol' reach around. Not sure if that's caught on anywhere else.