PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Roethlisberger staying upright in Haley’s new offense

zulater
10-24-2012, 01:40 AM
Up-right. adj. Having the main axis or main part perpendicular or vertical.
Perhaps the best quality of Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s system is that’s exactly how Ben Roethlisberger is playing most of the time. Upright.
Quarterbacks are judged in many ways. How they run a team, how they throw the deep pass, how they handle pressure on and off the field. But no quarterback can successfully manage a team if he’s on his backside, or exactly where Roethlisberger found himself more than any other NFL quarterback over the previous five seasons.
The decision to allow former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians to walk away and to hire Haley was made partly because of those 215 sacks from 2007-11. As Roethlisberger turned 30, the Steelers felt the need to keep their franchise player — their main axis — on the field but off the turf as much as possible.

One of Roethlisberger’s once-frequent targets suggests it was time for a change.
“Sometimes when you get so close, partiality sets in and you don’t know if Bruce Arians is doing what’s best for the Steelers or if he’s doing what’s best for Ben Roethlisberger,” said former Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward, now an NBC analyst. “I think that set in and they had to part ways because when you go out there and you can’t decide what’s best for the team and you’re doing what’s best for the players, that can be a problem.”
The Steelers didn’t hire Haley to be Roethlisberger’s best friend, but to bring out the best in him.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/2819400-85/roethlisberger-steelers-haley-exactly-yards-passes-quarterback-arians-doing-main#ixzz2ACDYY4wD
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

86WARD
10-27-2012, 06:58 AM
Which Haley is doing...bringing out the best and keeping him healthy.

ALLD
10-27-2012, 07:13 AM
We have been calling to throw to the RBs out of the backfield and quick slants in order to take some of the pressure off the OL and reduce sacks. It was obvious, even to the fans. And guess what, it works.

tube517
10-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Shouldn't it read Roethlisberger staying upTight in Haley's new offense??? I mean, they are mortal enemies. :boxing: :chuckle:

- - - Updated - - -

Shouldn't it read Roethlisberger staying upTight in Haley's new offense??? I mean, they are mortal enemies. :boxing: :chuckle:

Moose
10-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Ben has to be liking the present play book. First off, he has to be feeling alot better come Monday morning ! I think Haley is adding a year or two to Ben's playing career.

zulater
10-28-2012, 11:18 PM
http://www.nfl.com/player/benroethlisberger/2506109/profile

If you want a solid stat to support the job Haley's doing so far try this. Ben is on track to do something this year that he's never come close to doing before. To wit, through 7 games this season Ben has thrown more TD passes (14) than he's taken sacks (13). This from someone who career wise averages nearly 2 sacks per 1 TD pass.

In Arians tenure (2007-2011) Ben threw 113 TD passes and was sacked 215 times.

zulater
10-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Haley deserves credit for all of that, but the best thing he has done with his quick-passing offense is keep Roethlisberger from taking so many hits. Roethlisberger said he feels "great" seven games into the season. His right shoulder doesn't hurt. His legs are good. His ribs are pain-free.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-roethlisberger-outshines-griffin-iii-659654/#ixzz2Ajam6gmJ

Shoes
10-29-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm happy.

Craic
10-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Haley deserves credit for all of that, but the best thing he has done with his quick-passing offense is keep Roethlisberger from taking so many hits. Roethlisberger said he feels "great" seven games into the season. His right shoulder doesn't hurt. His legs are good. His ribs are pain-free.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-roethlisberger-outshines-griffin-iii-659654/#ixzz2Ajam6gmJ

and THAT's probably the best contribution Haley has made. I don't think Ben really understood the impact that playing the way he did had on his game throughout the season.

zulater
10-29-2012, 07:15 PM
and THAT's probably the best contribution Haley has made. I don't think Ben really understood the impact that playing the way he did had on his game throughout the season.

Perfect example yesterday was a 3rd and 7 play from just inside the redzone ( or it may have been 2nd down?) The play wasn't there, and rather than try to force the issue Ben threw the ball out of the end zone, avoiding a hit, turnover, or sack. and preserved the fg opportunity. Season's before, 9 out of 10 times he tries to make a play and regrets it 6 out of 10 times.

Of course 2 out of 10 times he's make a otherworldly play and get the touchdown. :lol:

tube517
10-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Haleys strength is adapting to his players strengths. KC had great running backs. Arizona had great receivers. Pittsburgh has balance and I think the running game will become solid. I think the early season running game issues will be an afterthought.

Texasteel
10-29-2012, 09:39 PM

Is this Haley's doing, or just Ben playing smarter, or a combination of the two. I don't really know, and I don't really care. Only point I care about is, Ben is playing very good, and very smart football, that is all that matters right now. I think both Haley and Ben may be doing the best job they probably ever have.

Craic
10-30-2012, 12:13 AM
Perfect example yesterday was a 3rd and 7 play from just inside the redzone ( or it may have been 2nd down?) The play wasn't there, and rather than try to force the issue Ben threw the ball out of the end zone, avoiding a hit, turnover, or sack. and preserved the fg opportunity. Season's before, 9 out of 10 times he tries to make a play and regrets it 6 out of 10 times.

Of course 2 out of 10 times he's make a otherworldly play and get the touchdown. :lol:

:chuckle: What are you talking about? It was three out of ten times - stop ripping on Arians! :wink02:

Haleys strength is adapting to his players strengths. KC had great running backs. Arizona had great receivers. Pittsburgh has balance and I think the running game will become solid. I think the early season running game issues will be an afterthought.
I think you're right. Especially with Mendenhall when he's able to play again.

Is this Haley's doing, or just Ben playing smarter, or a combination of the two. I don't really know, and I don't really care. Only point I care about is, Ben is playing very good, and very smart football, that is all that matters right now. I think both Haley and Ben may be doing the best job they probably ever have.
I honestly think it's a change of coaches - with a new coach having the ability to sit him down and tell him "you will do this in this case," and "in that case, do what you think is best." Of course, another large part of it could be. . .

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-07-17/AshleyHarlan-a.jpg
"I don't care HOW 'hurt' you are - have YOU ever felt a baby kick you in the friggen bladder? Do you think I care that it's three in the morning - you WILL go to the store and buy me pickles and cheez whiz. Now! And don't give me that 'I have three broken ribs' excuse . . . drama queen!"

:chuckle:

polamalubeast
10-30-2012, 07:31 AM
@Steelers Ben Roethlisberger did something vs. #Redskins first time in his career. #Steelers hope it's a trend.

It's the only time he has thrown three touchdown passes in a game while getting neither sacked nor intercepted.

It was the ninth game in his NFL career in which he was neither sacked nor intercepted, and the second time this season. The other game was a win against the Philadelphia Eagles. During the previous three seasons, it happened only once, at Cleveland in the 2010 finale

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/0fce3d51-011d-471d-87b8-806a549df654/?source=twitter

polamalubeast
10-30-2012, 07:44 AM
All right, let's set the record straight on my 'dink and dunk' conversation with Ben ... READ MORE

It's time I weigh in, since I was, you know, the one talking to Ben at the time. There have been many interpretations of the conversation. Many overreactions. My personal favorite is some version of, 'Gee, I watch portions of practice two days a week and I've never seen them throw punches. What's the problem?'

Ben and I spoke the Friday before the Cinci game, with the offense coming off a bad performance in Nashville. It was the first time Ben used 'dink and dunk' to describe 'Haley's offense.' Which I found interesting. He also said, when asked why he didn't go deep more than once to Mike Wallace, "There's a guy calling the plays. That's on him." Read that any way you like. I was standing there. I can tell you it was said in explanatory, rather than inflammatory, fashion. But I can also tell you -- hardly news here -- that this was not a quarterback enamored with his new offense. The comments simply portrayed a man unsure if the new system was going to suit his abilities. That is different from portraying a revolution within the quarterback room or hatred between Ben and Haley. Nobody claimed any such thing was happening.

Let's stay in reality: Surely nobody has to tell you that this would not have been the offense of Ben's choosing. There has been resistance. I'm quite certain the Steelers expected resistance. Ben didn't want a change. He likes more of a risky game. He'd prefer more shots down the field. He's a swashbuckler by nature, a guy who once said that if chosen for the Hall of Fame, he'd want Sinatra's "My Way" playing when he makes the speech. None of that means this offense can't work. It might very well be the best thing for Ben in the long run. We'll find out more when the Steelers play bigger games against better competition.

Since our chat, the Steelers have turned in two efficient offensive performances. Ben continues to stay clean. The offense is growing on me. It appears to be growing on Ben, as well. Maybe we'll look back and say this was like when Phil Jackson introduced the Triangle offense to Michael Jordan. There was much resistance at first. Eventually, Jordan realized the Triangle was best for him and the team -- and he especially liked that he could toss it aside at winning time and simply do what came naturally. Ben appears to have some of that same freedom in 'Haley's offense.'

So much has yet to play out.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/788bd0f1-c6e6-4076-a1a2-64948b2ff77a/?source=twitter

Bluecoat96
10-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Just think of the possibilities for the offense when Ben has mastered it. We WILL be scary good. As ben goes, so does the offense.

tube517
10-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Anyone is resistant to change but he is passing more now. Isn't that what he wants? Ben himself said it was fun passing to everyone. I'm so tired of these articles waiting for a time bomb

Craic
10-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Dang - that Starkey article was actually pretty good, and it makes a lot of sense. Ben not sure about the new offense, Ben saying (without malice) to go ask the guy calling the plays, that all sounds about like what I would expect.

Even better - this sounds like a reporter actually reporting, rather than making news.

Seven
10-30-2012, 11:37 PM
I think Haley is doing a good job. But I don't necessarily think he's doing a better job than Bruce Arians did, just doing it in a different way. The only concern I have thus far about Haley's play selection is in his situational play calling. But that's really more of a personal preference than a true gripe. I think it was time for a change and Haley was a solid choice. I don't think there is any question that this style of offense is keeping Ben off the ground.

Craic
11-03-2012, 03:27 PM
I think Haley is doing a good job. But I don't necessarily think he's doing a better job than Bruce Arians did, just doing it in a different way. The only concern I have thus far about Haley's play selection is in his situational play calling. But that's really more of a personal preference than a true gripe. I think it was time for a change and Haley was a solid choice. I don't think there is any question that this style of offense is keeping Ben off the ground.

Look at non-defense oriented numbers, things such as the time it takes to get the ball out of Ben's hands, the number of times he's willing to throw what looks like planned dump passes, etc. All of those things lead me to believe that either 1. The Arians/Ben friendship hurt Arians's ability to demand Ben get rid of the ball faster, or 2. Arians's offense was week in that area.

As I've said before, I think Arians took Ben as far as he could. Honestly, I think Haley/Ben three or four years ago would have been a disaster. Ben was still walking around with the cocksure "Big Ben" attitude that even he admits he had. Arians saw him through that, and now Haley can take him to the next level.

So yeah, at this point in time, I'd have to say a better job than Arians would have done, but that's because development wise, Ben couldn't go any further with Arians. It turned out to be the perfect time for a change.

Chidi29
11-03-2012, 05:33 PM
I don't know if it had much to do with friendships/trust/all that. It's more of a philosophy change.

Arians ran more of a Don Coryell system (deep route in almost every play, as backed up by Mike Wallace's claim of running "five go routes per game"). Haley is a lot more conservative than that, obviously. Wallace said that he has run eight go routes all year.

Craic
11-03-2012, 08:12 PM
I don't know if it had much to do with friendships/trust/all that. It's more of a philosophy change.

Arians ran more of a Don Coryell system (deep route in almost every play, as backed up by Mike Wallace's claim of running "five go routes per game"). Haley is a lot more conservative than that, obviously. Wallace said that he has run eight go routes all year.

Maybe - But I'm still wondering about how often Ben is hitting the outlet receivers, both planned and unplanned. I do think there's a little more "You will do this unless it is absolutely necessary" going on this year.