PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben once wanted to out-do Eli , now wants to build legacy of 2004 draft class

polamalubeast
10-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Ben Roethlisberger admitted that early in his NFL career, he wanted to out-do Eli Manning, who was drafted 10 slots before the Steelers selected Roethlisberger in 2004.

"Early for on me, it was more wanting to do better than him," Roethlisberger said on a conference call today. "I don’t want to say animosity, but he was the No. 1 pick, and I think as a guy that’s not picked No. 1, anytime someone is picked ahead of you, you want to beat that guy out."

That's changed over time. Each quarterback is in his ninth professional season and has two Super Bowl rings to his name. Roethlisberger said he's "100 percent" followed his Giants counterpart, and he's even taken some enjoyment in Manning's achievements.

"As I've gotten older, it’s more neat to see his success, to see him getting two Super Bowls, because I think it just adds to the legacy of our draft class," Roethlisberger continued. "And all four quarterbacks -- Matt Schaub, Philip (Rivers), myself and Eli -- that were drafted there. I hope we can play well enough that one day they talk about us as maybe the best quarterback draft class of all time."

Rivers was drafted No. 4 overall, part of the swap that sent Manning to the Giants and Rivers to the Chargers. Schaub, now the Texans starter, was drafted in the third round by the Falcons. J.P. Losman was also part of that draft class, selected No. 22 overall by the Bills. He's now out of the league.

"I think you always kind of take pride in your draft class and guys who have done well, so you look at Ben and see two championships, played in three Super Bowls, been to some Pro Bowls," Manning said. "So I think you’re proud when your other guys in your draft have done well and had success, but besides the fact of playing in three Super Bowls; that’s probably the only stat that I know that he has. "

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/10/ben_roethlisberger_once_wanted.html

polamalubeast
10-31-2012, 07:33 PM
Ben vs. Eli: A rivarly born on draft day eight years ago

PITTSBURGH – Ben Roethlisberger knows enough about NFL history to appreciate the significance of the 1983 draft. That’s the class that launched the pro careers of John Elway, Jim Kelly and Dan Marino.

Roethlisberger will even acknowledge that the draft of ’83 remains the gold standard when it comes to quarterbacks. But in time, says the Steelers’ star quarterback, the draft class of 2004 may prove to be even better.

That’s the class that includes Roethlisberger and Eli Manning of the New York Giants.

“You gotta put (the class of ’83) at the top. That’s the one I’d put up there,” Roethlisberger said. “But ours has more championships than theirs.”

In 1983, six quarterbacks were selected in the first round: Elway (1st overall), Todd Blackledge (7th), Kelly (14th), Tony Eason (15th), Ken O’Brien (24th) and Marino (27th).

Elway, Kelly and Marino went on to have prolific careers. All three are already enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. But of those six quarterbacks taken in the first round of the ’83 draft, Elway is the only to win a Super Bowl. He own two rings.

That's the same number of championships for Roethlisberger and Manning, the gems of the QB class in '04.

“You always take pride in your draft class and guys who have done well,” Manning said. “So you look at Ben and see two championships, played in three Super Bowls, been to some Pro Bowls. So you’re proud when other guys in your draft have done well and had success.”

Eli Manning, the son of former NFL quarterback Archie Manning and the younger brother of Denver’s Peyton Manning, was chosen with the No. 1 overall pick of the ’04 draft by San Diego. He became a Giant in a trade that sent Philip Rivers, No. 4 overall, to the Chargers.

While Rivers has been to four Pro Bowls, he has yet to play in a Super Bowl. Another successful QB taken in the ’04 draft is Houston’s Matt Schaub, who was picked in the third round by Atlanta and then traded to the Texans in '07. Schaub, who’s played in one Pro Bowl, hopes to make it the Super Bowl this year. At 6-1 the Texans have the AFC’s best record right now.

Meanwhile, Roethlisberger and Manning have lived up to their pedigree as high first-round draft choices. They are truly franchise quarterbacks. They own most of their team’s passing records. They have each been selected to the Pro Bowl twice. And they have what matters most: two wins apiece in the Super Bowl.

Only 11 quarterbacks have multiple Super Bowl wins. Roethlisberger and Eli Manning are two of them.

read more

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/ben-vs-eli-a-rivarly-born-on-draft-day-eight/article_7c4fae07-7c66-5c72-aa6f-c3d6ee988095.html

Count Steeler
10-31-2012, 07:39 PM
Get out there and kick his ass! You worry about your legacy when you are retired. Take him out for a beer, after you are both retired, and celebrate the fact that in 2012 you were tied with 2 SB each. Unfortunately, though, Ben ended up with 5 and Eli stayed stuck on 2.

GBMelBlount
10-31-2012, 07:43 PM
A competitive athlete should normally be more concerned about bettering his competitors than their combined legacy imho.

A little too much kumbaya for me. LOL.

Edman
10-31-2012, 09:12 PM
Ben trying to be PC. He knows what's at stake.

Craic
11-01-2012, 11:00 AM
A competitive athlete should normally be more concerned about bettering his competitors than their combined legacy imho.

A little too much kumbaya for me. LOL.

Naa, for me it's just another sign that he's grown up. He no longer needs to compare himself with others and instead, can celebrate other's accomplishments as well. It's a great thing having a mature QB.

SMR
11-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Naa, for me it's just another sign that he's grown up. He no longer needs to compare himself with others and instead, can celebrate other's accomplishments as well. It's a great thing having a mature QB.

I concur!

tube517
11-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Just win, Ben. You can have a beer (not in a college town) w/Eli and laugh at marsha all day in the off season.

GBMelBlount
11-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Count Steeler
Get out there and kick his ass! You worry about your legacy when you are retired. Take him out for a beer, after you are both retired, and celebrate the fact that in 2012 you were tied with 2 SB each. Unfortunately, though, Ben ended up with 5 and Eli stayed stuck on 2.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with acknowledging your competitor's accomplishments but a true competitor always has the desire to kick ass and be number one imo.

As Edman said, I just hope it is Ben being PC.