PDA

View Full Version : AB didn't know the rule

stillers4me
10-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Asked if he knows it's an automatic foul if you run backwards into the end zone, Brown said, "No, I had no clue. I did the same thing when I took one back on Oakland, and I didn't see a flag. I gotta get better on that."
Indeed.
Of course, it won't matter if his teammates keep holding on his big returns.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/117ed4dd-7cf2-4ae9-8ddf-4687817c1f93/?source=twitter

Steeltreal
10-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Bench him Tomlin, do it. Do it!

stillers4me
10-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Apparently, somersaulting into the endzone is not taunting but running backward is.

Alrighty then.

steelpride12
10-28-2012, 03:51 PM
I don't see the big deal. It didn't cost us the cost, it was a minor mistake, and he had no idea. Moving on.

steelerdude15
10-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Well, I hope he doesn't do it again now that he knows the rule.

X-Terminator
10-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Now, I want to see if the same people who have bashed Wallace pretty much all season will now bash Brown for this really stupid and unacceptable play. Just run it into the freaking end zone and then do your celebration.

86WARD
10-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Now, I want to see if the same people who have bashed Wallace pretty much all season will now bash Brown for this really stupid and unacceptable play. Just run it into the freaking end zone and then do your celebration.

Dick move by Brown...and in bad taste.

However, I laughed...

fansince'76
10-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Wouldn't have mattered anyway thanks to Curtis Brown's boneheaded block in the back - BEHIND the play, no less. :doh:

86WARD
10-28-2012, 04:23 PM
It's special teams...it's "what we do!"

Psycho Ward 86
10-28-2012, 04:24 PM
no big deal.

crcsnail
10-28-2012, 04:53 PM
i was impressed . i would have gone arse over tit trying to run backwards that fast !

Count Steeler
10-28-2012, 04:57 PM
We have to sharpen up on the celebrations. Getting a little much for me.

I much prefer the lunch bucket "air" about Heath. Catch the ball, get back to the huddle. Catch a TD, chest pump a couple of guys, get to the sideline.

You can run backwards and somersault and go completely ape shit once we win the SB.

Moose
10-28-2012, 05:09 PM
i was impressed . i would have gone arse over tit trying to run backwards that fast !

I was thinking the same thing about running backwards that fast, him either falling or not seeing the line would have accidentally run out of bounds. Either way, it was an asinine move and I'm sure Tomlin will correct him on it. Heath's style is so much classier.....score TD and give the ball to ref.

ALLD
10-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Act like you been there before. No need to bring extra attention to yourself.

Moose
10-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Maybe there should be some sort of class for all of the rookies explaining some of the do's and don'ts in pro football. I would hate to have some of these asinine things haunt us in a PLAY-OFF game when a TD is hard to come by.

tube517
10-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Maybe there should be some sort of class for all of the rookies explaining some of the do's and don'ts in pro football. I would hate to have some of these asinine things haunt us in a PLAY-OFF game when a TD is hard to come by.

Yep. There is a fine line between making wine and squashing grapes. Gotta be smarter than that in Dec/Jan.

Craic
10-28-2012, 05:29 PM
I didn't like it - never did like that kind of showboating.

But if that's all the kid does wrong, I'm willing to overlook it.

Chidi29
10-28-2012, 05:37 PM

While it talks more about life rather than rules, that is the purpose of the rookie symposium.

Moose
10-28-2012, 05:40 PM
I didn't like it - never did like that kind of showboating.

But if that's all the kid does wrong, I'm willing to overlook it.

Agree 100 % with you. I guess I'm old school and never liked the showboating crap either. Just score and give the ball to the ref.

st33lersguy
10-28-2012, 06:13 PM
He certainly did not make a big a mistake as the idiot who needlessly pushed in the back a player who had no chance of tackling Antonio Brown and who single-handedly kept the Redskins in the game

pepsyman1
10-28-2012, 10:32 PM
It rubbed me the wrong way. Thats not the type of thing you see from elite players and teams in championships. Ever see Robotron or Fitzgerald pull that stunt, let alone a Jerry Rice or Hines?

steelreserve
10-28-2012, 10:40 PM
You know what's garbage? If a block in the back is a 10-yard penalty from the spot of the foul, how come every time our guy catches a punt on the 35 or 40-yard line, and the block in the back comes at the 40 or the 50, the ball gets put at like our own 15. Not just in this game, but pretty much every game this season. I'm convinced they're messing this up on a regular basis.

Today's was no different - the ref said the penalty on Brown was declined, and if I understand the rules correctly, in order to accept it, Washington would've also had to accept the touchdown. So that shouldn't have had any effect on it.

Chidi29
10-28-2012, 10:44 PM
You know what's garbage? If a block in the back is a 10-yard penalty from the spot of the foul, how come every time our guy catches a punt on the 35 or 40-yard line, and the block in the back comes at the 40 or the 50, the ball gets put at like our own 15. Not just in this game, but pretty much every game this season. I'm convinced they're messing this up on a regular basis.

Today's was no different - the ref said the penalty on Brown was declined, and if I understand the rules correctly, in order to accept it, Washington would've also had to accept the touchdown. So that shouldn't have had any effect on it.

No, don't think that's how it works. And I'm pretty sure the league made in conjunction with that rule that any excessive celebration/unsportsmanlike conduct leading to a touchdown wipes out the TD.

steelreserve
10-28-2012, 11:21 PM
No, don't think that's how it works. And I'm pretty sure the league made in conjunction with that rule that any excessive celebration/unsportsmanlike conduct leading to a touchdown wipes out the TD.

That's high school and college, but pretty sure they don't do it that way in the NFL. I don't know how many times I've seen unsportsmanlike conduct called for celebrating on a scoring play and they enforce it on the kickoff. Granted, most of those come AFTER the touchdown, but I'm fairly certain I've seen DeSean Jackson and a couple other select idiots get flagged for hotdogging on their way into the end zone and the TD still stood. Definitely never remember seeing one called back.

Yes, that was still a bonehead move by Brown, but I don't think it was responsible for the final spot. The official did say it was declined.

Steeldude
10-28-2012, 11:33 PM
It doesn't matter if he didn't know the rule. He shouldn't be acting like a punk in the first place. What is it with the certain Steelers' players and their need to act like asses after/during plays? Act like you have made a play before. It's embarrassing.

SteelerFanInStl
10-29-2012, 08:08 AM
Tomlin needs to tell these guys to knock that crap off. I hate that stuff!

BlastFurnace
10-29-2012, 10:14 AM
I don't think it should be a penalty, but what if a flag isn't thrown and Brown falls flat on his backside.

IMO, cross the goalline and then celebrate.

zulater
10-29-2012, 10:28 AM
No Fun League forever!

Let's take the joy out of the game and make it as much drudgery as a day at the dentist! Got to take this game seriously! :sarcasm:

HollywoodSteel
10-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Speaking of weird penalty rules, what was with D. Halls's multiple penalties at the end? It was noisy in my house so I wasn't sure I heard correctly. Did they enforce 2 penalties and tack on 30 yards? I didn't think they could do that.

steelreserve
10-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Speaking of weird penalty rules, what was with D. Halls's multiple penalties at the end? It was noisy in my house so I wasn't sure I heard correctly. Did they enforce 2 penalties and tack on 30 yards? I didn't think they could do that.

That's exactly what happened. For personal fouls, they can make an exception to the one-penalty-per-play enforcement. Usually when a player gets ejected, and usually when one of the penalties involves going after the refs. I've seen it a few times before, the first back in the late 80s or early 90s when Charles Haley got called for a phantom roughing the passer penalty and then accidentally smacked the ref when he was swinging his arms in frustration. Also I think in a Broncos-Chiefs game when Derrick Thomas got in a fight with someone at the end of the game. Rare, but it happens.

Texasteel
10-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Bench him Tomlin, do it. Do it!

I think that could be called cutting off your nose to spite your face. I have an idea that Tomlin will think of some other way to get his point accross. Brown may want to lay low for a couple days.

Devilsdancefloor
10-29-2012, 01:02 PM
i didnt like it at all, but i lol and then thought joe greene is gonna get ahold of AB and tell him steelers do not do that, but who knows I am sure like Ed said tomlin will get his point across

Craic
10-29-2012, 01:06 PM
That's exactly what happened. For personal fouls, they can make an exception to the one-penalty-per-play enforcement. Usually when a player gets ejected, and usually when one of the penalties involves going after the refs. I've seen it a few times before, the first back in the late 80s or early 90s when Charles Haley got called for a phantom roughing the passer penalty and then accidentally smacked the ref when he was swinging his arms in frustration. Also I think in a Broncos-Chiefs game when Derrick Thomas got in a fight with someone at the end of the game. Rare, but it happens.

Yeah, the ref actually said that they were tacking it on because it was a penalty against a ref. I backed up the DVR and had to check again, because it was strange.

BlastFurnace
10-29-2012, 01:54 PM
i didnt like it at all, but i lol and then thought joe greene is gonna get ahold of AB and tell him steelers do not do that, but who knows I am sure like Ed said tomlin will get his point across

I have a feeling Dick LeBeau would tell him in not so nice terms either.

Remember what he did to Anthony Smith back in 2006 when he high stepped after getting that INT against Carolina? Anyone still have that video?

Craic
10-30-2012, 01:16 AM

Remember what he did to Anthony Smith back in 2006 when he high stepped after getting that INT against Carolina? Anyone still have that video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLTXH5ZNDwg

tube517
10-30-2012, 08:53 AM

Remember when he chewed out Troy? Troy was practically in tears after the game.

BlastFurnace
10-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Remember when he chewed out Troy? Troy was practically in tears after the game.

Wasn't that after the lateral in the Bengals 2005 playoff game?

tube517
10-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Wasn't that after the lateral in the Bengals 2005 playoff game?

I think it was the Bengals but it was more recent, maybe 2010 game?

EDIT: http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/4949-Has-Troy-said-why-he-threw-that-lateral?highlight=troy+lateral+lebeau