PDA

View Full Version : Dwyer

GBMelBlount
10-21-2012, 11:01 PM
Dwyer played well.

I hope they utilize him more.

His running style really complements Mendy's imo.

Shoes
10-21-2012, 11:03 PM
I do too GB....I wish him all the best! Boy I wish he would have made a TD on that late long run!

fansince'76
10-21-2012, 11:05 PM
I noticed the Bus' patented "head shake" after that last long run of his. :chuckle:

Steeltreal
10-21-2012, 11:07 PM
he throws a great block once in a while too

- - - Updated - - -

he throws a great block once in a while too

Devilsdancefloor
10-21-2012, 11:10 PM
last run my son and i jumped out of our seats he screams run fat man run! He does have a bit of a nasty streak in him.

Iron Steeler
10-21-2012, 11:14 PM
last run my son and i jumped out of our seats he screams run fat man run! He does have a bit of a nasty streak in him.

lol we said they same thing in our household

zulater
10-22-2012, 05:48 AM
I didn't realize this before, but apparently Dwyer was sat the last two games not because of injuries, ( which is what I believed) but because of his fumble against the Raiders. This pisses me off. First off the fumble against the Raiders wasn't that egrecious on his part in my opinion. He was hit 2 yards deep in the backfield, almost as soon he got the ball ( if memory serves me correctly) and prior to that I don't remember him carrying the ball carelessly play after play. Secondly by being so punitive against Dwyer Tomlin in effect likely cost us the game against the Titans. In that game on the Steelers final possession, on the 2nd and 6 play that Barron Batch lost two yards on, he ( Batch) ran to the wrong hole! Had he gone where he was supposed to he would have probably gained first down yardage, or close enough to it that the Steelers next play call would have been much easiar. I think Dwyer almost certainly would have gone to the right hole on that play.

Anyway nice job of cutting off your nose to spite your face coach. :frusty:

polamalubeast
10-22-2012, 06:02 AM
I didn't realize this before, but apparently Dwyer was sat the last two games not because of injuries, ( which is what I believed) but because of his fumble against the Raiders. This pisses me off. First off the fumble against the Raiders wasn't that egrecious on his part in my opinion. He was hit 2 yards deep in the backfield, almost as soon he got the ball ( if memory serves me correctly) and prior to that I don't remember him carrying the ball carelessly play after play. Secondly by being so punitive against Dwyer Tomlin in effect likely cost us the game against the Titans. In that game on the Steelers final possession, on the 2nd and 6 play that Barron Batch lost two yards on, he ( Batch) ran to the wrong hole! Had he gone where he was supposed to he would have probably gained first down yardage, or close enough to it that the Steelers next play call would have been much easiar. I think Dwyer almost certainly would have gone to the right hole on that play.

I understand your point, but at the same time, Tom Coughlin has done the same thing with David Wilson(first round pick in 2012) after his fumble against the Cowboys in week one

Even Andre Brown has more carries that Wilson!

bayz101
10-22-2012, 06:02 AM
We have a lot of young blood in the running back stable, and quite honestly, I expect mistakes out of everyone except for Mendenhall and Redman. I was fully anticipating some mistakes on the field today with all of the young backs, and it didn't happen. That's awesome. As far as Dwyer goes, he fumbled in Oakland, and i'm sure he spent a couple of weeks carrying a football around like a sack of flour in a parenting class. Nothing wrong with that at all, either. I'm certainly not going to say having him in the game in ANY situation after his fumble would have been a game-changer.

That's a far-fetched thought. You don't give a young running back who's already coughed it up the football near the goal-line. I think Mike Tomlin knows what he's doing.

Pristas
10-22-2012, 07:55 AM
His low center of gravity and HUGE thighs make him incredibly difficult to wrap up. Guys get an arm around him, but that is nowhere near being enough. I really like this kid. He has great vision and really gets after the hole.

On a side note, Rainey didn't do a bad job either. Unfortunately, I think we've seen the last of Batch with this team. He just isn't nearly as good as the other guys. Not big enough, not strong enough, not fast enough.

Moose
10-22-2012, 08:20 AM
I noticed the Bus' patented "head shake" after that last long run of his. :chuckle:

LMAO....yea, I noticed that right away also and thought it was awesome he did that....kind of brought alittle bit of BUS back to us. I thought his running was great and hopefully he'll be regular feature for us. Sorry, but Mendy just doesn't do it for me. He's getting too injury prone and inconsistent.

Austin87
10-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Dwyer really surprised me, breaking tackles left and right.

polamalubeast
10-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Steelers rushed for 133 yds between the tackles in win vs Bengals (7.8 yds/rush). PIT had 151 such yards in 1st 5 games (2.7 yds/rush).

steelpride12
10-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Not only did his performance last night truly impress me, but it did because he did it against a banged up line. Legursky is a great back up center, I agree, but Adams got beat plenty last night and Dywer was still able to create plays and gain positive yards. It wasn't perfection and 1 game does not seal your fait, but I believe he can be worthy to be the #2 guy behind Mendy.

GodfatherofSoul
10-22-2012, 10:04 AM
He started out running like his laces were tied together. Remember when he fell flat on his face trying to juke that DB on the long run up the middle? Started looking great in the end. I guess he's one of those rhythm RBs.

Craic
10-22-2012, 05:13 PM

Gotta disagree - and I point to Mendenhall as my example. He got benched because he wasn't ready for a game mentally. It shook him up, and took him to another level. In the same way, did you see the way Dwyer held on to the ball last night? There were a few hits that I would have sworn he should lost the ball, but his ball security was great. I think ignoring the fumbles to hopefully win the next game or two (don't forget, we had our starters coming back as well) is very shortsighted. This move was for the future, and may have really helped a young player realize that he needs to control the ball.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to see the Bus give him a call and do a little 'edumacation" on how to be a good "big guy running back." It could do nothing but help. Then again, if he's giving the little headshake, maybe that call has already been made?

Steelermania
10-22-2012, 05:22 PM
After the fumble, Tomlin decided to give Batch a chance, which i had no problem with. When Mendy came back, someone had to sit, as we only dress 4 tailbacks. Batch plays on special teams, and Dwyer doesn't. People are sure ready to toss Redman out with the trash after Dwyer has one good game. I'd like to see Redman get some of the holes Dwyer and Rainey got last night.

Psycho Ward 86
10-22-2012, 06:18 PM
I still love me some Redman as depth. Mendenhall, Dwyer, Redman, Rainey with DJ plowing the path sounds damn good to me for next season.

GBMelBlount
10-22-2012, 07:47 PM

I completely agree. Dwyer playing could have made a difference in the last two games. Then again, maybe not. We will never know.

Regardless, I am of the same opinion as you on this.

zulater
10-22-2012, 08:22 PM
I completely agree. Dwyer playing could have made a difference in the last two games. Then again, maybe not. We will never know.

Regardless, I am of the same opinion as you on this.

After giving it some more thought I disagree with myself. Sort of. :chuckle:

I actually don't think Dwyer was left off the active roster for fumbling. Tomlin may have hinted at it to the press and or to Dwyer to drive home a point to the player or the team. But the real reason he wasn't activated was strictly numbers related. To wit, the games he was inactive for Mendenhall and Redman both were healthy for. So you got your top two backs there. Rainey is more or less being groomed for Mewelde Moore's old job as the eventual 3rd down back. Plus he's the teams primary kick returner. So he gets a spot. So it comes down to Batch or Dwyer. Batch is a big part of the special teams. I think he's on the field for every kick of any kind. Dwyer as far as I know doesn't do much if anything on special teams. And you're already carrying a fullback. So how many backs can you activate for a game?

So in the end it was just the fact that Mendy and Redman were both full go at the start of those two games that kept Dwyer off the active roster imo.

GBMelBlount
10-22-2012, 10:02 PM
After giving it some more thought I disagree with myself. Sort of. :chuckle:

I actually don't think Dwyer was left off the active roster for fumbling.

You bitch! lol