PDA

View Full Version : The o-line in the last 5 games!!!

polamalubeast
10-28-2012, 11:04 PM
only 5 sacks allowed in the last 5 games and only 13 sacks allowed after 7 games this year

The steelers gave 50 sacks per year before this year, but this year, the o-line could given less than 30 sacks!

The next game will be the biggest challenge of the year against Tuck, Osi, JPP and the giants d-line!

zulater
10-28-2012, 11:25 PM
Ask yourself this. Personell wise, are we that much better than last year? We've got a rookie right tackle, Pouncey's been in and out of the line up. Colon while a clear upgrade over Kemo, has had some early adjustment issues to a new position. Starks is Starks, and Foster is Foster.

I'd say that anyone who thought the Arians firing wasn't neccessary needs to take stock of what's happening up front. A better system means fewer breakdowns along the line.

And this offense is still in the formation stages and hasn't had benifit of Rashard Mendenhall but for a handfull of plays so far.

steelreserve
10-28-2012, 11:27 PM
IIRC, when we were giving up tons of sacks, it wasn't good defensive linemen that gave us the biggest problem. It was whiffing when they sent someone from an unexpected direction, and having none of our shit together on blitzes. The short passing game has made up for a lot of that, and I expect next week to be no different. I do worry about our ability to run the ball, though.

Pristas
10-28-2012, 11:38 PM
I was talking to a guy today at the local Steelers bar about the same things. Right now Haley's offense really seems to be coming together. And we both agreed that we like what we see.

Craic
10-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Ask yourself this. Personell wise, are we that much better than last year?
Yes.

We have a rookie right tackle - who is heads and tails better than the rookie right tackle we had in there last year.
We have a right guard who has settled down and learned to play his position.
We have a center that was coming off a broken ankle last year - and was weak for the first third of the season. There are plenty of threads around here that give testimony to his play or lack of at the beginning of last year.
We have a left guard that was out of football for two years, but before that, was probably our best lineman at RT. He gets moved inside where he can play in a phone booth - and let the nasty out.
We have a left tackle that somehow gets better with age. Before last year, he was so-so. But starting about half way through the season (or whenever we brought him back), he's turned his game on.

So yeah, personnel wise, we are definitely better this year than we were last year.

- - - Updated - - -

I was talking to a guy today at the local Steelers bar about the same things. Right now Haley's offense really seems to be coming together. And we both agreed that we like what we see.

I do agree. As I've said in other threads, I think he's exactly what Ben needed to take the next step, and where Ben goes, the team goes.

zulater
10-28-2012, 11:52 PM
Yes.

We have a rookie right tackle - who is heads and tails better than the rookie right tackle we had in there last year.
We have a right guard who has settled down and learned to play his position.
We have a center that was coming off a broken ankle last year - and was weak for the first third of the season. There are plenty of threads around here that give testimony to his play or lack of at the beginning of last year.
We have a left guard that was out of football for two years, but before that, was probably our best lineman at RT. He gets moved inside where he can play in a phone booth - and let the nasty out.
We have a left tackle that somehow gets better with age. Before last year, he was so-so. But starting about half way through the season (or whenever we brought him back), he's turned his game on.

So yeah, personnel wise, we are definitely better this year than we were last year.

- - - Updated - - -

I do agree. As I've said in other threads, I think he's exactly what Ben needed to take the next step, and where Ben goes, the team goes.

Still carrying that Arians water Preach? :lol:

Guess what Foster was never anything more than mediocre before. Don't think losing all those 7 step drops could have helped him. LeGurskey's played nearly as much as Pouncey the last 5 games. Adams is still the back up. His game still has a long way to go. If we still were having Ben get the ball out as late as in seasons past I promise you this guy would be a huge problem right now. And Willie Colon has been the starter on lines that gave up over 50 sacks more than once ( this line projects to under 30 with Ben projected to throw a career high number of passes.)

Early returns are this. Haleys' system reduces sacks and helps the offensive line.

pepsyman1
10-29-2012, 01:17 AM
In case anyone was wondering, the pattern continues... Arians new wunderboy and team are 9th in the league in offensive yardage per game and BIG SURPRISE, 24th in points per game. I think the Rooneys did the right thing.

GBMelBlount
10-29-2012, 06:20 AM
While I agree with both points I think it is mostly because Ben gets rid of the ball faster.

I also wonder if teams are respecting our weapons. We are LOADED. We have arguably the fastest trio of receivers in the NFL. If you bring the house on Ben with all of the weapons he has right now you are usually toast. I think the most telling stat is our 3rd down conversion rate being the best in the nfl.

If our running game gets some legs we could be putting up 30 a game.

Austin87
10-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Early returns are this. Haleys' system reduces sacks and helps the offensive line.

QFT

Psycho Ward 86
10-29-2012, 11:20 AM
In case anyone was wondering, the pattern continues... Arians new wunderboy and team are 9th in the league in offensive yardage per game and BIG SURPRISE, 24th in points per game. I think the Rooneys did the right thing.

omgosh, but look at all of that yardage! :lol:

Texasteel
10-29-2012, 12:32 PM

Not sure how the Colts did in this area last year, but with a new offence, and a brand new QB these numbers do not surprise me.

As far as Haley is concured, I knew he would be just fine. I expected a rough start, with the offence looking better as we got into the middle of the year. Either way, Haley is our OC, not BA. In my humble oppinion, its time to have this dog put to sleep.

X-Terminator
10-29-2012, 01:01 PM

Can't argue with that. Haley has done a really good job so far and I like the direction the offense is going. He eased my fears of going back to Cowherball and "3 yards and a cloud of dust." Hopefully, things continue to improve.

Craic
10-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Still carrying that Arians water Preach? :lol:

Guess what Foster was never anything more than mediocre before. Don't think losing all those 7 step drops could have helped him. LeGurskey's played nearly as much as Pouncey the last 5 games. Adams is still the back up. His game still has a long way to go. If we still were having Ben get the ball out as late as in seasons past I promise you this guy would be a huge problem right now. And Willie Colon has been the starter on lines that gave up over 50 sacks more than once ( this line projects to under 30 with Ben projected to throw a career high number of passes.)

Not at all, and I think you're just spoiling for an argument. Let it go.

What I am doing, is looking at the line from last year to this year. I see a good improvement in the personnel. Foster has become a much more solid lineman, period. I agree the seven step drops hurt - but also did Ben's holding on the to ball for five or six seconds regardless of the dropback. Either way, Foster has taken a nice step forward.

Legurskey has always been a good backup for Pouncey. At center, he could start on a few NFL teams. Last year, he was playing RG, and that is where he was exposed. It's apples and Oranges - two different positions.

Adams is still a back up and his game does have a long way to go. But being a backup, or having a tremendous upside, does not negate in any way the fact that at this point in the season, he is a much better right tackle than Gilbert was this time last year. A pylon was a better RT at this point last year than Gilbert was.

Willie colon wasn't playing last year. Don't pull outside data that has nothing to do with this argument. The simple question is, "Is Willie Colon a better left guard than Kemoeauto?" The answer, is yes.

Starks has played well the last two years. That is the ONLY place on this line that hasn't improved from last year to this year - since once again, Pouncey was playing injured the first part of last year. And yes, Legurskey playing center at fulls strength is better than Pouncey playing center coming off a busted ankle and not able get leverage off it until the muscles strengthen.

That doesn't mean that Haley's system isn't helping. This isn't black and white like you're trying to paint it. It's a both/and. There are a lot of factors involved, and an improved line is one of them. Forcing Ben to get rid of the ball quicker by being a coach instead of a friend is another (and I've said that since the middle of the summer - so I still have no idea what your fascination with me and Arians is. I never really liked or disliked him. It was what it was and if you look back through the old threads, you'd find exactly that - as well as me saying I'd be interested to see what a different coordinator could do with the offense).

Here's a hint Zu for reading my posts - don't confuse argumentation of elements of a team for support of a person, nor should you confuse my pointing out illogical arguments as supporting for a person. Do you REALLY think I like Good-deal? He gave the Pats* a slap on the wrist and looked the other way. That doesn't stop me from pointing out the horrible logic that is rampant on this board concerning the way he hands out fines. Just because others on here decide to love or hate a coach or player, and then marshal evidence for it doesn't mean I do that. I could really care less who the coaches are - except that I love to see consistency with our coaching staff.

ALLD
10-29-2012, 03:26 PM
The bottom line is, does anybody want Arians back instead of keeping Haley?

Short passing game including throwing to the RB and second TE freakin' work! Plus not telegraphing our plays and doing something more than base offense has helped the team. It has been so good that the O passed up the D in efficiency and performance.

Craic
10-29-2012, 06:45 PM
The bottom line is, does anybody want Arians back instead of keeping Haley?

Short passing game including throwing to the RB and second TE freakin' work! Plus not telegraphing our plays and doing something more than base offense has helped the team. It has been so good that the O passed up the D in efficiency and performance.

This I can completely agree with. I have no idea why people think that a side by side measurement of a coach is applicable, when so often, one stands on the shoulders of the other. If we were rebuilding, that'd be different. Haley came in and inherited a passing team surpassed by none that was put together by Colbert, Tomlin, and Arians, and coached up by Arians. He had to work to get a subpar line up to speed - doing so (along with Colbert and Tomlin) by drafting DeCastro and Adams. Sure, DeCastro got injured, but Adams, as I've said in other places, is better than Gilbert this time last year (far better) and he made Colon's switch as well. I also think there is a difference in blocking styles, I think if was Willie that made mention of it the other day, that they're blocking for the way the RB runs now. That's a good change.

So no, I wouldn't want Arians back. In the same way however, I also wouldn't want Cowher back over Tomlin, or Kevin Whisenhunt back over Haley.

Psycho Ward 86
10-29-2012, 06:58 PM
who was Gilbert usually assigned to for most of the game? Kerrigan? anyone know?

Craic
10-29-2012, 07:07 PM
who was Gilbert usually assigned to for most of the game? Kerrigan? anyone know?

Gilbert didn't play.

Psycho Ward 86
10-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Gilbert didn't play.

bleh i meant mike adams

Craic
10-30-2012, 12:41 AM
bleh i meant mike adams

LOL. No, from what I saw, he was on the other side. I went back and re-watched the game tonight (love the half-hour replay of the entire game - shows just how much time is wasted by commercials and the like). I watched him specfically on every offensive series. He gave up one pressure. Towards the end of the game, he was moving his guy decently well as well. However, I'm not sure of the DE he was facing. I'd like to see him go up against someone a bit better and see what happens.

Don't get me wrong. He still looks like a rookie. But nothing like what Gilbert looked like last year.