PDA

View Full Version : Ben vs Eli.

zulater
10-30-2012, 04:05 PM
This game is a referendum to Ben. Eli has been annointed by the press as the best qb of his draft class even though Ben's won as many Super Bowls and has gone to 1 more. Eli has won SB MVP award after playing a mediocre game and having his ass saved by a dropped interception and a miracle on the helmet catch. Meanwhile Ben gets stiffed from the award despite masterminding the best game winning drive in SB history. One that didn't require a db dropping a pass right in his breadbasket.

Career wise, statistically Ben is a more effecient passer, but Eli has passed for more yardage.

This game matters to Ben like no other. You can bet if his protection holds up he's going to torch that suspect Giant secondary. That's why I'm calling for a Steelers outright win. 31-26.

salamander
10-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Well, the Steelers do tend to play better against better teams so let's hope you're right!

siss
10-30-2012, 05:18 PM
For the record I pick Ben!

Count Steeler
10-30-2012, 05:24 PM
For the record I pick Ben!

Well, there's a shock! :chuckle:

So do I.

Psycho Ward 86
10-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Well, the Steelers do tend to play better against better teams so let's hope you're right!

lol, highly debatable.

And personally, i dont think anyone should be confident that Ben's going to slaughter this giants pass defense just because they rank "26th." The giants are tied for 7th in sacks with 21, tied for 8th in forced fumbles with 8, 2nd in recovered fumbles with 8, and tied for 1st in interceptions with 16. The last two REALLY stand out and pretty much tell you that if we put the ball on the ground or leave it hanging in there, shit WILL hit the fan. Im thinking rough day for Ben with lots of passing yardage but the most turnovers he'll have all season.

polamalubeast
10-30-2012, 05:30 PM
comparaisons

W/L in regular season:84-36 for Ben....75-52 for Eli
super bowl apparence:3 for Ben,2 for Eli
super bowl win:2 for Ben,2 for Eli
W/L in the playoffs:10-4 for Ben,8-3 for Eli
W/L on the road in the playoffs:3-1 for Ben,5-1 for Eli
QB rating:92 for Ben,83 for Eli
QB rating in playoffs:85 for Ben,88 for Eli
4 quarter comeback:23 for Ben,24 for Eli

Both will be in the HOF

- - - Updated - - -

lol, highly debatable.

And personally, i dont think anyone should be confident that Ben's going to slaughter this giants pass defense just because they rank "26th." The giants are tied for 7th in sacks with 21, tied for 8th in forced fumbles with 8, 2nd in recovered fumbles with 8, and tied for 1st in interceptions with 16. The last two REALLY stand out and pretty much tell you that if we put the ball on the ground or leave it hanging in there, shit WILL hit the fan. Im thinking rough day for Ben with lots of passing yardage but the most turnovers he'll have all season.

If the steelers avoid turnovers, the Steelers offense will surely have a good day

The steelers offense protects the ball very well this year

Psycho Ward 86
10-30-2012, 05:37 PM
comparaisons

W/L in regular season:84-36 for Ben....75-52 for Eli
super bowl apparence:3 for Ben,2 for Eli
super bowl win:2 for Ben,2 for Eli
W/L in the playoffs:10-4 for Ben,8-3 for Eli
W/L on the road in the playoffs:3-1 for Ben,5-1 for Eli
QB rating:92 for Ben,83 for Eli
QB rating in playoffs:85 for Ben,88 for Eli
4 quarter comeback:23 for Ben,24 for Eli

Both will be in the HOF

- - - Updated - - -

If the steelers avoid turnovers, the Steelers offense will surely have a good day

The steelers offense protects the ball very well this year

thats a pretty big if. We've been protecting the ball for the most part, but how many times have we taken it away? We only have a +1 turnover ratio. The giants are +13, and im pretty sure that might be tops. they've created 24 turnovers, #1 in the league, now thats a telling statistic. They even got San Fran to cough up the ball, which never happens. Chalk it up as a loss if we dont get turnovers.

polamalubeast
10-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Protect the ball will be a challenge against the giants, but it is not an impossible challenge

The eagles have not made a turnover in week 4 against the giants!!

steelpride12
10-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Gotta protect Ben to win this, we all know he and the receivers are capable of torching the Giants secondary, but there front 4 are menacing and will tear up the OL. I think if Haley and the offense stick to the quick passing game Ben will once again dominate on the offensive side of the ball

Most important though is our defense, they must play their best game of the season to hold Eli under 20 points.

zulater
10-30-2012, 06:03 PM
lol, highly debatable.

In the last 6 quarters plus 5 minutes the Steelers are playing their best football for the season to date. The running game is working, which should set up play action passing this game. Ben is getting the ball out in under 3 seconds on most passing plays, which will negate the Giants pass rush.

The Steelers come into this game playing good football. The Steelers at their best offensively can put up points against anyone. It's all a matter of how the defense can stand up to the Giants defense. And who knows, maybe this will be the game that Antonio Brown will take a kick to the house and it wont be called back?

Anyway I stand by my prediction. The Steelers will win a close one. Mainly because Ben wants this one so bad it hurts. And when Ben is playing pissed and with a chip on his shoulder, he's one bad mofo. Eli will blink before Ben in this one. Steelers win 31-26.

HollywoodSteel
10-30-2012, 06:08 PM
It's hard to compare the 2 by just wins and losses. To be fair, Ben inherited a better team than Eli but I certainly think Ben was straight up better than him for many years. Now Eli is elite as well and both are clutch. I still take Ben because of his magic when the play breaks down, but Eli has proven himself to be no slouch in that department either.

zulater
10-30-2012, 06:11 PM
The fact that Vegas has this game at only 3 points should tell you something. They're obviously trying to slant the money towards the Giants which means they think the Steelers will win this one.

Count Steeler
10-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Would be nice if we finally get some turnovers. Keenan Lewis is due for one. Even Cortez Allen may surprise.

HollywoodSteel
10-30-2012, 06:18 PM
The fact that Vegas has this game at only 3 points should tell you something. They're obviously trying to slant the money towards the Giants which means they think the Steelers will win this one.

That seems like a stretch to me. Vegas sets the line as accurately as possible to get around equal money both ways. If they really thought the Steelers will win and wanted people to heavily bet the Giants, why not make the line a pick 'em?

zulater
10-30-2012, 06:28 PM
That seems like a stretch to me. Vegas sets the line as accurately as possible to get around equal money both ways. If they really thought the Steelers will win and wanted people to heavily bet the Giants, why not make the line a pick 'em?

Two weeks ago the Giants at the Meadowlands against the Steelers would have resulted in a 6 1/2 to 7 point line. 3 points is generally rewarded to the home team, so in betting parlance Vegas is in fact saying this is a pick-em game. Which in my opnion will influence non "wise guy" money heavily in the Giants favor. Which in turn means the books are expecting a heavy last minute onslaught of "smart money" leaning the Steelers way.

I don't know much, but I know how Vegas sports books work. And that line tells me they're protecting themselves against a late heavy lean in the Steelers favor. .

zulater
10-30-2012, 06:48 PM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/10/30/3575528/eli-manning-ben-roethlisberger-2004-nfl-draft-steelers-giants-week-9

Seven
10-31-2012, 01:05 AM
Eli has been annointed by the press as the best qb of his draft class

I have to disagree. I don't get to watch or listen to as much coverage as I used to, but from what I've heard from the national media I tend to think generally Ben is perceived as the better player. I specifically remember a situation a few months ago where Phil Simms declared Eli a hall of famer (which I agree with, for what it is worth) and most "experts" at ESPN and NFL Network disagreed with him, with the exception of Colin Cowherd. But when Rivers and Ben were brought up as an extension of the conversation, the same "experts" - almost to a man - said Ben is a no doubt hall of fame quarterback. Granted, this is just one example from a few months ago, and I don't think Ben gets the credit he deserves nationally. But as far as he vs. Eli, I can't really say I see too much in the favor of Eli as far as the national conversation goes. If anything I think there are actually many more media types here in Pittsburgh believe it or not who claim Eli is a more successful player than Ben.

zulater
10-31-2012, 05:54 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8281b796/article/quarterback-rankings-eli-manning-tops-list-heading-into-2012

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2012/10/26/nfl-starting-quarterback-power-rankings/#slide_33

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8449388/nfl-jaws-qb-rankings-robert-griffin-iii-soars-mark-sanchez-scuffles

Here's three articles rating NFL qb's going into the 2012 season. No cherry picking involved, these were the first 3 I came across, and all have Eli rated higher than Ben. And no, none of these are about fantasy football.

steel striker
10-31-2012, 02:14 PM
To me Ben is the better QB and, the last few years Eli has had the better O-Line. Eli has got it done beating the cheats twice in super bowls. Still Ben had one of the greatest winning super bowl drives in NFL history like it has been mentioned. Plus as we all know when the play breaks down no one is better than Big Ben extending the play. Look what Ben has down this year with the short passing game. His number have never been better.

jb500ex
10-31-2012, 06:50 PM
eli has been better the last few years ben started out better. ben was clutch in the beginning of his career and hasnt been the last 3 years eli has been the clutchest qb in the game. thats why you see people picking eli and theyre not wrong

- - - Updated - - -

To me Ben is the better QB and, the last few years Eli has had the better O-Line. Eli has got it done beating the cheats twice in super bowls. Still Ben had one of the greatest winning super bowl drives in NFL history like it has been mentioned. Plus as we all know when the play breaks down no one is better than Big Ben extending the play. Look what Ben has down this year with the short passing game. His number have never been better.

eli had 2 of the greatest superbowl winning drives so its hard to use that over him when arguing ben

zulater
10-31-2012, 07:09 PM
eli has been better the last few years ben started out better. ben was clutch in the beginning of his career and hasnt been the last 3 years eli has been the clutchest qb in the game. thats why you see people picking eli and theyre not wrong

- - - Updated - - -

eli had 2 of the greatest superbowl winning drives so its hard to use that over him when arguing ben

His first game winning Super Bowl drive was probably the luckiest scoring drive in Super Bowl history. From the Assante Samuel drop of a pass thrown perfectly to his midsection, to the on the helmet grab by a flash in the pan wr, Eli was more lucky than good.

Also the 9 wins the Giants put up last year wouldn't have even made the playoffs in the AFC. In fact when you bring up the last 3 years, Eli missed the playoffs in 09, and 10, and as pointed out before was damn lucky to squeek in with a 9 win season last year.

No one's saying Eli isn't an elite quarterback now. But up until last years playoffs that argument couldn't be made.

Ben on the other hand has been elite from season 1, and other than an injury plagued 2006 season has sustained a high level of play throughout his career.

polamalubeast
10-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Also the 9 wins the Giants put up last year wouldn't have even made the playoffs in the AFC. In fact when you bring up the last 3 years, Eli missed the playoffs in 09, and 10, and as pointed out before was damn lucky to squeek in with a 9 win season last year.

At the same time, the Giants had missed the playoffs with a record of 10-6 in 2010 and in 2009, it was not Eli's fault if the Giants were 8-8

Each year, the Giants have one of the most difficult schedule in the NFL

zulater
10-31-2012, 07:30 PM
At the same time, the Giants had missed the playoffs with a record of 10-6 in 2010 and in 2009, it was not Eli's fault if the Giants were 8-8

Each year, the Giants have one of the most difficult schedule in the NFL

An NFL schedule is an NFL schedule. If you didn't learn that in 2008 when the Steelers advanced to SB XLIII despite having the NFL's toughest schedule that year, then you'll never figure it out.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RoetBe00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannEl00.htm

Here's their respective career numbers. Ben has an edge across the board in every significant measure used to measure passing effeciency. Ben even throws for more yards per game career wise, despite less attempts.

So if you want to annoint Eli greater than Ben go for it. But career wise there's not a number to support your theory, so I wont be signing on to it.

polamalubeast
10-31-2012, 07:38 PM
I did not say that Eli had a better career than Ben!

Ben is better, but I am very impressed by the two super bowl run of the giants(beat two team of 13-3 in 2007 and 2011,and beat a team of 15-1 last year,and 16-0 in 2007)

Seven
10-31-2012, 10:30 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8281b796/article/quarterback-rankings-eli-manning-tops-list-heading-into-2012

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2012/10/26/nfl-starting-quarterback-power-rankings/#slide_33

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8449388/nfl-jaws-qb-rankings-robert-griffin-iii-soars-mark-sanchez-scuffles

Here's three articles rating NFL qb's going into the 2012 season. No cherry picking involved, these were the first 3 I came across, and all have Eli rated higher than Ben. And no, none of these are about fantasy football.

Perhaps I'm just not as familiar with the media as you are. Maybe Eli is perceived to be the better player, but I guess I don't really care one way or another haha. When all is said and done I'm pretty confident Roethlisberger will have more titles, wins and consistency across the board.

Count Steeler
11-01-2012, 04:53 AM

Not surprising, really. Eli is defending SB champion, and, right now, Ben is yesterday's news, as well as having the blemish of the 4 game suspension. Ben is still owed an apology from the Commish on that one. I don't think Ben is ever going to be a media darling.

Lou Donny
11-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Not surprising, really. Eli is defending SB champion, and, right now, Ben is yesterday's news, as well as having the blemish of the 4 game suspension. Ben is still owed an apology from the Commish on that one. I don't think Ben is ever going to be a media darling.

I 100% percent agree with you.

But, the only way anything like that would ever.........when Ben looks that crooked Commish in the eye, just before he hands Ben a Lombardi Trophy.

zulater
11-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Let the debate begin: Eli or Big Ben

By Jamison Hensley

When the Steelers play the Giants on Sunday, there will be something swirling at New York's MetLife Stadium that has nothing to do with a superstorm. It's the long-running debate over whether Ben Roethlisberger or Eli Manning is the best quarterback from the 2004 draft.

Roethlisberger and Manning are known for winning Super Bowls (they've combined to win four of the eight played since they entered the league). They're known for making big plays in big moments. They're known for being tough, albeit in different ways. And they have been forever linked since the day they were drafted in the first round eight years ago. Manning was selected first overall, and Roethlisberger was taken at No. 11. The margin between them is much, much closer now.

read more... http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/57999/let-the-debate-begin-eli-or-big-ben

Great article by Hensley! :applaudit: Worth clicking the link and taking the time to read.

zulater
11-01-2012, 07:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=sportsnation&pollId=3286879

ESPN poll has Ben with a 10 point lead over Eli for best overall qb.

jb500ex
11-03-2012, 02:32 PM
An NFL schedule is an NFL schedule. If you didn't learn that in 2008 when the Steelers advanced to SB XLIII despite having the NFL's toughest schedule that year, then you'll never figure it out.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RoetBe00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannEl00.htm

Here's their respective career numbers. Ben has an edge across the board in every significant measure used to measure passing effeciency. Ben even throws for more yards per game career wise, despite less attempts.

So if you want to annoint Eli greater than Ben go for it. But career wise there's not a number to support your theory, so I wont be signing on to it.
yeah thats nice but whos been better the last 4 years? eli and its not close. ben has also been bad in the playoffs since 08, horrible even. eli is trending up ben has been good this year but is no where near as clutch as he was early in his career. at this moment eli is better and its not close. lets also add last year eli had the worst running game in football a horrible oline and a bad defense. he flat out carried the team and won a super bowl

CPanther95
11-03-2012, 03:04 PM

If that's not cherry-picking, then your luck absolutely sucks. 2 of the 3 have Eli as the best QB in the league. LOL

Did you google: "Eli Manning best QB in NFL" "rankings" "morons" "new york" ?

zulater
11-03-2012, 07:31 PM
yeah thats nice but whos been better the last 4 years? eli and its not close. ben has also been bad in the playoffs since 08, horrible even. eli is trending up ben has been good this year but is no where near as clutch as he was early in his career. at this moment eli is better and its not close. lets also add last year eli had the worst running game in football a horrible oline and a bad defense. he flat out carried the team and won a super bowl

Ok Homer. Whatever you say. No extenuating circumstances. All Steelers failures were Ben's doing, and all Giants success is strictly about Eli.

http://mlblogsdanhoard.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/homer_mascot20resize.jpg?w=409&h=550

I guess I imagined the Steelers in the Super Bowl only one season before?

:coffee:

zulater
11-05-2012, 06:25 AM

Speaking of horrible. How 'bout that Eli yesterday? :chuckle:

X-Terminator
11-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Speaking of horrible. How 'bout that Eli yesterday? :chuckle:

Don't know what it is with that guy...sheesh! :doh: We're talking about a guy who just 2 years ago threw 25 INT for crying out loud! Ben has had a 100.5 (2009) and 97.4 (2010) in those past 4 years; Eli has never had a rating higher than 93.1 in his CAREER, much less in the past 4 years. Yeah, Eli was clutch in the playoffs...LAST YEAR. Before that, his only other playoff appearance in that time span - 2008 - he was awful. So one clutch run by Eli makes him a better overall QB than Ben? Not a chance, and the numbers also bear it out.

fansince'76
11-05-2012, 08:51 AM

Cool story, bro.

BnG_Hevn
11-05-2012, 11:54 AM
I don't think it is good to compare Ben vs Eli and say "Ben did better early on b/c Eli's oline was not good" and then go on to say that Eli is better now.

The only real way, IMO, to compare the two is to swap teams. Put Ben on the Giant's team and vice-versa and see how they perform.

ALLD
11-05-2012, 03:33 PM
I don't think it is good to compare Ben vs Eli and say "Ben did better early on b/c Eli's oline was not good" and then go on to say that Eli is better now.

The only real way, IMO, to compare the two is to swap teams. Put Ben on the Giant's team and vice-versa and see how they perform.

I am sure that would only be going one way. No way I would take Eli over Ben. Eli is like the best of the average QBs who made a reputation with 2 completions in two different Super Bowls. The rest of his career has been average.

zulater
10-09-2013, 07:04 PM

Eli sure is Mr Clutch!
:sofunny:

You have 63 posts on this board, never once have you posted anything even remotely positive about the Steelers. Quit pretending you're a Steelers fan. Admit who your team is and maybe then someone will take one of your posts seriously. But until you come out from under your sheepskin, you're nothing but a troll.

Craic
10-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Holy Necro, batman!

tube517
10-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Holy Necro, batman!

:rofl2:

fansince'76
10-09-2013, 08:14 PM
http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/attachments/world-affairs-board-pub/17201d1258434900-necropost-warning-necrokitten.jpg

:chuckle:

zulater
10-09-2013, 08:31 PM
The only reason I resuscitated this thread is because I went to JB troll's forum posts after he had made another derogatory post about Jarvis Jones

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/search.php?searchid=56591

to see if his claiming the Steelers as his team, as he has done in many of posts with the inclusive "we" is a load of shit. And this was his earliest post in the forum and I couldn't resist a bump once I saw his post in this thread.

jb500ex
10-09-2013, 10:30 PM
- - - Updated - - -

The only reason I resuscitated this thread is because I went to JB troll's forum posts after he had made another derogatory post about Jarvis Jones

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/search.php?searchid=56591

to see if his claiming the Steelers as his team, as he has done in many of posts with the inclusive "we" is a load of shit. And this was his earliest post in the forum and I couldn't resist a bump once I saw his post in this thread.
Yeah jones sucks if you can't see it you need some glasses. Would you like to make a wager on what team I root for tough guy

Hawkman
10-09-2013, 11:05 PM
- - - Updated - - -

Yeah jones sucks if you can't see it you need some glasses. Would you like to make a wager on what team I root for tough guy

Probably the Pats.

zulater
10-09-2013, 11:07 PM
- - - Updated - - -

It's not the Steelers. That's really all that we need to know to determine you're a lying troll.

Texasteel
10-09-2013, 11:20 PM
This has gone far enough guys. Please keep the personal comments out of the discussions.

zulater
10-09-2013, 11:24 PM
This has gone far enough guys. Please keep the personal comments out of the discussions.

Nothing personal, just laying out the facts. He's got 64 posts on this board. Read them. Then tell me he's a Steeler's fan. We've got plenty of great posters who aren't Steelers fans that I'll gladly discuss anything at all with cordially. But when someone misrepresents themselves, that's trolling and they deserve 0 respect for their opinion's or posts.

Craic
10-10-2013, 01:03 AM
I should have actually gone with this:

http://forum.gamerage.com/pangya/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/10/6332.387e003f_5F00_HolyNecroPost_5F00_759032.jpeg

Psycho Ward 86
10-10-2013, 01:55 AM
It's not the Steelers. That's really all that we need to know to determine you're a lying troll.

"oh look i found a troll. lets feed him."

86WARD
10-10-2013, 12:36 PM
I've RARELY heard anyone in the media call Eli a Top-5 QB in the NFL. Ben is consistently in that conversation.

Bluecoat96
10-10-2013, 01:08 PM
http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/attachments/world-affairs-board-pub/17201d1258434900-necropost-warning-necrokitten.jpg

:chuckle:
LOL

Maybe jb500ex is secretly Jamison Hensley.

jb500ex
10-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Nothing personal, just laying out the facts. He's got 64 posts on this board. Read them. Then tell me he's a Steeler's fan. We've got plenty of great posters who aren't Steelers fans that I'll gladly discuss anything at all with cordially. But when someone misrepresents themselves, that's trolling and they deserve 0 respect for their opinion's or posts.

Oh little man Like I said let's throw down some real money. We're now going to see who the fraud is, Balls in your court. Oh and jones sucks

zulater
10-10-2013, 09:28 PM

Oh little man Like I said let's throw down some real money. We're now going to see who the fraud is, Balls in your court. Oh and jones sucks

There's not one person on this board who can't see through you ya fraud. Your posts tell your story. You're not a Steeler fan. You might live in Steeler country, you may have friends and family that are Steeler fans. But you, you despise them.

Texasteel
10-10-2013, 10:02 PM

I just may be smarter than you give me credit for. I can tell when someone is flaming this thread, and needling another poster. You want to keep this crap up, do it via PMs. There will not be any betting done on the open forum either. Please don't test me further.

zulater
10-11-2013, 10:24 AM
The many faces of Eli http://www.sportspickle.com/2012/02/the-many-faces-and-emotions-of-eli-manning
http://www.sportspickle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/0f073f5f3f04c50da7e5b241a8f16edc.jpg
http://www.sportspickle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/8493fbd0a2714a4a6f63904ca6bc3bc5.jpg
http://www.sportspickle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/2cfd9609ff0cd476a5503b91f5912c25.jpg
http://www.sportspickle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/1805d611e5eb09accb111dd780e37045.jpg

NJarhead
10-11-2013, 10:28 AM
I like Eli, but I don't think he could have won behind our O-Line in '08.

zulater
10-11-2013, 11:08 AM

I like Eli too. But he needs a lot of support.

Psycho Ward 86
10-11-2013, 01:10 PM

well we probably wouldnt have won period, so im glad he took out the pats for the rest of the free world

zulater
10-11-2013, 04:15 PM
well we probably wouldnt have won period, so im glad he took out the pats for the rest of the free world

Good point! And twice at that!
\
Imagine how much more insufferable Patriot fans would be than they already are if they had 5 SB wins.

Thanks Eli! :salute:

HollywoodSteel
10-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Good point! And twice at that!
\
Imagine how much more insufferable Patriot fans would be than they already are if they had 5 SB wins.

Thanks Eli! :salute:

Not to mention a perfect season! If for no other reason, Eli deserves our eternal gratitude for putting an end to that!

NJarhead
10-12-2013, 07:06 AM

Damn good point!

ALLD
10-12-2013, 11:38 AM
They both play on teams that had their Super Bowl runs, Eli even got MVP. Now both teams suck. Get ready for tv commentator or personal appearances.