PDA

View Full Version : Matt Leinart: Has Whisenhunt's Confidence

polamalubeast
07-25-2010, 12:41 PM
http://www.rotowire.com/Matt-Leinart-googid190648-spnfl.htm

Matt Leinart: Has Whisenhunt's Confidence - 7/25/2010 7:55:30 AM

Update:
Cards head coach Ken Whisenhunt said that he still believes in Leinart's ability to be a good quarterback, the Arizona Republic reports.

Recommendation:
"A lot of times people say Matt couldn't play because he couldn't beat out Kurt [Warner]," Whisenhunt said. "I don't subscribe to that. I've seen Matt grow tremendously over the last couple years, partially because he learned from Kurt and from how Kurt prepared. That's a natural progression in this league. Matt understands what he has to do now to be successful. Matt has earned the right to be the quarterback of this football team, and he's going to get the opportunity to see where he goes from that position." Perhaps it's because of the loss of Anquan Boldin during the offseason, but fantasy owners' faith in Leinart as a viable weekly option appears to be very limited as we approach training camp. According to his Mock Draft Central Average Draft Position, Leinart is the 27th quarterback coming off the board in most drafts, well behind the likes of Kyle Orton (19th), Alex Smith (23rd) and even Byron Leftwich (25th), who doesn't even project as a starter for the full season once Ben Roethlisberger returns from suspension. If he's paired with one of the more reliable options at the position, it's highly unlikely that he'll hurt your team this season and there's a decent chance you'll be able to trade him if he can exceed the low expectations.

polamalubeast
07-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Arizona Cardinals' Ken Whisenhunt excited for 2010 season
17 commentsby Kent Somers - Jul. 24, 2010 05:35 PM
The Arizona Republic

The Cardinals have won two consecutive NFC West titles but hardly anyone is expecting them to do it again. Quarterback Kurt Warner retired. Receiver Anquan Boldin was traded. There likely will be at least five new starters on defense.

But coach Ken Whisenhunt didn't look worried when he sat down with Republic beat writer Kent Somers last week to talk about his team, which opens training camp on Friday in Flagstaff.

Slideshow profile: Ken Whisenhunt

Question: What are the benefits of going away for training camp, other than avoiding the heat and concentrating on football?

Answer: I think when you're living with somebody, when you're around each other as much as we are in training camp - almost to the point where you get sick of each other - there is a lot of downtime you get to spend. Whether it's playing video games, or cards, or just hanging out. One of the interesting dynamics for me is watching the guys in the dining room. Who sits with who and how those little groups form. You wouldn't have those things happening if you weren't together in a place like that.

Q: What's the best thing about training in Flagstaff?

A: You get the benefits of altitude, which helps you get in shape, without the detriment of extreme heat. What's ingrained in your head is that you've got to "get tough" in training camp. You have to fight through the heat. Well, the heat is not an issue in Flagstaff. What I found is when we come back to the Valley, we're in outstanding shape.

Q: Your first year, did you have doubts about going up there?

A: I did because I didn't think it was hot enough and wondered if it would make us tough enough. (Laughs).

Q: Speaking of tough camps, what's the over-under in terms of days before a reporter implies you're having a "soft" camp?

A: Well, if we can have the kind of success we had last year after having a "soft" camp I'm all for it. If you really pay attention to what's going on in training camp, the guys are getting enough hitting and they're getting enough of the fundamental football. You have the fine line you have to walk, so you're not putting them at risk of injury and you're not wearing them out. It's a long season.

Q: What's the best thing you did on vacation this summer?

A: The best I did? Nothing. That was the best thing I did, having nothing to do. When you look back over the off-season, there was a lot going on. Right after the playoffs you start getting into free agency and as soon as that hit - with Kurt's retirement and losing players in free agency, trading Anquan - it's been a scramble. There were a lot of moving parts, more so than in a normal off-season.

Q: When you pack for Flagstaff, what's the personal item you can't do without?

A: Definitely my pillow. I'm funny about that. If I don't have the right kind of pillow, I have a hard time sleeping.

Q: Is that a result of football injuries?

A: Maybe it's from being neurotic.

Q: You going to allow players to ride Segways at camp again this year?

A: Yeah, because Antrel (Rolle), who was the worst driver, the one who had the most accidents, is not here. Our driving record should be better.

Q: With Kurt Warner gone, will this offense look more like everyone expected it to look when you came here in 2007?

A: I don't know. I think that's going to be determined a lot by what happens in training camp, how our line comes together, how Beanie (Wells) and Tim (Hightower), how that dynamic works, how our receivers are doing. I think we obviously want to have a more balanced offense. I think we made great improvements in our run game and that showed up in the latter half of the season. That helped us in all other areas. If we can run the football effectively, then it's going to make it much harder to defend Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Breaston and Early Doucet. And we're still going to do a lot of the things we did with Kurt, because we've become good at doing those things and we're talented at those positions.

Q: We've gone through a number of questions without asking about Matt Leinart taking over for Warner. Did we establish an off-season record?

A: Yeah, it is, which is good. Usually that's the lead question.

Q: Numerous people are asking, "Why doesn't Whisenhunt come out and say Leinart is the answer?" How do you respond to that?

A: Do I believe in Matt? Yeah, I believe Matt can play. Matt wouldn't still be here if I didn't believe Matt could play the position and be a good quarterback.

A lot of times people say Matt couldn't play because he couldn't beat out Kurt. I don't subscribe to that. I've seen Matt grow tremendously over the last couple years, partially because he learned from Kurt and from how Kurt prepared. That's a natural progression in this league. Matt understands what he has to do now to be successful.

Matt has earned the right to be the quarterback of this football team, and he's going to get the opportunity to see where he goes from that position.

Q: What players do you think grew a lot this off-season?

A: Early Doucet is a guy who has benefitted greatly from John Lott's program. I think Greg Toler is going to benefit. Sometimes the off-season is good for you in terms of being stronger, faster. But it's also great from the standpoint of getting the respect of your teammates. That's where your confidence can go up. There is a lot that you get out of working together in that period of time.

Q: What positions are you most curious about in terms of saying, "We really need someone to emerge?"

A: You want to see how the secondary plays out. You want to see how Kerry Rhodes and Adrian Wilson continue to jell. We've got the competition at the cornerback position. Our inside linebacker is going to be one in which we have to see who fits in where. The fourth receiver, who that is going to be?

There are no real other positions. I'm just kidding. The quarterback, how Matt continues to grow into that position and how Derek (Anderson) can learn the offense and compete. It seems like there is intrigue at about every other position.

Q: Few people are picking you to win the NFC West. You like that?

A: Well, it doesn't bother me. Our guys understand it's the way it's going to be and we seem to play better when we have that edge or that chip on our shoulders. It's not really any different than what we're used to.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2010/07/24/20100724arizona-cardinals-ken-whisenhunt-interview.html#ixzz0uiWBY0it

tony hipchest
07-25-2010, 01:05 PM
whiz is a damn good coach and i expect matt to be fine. expect them to focus on the run much more this year, (steelers and cardinals are almost in mirror image situations) and beanie wells to possibly have a break out season, like how shonn green did last year.

steelerdude15
07-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Well the fans aren't too pleased with him nor are the journalist in Arizona.