PDA

View Full Version : Torn calf muscle keeps Polamalu on sidelines

LLT
10-18-2012, 06:07 AM
TribLive
By Alan Robinson
Wednesday, October 17, 2012,

Troy Polamalu won’t play Sunday in Cincinnati. He probably won’t play next week or the week after that, not with a torn calf muscle that has turned his right leg a hideous shade of purple and red.

But the reason he’s hurting isn’t just because of an injury that usually takes up to six weeks to heal. It’s because the Steelers (2-3) need him badly after losing each of their first three road games, and he won’t be out there Sunday night in Cincinnati to help a struggling defense.

“That’s why they (NFL teams) pay the more talented players big money, to keep them on field,” Polamalu said Wednesday. “Obviously, you want your starters and your more experienced players out there.”

The best-case scenario for Polamalu’s return, according to teammates, is the second half of the season. He wishes he could return last week.

“Sometimes I wonder if it’s just us,” Polamalu said, referring to the Steelers’ current abundance of injuries that includes their top two running backs and two starting offensive linemen. “It seems like we deal with it pretty seriously every year. I’m aware of Baltimore’s situation (with Lardarius Webb and Ray Lewis out), but it seems like we face those situations year in and year out.”

Polamalu included. The Bengals game will be the fourth he’s missed this season and the 17th he’s sat out over the last four seasons. It’s frustrating to him, especially because he started every game at age 30 last season and made the All-Pro team

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2792211-85/polamalu-calf-week-muscle-season-won-injury-steelers-game-sunday#ixzz29eDosA7q

Steeldude
10-18-2012, 06:24 AM
Week 11?

bayz101
10-18-2012, 07:25 AM
I'd sit him until December, and hope our team can get into a playoff position without him until then. At least then he'll definitely be ready to go, and he'll have a couple of games to prepare for the playoff's, and make no mistake, we're still in the picture. The AFC is awful, and we could easily make it in at 9-7. Hell, we could get TOP SEED at 9-7 if the AFC stays consistently inconsistent.

GodfatherofSoul
10-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Not the first time we've brought him back too early and had him reaggravate an injury.

st33lersguy
10-18-2012, 09:54 AM
Might as well read Torn Calf muscle keeps entire defense on the sideline

steelreserve
10-18-2012, 11:54 AM
I've been assuming he's basically out for the year except for a game here and there where he comes back and feels not quite right, then misses 2-3 more games; repeat until end of season. At best, he'll be limping through the rest of the year at 60% effectiveness. We need to get back to reality and start planning our defense so we can win games without him. That means adjusting our expectations and trying to create not a dominant defense, but one that's good enough to give us a chance to win. As opposed to right now, where if the defense can't be dominant, it curls up in a ball and cries for mommy.

86WARD
10-18-2012, 12:20 PM
See ya next year.

polamalubeast
10-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Polamalu was an incredible player in his career and he is a future HOF, but it is not normal that the steelers are bad without Polamalu,especially in the 4th quarter in defense

The Steelers are 7-10 without Polamalu since 2009!

- - - Updated - - -

See ya next year.

maybe this is the last year of Polamalu

Craic
10-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Polamalu was an incredible player in his career and he is a future HOF, but it is not normal that the steelers are bad without Polamalu,especially in the 4th quarter in defense

The Steelers are 7-10 without Polamalu since 2009!

- - - Updated - - -

maybe this is the last year of Polamalu

That's my thought. Too many injuries too often. I think it may be time to let him go in the offseason and try to get someone else into the position. It'd be a great loss if we were talking about a health Troy, but we're not. It'd also free up a lot of cap room to sign Wallace.

Heck, I bet there's some sucker team out there that'd give us a second or third round pick for him, even injured as he is. Bundle that with a second and our first, and move up in the draft to pick the best DB out there (if there's one worthy of it).

tihmtahm
10-18-2012, 03:30 PM
That's my thought. Too many injuries too often. I think it may be time to let him go in the offseason and try to get someone else into the position. It'd be a great loss if we were talking about a health Troy, but we're not. It'd also free up a lot of cap room to sign Wallace.

Heck, I bet there's some sucker team out there that'd give us a second or third round pick for him, even injured as he is. Bundle that with a second and our first, and move up in the draft to pick the best DB out there (if there's one worthy of it).

I would hope if the Steelers do that, it won't turn out like the Rod Woodson thing. He was productive for a bit after he left the Steelers.

steelers_switzerland
10-18-2012, 03:40 PM
troy is not THAT old, i think we shouldn't count him out yet... let him heal fully, maybe he bounces back to play close to his dominant days

Austin87
10-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Not the first time we've brought him back too early and had him reaggravate an injury.

We need better backup safeties. Mundy and Allen are not the solution. With Troy and Clark not getting any younger we should look to the future and the backup safeties currently on the team are not starting caliber players.

Count Steeler
10-18-2012, 04:19 PM
We need better backup safeties. Mundy and Allen are not the solution. With Troy and Clark not getting any younger we should look to the future and the backup safeties currently on the team are not starting caliber players.

Time for Golden to defend some blades of grass.

60_MINUTES
10-19-2012, 11:44 PM

Goood Lord man I guess you and I disagree on a few things lol... Are you kidding me??? Troy just may be the greatest player I ever saw strap on pads...or at least one of them...Most have him in the top 10 steelers of all time...So does the NFL network ( which doesnt mean shit ) but bottom line this guy doesnt come along very often and Im not so sure he will again... saying that he just played a whole season last year...didnt miss any games...so he has a calf get tore at age of 31 and you want to trade him for a 3rd???? LOL a HOF player that could fall off 20 percent and still be top 5 safety in the game for the next 3 or 4 years and you want to trade him for a 3rd.... My Lord man un real

- - - Updated - - -

and you want to give the 10 mil a year to wallace and his two catches a game.... I want Wallace back as well but no for more then we signed Brown... wallace is no where near a worth the fitzgerald...megatron money he wants...thats why no other team gave it to him either...yes he should be paid but not as much as he thinks thats for sure

Craic
10-20-2012, 12:26 AM
Goood Lord man I guess you and I disagree on a few things lol... Are you kidding me??? Troy just may be the greatest player I ever saw strap on pads...or at least one of them...Most have him in the top 10 steelers of all time...So does the NFL network ( which doesnt mean shit ) but bottom line this guy doesnt come along very often and Im not so sure he will again... saying that he just played a whole season last year...didnt miss any games...so he has a calf get tore at age of 31 and you want to trade him for a 3rd???? LOL a HOF player that could fall off 20 percent and still be top 5 safety in the game for the next 3 or 4 years and you want to trade him for a 3rd.... My Lord man un real

- - - Updated - - -

and you want to give the 10 mil a year to wallace and his two catches a game.... I want Wallace back as well but no for more then we signed Brown... wallace is no where near a worth the fitzgerald...megatron money he wants...thats why no other team gave it to him either...yes he should be paid but not as much as he thinks thats for sure

Here's the thing.

In 2007, he missed five games due to injury.
In 2008, he came back strong.
In 2009, he missed eleven games due to injury.
In 2010, he injures an ankle. (doesn't miss any games), then injures his achilles and is out for two games. He comes back for the playoffs, but is not the "Troy Polamalu" we all know, and disappeared in the SB due to the injury.
In 2011, He missed part of a game due to his what, 7th concussion? Then disappeared in Denver (though I fully admit that was scheming)
In 2012, he's basically played one full game.

That's basically missing a quarter of the games over the last six years. That's not counting the games he played injured, when he was just an average safety because of the injury.

Look, a healthy Troy is a SS that has redefined the position and still plays at a level only a few can match. But we don't see that Troy every game anymore. Heck, we're lucky to see him 75% of the time over the last few years. He's in his 30s now, which might not mean much for some, but the way Troy plays, it takes a tremendous toll on the body. I don't foresee him being able to keep it up much longer. For that reason, I think it might be time to look at spreading the money around and bringing up someone new in his position.

No, I'm not suggesting throwing Troy's salary at Wallace. I am suggesting however, that we can get extra cap room to help sign Wallace, plus going out and getting players that we need. No where did I say we give Wallace 10 Mill. Those are your words. My words were specifically, "free up cap room."

Age catches up with everyone. Sadly, I think his body has about had it with this sport.

86WARD
10-20-2012, 06:59 AM
I would hope if the Steelers do that, it won't turn out like the Rod Woodson thing. He was productive for a bit after he left the Steelers.

Super Bowl Champion.

86WARD
10-20-2012, 07:00 AM

Way overdue. Agree. Need better depth. The idea of trading Troy...no one is giving a high pick for him...he's injured "too much."

Nadroj 20
10-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Here's the thing.

In 2007, he missed five games due to injury.
In 2008, he came back strong.
In 2009, he missed eleven games due to injury.
In 2010, he injures an ankle. (doesn't miss any games), then injures his achilles and is out for two games. He comes back for the playoffs, but is not the "Troy Polamalu" we all know, and disappeared in the SB due to the injury.
In 2011, He missed part of a game due to his what, 7th concussion? Then disappeared in Denver (though I fully admit that was scheming)
In 2012, he's basically played one full game.

That's basically missing a quarter of the games over the last six years. That's not counting the games he played injured, when he was just an average safety because of the injury.

Look, a healthy Troy is a SS that has redefined the position and still plays at a level only a few can match. But we don't see that Troy every game anymore. Heck, we're lucky to see him 75% of the time over the last few years. He's in his 30s now, which might not mean much for some, but the way Troy plays, it takes a tremendous toll on the body. I don't foresee him being able to keep it up much longer. For that reason, I think it might be time to look at spreading the money around and bringing up someone new in his position.

No, I'm not suggesting throwing Troy's salary at Wallace. I am suggesting however, that we can get extra cap room to help sign Wallace, plus going out and getting players that we need. No where did I say we give Wallace 10 Mill. Those are your words. My words were specifically, "free up cap room."

Age catches up with everyone. Sadly, I think his body has about had it with this sport.

I couldn't agree more. I have already said this similar thing to many of my fellow Steelers fans and they can't seem to comprehend these facts.

Look, we all love Troy and appreciate his greatness, but we have to be realistic here as you seem to be suggesting. Nobody wants to see Troy go but we haven't seen a healthy #43 for some time and I very much doubt we will see him anytime soon. It is time to begin looking at other options and possibly use the money elsewhere.

60_MINUTES
10-23-2012, 10:06 PM
well all I can tell you guys is your wrong and the steelers will prove my point..make no mistake about it Troy will not leave the steelers... MGM is not that dumb... the guy can sit back and play center field if he wants to and be the best SS in the game... Bottom line its a win now league... if Troy can play 2 years at 75 percent thats better then anyone else in the game can dream of being... our record with Troy and without is the clear answer...

Last he has a calf injury...not season ending. withoutI him on the field at the end of this year we have no chance what so ever to make a superbowl...

I will say again Troy will never be traded by the steelers...

tube517
10-23-2012, 10:18 PM
I think he would retire rather than play for another team. Football is not his life.

PalmerSteel
10-24-2012, 11:01 AM
whats the time frame looking like for him to return?