PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Jonathan Dwyer's rise forces tough decisions

Count Steeler
10-24-2012, 06:08 PM
By Marc Sessler

The Pittsburgh Steelers have struggled to run the ball this season, but Jonathan Dwyer's breakout performance against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday night offers hope.

Dwyer's 122 yards on the ground was the most by a Steelers back in more than a year, but the third-year pro knows who's boss in Pittsburgh. Rashard Mendenhall is close to returning from an Achilles' injury and Isaac Redman (ankle) is on his way back, too. Dwyer won't stand in their way.

"If they were to be back, I have no problem," Dwyer told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "He (Mendenhall) is the starter and he's earned that here. All I tried to do Sunday was solidify myself as a player."

Coach Mike Tomlin said Dwyer is "evolving as a player and as a person," and beat writer Mark Kaboly believes the young back might eventually take over the starting role if he continues to shine over the final 10 games of the season.

read more @ http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000084658/article/steelers-jonathan-dwyers-rise-forces-tough-decisions

Dwyer up for Fedex Ground Player of the week.

ALLD
10-24-2012, 06:22 PM
At this point all starting positions are open except for QB & TE.

Moose
10-24-2012, 07:12 PM
At this point all starting positions are open except for QB & TE.

Gotta agree. I say Mendy, when healthy, comes back at starter but if all we get are the typical 2-3 yrd runs, then it's time for Dwyer to make appearance. Or alternating could be an option.

Steeldude
10-24-2012, 08:10 PM
When the O-line opens holes the RBs get yards

Psycho Ward 86
10-24-2012, 09:16 PM
gotta give credit when its due. Dwyer manufactured a lot of his own yards on sunday.

GBMelBlount
10-24-2012, 09:41 PM
When the O-line opens holes the RBs get yards

Agreed.

Psycho Ward 86

gotta give credit when its due. Dwyer manufactured a lot of his own yards on sunday.

Agreed.

The line played well and Dwyer did make some yards on his own.

Personally I like to see competition like this and I hope Tomlin let's them compete....and share the load as earned.

steelreserve
10-24-2012, 10:50 PM
I wouldn't hand him the starting job just yet. He had one good game, but let's not forget how lousy he and all the other RBs were before that. If Mendenhall is available (and not pushing it to where he might re-injure something), I'd much rather see him in there. If Redman is healthy, who cares. He's been garbage this year.

Craic
10-25-2012, 03:47 AM
I wouldn't hand him the starting job just yet. He had one good game, but let's not forget how lousy he and all the other RBs were before that. If Mendenhall is available (and not pushing it to where he might re-injure something), I'd much rather see him in there. If Redman is healthy, who cares. He's been garbage this year.

I'm not sure I'd say garbage - as once again, I think they had to fight through quite a bit of line problems early on. Redman earned a lot of 1 and 2 yard carries that were actually very tough yards. However, I do agree with you in the main that Mendy should be starting and Dwyer given the chance to back him up.

lilyoder6
10-25-2012, 12:03 PM
i feel this happened last yr as well.. dwyer had a good game, and was talk about him starting over redmen.. but it nvr happened

Craic
10-25-2012, 06:28 PM
i feel this happened last yr as well.. dwyer had a good game, and was talk about him starting over redmen.. but it nvr happened

Yep, but thankfully, it's going to happen this week, according to the latest report.

SteelGhost
10-26-2012, 10:14 PM
One good game and the writer calls it "a rise" ? Too soon to tell, the kid played a great game, but he needs to continue playing well for some more games IMHO. I liked his attitude against the Bungles.

86WARD
10-27-2012, 06:25 AM
What's so difficult?

Mendenhall > Dwyer >>>>>> Redman. Done.

Steeldude
10-28-2012, 02:30 AM
If Redman is healthy, who cares. He's been garbage this year.

Based on what? The O-line failing to make holes? Redman has ran some very tough yards.

Seven
10-28-2012, 07:19 AM
From what I've seen, Dwyer has the best vision on the team which is what has set him apart. There is no question Mendenhall is the superior talent, and Redman is a straight up battering ram. But without the vision, you can have all the talent in the world and still average 2 yards per carry. Dwyer is a true one-cut back, which is what I believe most Steeler fans thought Redman was. I never understood the fanbase's fascination with Ike. Great short yardage back, but I've said all along he isn't a starter.

Count Steeler
10-28-2012, 07:57 AM
From what I've seen, Dwyer has the best vision on the team which is what has set him apart. There is no question Mendenhall is the superior talent, and Redman is a straight up battering ram. But without the vision, you can have all the talent in the world and still average 2 yards per carry. Dwyer is a true one-cut back, which is what I believe most Steeler fans thought Redman was. I never understood the fanbase's fascination with Ike. Great short yardage back, but I've said all along he isn't a starter.

Welcome to the board.

Seven
10-28-2012, 08:02 AM
Welcome to the board.

Thanks! :wave:

GBMelBlount
10-28-2012, 08:18 AM
Based on what? The O-line failing to make holes? Redman has ran some very tough yards.

Redman has not exactly "shined" this year.

I think there are just too many variables to really compare things right now.

Our line keeps changing, the defensive lines they run against change every week and our stable of health7y running backs seems to change practically every week.

While I think Mendy should be the starter by default when healthy, I would like to see them them work a rotation to keep everyone fresh, keep it a competition and see if anyone really pulls away from the others.