PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still believe Mike Wallace is worth the money?

Edman
10-21-2012, 08:37 PM
And that he's better than Antonio Brown? Please enlighten me.

One 80-yard catch a game isn't worth it.

Carolina Steelers
10-21-2012, 09:02 PM
And that he's better than Antonio Brown? Please enlighten me.

One 80-yard catch a game isn't worth it.

I agree he needs more then 1 bomb a game he did miss those 2 but still without wallace i believe brown would be less then what he is now. Wallace does attract attention and allows brown to work underneath. He's not worth what he was asking but who would you want instead I dont think Sanders is the answer yet.

Troy43
10-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Browns better in my opinion, but wallace is really, reaaaallly good. He's havin a tough game now.

BlastFurnace
10-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Nope. He's good at catching Bubble Screens and Bombs. Nothing much over the middle though. I think Sanders could fill his shoes next year.

What I did like seeing was after Wallace's first drop, he was smiling coming off the field and Tomlin approached him and you saw the smile leave Wallace's face.

Wallace is a good receiver, but he's not worth what he thinks he is worth.

Devilsdancefloor
10-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Nope. He's good at catching Bubble Screens and Bombs. Nothing much over the middle though. I think Sanders could fill his shoes next year.

What I did like seeing was after Wallace's first drop, he was smiling coming off the field and Tomlin approached him and you saw the smile leave Wallace's face.

Wallace is a good receiver, but he's not worth what he thinks he is worth.

My son said after his first drop what the heck is he smiling about (and he is about the biggest wallace fan around), then he seen coach T come over and said something like you telling him coach T lol

I really think the tape isout on the one trick pony and the steelers put their money on the right WR

steelerdude15
10-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Before we write Mike off and say he needs to leave, lets see how the rest of the season plays out. Who knows, he could blow up and do great for the rest of the season starting next week.

BlastFurnace
10-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Before we write Mike off and say he needs to leave, lets see how the rest of the season plays out. Who knows, he could blow up and do great for the rest of the season starting next week.

Need to hope tonight was simply a bad game.

steelerdude15
10-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Need to hope tonight was simply a bad game.

That and a bad start to the season. In all reality, he usually catches everything that is thrown to him.

Craic
10-21-2012, 11:56 PM
I could care less if he was or wasn't smiling. Hines Ward smiled after just about anything. He could have fumbled the ball on the one yard line, and watched as a DB took it 99 yards for a TD, and he'd come off the field smiling. I honestly don't care.

What has me worried, is that I think Wallace is too focused on the mechanics of catching the ball, instead of it just being natural. In other words, it's not flowing for him anymore - probably because he put himself under a lot of pressure to make a lot of catches for a big contract.

steel9guy
10-22-2012, 12:32 AM
Drops or no drops I think with the Haley horizontal passing game as opposed to Arians vertical, that Wallace is not needed. Antonio Brown is an all around guy who can go deep as well. Wallace is a good receiver but I'd rather put the money elsewhere.

steelreserve
10-22-2012, 12:50 AM
I don't think he was ever worth the $11M or so he was asking. Tonight was just one bad game, though. Hard to use that as a definitive statement unless there's a pattern of it.

Overall, his start to the season has been just so-so, and he's disappeared in a lot of games. That's pretty easy to figure out - dude skipped practice all offseason and preseason while he was bitching about money. Oh, and they put an entire new offense in too while he was doing that. Is it any wonder he's struggling? While people were focused on the OMG of the holdout, it's like everyone forgot that practicing with the team is pretty important to your success. Trying to just show up and wing it is not a great strategy. This is one of those "duh" things, or should have been.

Steeldude
10-22-2012, 01:30 AM
I have been saying this for more than a season. Wallace's fundamentals are poor on a good day. He is unable to routinely catch passes with just his hands. That should be the highest priority for a WR. The guy can only cradle-catch. His routes need work also.

So again I say, is that worth $11,000,000 a year? To me he is worth about $1,000,000 per season, tops.

- - - Updated - - -

Tonight was just one bad game, though. Hard to use that as a definitive statement unless there's a pattern of it.

Overall, his start to the season has been just so-so, and he's disappeared in a lot of games. That's pretty easy to figure out - dude skipped practice all offseason and preseason while he was bitching about money. Oh, and they put an entire new offense in too while he was doing that. Is it any wonder he's struggling? While people were focused on the OMG of the holdout, it's like everyone forgot that practicing with the team is pretty important to your success. Trying to just show up and wing it is not a great strategy. This is one of those "duh" things, or should have been.

He has many poor games.

Skipping practice etc... doesn't explain his severe lack of fundamentals

Pristas
10-22-2012, 08:31 AM
I'm glad that he didn't sign that 10 million a year contract he was offered. Now the front office can cut that in half. He's still a good receiver, close to being as good as Brown, and definitely worth having as a Steeler. But his true worth was revealed to all tonight. Fitz, C. Johnson, A. Johnson, Greene, heck even Brown wouldn't drop half of those balls he was thrown.

NCSteeler
10-22-2012, 08:32 AM
I think Wallace is obviously not in the elite category at this point, my real ? is Brown looking so much better because Wallace is drawing the coverage. If Wallace wants his payday, from us or anyone, he is going to have to start making those catches, the elite WRs don't miss the gimme catches that clobber you in the hands and body while your wide open.

GBMelBlount
10-22-2012, 08:34 AM
Wallace is an excellent receiver and he scores touchdowns...

I think what it comes down to is whether he is worth $10 or $11 million a year to us.

With Brown locked up long term, Sanders having lots of upside and Cotchery being solid, I personally don't believe he is.

But I am not going to hang him for 1 bad game.

Edman
10-22-2012, 08:38 AM
The Classic Mike Wallace excuse. He's getting double-teamed and drawing coverage. This year is proof that this isn't the case.

Mike Wallace isn't a terrible WR. He's actually pretty decent. The problem is that WR's with Mike's average skills are a dime a dozen, and those guys aren't asking for big time money. An 80-yard sprint catch every so often and nothing else really isn't worth it. The only thing Wallace has going for him is his STRAIGHT LINE speed (Not Agility), and that doesn't last forever.

fansince'76
10-22-2012, 08:58 AM
My son said after his first drop what the heck is he smiling about (and he is about the biggest wallace fan around)...

I call it the "Mark Malone Syndrome," because that worthless turd would often come running off the field laughing after throwing a pick (which he threw more of than anything else). :mad2:

Austin87
10-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Wallace didn't have a good game, of those 4 dropped catches 3 were relatively easy. Could have cost us the game.

Moose
10-22-2012, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=Preacher;324788]I could care less if he was or wasn't smiling. Hines Ward smiled after just about anything. He could have fumbled the ball on the one yard line, and watched as a DB took it 99 yards for a TD, and he'd come off the field smiling. I honestly don't care.

I definitely disagree with this. Unless you have some video, Hines wouldn't be smiling on a fumble that resulted in a TD for the opponent. I hate seeing a player smiling after a screw up, and apparently Tomlin does also. Now, as far as Wallace goes, I'm hoping he just had a bad game. I hate to think he has the 'drops' this bad, if so, then his worth took some 'drops' too. Maybe make a RB out of him, that way Ben is handing him the ball and we can still benefit from his speed. His reliability now scares the hell out me..... scenario- game on line, Wallace in the open down field, do you throw to him ? Or look for Heath or Brown even though covered ?

smokin3000gt
10-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Yes Wally had a bad game but it hasn't been just this game either. He's been dropping crucial passes (3rd downs/wide open for TD/endzone drops) every game this season most of them easy with the ball on his hands or him being wide open.

Watching him last night he doesn't look like a Steeler to me. I'm not just saying that because of drops either. He looks like a diva that is afraid to get hit. I wonder if that's not partly to blame. Obviously no one wants to get hit but you see the other guys on the roster getting everything they can. He's a good receiver with a lot of potential but not nearly as elite as he thinks he is in his own mind. It's my opinion but between the way he handled his contract ''negotiations'' and on field performance he doesn't fit the mold.

Moose
10-22-2012, 10:43 AM
I agree with you smokin on Wallace not being a Steeler. I think the contract negotiations and hold out hurt him more than he realizes. The organization doesn't take kindly to some of that action and now his 'dropsies' can be icing on cake. It will be interesting to see his play the remaining games, his catches, his drops, and how many times he's thrown to. I'm not betting on whether he's around next season. Could be trade bait.

Psycho Ward 86
10-22-2012, 10:56 AM
well that depends Edman. Do you honestly think any team is legitimately afraid of our vertical passing game without Wallace? Do you honestly think Sanders can turn it up from taking advantage of #3 cornerbacks and putting up 20-40 yards a game to being a legitimate #2?

st33lersguy
10-22-2012, 10:57 AM
4 drops for Limas Wallace? Another pass that could have reasonably been called a drop? At this point he is the 3rd best WR on this team, and anyone who spends a good deal of money are in for a huge dissappointment

BlastFurnace
10-22-2012, 11:03 AM
well that depends Edman. Do you honestly think any team is legitimately afraid of our vertical passing game without Wallace? Do you honestly think Sanders can turn it up from taking advantage of #3 cornerbacks and putting up 20-40 yards a game to being a legitimate #2?

Just Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery...no.

If Wallace is let go, they will need to bring in a solid #4.

Besides, Sanders needs to prove he can stay healthy for an entire season.

Psycho Ward 86
10-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Just Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery...no.

If Wallace is let go, they will need to bring in a solid #4.

Besides, Sanders needs to prove he can stay healthy for an entire season.

not sure if sarcastic after that 3rd line?

Moose
10-22-2012, 11:08 AM
If I was an opposing team I really don't think I would waste a player doubling up on Wallace until he became a threat. That is, actually catching the ball and scoring. AJ Green ( bungholes) is a threat, if you leave him wide open he'll catch and score. Green actually will extend his body to get the ball. That's why Green was double covered Sunday night. If he's having trouble catching, then use his speed in the RB position.

Edman
10-22-2012, 11:22 AM

I don't know for sure when Wallace is gone. All I know is Wallace is supposedly demanding big-time money, when he's not playing like a big-time receiver. He's our #2 Receiver, but he wants #1 Money.

In four years we're still waiting for that moment where Wallace takes over a game and the opponent legitimately has to gameplan for him that doesn't involve "drop everyone deep". I'm not talking about 80-yard sprint catches. I'm talking 7-10 Catch 100+ Yard performances. Not 5 catch performances with his his biggest catch being a 60 yarder and a bunch of drops alongside it.

It's the little things (Blocking, Nads, Clutch, Effort) that seperate the Elite from the Good. The stuff that seperates Jerry Rices from the Randy Mosses. Mike Wallace right now still lacks the little things. Hines Ward was hardly the greatest athletic specimen in Pittsburgh, but he's now a legend because he did everything else right.

polamalubeast
10-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Yesterday it was just a bad game for Wallace

He had a good start to the season but he has struggled in two of his last three games, but I'm not worried

I believe that he will have a big game against the redskins

X-Terminator
10-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Personally, I agree with what Preacher said. Wallace is putting so much pressure on himself to make plays in order to justify a big contract that he is losing focus on the task at hand, which leads to dropped passes. He needs to regain his focus, because dropping passes like he did last night is unacceptable. That said, I'm not going to hang the guy or basically say he sucks because of a performance like that. That is just ignorant, because everyone here knows that is not the case.

As for the money, he still has 10 games to prove his worth. Hopefully he does regain his focus, because this offense is MUCH more lethal when he is on his game.

steelreserve
10-22-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm also starting to wonder whether some of his problems are being caused by being nervous because of the pressure to earn a big contract ... or hesitant because he's afraid of getting hurt in a contract year. In any case, neither of those are ways to earn a big contract. His value is going down with every game.

Unfortunately, someone will probably still give him the $11M based on his first two seasons, and how disappointed they are after that is irrelevant. All his poor performance is doing is bringing down the amount we're willing to pay, without affecting what Dan Snyder will pay. So we can probably kiss him goodbye.

Mamaduck43
10-22-2012, 11:38 AM
What I have noticed about Wallace, both last season after the half-way point, and this season so far is that he doesn't seem to 'extend' himself to make the play.... But what I saw last night was really distressing - - - even when hit on the numbers, he couldn't hold on.... And, good grief, if he had reached 8" further a couple of times, he would have had a legit attempt at making a game changing catch.... He is not trying - - and that is quite noticeable, when our replacement receivers are doing their darnedest to earn a starting position when the injured return to the game.... I wanted to reach into my TV to slap that grin off of his face.... Hines' grins were never self-promoting - - they were intimidating to the other team..... Wallace's grin after the drop seemed to be an 'oh well - - shit happens' kind.... He deserved Tomlin's wrath, and he should have warmed the bench for a few plays to let it sink in....

Even half of the training camp time would have been beneficial to him - - no way is he worth what he thinks he is worth, unless he starts performing in a big money way.....

polamalubeast
10-22-2012, 11:43 AM
I'm also starting to wonder whether some of his problems are being caused by being nervous because of the pressure to earn a big contract ... or hesitant because he's afraid of getting hurt in a contract year. In any case, neither of those are ways to earn a big contract. His value is going down with every game.

Unfortunately, someone will probably still give him the $11M based on his first two seasons, and how disappointed they are after that is irrelevant. All his poor performance is doing is bringing down the amount we're willing to pay, without affecting what Dan Snyder will pay. So we can probably kiss him goodbye.

2 words:franchise TAG!!!!

steelreserve
10-22-2012, 11:47 AM
That's the other thing about the smiling. There's no comparison at all to the way Ward did it. You'd see Ward come off the field smiling after a bad play, but you could tell he was just pretending not to be PISSED. Wallace was more like "ah well fuck it, it don't bother me, I'm going out to the club later." I was pretty nonplussed.

ALLD
10-22-2012, 11:58 AM
He has not been in sync with Ben all season and we are finished with 6 games. Bottom line is if you do not have good hands, then you are not reliable over the long run. He has been a drive killer.

Iron Steeler
10-22-2012, 12:08 PM
I by no means am saying get rid of him. I am just saying he is not worth Larry Fitz money. And if next off season if him and his agent try to pull the same stunt I would love to show them this game tape.

Franchise Tag yo ass and shut up

Devilsdancefloor
10-22-2012, 01:14 PM
2 words:franchise TAG!!!!

i hope the not. i really think he isnt worth tag money. i think the steelers put their money on the right WR this off season. AB seems to do whatever ask of him. Ab is a better WR in his route running. id like to see Wallace and AB race. i think we would all be shocked

Pristas
10-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Someone said, "Wallace is waiting for Fitzgerald's money, while Brown is happy with Wallace's money." This off season it will be "Wallace is waiting for Fitzgerald's money, while Sanders is happy with Wallace's money." Throw in a couple late round WR picks and bam, we deal him away while the trade value is still there.

Carolina Steelers
10-22-2012, 02:04 PM
I agree with alot of what you guys are saying hes not worth the 11 million but, hes worth keeping on the team if you ask me i know he had a rough game and some guys do call him 1 trick pony but i know last game when he caught that bomb for 80yd and he did strecth for the pylon for the td nobody was complaining then we all loved him now a bad game and we want him off the team. Its hard to replace his stats from last 2 yrs 1,257 yds, then he had 1,193 last yr with 18 Td's total last 2 yrs. AB 3 Td's last 2 yrs including this yr just doesnt seem to find endzone enough for me, you could add 4 more to wallace counting this yr to make it 22 total. I would love to keep Wallace for the future, of course not @ 11 million but something could be worked out.

ALLD
10-22-2012, 02:27 PM
I would love to keep Wallace for the future, of course not @ 11 million but something could be worked out.

Apparently it has not been worked out and Wallace is off his game.

86WARD
10-22-2012, 02:55 PM
When will players (MJD, Wallace) learn that holding out NEVER gets them more money?

smokin3000gt
10-22-2012, 03:56 PM
I agree with alot of what you guys are saying hes not worth the 11 million but, hes worth keeping on the team if you ask me i know he had a rough game and some guys do call him 1 trick pony but i know last game when he caught that bomb for 80yd and he did strecth for the pylon for the td nobody was complaining then we all loved him now a bad game and we want him off the team. Its hard to replace his stats from last 2 yrs 1,257 yds, then he had 1,193 last yr with 18 Td's total last 2 yrs. AB 3 Td's last 2 yrs including this yr just doesnt seem to find endzone enough for me, you could add 4 more to wallace counting this yr to make it 22 total. I would love to keep Wallace for the future, of course not @ 11 million but something could be worked out.

I don't think anyone wants him off the team, we are just saying it's not worth 11mil to keep him. I think he's going to get better but we can only keep him if he doesn't price himself out of the market. It's his deal to lose.

Psycho Ward 86
10-22-2012, 04:15 PM
I wanted to reach into my TV to slap that grin off of his face.... Hines' grins were never self-promoting - - they were intimidating to the other team..... Wallace's grin after the drop seemed to be an 'oh well - - shit happens' kind.... He deserved Tomlin's wrath, and he should have warmed the bench for a few plays to let it sink in....

lol. we're analyzing grins now? We've seen Hines smile plenty of times (at inappropriate situations) after attempting to convert on 3rd down and failing. Oh is it ok because he's earned that right? Did that not piss you off because he's such a fan favorite? Hines is my favorite player. The 1st thing that came to my head when Wallace smiled is that he wants to be a little like Hines. Myabe he wants to be in Hines' likeness. Someone reading the end of that sentence is gonna say "Hines wouldnt hold out like Wallace did!" lol, well he did too. It's time to put your homerisms aside just because a guy isnt a fan favorite, particularly yours (that's directed to everyone, im not attacking you). Judge equally, think clearer, come back to reality. We all know so much less than we think we do :lol:

Count Steeler
10-22-2012, 04:36 PM
1 game a season does not make, nor a career. However, I never thought he, or any other WR is worth that kind of money, but this is the new NFL.

Will the Steelers pay that amount, still too soon to tell, but not likely.

Will some other team? You betcha!

steeldawg
10-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Yes he has dropped some balls but did anyone notice how open he was on those passes? I think hes going to put it together and will finish very strong. Also i would gladly take 1 80yd bomb per game that averages out to 16 tds and 1280yds lol pretty good.

zulater
10-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Wallace knows the league was watching him play last night in a stand alone game. So if he wants the money he was asking for he knows he has to redeem himself off that poor effort.

In other words it's up to him to perform better if he wants the big time money. Good luck to him. The better he does the better off the 2012 Steelers will be.

BigNastyDefense
10-22-2012, 08:40 PM
While I think he's an asset to this team and this offense, he's not the best receiver on the team. Antonio Brown is by far the best receiver on this team.

GodfatherofSoul
10-22-2012, 08:45 PM
I love Brown, but what does he look like without the threat of Wallace on the other side? I'm afraid if we don't keep him we'll find out that Brown can't be a productive #1 WR.

GBMelBlount
10-22-2012, 10:21 PM
I love Brown, but what does he look like without the threat of Wallace on the other side? I'm afraid if we don't keep him we'll find out that Brown can't be a productive #1 WR.

The intensity and focus with which Brown plays is unparalleled by any receiver in the nfl imo.

He does things that NO other receivers do.

Personally I think he would be successful with or without Wallace.

If wallace were gone I believe Ben would simply be utilizing Sanders and Cotchery that much more.

Ben makes it work with whoever he has.

steelpride12
10-23-2012, 08:21 AM
As of right now no, can things change, yes. Wallace was not at camp obviously, which leads to poor play because he did not get the adequate amount of reps needed to be in fit form. The season is young though and Wallace still has time to prove himself. Will it happen? Who knows truly, but there is one thing he must do, prove he still is not a stand alone deep threat only receiver and learn to make the small plays that make a huge difference in a game.

steelreserve
10-23-2012, 11:37 AM

People keep saying this. But what if it's really the other way around, and other receivers are/were helping Wallace as much as he was helping them? His first year, you had Hines Ward with over 1,000 receiving yards and Holmes with 1,200. His second year, Ward "only" had 750 yards, but overall it was not all that clear who the #1-#2-#3 receivers were for much of the season, so you got all kinds of different approaches by opposing defenses. Last year, teams keyed on him and he struggled for the entire second half of the season. This year, same thing.

Fact is, Wallace may only excel as a #2 specialty receiver. A lot about him is really still unknown, and you hear tons of talk about his theoretical upside. 4 years in, that's not necessarily a good thing. Brown we're sure is good, in any situation. If it came down to breaking the bank for Wallace or sacrificing at other positions where we're obviously hurting, I'd rather take my chances cutting him loose.

Psycho Ward 86
10-23-2012, 02:42 PM
People keep saying this. But what if it's really the other way around, and other receivers are/were helping Wallace as much as he was helping them? His first year, you had Hines Ward with over 1,000 receiving yards and Holmes with 1,200. His second year, Ward "only" had 750 yards, but overall it was not all that clear who the #1-#2-#3 receivers were for much of the season, so you got all kinds of different approaches by opposing defenses. Last year, teams keyed on him and he struggled for the entire second half of the season. This year, same thing.

Fact is, Wallace may only excel as a #2 specialty receiver. A lot about him is really still unknown, and you hear tons of talk about his theoretical upside. 4 years in, that's not necessarily a good thing. Brown we're sure is good, in any situation. If it came down to breaking the bank for Wallace or sacrificing at other positions where we're obviously hurting, I'd rather take my chances cutting him loose.

Last season Wallace was playing better than any receiver in the league through the 1st half. Then he disappeared. As soon as Wallace disappeared, Brown came out of nowhere and started tearing it up like nobody's business. Seems to me they play off of each other. A lot.

steeldawg
10-23-2012, 05:05 PM
The intensity and focus with which Brown plays is unparalleled by any receiver in the nfl imo.

He does things that NO other receivers do.

Personally I think he would be successful with or without Wallace.

If wallace were gone I believe Ben would simply be utilizing Sanders and Cotchery that much more.

Ben makes it work with whoever he has.

Wow maybe giving brown a little too much credit? I do not think brown can stretch the field like wallace, if you watch wallace even on his drops, he is wide open.

bayz101
10-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Wow maybe giving brown a little too much credit? I do not think brown can stretch the field like wallace, if you watch wallace even on his drops, he is wide open.

Mike Wallace was in man coverage on nearly 9-12 different occasions I EXCLUSIVELY watched him, and plenty of other times when I glanced. Brown was beating DB's and getting open without all the attention on Wallace, and he's done it before.

steeldawg
10-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Mike Wallace was in man coverage on nearly 9-12 different occasions I EXCLUSIVELY watched him, and plenty of other times when I glanced. Brown was beating DB's and getting open without all the attention on Wallace, and he's done it before.

I didnt say he couldnt get open i said he doesnt stretch the field like wallace.

Psycho Ward 86
10-23-2012, 06:55 PM
I didnt say he couldnt get open i said he doesnt stretch the field like wallace.

This. Without Wallace, everybody will probably still fear/respect our offense, but they wont really respect the deep threat aspect of it. Brown and Sanders are capable of going deep, but that's about it. "Capable." Safeties are going to start hunkering down and all of a sudden the short and intermediate routes are going to be under crowd control because that's what the rest of the receivers are best at.

Steeldude
10-23-2012, 11:32 PM
This. Without Wallace, everybody will probably still fear/respect our offense, but they wont really respect the deep threat aspect of it. Brown and Sanders are capable of going deep, but that's about it. "Capable." Safeties are going to start hunkering down and all of a sudden the short and intermediate routes are going to be under crowd control because that's what the rest of the receivers are best at.

Why not draft/pickup a fast WR next year? It doesn't matter what round or even if it's a FA. It would be cheaper. Wallace's only saving grace is his speed. Take away his speed and he is worthless.

HollywoodSteel
10-24-2012, 08:21 AM
I'm really rooting for Wallace to turn it around and my gut says he will. But I'll be honest, while watching the game I tensed up every time I saw Ben release the ball until I saw that the targeted receiver had an 8 on his jersey. Anyone else have the same reaction?

PalmerSteel
10-24-2012, 10:55 AM
wallace is awesome. just has dropsies lately and needs to improve by next game. brown is playing out of his mind. he seems so much more smarter. if we didnt have so much talent at the WR position (and heeeath), brown would be top 3-5 in recieving in the league. so glad we got him signed already. IMO jury still out for wallace if worth it for next year......

86WARD
10-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Brown seems smarter because he was in training camp. Wallace is still learning. Again, these NFL players will never learn that holding out gets you no more money...ask MJD.

lilyoder6
10-24-2012, 05:03 PM
shit happens, ppl have bad games... move on...

dont hear anyone bitching about calvin johnson after signing his huge ass contract, and how is his season going so far??

steelreserve
10-24-2012, 05:39 PM
shit happens, ppl have bad games... move on...

dont hear anyone bitching about calvin johnson after signing his huge ass contract, and how is his season going so far??

Uh ... he's on pace for over 100 catches and 1600 yards. So that's why nobody is bitching.

lilyoder6
10-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Uh ... he's on pace for over 100 catches and 1600 yards. So that's why nobody is bitching.

ok.. and the fact they are 2-5

PalmerSteel
10-25-2012, 07:04 PM

its the lions, and the more important fact, he's on the cover of madden ;)

steelreserve
10-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Did you see what happened to the Lions toward the end of last season? After their 5-0 start, they went 5-7. I think the explanation is that they're simply not very good, but people think they are because the hot start last year got everyone all excited.

Count Steeler
10-25-2012, 08:05 PM
its the lions, and the more important fact, he's on the cover of madden ;)

The kiss of death.

86WARD
10-27-2012, 06:41 AM
Wallace is definitely worth the money he's being paid. He's worth more than what he's getting paid. He's not worth Calvin or Fitz money...However, no one but those two are.

Carolina Steelers
10-28-2012, 03:36 PM
Wallace is definitely worth the money he's being paid. He's worth more than what he's getting paid. He's not worth Calvin or Fitz money...However, no one but those two are.

I agree not a steller day by an WR but still caught 7 passes for 62 yds and was targeted 9 times. I thought Brown and Wallace and Sanders would have went off against this secondary but ill take the win

steelerdude15
10-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Wallace definitely had a better game today. Not only did he make some good catches, he also had a couple of good blocks that helped Dwyer out too.

X-Terminator
10-28-2012, 03:46 PM
I agree not a steller day by an WR but still caught 7 passes for 62 yds and was targeted 9 times. I thought Brown and Wallace and Sanders would have went off against this secondary but ill take the win

The weather conditions contributed a lot to that. There's been a light, steady rain since shortly after kickoff. At any rate, Wallace did a better job this week for sure, despite the weather.

Edman
10-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Wallace had himself a solid game today, but let's see him show up more consistently, and when we really need him to.

Mamaduck43
10-28-2012, 04:05 PM
I have a better feeling about Wallace this week - - he played well..... I am hoping that last week was just a fluke, but time will tell.... If he wants the big money, he is going to have to perform in a big money way.....

steelpride12
10-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Wallace did prove better today and wasn't all about "only the deep ball." That being said it was only 1 game and he will need to remain this consistent the rest of the season to prove anything to anyone.

86WARD
10-28-2012, 04:22 PM
lol...

Psycho Ward 86
10-28-2012, 04:28 PM

because a wide receiver can stop a shitty defense and run game from being shitty

Steeldude
10-28-2012, 07:38 PM
The two passes he couldn't reel in were passes he needed to use just his hands. If BR throws it into his chest/stomach then he will catch, but if he has to use his hands it's not going to be pretty.

Craic
10-28-2012, 07:53 PM
The two passes he couldn't reel in were passes he needed to use just his hands. If BR throws it into his chest/stomach then he will catch, but if he has to use his hands it's not going to be pretty.

Yeah, because that ball that he had to one-hand, and ended up controlling just after he went out of bounds in the endzone was right up against his body. Sorry, but I don't agree with you. He's made all types of catches without having to rely on his "body" to do the work. Don't confuse butterfingers because of too much focus on a contract and not enough time with the team for lack of an ability to catch.
Does he catch passes in his body? sure. But he also catches them with his hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDy0YS-QYac

1. Over the head catch.
2. Over the head catch.
3. Body - but behind.
4. Facemask high - caught in stride.

A lot of the ones thereafter are short ones in the body - but there's another over the head catch and at 1:27, a falling down extension catch. 2:22 a nice catch with arms extended to the side of his body, hands only.2:35 has his gamewinning falling out of bounds catch against GB.

Shoes
10-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Wallace will be fine...and better the as the season progress. I still believe he will get a contract done and remain a Steeler. It amuses me to hear folks respond as if the money to pay him is coming out of their bank account.

86WARD
10-28-2012, 08:30 PM
I like the people who say everything that he catches in his chest are only with his body. You can catch them in there with your hands as well...lol. But Wallace...not him...he doesn't do that.

steelreserve
10-28-2012, 10:32 PM
He did better today, but it wasn't exactly a breakout performance. If you ask for - er, DEMAND - $11M a year, 62 yards with no big plays is pretty pedestrian. 31st among receivers this weekend, so ... yeah. Not a BAD game, but sorry Mike, you're the one who set expectations sky-high, and that doesn't count as living up to them.

Steeldude
10-28-2012, 10:41 PM
I like the people who say everything that he catches in his chest are only with his body. You can catch them in there with your hands as well...lol. But Wallace...not him...he doesn't do that.

Obviously he using hands to secure the ball. His problem is he has great difficulty snatching passes out of the air with just his hands. In this morning's game, the 2(?) passes that had to be caught with just his hands were dropped. He has trouble opening his hands toward the ball. This is also why he can't go up for passes in a crowd. It's much like Burress. When a lob was thrown to Burress he would try to catch it using his chest and hands.

You are right, he doesn't use his hands properly. What I find mind boggling is the people who say poor fundamentals deserves $11,000,000 a year...lol

Steeldude
10-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Yeah, because that ball that he had to one-hand, and ended up controlling just after he went out of bounds in the endzone was right up against his body. Sorry, but I don't agree with you. He's made all types of catches without having to rely on his "body" to do the work. Don't confuse butterfingers because of too much focus on a contract and not enough time with the team for lack of an ability to catch.
Does he catch passes in his body? sure. But he also catches them with his hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDy0YS-QYac

1. Over the head catch.
2. Over the head catch.
3. Body - but behind.
4. Facemask high - caught in stride.

A lot of the ones thereafter are short ones in the body - but there's another over the head catch and at 1:27, a falling down extension catch. 2:22 a nice catch with arms extended to the side of his body, hands only.2:35 has his gamewinning falling out of bounds catch against GB.

I never said he couldn't catch with just his hands. I am saying he has a problem with doing it. He needs to learn how to consistently catch a pass with his hands open and toward the ball. The pass today, you referred to, he should have easily brought both hands together to catch it. If he is asking for $11,000,000 then he should definitely catch it.

Passes 1 and 2 were typical of Wallace. He cradle-catches the passes. 3 and 4 were far better and more sound.

2:22 a nice catch with arms extended to the side of his body

He should have caught the pass with his hands up and toward the pass. This way he receives it sooner with less chance of it being defensed.

His fundamentals are poor, especially for someone asking for Fitzgerald-type money

not enough time with the team

The fundamentals he should have learned long ago have nothing to do with missing camp/pre-season.

If focusing on his contract caused his butter fingers then I wouldn't invest $11,000,000 in someone so easily distracted.

Craic
10-29-2012, 01:04 PM
We STILL don't know if he's demanding Fitzgerald type money. That was always a rumor. I don't think he (or his agent) has ever said publicly how much he's asking for. For all we know, the entire problem could be a few million spread out over five years, or the difference between guaranteed money and bonuses.

tube517
10-29-2012, 03:24 PM
http://profootballzone.com/nfl/report-mike-wallace-likely-done-in-pittsburgh/

I'm not a big fan of LaCanfora but there are still 9 games to go. I haven't heard any hints (because that's all we'll get) or signs from Colbert that they won't sign Wallace.....yet

Count Steeler
10-29-2012, 03:27 PM
http://profootballzone.com/nfl/report-mike-wallace-likely-done-in-pittsburgh/

Mike Wallace, having a subpar season in Pittsburgh while working under the franchise tag

Come on Jason, at least get your facts straight. Another BS media report.

ALLD
10-29-2012, 03:30 PM
We STILL don't know if he's demanding Fitzgerald type money. That was always a rumor. I don't think he (or his agent) has ever said publicly how much he's asking for. For all we know, the entire problem could be a few million spread out over five years, or the difference between guaranteed money and bonuses.

He turned down $50 million. He is not the same player he was last season, but yesterday he showed a little something to build on. Brown is still the best WR on the team.

steelreserve
10-29-2012, 04:12 PM

Whether he's demanding "Fitzgerald money" or just $11M really makes no difference - they're both ridiculous pie-in-the-sky numbers if they're based on his performance this year. It's a shame somebody else will pay it.

86WARD
10-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Wallace isn't working under the franchise tag. LaConfora is another idiot...

steeldawg
10-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Whether he's demanding "Fitzgerald money" or just $11M really makes no difference - they're both ridiculous pie-in-the-sky numbers if they're based on his performance this year. It's a shame somebody else will pay it.

Hes on pace for like 80 catches over 1000yds and 10 tds thats pretty good. So if thats what he ends up with combined with the stats from his previous 3 seasons he will be in that 11 mil pay range. Steelers are not going to base a long term deal off of one up season or down season, they will view the body of work and the potential and make a determination.

steelreserve
10-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Hes on pace for like 80 catches over 1000yds and 10 tds thats pretty good. So if thats what he ends up with combined with the stats from his previous 3 seasons he will be in that 11 mil pay range. Steelers are not going to base a long term deal off of one up season or down season, they will view the body of work and the potential and make a determination.

I double-checked the stats because I couldn't believe it, but there they are. I am amazed that he's putting up numbers anywhere near that high, because it seems like he's barely made a difference in most games this year. High stats, low impact would make it pretty likely we'd get outbid by someone else, although who knows, maybe the Steelers see more impact than I do.

I don't think "potential" ought to have much to do with it at this point. 4 years in, you don't have potential; they pretty much know that's how good you are.