PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin not happy with Brown's backward punt return

polamalubeast
10-30-2012, 12:44 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/30/tomlin-not-happy-with-browns-backward-punt-return/

steelreserve
10-30-2012, 12:59 PM
I kind of agree with the first comment too...

crownofthehelmet says: Oct 30, 2012 1:33 PM

While you’re at it MT, talk to him about celebrating every first down catch too.

Normally Brown strikes me as nothing but a hard worker and a team player, but that never-ending hotdogging gets old. First DOWWWWWWWWWWWWWN!! We get it.

zulater
10-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Message sent and received. Lesson learned. I doubt this will be a further issue with Antonio. Possibly it will even go a long way to curbing excessive celebrations throughout the team. When you consider the penalty against Brown was nullified by Browns illegal block, therefore null and void, it probably was a good thing that it happened.

Craic
10-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Message sent and received. Lesson learned. I doubt this will be a further issue with Antonio. Possibly it will even go a long way to curbing excessive celebrations throughout the team. When you consider the penalty against Brown was nullified by Browns illegal block, therefore null and void, it probably was a good thing that it happened.

Too true.

As i've said before, that kind of celebrating is the only problem we get out of the kid, I'm willing to overlook it, but I don't like it. He does seem to be smart enough however, to get the message.

86WARD
10-30-2012, 03:05 PM
I could only imagine the uproar had Wallace done this...lol. Brown's a smart kid...I doubt we'll see this again...

vader29
10-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Cut him to open a roster spot for Ta'amu to return! :heh:

HollywoodSteel
10-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Too true.

As i've said before, that kind of celebrating is the only problem we get out of the kid, I'm willing to overlook it, but I don't like it. He does seem to be smart enough however, to get the message.

I also think that if we're at the 1 yard line and Mendy spins at the line and goes into the endzone backwards, that should be a penalty too. Intent shouldn't matter. :)

Steeldude
10-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Brown isn't the only with this embarrassing hot-dogging problem. It's been snowballing for awhile.

polamalubeast
10-30-2012, 05:20 PM
When will Antonio Brown learn?

Antonio Brown was penalized for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for backpedaling 20 yards into the end zone against the Redskins.

Mike Tomlin addressed the issue on Tuesday and rightfully pointed out that the one play shouldn't paint an entire picture of a person.

But what about two or three?

Brown's penalties don't represent him as a person or player, but perception (unfortunately) can become reality.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/571162f2-d8d9-4323-b0ba-0e8022fff18d/?source=twitter

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he used Antonio Brown’s unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for backpedaling into the end zone from 20 yards out on a punt return against the Redskins this past week as a “learning opportunity” for not only Brown, but the entire team.

“Briefly, simply what I said is that it was not respectable,” Tomlin said. “Those of us that know Antonio and watch him work on a day to day basis, if one word describes him professionally it’s respectable. How he prepares, what he’s willing to do, what kind of teammate he is, and that’s represented in his play. That’s the way we approached it.”

I totally agree with Tomlin that there is no malice involved with Brown’s celebrations and that there isn’t a guy on the team that’s more respectable than him, but, on the other hand, it’s not the first time it has happened.

Brown was called for two unsportsmanlike conduct penatlies during back-to-back preseason games last year.

Brown was called for a taunting penalty after a 77-yard touchdown catch during the third preseason game last year when he turned around 10 yards before the end zone and pointed the ball at safety Thomas DeCoud.

Tomlin said immediately after the game: “It’s just not intelligent. We can’t have those types of penalties. They hurt our football team.”

A few days later, Brown was called for another unsporstmanlike conduct penalty when he joined in celebrating a Jonathan Dwyer touchdown run.

Of course all of the penatlies against Brown were far from egregious, but you have to wonder why it keeps happening.

Tomlin said it needs to be corrected.

“I think people that don’t see you work on a day to day basis are capable of making judgments about you personally and professionally based on what they see, so we want to do what’s respectable,” Tomlin said. “That’s what we talked about and kind of moved on.”

But talk is cheap. Time to see some action.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/10/30/tomlin-addresses-antonio-browns-taunting/

X-Terminator
10-30-2012, 08:19 PM
I could only imagine the uproar had Wallace done this...lol. Brown's a smart kid...I doubt we'll see this again...

I pointed this out yesterday, in a roundabout way. With the way Wallace has been overly scrutinized for everything he does, there would have been calls for him to be kicked off the team for sure. Having said that, Brown has been getting a LOT of criticism over this from fans around here.

SteelGhost
10-30-2012, 10:54 PM
I like AB, but this has to stop, specially the 1st. down "celebrations" :rolleyes:

steelpride12
10-31-2012, 11:12 PM
I love the Young Money crew all together. Most explosive and dynamic in the league, but I hope this is a lesson to all of them. Too much damn celebration after every single positive play or first down. I know they're hyped up and excited, but give the ball to the ref, get in the huddle, and continue to get open.

Brown learned his lesson I'm sure of that.

Craic
10-31-2012, 11:53 PM
I don't mind the show of emotion. I loved it when the Bus would get up and do his little headshake. Dwyer is working on a few things to show his emotion as well... a headshake, a twirling on the fingers in a "on, and on, and on" kind of way.

What bothers me is when its a showmanship thing, rather than a show of emotion. I know, hard to differentiate, but Brown is a very smart kid (guess I gotta quite calling him that, he's been in the league three years now), and I think he can learn how.

Seven
11-01-2012, 12:19 AM
As far as the first down celebrations go, believe it or not I think he picked that up from Santonio Holmes. I remember an interview during Brown & Sanders rookie season where they were talking about watching film of Holmes. They both seemed to adore him, at least at the time. Can't help but think that might be the origin of Brown's ridiculous first down nonsense. Holmes did the exact same move when he was here.

zulater
11-01-2012, 05:27 AM
Antonio Brown’s back-stepping jaunt into the end zone during his penalty-erased, punt-return touchdown Sunday upset Tomlin. Brown was flagged for taunting. “I not only spoke to Antonio, but I spoke to our team about it,” Tomlin said. “Briefly, simply what I said was it was not respectable. Those of us who know Antonio and watch him work on a day-to-day basis, if one word describes him professionally it’s respectable. ... I thought it was an awesome learning experience for the entire group.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/2864032-85/tomlin-sunday-game-steelers-giants-polamalu-antonio-clark-issues-practice#ixzz2AxuF3RYR
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

I think what coach Tomlin said sums it all up rather neatly and we can put this one to bed.

bayz101
11-01-2012, 05:59 AM
One thing that always pissing me off is that people slam Brown, Sanders and Wallace for "Showboating" after first down catches. I wouldn't qualify dropping a football to the turf "Showboating", would you? The closest I seen Brown come to "Showboating" he was screaming at the top of his lungs, and the crowd was so loud an earthquake may have shook the city. No problem with building hype and momentum.

SteelerFanInStl
11-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Every first down doesn't warrant a celebration. I get tired of seeing that.

tube517
11-01-2012, 09:20 AM
One thing that always pissing me off is that people slam Brown, Sanders and Wallace for "Showboating" after first down catches. I wouldn't qualify dropping a football to the turf "Showboating", would you? The closest I seen Brown come to "Showboating" he was screaming at the top of his lungs, and the crowd was so loud an earthquake may have shook the city. No problem with building hype and momentum.

It's the timing of the "celebration". Instead of doing that, they should be going to the huddle or lining up instead of wasting time. Especially in a 2 minute/hurry up situation.

But, I see your point. I don't see much complaining about Woodley's non hustling "karate" kick or Foote's stomp. But, that's another story because we have barely sacked the QB in a while.

Count Steeler
11-01-2012, 04:38 PM
I'll take Miller's attitude every time.

Craic
11-01-2012, 07:05 PM
It's the timing of the "celebration". Instead of doing that, they should be going to the huddle or lining up instead of wasting time. Especially in a 2 minute/hurry up situation.

But, I see your point. I don't see much complaining about Woodley's non hustling "karate" kick or Foote's stomp. But, that's another story because we have barely sacked the QB in a while.

I'd think it'd be a lot more intimidating if our defense would stand up, look at the guy and say, "See you again in a few seconds," and the walk away.

SteelerFanInStl
11-01-2012, 08:52 PM
I'll take Miller's attitude every time.

Yep, exactly the guy that I was thinking of while reading this thread.

Devilsdancefloor
11-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Every first down doesn't warrant a celebration. I get tired of seeing that.

agreed 1000% throw the ball back to the ref act like you have been there before. The whole drop the ball or running half way down the field is geting old get youre ass back tothe huddle or lined up this will at some point bite the steelers in the ass

Psycho Ward 86
11-01-2012, 10:07 PM
As far as the first down celebrations go, believe it or not I think he picked that up from Santonio Holmes. I remember an interview during Brown & Sanders rookie season where they were talking about watching film of Holmes. They both seemed to adore him, at least at the time. Can't help but think that might be the origin of Brown's ridiculous first down nonsense. Holmes did the exact same move when he was here.

lol it has nothing to santonio holmes are you serious? AB's been doing this stuff in college. It's out there loud and clear on film. I recall a long punt return where he actually not only turns around, but beckons a chasing defender.

Steeldude
11-01-2012, 10:18 PM

Doesn't your avatar show Brown showboating? IMO, there is no valid reason a player should run 10 to 15 yards up the field to celebrate a routine first down. The celebrations get more and more ridiculous each year.

Seven
11-01-2012, 10:36 PM
lol it has nothing to santonio holmes are you serious? AB's been doing this stuff in college. It's out there loud and clear on film. I recall a long punt return where he actually not only turns around, but beckons a chasing defender.

I don't recall seeing anything like that from him at CMU after a first down, which is specifically the situation I'm referring to.

GBMelBlount
11-02-2012, 06:01 AM
Too true.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Animal Mother
11-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Doesn't your avatar show Brown showboating? IMO, there is no valid reason a player should run 10 to 15 yards up the field to celebrate a routine first down. The celebrations get more and more ridiculous each year.

That mad me think of this exchange from the Incredibles

Bob: It's not a graduation. He's moving from the 4th grade to the 5th grade.

Helen: It's a ceremony.

Bob: It's psychotic! They keep creating new ways to celebrate mediocrity.

jb500ex
11-02-2012, 11:41 AM
I love the Young Money crew all together. Most explosive and dynamic in the league, but I hope this is a lesson to all of them. Too much damn celebration after every single positive play or first down. I know they're hyped up and excited, but give the ball to the ref, get in the huddle, and continue to get open.Brown learned his lesson I'm sure of that.Giants have the most explosive group of recievers

86WARD
11-02-2012, 06:23 PM
That's not necessarily true...especially this season...