PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Starks says offense must realize full potential

zulater
10-16-2012, 05:30 AM
With the Steelers defense losing second-half leads as if they were pocket change, perhaps a different approach might be in order as they prepare to play their first AFC North Division opponent Sunday in Cincinnati.
Is it time to make up for the failings on defense by cranking it up on offense?
"I think, for us, it's time to realize as an offense the potential we do have," said veteran offensive tackle Max Starks. "We can talk about it, you guys can speculate about it, we can break it down individually, but, for us, we just need to come together as one cohesive unit and realize our true potential.
"We can score a lot of points if we're all on the same page and we do our job."
The Steelers boast one of the best quarterbacks in the league in Pro Bowler Ben Roethlisberger, Pro Bowlers Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown at receiver, former Pro Bowler Heath Miller at tight end, and Pro Bowler Maurkice Pouncey at center.
They and many others have talked about their potential firepower, yet, when it comes down to it, they've been more Popgun than Topgun on offense. They average 23.2 points per game, which ranks 17th or in the second half of the NFL.
The Steelers scored 23 against a Tennessee team that had allowed an average of 36.2 points per game while going 1-4, and they lost by three.
"We are not scoring enough points or making the play when we need to," Roethlisberger said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-starks-says-offense-must-realize-full-potential-657703/#ixzz29SNP9qRz

zulater
10-16-2012, 05:50 AM
The Titans game was particularly frustrating. They were close on so many plays to busting the game open, but time after time, 10 guys would execute superbly, but one guy would be a complete cluster %#%$ and the play would break down as a result.

And it's different guys screwing up every time, so it's not as if you can point a finger and say that's how we can fix it.

I really think the short week had a lot to do with the problems we had last week.

Hopefully they have it more together for Cincy. In my opinion in order to have a chance to win that game you must score 30+ points. I think we're fully capable, but we just got to get everyone on the same page more consistently and eliminate all the mental errors.

suitanim
10-16-2012, 08:31 AM
I think he may sort of be admitting that they need to score a lot more points since they can't trust the defense to actually stop anyone.

You know, the Pats defense was absolute shit last year, but they made it to the SB because they outscored almost everyone.

zulater
10-16-2012, 10:40 PM
For anyone who was possibly feeling guilty for being benificiaries of the "tuck rule" Thursday night. Just watching the play on NFL rewind and my first impression was confirmed. 93 of the Titans ( Mike Martin) the guy who caused the fumble should have been flagged for a neutral zone infaction.

Steeldude
10-17-2012, 12:27 AM
They should use more no-huddle, but that's not going to happen.

GBMelBlount
10-17-2012, 05:20 AM
I think he may sort of be admitting that they need to score a lot more points since they can't trust the defense to actually stop anyone.

You know, the Pats defense was absolute shit last year, but they made it to the SB because they outscored almost everyone.

Big picture this is really all it comes down to.

We are not getting blown out in our losses.

With a few adjustments like penalties and putting more youth on the field on defense things could look a lot different.

zulater
10-17-2012, 05:44 AM
Basically the Steelers should approach every game with the mindset that they're going to need 30 points, plus or minus a few, if they're going to have a realistic chance to win.

Until this offense can consistently rack up that kind of point total we probably can expect more L's than W's, particularly on the road.

Steeldude
10-17-2012, 06:10 AM
Basically the Steelers should approach every game with the mindset that they're going to need 30 points, plus or minus a few, if they're going to have a realistic chance to win.

I can't see it happening. It almost seems like the Steelers are scared to run-up a score. I believe all teams should run-up the score, in most cases. If the other team doesn't like it then they should play defense.

zulater
10-17-2012, 10:53 PM
I read online somewhere a couple days ago that the 2nd down run on the Steelers last possession where Barron Batch lost 2 yards was actually a check with me that Ben audible'd into. And that Barron Batch screwed up and ran to the wrong hole. Well I just rewatched the play and if Batch had ran to the right instead of cutting back behind center and heading left, he would have had a nice gain. Possibly even first down yardage, that side of the field was set up so right.

Damn you just wonder if Mendenhall or Redman had been in there would they have seen it, and run the play where it was intended to go? Even Dwyer? Damn. That misread, by the 4th string rb probably cost us the game! :frusty:

GBMelBlount
10-18-2012, 05:02 AM
I can't see it happening. It almost seems like the Steelers are scared to run-up a score. I believe all teams should run-up the score, in most cases. If the other team doesn't like it then they should play defense.

Damn right. This is what pisses me off. Instead of going for the jugular they seem to be complacent and play not to lose as soon as they get a lead.