PDA

View Full Version : 7 random thoughts after 7 games.

zulater
11-01-2012, 09:42 AM
1. Keenan Lewis is the most improved player on the Steelers. Not only since last season, but since September. He's becoming a solid number 2 corner.

2. Don't draft defensive ends in the first round for the 3-4 defense. Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward sho flashes from time to time. But neither is what you'd call a solid starter quite yet. But on reflection I don't think it's them as much as the system. Look at our last two high quality DE's. It took Aaron Smith at least 3 seasons before you started to take notice of him. And Brett Keisel even longer than that. The thing with those guys was they weren't burdened with the expectations of an early draft choice ( 4th and 6th roud respectively), so they were allowed to develop over time without harsh scrutiny or critiscism from the fans. Before that we got Kemo Van O as a solid NFL veteran. So be patient with these guys. And also stop drafting DE's so early Kevin Colbert.

3. Willie Colon is the most improved player on the offensive side of the ball since the season began. The penalties seem to be subsiding ( knock wood) and he's carving out nice holes for the running game. Still giving up too many sacks, but he's coming along good, and it looks like the move to guard was a winner.

4. LeBeau has done a great job the last few games. I'd even say he did ok against the Titans. ( game was lost on special teams and poor execution across the board) In all honestly given the talent ( or lack thereof) I would even say he's overachieving. Harrison is struggling. Same with Woodley. Troy is out. Hampton is way past his prime. Keisel's play has been spotty. Foote tries hard but is undersized and gets pushed around quite often. Putting Will Allen in over Mundy has been a huge upgrade. But still other than Timmons, Lewis and Clark, who on this defense is playing at a consistently high level? Yet they're making key stops lately.

Though it has helped that Taylor has got his head out of his ass the last couple games.

5. If the run game can become more consistent the long ball will return to the offense. You can see it coming. Every week the Steelers prove to the league they can run the ball the more dangerous Ben will become with the play action pass. It's coming. Expect to see some big downfield throws in the weeks ahead.

6. Heath Miller and Maurkice Pouncey are as good as there is at their positions in the league. Miller's overall value to the Steelers makes him more valuable to his team than any other tight end. And Pouncey when healthy is just in another league than any other center.

7. If the Steelers can go 3-2 or better in their next 5 games ( assuming no worse than a split with the Ravens) and suffer no critical injuries down the stretch they'll be playing in the AFC title game.

Just hope that if we advance that far we don't end up having to play in Denver.

86WARD
11-01-2012, 10:08 AM
I agree with almost all of that except for them playing in the title game. I just can't see it yet. This week will be a big test for the defense that has been playing well. But let's be honest, it hasn't been against the cream of the crop in the NFL.

Heath Miller has always been a stud. Just has never been utilized the way he is now...I'm loving it!! I think Jonathan Dwyer fits in somewhere on that list.

Good observations!

polamalubeast
11-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Shaun Suisham is for me the biggest surprise of the steelers

- - - Updated - - -

The Steelers could be like the giants in 2011

A very average season, but be hot at the right time!

Pristas
11-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Shaun Suisham is for me the biggest surprise of the steelers

- - - Updated - - -

The Steelers could be like the giants in 2011

A very average season, but be hot at the right time!

I like this.

zulater
11-01-2012, 06:39 PM
I agree with almost all of that except for them playing in the title game. I just can't see it yet. This week will be a big test for the defense that has been playing well. But let's be honest, it hasn't been against the cream of the crop in the NFL.

Heath Miller has always been a stud. Just has never been utilized the way he is now...I'm loving it!! I think Jonathan Dwyer fits in somewhere on that list.

Good observations!

That's why I prefaced it with "if the Steelers go 3-2 or better in the next 5 games." Keeping in mind that the Steelers play @ the Giants, the Ravens twice and at Cleveland in that block of games. Don't take that win in Clevleand for granted this year. We've already lost to worse teams than them. Anyway if we can come out of that portion of the season at 7-5 or better the schedule starts to slant more in our favor. Particuarly in the way of home games. With 3 of our last 4 games in Pittsburgh.

Seven
11-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Great observations!

1. Keenan Lewis is the most improved player on the Steelers. Not only since last season, but since September. He's becoming a solid number 2 corner.

I've been thinking this for about three weeks. I've been so impressed with the improvement out of Lewis from earlier in the season - he's almost like an entirely new player. I feel like his strides towards becoming a better player alone have made this defense much stronger than it was just a few weeks ago.

2. Don't draft defensive ends in the first round for the 3-4 defense. Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward sho flashes from time to time. But neither is what you'd call a solid starter quite yet. But on reflection I don't think it's them as much as the system. Look at our last two high quality DE's. It took Aaron Smith at least 3 seasons before you started to take notice of him. And Brett Keisel even longer than that. The thing with those guys was they weren't burdened with the expectations of an early draft choice ( 4th and 6th roud respectively), so they were allowed to develop over time without harsh scrutiny or critiscism from the fans. Before that we got Kemo Van O as a solid NFL veteran. So be patient with these guys. And also stop drafting DE's so early Kevin Colbert.

I think this is a good point, but when I watch Heyward I see a player who is going to be dominant in a couple of seasons. I think that was a great selection. Hood on the other hand, probably not as much. I don't think he is the "bust" that I've heard others label him as at all, but for what we're getting out of him I think we could have found the same value elsewhere giving up much less than a first round pick. But, as you say, be patient with them. I'm not worried about either player in the long term.

3. Willie Colon is the most improved player on the offensive side of the ball since the season began. The penalties seem to be subsiding ( knock wood) and he's carving out nice holes for the running game. Still giving up too many sacks, but he's coming along good, and it looks like the move to guard was a winner.

It only took three seasons of us fans screaming for him to move to guard before the team listened haha. And it's paying dividends for sure.

4. LeBeau has done a great job the last few games. I'd even say he did ok against the Titans. ( game was lost on special teams and poor execution across the board) In all honestly given the talent ( or lack thereof) I would even say he's overachieving. Harrison is struggling. Same with Woodley. Troy is out. Hampton is way past his prime. Keisel's play has been spotty. Foote tries hard but is undersized and gets pushed around quite often. Putting Will Allen in over Mundy has been a huge upgrade. But still other than Timmons, Lewis and Clark, who on this defense is playing at a consistently high level? Yet they're making key stops lately.

I think that has been the biggest 'win' the coaching staff has achieved this season. It has made a tremendous difference.

5. If the run game can become more consistent the long ball will return to the offense. You can see it coming. Every week the Steelers prove to the league they can run the ball the more dangerous Ben will become with the play action pass. It's coming. Expect to see some big downfield throws in the weeks ahead.

This one I have to totally disagree with. Todd Haley isn't a fan of taking shots down the field. He had a pretty good trio of guys who could push downfield last year in Bowe, Baldwin and Breaston but rarely pulled the trigger on a big play call. In fairness, that could be due to the fact that his quarterback was Matt Cassel. But from what I recall of his offense in Arizona he didn't go deep there by design very often either beyond a couple jumpers to Fitzgerald per game. He's big into the controlled passing, as I'm sure is very obvious by now. I hope I'm wrong about this. Maybe with Ben he changes his tendencies. But I really don't expect to see more than two or three attempts downfield per game at any point with Haley at the helm.

6. Heath Miller and Maurkice Pouncey are as good as there is at their positions in the league. Miller's overall value to the Steelers makes him more valuable to his team than any other tight end. And Pouncey when healthy is just in another league than any other center.

Next to Ben these guys are the centerpieces of the offense at this point.

steelreserve
11-02-2012, 12:11 AM
Just hope that if we advance that far we don't end up having to play in Denver.

What do you mean hope we don't play in Denver. Of course we'll have to play in Denver. If we had homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, the stadium would collapse and they'd relocate the game to Denver. Even if we were playing the Patriots. ESPECIALLY if we were playing the Patriots. Watch - we'll play Denver on the road again next year too, probably twice somehow.

43Hitman
11-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Heath Miller has been a stud his whole career. Heck if anyone deserves a new 11 million dollar contract on that offense, its him.