PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Sandy Aftermath Forces Steelers To Travel To NY A Day Later Than Planned

polamalubeast
11-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Hurricane Sandy Aftermath Forces Steelers To Travel To New York A Day Later Than Planned

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/11/hurricane-sandy-aftermath-forces-steelers-to-travel-to-new-york-a-day-later-than-planned/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

SteelerFanInStl
11-01-2012, 09:12 PM
I read this earlier today and it sucks. We now have to travel to NY Sunday morning.

GoSlash27
11-01-2012, 10:44 PM
It'll be the same on both sides of the ball. Just a matter of proving that we're more adaptable than the other guys.

smokin3000gt
11-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Of all the teams! Giants are going to be tough enough as it is!!

Seven
11-01-2012, 11:21 PM
This sort of reminds me of the 2004 15-1 season when the team was visiting Miami during Hurricane Jeanne. I remember some of the guys on the roster said they thought that abnormality in the schedule really brought that team together and made them closer as a group. Hopefully this experience will only add to the cohesion of this years team.

X-Terminator
11-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Yeah, I think we're definitely boned...

zulater
11-02-2012, 05:59 AM
I was listening to them talking about this last night on the radio. And they were saying how players are so used to routine, and how potentially this could put us at a serious disadvantage. Which I'm sure is true to some extent.

But isn't it also true that the Giants players have also had some disruption in their life from this storm? The aftermath of that storm is evident in every waking moment they spend away from the football complex. So even assuming they all have electricity in their homes, and gas in their cars, being around that situation in and of itself is a disruption. This is the message I think Mike Tomlin and staff will drive home to the team. So this isn't a valid excuse to not perform.

All that said though this game should have been moved to Pittsburgh strictly from the standpoint of game logistics. That area really doesn't need to draw away resources from every day life until things have had mofre of a chance to normalize.

The fact of the matter is they moved a Saints game to New York because of Katrina. Granted in that case the stadium was decimated, and in this case the Giants Sports complex was left intact. But still that area has too many concerns at the moment than to be hosting major sporting events.

zulater
11-02-2012, 08:16 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/big_blue_say_they_ll_still_be_good_XgeGNejr8c0WdZh bvY1UTL

86WARD
11-02-2012, 06:26 PM
The fact of the matter is they moved a Saints game to New York because of Katrina. Granted in that case the stadium was decimated, and in this case the Giants Sports complex was left intact. But still that area has too many concerns at the moment than to be hosting major sporting events.

Players have traveled day if game before, but I tend to agree that this is a disruption and agree 100% that the area shouldn't be hosting a football game. I heard one report that Philadelphia could've been a spot to host the game. Not sure if Pittsburgh would have been a fair alternative for the Giants, but Philadelphia would not have been bad for either team.

stillers4me
11-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Yeah right. And we can't play well in the air in Denver, either.

Oh............ :heh:

jb500ex
11-03-2012, 02:24 PM
I was listening to them talking about this last night on the radio. And they were saying how players are so used to routine, and how potentially this could put us at a serious disadvantage. Which I'm sure is true to some extent.

But isn't it also true that the Giants players have also had some disruption in their life from this storm? The aftermath of that storm is evident in every waking moment they spend away from the football complex. So even assuming they all have electricity in their homes, and gas in their cars, being around that situation in and of itself is a disruption. This is the message I think Mike Tomlin and staff will drive home to the team. So this isn't a valid excuse to not perform.

All that said though this game should have been moved to Pittsburgh strictly from the standpoint of game logistics. That area really doesn't need to draw away resources from every day life until things have had mofre of a chance to normalize.

the area the stadium is in is just fine. some power outages but thats the biggest thing. everyone in the area cant wait for the game to have something to do

stillers4me
11-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Boss Steeler Chick (http://www.facebook.com/SteelerChick?ref=stream)
ESPN reports that the Steelers' hotel in NY did regain power this week, but the team decided to fly in today anyway so they wouldn't take away hotel rooms from evacuees. ♥

stillers4me
11-04-2012, 11:44 AM
League worked with government officials on Giants/Steelers approach

In the wake of Hurricane Sandy ravaging large portions of New York and New Jersey, among other locales on the east coast, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell spoke directly to New Jersey governor Chris Christie to assess whether Sunday's 4:25 ET kickoff between the Giants (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/nfl/teams/page/NYG/new-york-giants) and Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/nfl/teams/page/PIT/pittsburgh-steelers) at The Meadowlands would in any way impede cleanup efforts.
On Monday, the NFL received assurances that MetLife Stadium was not damaged in the storm. At that point, the league announced it was preparing to play the game unless advised otherwise by local authorities, none of whom subsequently suggested or urged the league to cancel or postpone the game, according to sources. Goodell and Christie spoke on Thursday, with the NFL expressing it did not want to do anything to divert resources from relief efforts (the New York City Marathon was canceled Friday for such reasons), and Christie assured the league he was comfortable with the game being played. Christie also expressed appreciation for the efforts the NFL was making to aid the cause, including a $1 million donation made in concert with the NFLPA, the gestures of individual teams and owners, and the considerable broadcast time being allocated this weekend to solicit donations to assist the efforts of the the Red Cross.
The Steelers also made it clear to the league that they did not want to in any way detract from the massive ongoing effort to repair homes, businesses and infrastructure in the New York area. The original hotel the Steelers were set to stay in Saturday night, in Jersey City, was still unable to accommodate them late in the week, when the Rooney family made the determination (with league approval) to fly to New Jersey on Sunday morning. The Steelers were informed before the weekend that two options for accommodations were open to them for the game, but the Rooneys felt those rooms could best be used to house and assist others as part of the relief effort, and opted to stick with the Sunday travel plan. Instead, the team convened at a Pittsburgh hotel on Saturday night, as they normally would for a home game, and following breakfast there Sunday were busing to the airport for a short flight scheduled to depart around 9 a.m.
While day-of-game travel is highly unusual in the NFL, it is not unprecedented. In 2005, the threat of Hurricane Wilma in South Florida resulted in the Chiefs flying into Miami to play a game that was moved from Sunday to Friday night, with Kansas City flying in before the game and out late that night. The visiting Chiefs won, 30-20, despite the tight travel window.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/20820739