PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger says he likes the dink-and-dunk offense

polamalubeast
10-26-2012, 09:42 AM
As Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and Steelers offensive coordinator inch toward a confrontation that coach Mike Tomlin regards as inevitable, Roethlisberger is fashioning a tapestry of passive-aggressive sound bites aimed at needling Haley or building support from the fans, or both.

Over the weekend, Roethlisberger referred to Halley’s offense as a “dink-and-dunk” attack. Though the term widely is regarded in football circles as derisive, Ben now saws that he actually is a fan of dinking and dunking.

“That wasn’t meant in a negative way,” Roethlisberger said Thursday, via Jarrett Bell of USA Today. “Coach Haley and I had a laugh about it this morning. To dink and dunk, that’s moving the chains, and it will open up big plays. The Patriots dink and dunk, too.”

And when those big plays come, maybe Roethlisberger will refer to the offense as “chuck and duck.” In a positive way.

Here’s the reality. The Steelers got rid of offensive coordinator Bruce Arians in part because he and Roethlisberger were regarded as being too close, to the point where there was real concern that Arians was creating game plans with an eye toward showcasing the quarterback, which could have impacted the broader effort to win games. Right or wrong, Haley’s presence is aimed in part at enhancing the overall effort by not allowing Roethlisberger to get too reckless with the ball or his body.

The fact that Haley has yet to engage Roethlisberger via the media is a good sign. The Steelers knew that it would take time for Ben to buy in to the new approach, and they’re wisely tolerating his periodic public pissing and moaning about dinking and dunking or chucking and ducking or whatever he may publicly piss and/or moan about.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/26/roethlisberger-says-he-likes-the-dink-and-dunk-offense/

fansince'76
10-26-2012, 10:43 AM
From comments Tomlin made last week I believe he would be very, very happy of BR stopped talking about this. So why doesn’t he? The guy just plain doesn’t like listening to his coaches and doesn’t respect coaches who help him win if they are too “authoritarian” for his liking (Whiz, Haley, Cowher). He probably should have played an individual sport, not football.

Cam Newton is taking a lot of public guff for his comments recently as possibly being anti his current OC…why does BR not get the same level and amount of scrutiny? This site is one of the few places one even hears of “BR vs Haley”. In all honesty, I’d compare him and Cam more as far as skillset than I’d compare Cam to any other current QB.

I believe it has something to do with these:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aWUPTb-gB8M/SjA-EiQzDYI/AAAAAAAAAFs/ZPw-shh27Jo/s1600/XLIII_ring_compare.JPG

Furthermore, anyone who equates Newton's recent comments to Roethlisberger's is smoking crack.

Bluecoat96
10-26-2012, 12:23 PM
You know, the media keeps looking for that "issue" between Coach Haley and Ben. I gotta be honest. I'm watching Haley's interview with the media on steelers.com, and he seems really comfortable in his own skin.....much more relaxed and amicable than I've even seen him in the past with KC, Arizona, and Dallas. Maybe he's really happy to be working in his freaking hometown for his favorite team.....you gotta think he feels like he's partially living out a childhood dream. I would think that this has a GREAT affect on how he interacts with players and coaches.

stillers4me
10-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Ben sometimes can be real sarcastic and it goes right over the media's heads. I think he like to play with them and see how far it goes. Who knows what he really means.

X-Terminator
10-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Ben sometimes can be real sarcastic and it goes right over the media's heads. I think he like to play with them and see how far it goes. Who knows what he really means.

Gary pointed this out last week, that Ben may be trolling the media. I'd love it if it's true, but I have a feeling it's not, and Ben is just whining because he doesn't get to do what he wants anymore.

Craic
10-26-2012, 01:20 PM
I think this was the best response to that "story."

mvl says:Oct 26, 2012 1:45 PM“Here’s the reality.”
Oh, let’s listen to the lawyer and yellow journalist talk about reality.

:heh:

HollywoodSteel
10-26-2012, 01:34 PM
I think this was the best response to that "story."

:heh:

I agree. This looks like a parody of an article written by one of us. Ben straight up CLARIFIED what he meant so that there would be no confusion, but this tool decides that he doesn't like that angle so he picks the more juicy one. And then idiots like me click on the article which only encourages more inept journalists do the same.

tube517
10-26-2012, 10:07 PM
I believe it has something to do with these:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aWUPTb-gB8M/SjA-EiQzDYI/AAAAAAAAAFs/ZPw-shh27Jo/s1600/XLIII_ring_compare.JPG

Furthermore, anyone who equates Newton's recent comments to Roethlisberger's is smoking crack.

Tyrone Biggums thinks Cam is as good as Ben :chuckle:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_LvumSQYrAYw/Sp7l2EudaII/AAAAAAAAAK8/2dGft9Y3_4g/s400/Dave+Chappelle+crackhead.jpg

steelerdude15
10-26-2012, 11:04 PM
As Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and Steelers offensive coordinator inch toward a confrontation that coach Mike Tomlin regards as inevitable, Roethlisberger is fashioning a tapestry of passive-aggressive sound bites aimed at needling Haley or building support from the fans, or both.

What a bunch of BS. The media just won't let this imaginary fight go away.

86WARD
10-27-2012, 06:24 AM
Keep the fight going Ben.

zulater
10-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Clearly, Roethlisberger has settled in nicely in first-year coordinator Todd Haley's offense, which brings us to something else Roethlisberger heard last week.
"People made a big deal of me calling it a dink-and-dunk offense," he said. "That's not a negative. Todd and I talked about it. We laughed about it. That is not a bad thing. We want to possess the ball and be a balanced offense. I think we're doing that right now."
Everybody knows Roethlisberger was close to former Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, who refers to Roethlisberger as "my other son." They also know Roethlisberger was slow to wrap his arms around Haley in a warm embrace. Roethlisberger admitted he wondered if a change in coordinators was necessary. He also knew of Haley's reputation for getting in the face of his quarterback on the sideline and wasn't excited about playing for him.
The two had "one little incident" -- Roethlisberger's words -- on the sideline in the opening game in Denver. But other than that? Peace, harmony and four wins in seven games.
"It's getting better," Roethlisberger said. "We're developing a relationship. We're doing some good things on offense. We ran a good dose of the no-huddle today, which I really like because I feel like I see the field better. I like a lot of the things we're doing. I don't have a problem with Todd, and I don't think he has one with me. We get along just fine."
Haley was the first to greet Roethlisberger with a tap on the helmet when he walked to the sideline in the game's final minute.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-roethlisberger-outshines-griffin-iii-659654/#ixzz2AjaHoW9S

siss
10-30-2012, 12:51 AM
The media acts like when Ben says its a bad word "go dink and dunk your self" "Dink and dunk off".

They want a controversy so they make one up and I am glad that fans are not buying into it.

Craic
10-30-2012, 01:00 AM
The media acts like when Ben says its a bad word "go dink and dunk your self" "Dink and dunk off".

They want a controversy so they make one up and I am glad that fans are not buying into it.

It's all about going with the narrative. Todd Haley's narrative has been that he creates chaos everywhere he goes by getting into players faces, yelling, etc. It just isn't happening here, and that has them completely confused.

zulater
10-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Nobody asked me, but . . .

* It’s becoming increasingly clear why the Steelers fired offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. Ben Roethlisberger was verging on an endangered specie running the Arians’ offense. In Todd Haley’s offense, Roethlisberger is not only having success, he’s staying on his feet. He’s being protected, which will extend his career, and being productive. In the Steelers past six games, Roethlisberger has thrown 228 passes and been sacked just eight times.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/34750-clear-now-why-arians-was-fired

Craic
10-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Nobody asked me, but . . .

* It’s becoming increasingly clear why the Steelers fired offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. Ben Roethlisberger was verging on an endangered specie running the Arians’ offense. In Todd Haley’s offense, Roethlisberger is not only having success, he’s staying on his feet. He’s being protected, which will extend his career, and being productive. In the Steelers past six games, Roethlisberger has thrown 228 passes and been sacked just eight times.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/34750-clear-now-why-arians-was-fired

He's right - nobody did ask him. This is more wishful thinking from hindsight. Everyone was arguing that it was because the ball wasn't being ran, when obviously, that wasn't the issue. Hines Ward I think got it right - the relationship hurt the ability to reign Ben in when it came to pushing him to the next step.