PDA

View Full Version : Steelers insider: Steelers’ inconsistency linked to draft duds

stillers4me
10-21-2012, 08:08 AM
There are 186 days until the NFL Draft. That’s six months to watch college games, read draft reports, monitor the NFL Combine and figure out what name Roger Goodell should announce as the Steelers’ first-round pick.

If the first 13 drafts conducted by Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert are any indicator, it’s a day that could alter team history — one way or another.

By the way, that first Colbert draft occurred 4,572 days ago — about one day for every projected yard that 2004 first-round pick Ben Roethlisberger might throw for this season.

That 2004 draft perfectly illustrates the ups and downs of drafting, an art form at which Colbert often excels.
The Roethlisberger pick was clearly the gem of his picks, but the next one — second-rounder Ricardo Colclough — was arguably his worst........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2793187-85/steelers-round-draft-colbert-pick-receiver-nfl-picks-2004-davis#ixzz29wFfzvY9

SteelerFanInStl
10-21-2012, 09:37 AM
2010: Jason Worilds, second round, No. 52.
Worilds leads the Steelers with three sacks, and he isn’t close to being a certifiable disappointment. But there was considerable debate whether the Steelers should have grabbed Penn State linebacker Sean Lee of Upper St. Clair. Lee is now one of the NFL’s leading tacklers.

That one still bugs me because I really wanted Lee with that pick.

steelreserve
10-21-2012, 10:53 AM
I like how they gripe that we could've had Bob Sanders. Who's played 11 games in the past 5 years, while on an $8M a year contract. And who's only played more than 6 games in a season twice in his entire career. And we think Troy is injured too much for what we pay him.

jb500ex
10-21-2012, 10:58 AM
its funny they mention canty i park 50ft from his house everyday at work

fansince'76
10-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Everyone's a draft genius with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight...

XxKnightxX
10-21-2012, 11:36 AM
" They badly needed a receiver. Instead they got, well, a bad receiver in Sweed. Two picks later, Ray Rice went to Baltimore."
Ouch.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

fansince'76
10-21-2012, 11:43 AM
They badly needed a receiver. Instead they got, well, a bad receiver in Sweed. Two picks later, Ray Rice went to Baltimore.

As I recall, Sweed was considered pretty much a second round steal at the time. Who could realistically predict beforehand that he was going to be a head case who couldn't catch a cold based on his college career? Like I said, everyone's a frigging draft guru with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

A snippet from his draft report:

Entering his final (collegiate) season, Sweed was rated the best receiver in college football and one of the nation's top 25 draft prospects by ESPN. However, a left wrist injury that started to bother him in spring camp carried over into fall drills. The injury would force Sweed to the sidelines for stretches throughout the first six games of his final season. His year would finally come to a close after he underwent surgery in mid-October to repair ligament damage.

Before his career would come to a close, Sweed etched his name into the Longhorns' record books. The two-time All-Big 12 selection ranks second in school history with 20 touchdown catches. While starting 39 consecutive games, he totaled 1,915 yards receiving, the fifth-best season total in Texas history. He also hauled in 124 passes, good for sixth place on UT's all-time record list.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/limas-sweed?id=322

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why the NFL draft is a crapshoot.

HollywoodSteel
10-21-2012, 12:01 PM
These little what if games are obviously a little silly but they are still kind of fun. In the article he points out that we could have passed on Sweed and taken Rice in the 2nd. But going a little further with that, had we waited until the 2nd for a RB we could have taken someone like Duane Brown in the 1st, securing Ben's blind side for years. Who knows what could have been different?

Count Steeler
10-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Yeah, and every team passed on Tom Brady at least 5 times (including the Patriots). Every draft is a gamble, nothing is guaranteed.

BlastFurnace
10-21-2012, 07:25 PM
I didn't have a problem with the Hood and Heyward picks as they were good, productive college players. What I do have a problem with is the way they are coached to play by DL coach John Mitchell. They played well enough in college to be considered first round picks....and then Mitchell teaches them to forget everything they learned in college to teach them the "Steeler Way". This team gets absolutely no pressure, but they can't stop the run any longer either. I have a hard time believing that all of the Steelers Defensive Lineman aren't capable of rushing the passer, except for Hampton. They way the Steelers teach their D'Lineman to play is archaic and needs to be changed.

- - - Updated - - -

These little what if games are obviously a little silly but they are still kind of fun. In the article he points out that we could have passed on Sweed and taken Rice in the 2nd. But going a little further with that, had we waited until the 2nd for a RB we could have taken someone like Duane Brown in the 1st, securing Ben's blind side for years. Who knows what could have been different?

I agree. If the draft was held again the year Sweed was picked, Ray Rice would be a top 20 pick. Long gone before the Steelers picked.