PDA

View Full Version : Ike Taylor not happy with criticism

LLT
10-18-2012, 06:13 AM
October 18, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ike Taylor feels that he's picked on, and not just by opposing quarterbacks and receivers. The veteran cornerback complained that the local news media do not defend the Steelers, even when they cannot sometimes defend themselves on the field. He also says the media picks and chooses their statistics to make their points.

"I always felt like, you know, if we're in the same city, regardless what's going on with the team, why can't we just be family? Why can't we just point out the facts? Why does one individual have to be pointed out?"

Included in the so-called non-supporters in the new media would be his former coach, Bill Cowher, who Sunday had some critical things to say about Taylor on The NFL Today on CBS, not to mention his own coach, Mike Tomlin.

Cowher said this first about the Steelers defense: "I think they have a situation where all three losses, they lost fourth-quarter leads. They are struggling right now on defense."

He then offered what he thought was the biggest problem for the Steelers defense through five games.

"I will say the number one player is Ike Taylor," Cowher said. "He's given up seven penalties, four touchdowns, he's been targeted 44 times, and Ike is not playing his best football. What Dick [LeBeau] will have to do is protect him with a safety over the top."

Then there was Tomlin's comment about Taylor during his news conference Tuesday.

"He needs to get back to playing good, sound football," said Tomlin, whose perception of Taylor's performance surely was not formed by listening to local sports talk shows.

Taylor offered statistics to make his point that the Steelers defense is not playing as poorly as some of their critics might say.

"The stats are the stats," said Taylor, who repeated his assertions in the locker room Wednesday that he first made on his radio show Tuesday. "Y'all look at numbers, y'all throw numbers out, the numbers don't lie. And, if you want to go by numbers, we're not doing as bad as what they say we're doing

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-ike-taylor-not-happy-with-criticism-657988/#ixzz29eFa5CKY

zulater
10-18-2012, 06:18 AM
As for stats on the Steelers cornerbacks? No interceptions, and, in a ranking of 100 cornerbacks off their play in 2012, Pro Football Focus lists Taylor 96th and Keenan Lewis 91st.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-ike-taylor-not-happy-with-criticism-657988/#ixzz29eAzfAbv

How about you play better first before you start blasting your critics Ike?!

Honestly though I don't think he can. He's lost a half step and with it his game.

Steeldude
10-18-2012, 06:29 AM
Why can't we just point out the facts?

They are pointing out the facts.

Edman
10-18-2012, 07:14 AM
They are pointing out the facts, Ike. Since the Denver Playoff game you have BLOWN.

Teams aren't picking on Keenan Lewis or Cortez Allen, they're going after YOU. Figure that out.

Butch
10-18-2012, 08:19 AM
I like IKE!!!, but come on Ike stop whining and shifting blame, it's not the Steelers way and it only makes you look bad. Ike you need to learn something from one of the greatest Steeler coaches of all times..."Stats are for losers!!!". The only way to quiet the critics and the fans is to go out there and shut the opposition down and you can't do that if you think you are being picked on unfairly. Another saying from Chuck was "You have never arrived"...in other words always look critically at yourself and continue to try to improve yourself.

The eyes of Steeler Universe will be on Ike and if he doesn't step up his game soon the next FIRE Thread will have Ike's name all over it!!!

tube517
10-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Cowher sat his ass down in 2006. But the earth would have to be flat and Troy bald, for Tomlin to do that.

Devilsdancefloor
10-18-2012, 09:15 AM
maybe he does need to have a seat for a few games to get his head right? but he needs to stop the whinning make shim look silly

vader29
10-18-2012, 09:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c5Fv57_njI

steelreserve
10-18-2012, 09:44 AM
You're not happy with the criticism, then there's an idea: PLAY BETTER.

You want to talk about facts, the facts are that the team is 2-3 and the defense blew a lead in each of those losses. And the passing defense in particular just gets shredded at will.

He does have a point that it's a team game. The fact that we get ZERO pressure isn't helping our secondary. Neither is the fact that we've been playing the sit-back because Troy has been injured for all but about half of one game. Still. Your individual numbers suggest you've been playing like dogshit.

st33lersguy
10-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Has Ike even played a lot? I only hear his name when he commits a penalty. If Ike does not want to hear criticism he and the rest of the defense should start playing real football

Wallace108
10-18-2012, 10:32 AM
"I always felt like, you know, if we're in the same city, regardless what's going on with the team, why can't we just be family?"
Apparently, Ike doesn't understand the role of the media.

I agree with what others have said ... if Ike wants to silence his critics, all he has to do is play better.

SteelerFanInStl
10-18-2012, 12:38 PM
It's bad enough that he can't cover anyone but he's also committing a lot of penalties. If he thinks that he's playing well then there's no hope for him.

zulater
10-18-2012, 12:48 PM
It's bad enough that he can't cover anyone but he's also committing a lot of penalties. If he thinks that he's playing well then there's no hope for him.

The thing is I don't think it's a lack of focus or effort. I think he's washed up and no one ( least of all him) wants to admit it.

One other thing. Cowher benched Taylor for 5 out the last 6 games in 2006 and put Deshea Townsend in his place. The Steelers went 3-2 in those games.( in an 8-8 season) So history shows the world doesn't end if we bench a struggling Ike for a mediocre replacement. He should be benched now!

Moose
10-18-2012, 12:49 PM
I've been saying for year's our CB's are terrible. I'd get rid of all of them, and quit that damn cushion coverage. It kills us all of the time. Hey Ike, if you think you are being 'picked on' now ....hahaha, wait 'til Sunday night, Dalton and Green will be going after you all night. And Ike, if you don't want the critic's eating on your ass, do the JOB !!

X-Terminator
10-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Hey Ike? Want to shut up the critics? You can start by not sucking.

Shoes
10-18-2012, 01:35 PM
"The stats are the stats," said hold-em Ike

Animal Mother
10-18-2012, 01:42 PM
The first thing Ike should do is learn how to run while moving his arms.

Nadroj 20
10-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Defenses know they can at least get him to commit a stupid penalty by throwing the ball down field. He can't seem to cover any more without grabbing the offensive player a few times.

Moose
10-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Defenses know they can at least get him to commit a stupid penalty by throwing the ball down field. He can't seem to cover any more without grabbing the offensive player a few times.

A few times ? hahahaha.... yea, a few times a play.

Count Steeler
10-18-2012, 04:26 PM
So far this year, 1 of 2 things happens when you throw Ike's way. He gets a penalty, or they get a completion.

Sorry IKE, but STFU and play some football. 1 more penalty and I would sit you down for a couple of games.

steelers_switzerland
10-18-2012, 05:09 PM
with polamalu out. i would give it a try with cortez as cb1 and brown as cb2, lewis as nickel and clark and ike at safety... or golden at ss and benching ike at least for a game or two... we got nothing to lose since it can't get any worse. but i don't have much hope since veterans are more worth than the tape

Prok
10-18-2012, 06:23 PM
coaching and scheme has just as much to do with our woes as players in my opinion. alot of us have noted for years that our secondary has average to poor ball skills. and they are not very good at reacting after the completion imo as well. lebeau loves to play that soft zone prevent type coverage behind his blitzes far too often. and let's face it, our drafting has been average to very poor when it concerns cover corners anyway. teams have caught up to lebeau's smoke and mirrors act as much as i hate to say it. i can't wait til' we get a DC in Pittsburgh that will line his guys up and let them compete their asses off every play. i hope we never have to see good young athletic defensive linemen trying to take on blocks so the linebackers can make the tackles again.... can't friggin wait til' we can line up a front 4 that ATTACKS the line of scrimmage and pounds a running back on their way to the QB!

GBMelBlount
10-18-2012, 08:54 PM
I am very surprised that Ike will not admit how poorly he is playing.

When I had a shitty performance I would always be 10 times harder on myself than anyone else was.

Own up and get your act together Ike.

shutdown
10-19-2012, 11:17 AM
I love Ike and am a huge supporter of his. But here is some additional stats for him to chew on:

Ike Taylor has a QB Rating of 118.4 in passes where he is targeted. 8th worst out of all CB's in the league who play at least 50% of their defensive snaps.

Ike Taylor has given up 373 passing yards. 5th worst out of all CB's in the league who play at least 50% of their defensive snaps. (And Steelers have had a bye week, meaning he's played 1 less game than most)

Ike Taylor has given up 4 touchdowns. 2nd worst out of all CB's in the league who play at least 50% of their defensive snaps. (And Steelers have had a bye week, meaning he's played 1 less game than most)

Only stat Ike Taylor has going for him right now is his allowed completion percentage which is 57.1%, which is right around league average.

zulater
10-19-2012, 11:19 AM
I love Ike and am a huge supporter of his. But here is some additional stats for him to chew on:

Ike Taylor has a QB Rating of 118.4 in passes where he is targeted. 8th worst out of all CB's in the league who play at least 50% of their defensive snaps.

Ike Taylor has given up 373 passing yards. 5th worst out of all CB's in the league who play at least 50% of their defensive snaps. (And Steelers have had a bye week, meaning he's played 1 less game than most)

Ike Taylor has given up 4 touchdowns. 2nd worst out of all CB's in the league who play at least 50% of their defensive snaps. (And Steelers have had a bye week, meaning he's played 1 less game than most)

Only stat Ike Taylor has going for him right now is his allowed completion percentage which is 57.1%, which is right around league average.

And the stats you cite don't account for his penalties. Throw those in and I think you can make the case that he's the worst corner in the league to date.

GodfatherofSoul
10-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Remember how half-assed he was playing during preseason games? I remember thinking, "I guess he's trying to save his body for the real games."

Moose
10-20-2012, 10:37 AM
coaching and scheme has just as much to do with our woes as players in my opinion. alot of us have noted for years that our secondary has average to poor ball skills. and they are not very good at reacting after the completion imo as well. lebeau loves to play that soft zone prevent type coverage behind his blitzes far too often. and let's face it, our drafting has been average to very poor when it concerns cover corners anyway. teams have caught up to lebeau's smoke and mirrors act as much as i hate to say it. i can't wait til' we get a DC in Pittsburgh that will line his guys up and let them compete their asses off every play. i hope we never have to see good young athletic defensive linemen trying to take on blocks so the linebackers can make the tackles again.... can't friggin wait til' we can line up a front 4 that ATTACKS the line of scrimmage and pounds a running back on their way to the QB!

DITTO ! Been saying this for year's. Our CB's, in my opinion, have been pathetic and never try for interception's, just let the WR catch ball and then try to run them down and push out of bounds. A classic LeBeau style of play, that DOESN'T work anymore. NO pressure on anyone. I can't even stomach watching their defensive moves, and I can't believe these 'so called' defensive coaches or Tomlin can watch it and accept it. Just my opinion.