PDA

View Full Version : We still have a long road ahead. . .

Craic
10-21-2012, 10:58 PM
But it's sure nice to see the team taking the first few steps tonight. A few things I noticed.

Three players grew up tonight.

1. Jonathon Dwyer. Hundred plus yard game rushing. They were for the most part, hard yards as well. He went in hard, hit hard, and kept his feet moving. He's not going to be the bus. But I do think he's going to have a future with us when we need someone to come in and grind out wins - and also hit a few runs for us. Nice job Dwyer.

2. Keenan Lewis. That is how you come in and play the number 2 CB position. Nice job. Nothing flashy, nothing that will headlines, but a good solid effort that made everyone else's job easier.

3. Ben Roethlisberger. Wait - how I put him here? I think tonight he took the final step in being a team leader. Here's why I say that. He called a team meeting (offense) and told them that it was the offenses job to put the game away. No more depending on the defense. Then, he takes them out there tonight, and leads them to do that very thing. What happens? The one time when they really need the defense to respond, they get a three and out, Ben gets the ball back, and we win the game. Oh, and don't forget, we win with Dwyer pounding the ball. Nice job Ben. I think you've just about pushed LeBeau out in become "Team Dad" with that move.

Players that woke up tonight.

1. Hey, Ike T. When you play ball like that, people won't talk about you, except for the good things.

2. Willie Colon. That's what we call a dominating performance in every aspect of the game.

3. Defense. In truth, 10 points can be blamed on the defense. Given the ball to the Bengals deep in our own zone is not something I'll pin on our D. So it was very nice to see remnants and reminders of our old "D" stepping up tonight. We need a lot more of it, a lot more often. But it was nice to see.

Shout outs.

Hey - Casey . . . What happened? Thought you saw a hamburger in the backfield? Nice stop for a loss.

Keisel - So THAT's what it looks like when you want to play football. Nice to see it again. Let's keep it up.

Starks, Legursky, and Foster - what a great game from the three of you. Adams, a rookie mistake cost a sack, or helped cost a sack. But still not a bad game either.

There's others, but these guys all stood out either throughout the game, on one play, or they didn't stand out, which is why they stood out (Lewis, Starks, etc).
Now we just need to see this consistantly, with even more push and please, for the love of the Chief, get a little hungry. Except for you Hampton. Stay away from the fridge.

BlastFurnace
10-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Good post Preacher. Keenan is getting better. Dwyer looks better than Redman does (although I do think that Redman is playing hurt).

They must, as Tomlin will say, start stacking wins.

Shoes
10-21-2012, 11:17 PM
Nice post Preach!!

polamalubeast
10-21-2012, 11:21 PM
great post!

Mamaduck43
10-22-2012, 02:16 AM
I felt a 'joy' watching the game tonight that I haven't felt in a while.... It was like all of a sudden everyone got their s*it together and it was working.... It made me smile!!!!

stillers4me
10-22-2012, 05:25 AM
I felt a 'joy' watching the game tonight that I haven't felt in a while.... It was like all of a sudden everyone got their s*it together and it was working.... It made me smile!!!!

You should have been there at the game! Bengals fans get real mouthy when they are ahead ...but when they are losing they get REAL quiet!

GBMelBlount
10-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Preacher

3. Ben Roethlisberger. Wait - how I put him here?

I think tonight he took the final step in being a team leader. Here's why I say that. He called a team meeting (offense) and told them that it was the offenses job to put the game away. No more depending on the defense.

Then, he takes them out there tonight, and leads them to do that very thing. What happens? The one time when they really need the defense to respond, they get a three and out, Ben gets the ball back, and we win the game. Oh, and don't forget, we win with Dwyer pounding the ball. Nice job Ben. I think you've just about pushed LeBeau out in become "Team Dad" with that move.

My thoughts EXACTLY.

While our 4th quarter "D" made the difference last night we have almost all of the pieces to be putting up 30 points per game and putting the games out of reach.

If our line gels and our stable of backs is healthy Ben has the weapons to rack up 30+ points per game.

tihmtahm
10-22-2012, 06:54 AM
I would add Miller to the shout outs. His blocking and big catches really made the difference.

Pristas
10-22-2012, 07:49 AM
I would add Miller to the shout outs. His blocking and big catches really made the difference.

true story.

Angina
10-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Nice post!

Casey Hampton: "Is that?.....Is that a burger back there??......BOOM! I'm on it!!!" :lol:

Moose
10-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Good post Preacher....kinda surprised you didn't comment on Wallace though.

Craic
10-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Good post Preacher....kinda surprised you didn't comment on Wallace though.

This was about being positive. Wallace had his issues last night.

I would have, but really, Miller was just being Miller. There was no improvement in his game, no "playing harder" than he normally does . . . because he "Brings his lunch pale" every day.

Nice post!

Casey Hampton: "Is that?.....Is that a burger back there??......BOOM! I'm on it!!!" :lol:

Yep, my thoughts EXACTLY!

(BTW - Owners of the board, I LOVE the automerge. May laziness reign supreme - though how am I supposed to post whore in the game thread?)

steelpride12
10-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Excellent write up on Lewis and I agree! I think the kid just needs experience and time will put him into fit form and it looks like that is coming together. Yes the Bungles don't have a legit #2 receiver, but Lewis made a couple stand out plays that I know the coached and players noticed. Hats off to Lewis.

GodfatherofSoul
10-23-2012, 10:14 AM
This 4 game stretch is make-or-break. If we can go 3-1 we're back in it. 2-2 we're still looking on the outside. Have to win the "must win" games against the Redskins and Chiefs. I'll call the Giants away game a loss. Also have to get our Baltimore win at home. That puts us at 7-4 and right back in it with 3 more games in Ohio after that.