PDA

View Full Version : Ta’amu addresses Steelers regarding arrest

zulater
10-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Alameda Ta’amu was at the Steelers’ practice facility Monday and apologized to teammates, but the organization remains mum on what punishment the rookie defensive lineman faces in the wake of multiple felony charges following an early-morning police chase over the weekend.
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin informed the team about Ta’amu’s arrest during a morning meeting, and according to some of his teammates, the 350-pound nose tackle apologized to his fellow defensive linemen during position meetings early Monday.
“I talked to him, and he was remorseful,” Casey Hampton said. “He feels really bad about it. He knows what happened was a bad thing. He made a mistake, and that’s the way I look at it, not taking away what he did because it was a terrible thing. We have to ride with him and see what happens.”

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................................

“It is a serious situation. It is a dangerous situation,” safety Ryan Clark said. “You are just happy that he didn’t injure anybody or himself.”
The organization said it has no further comment regarding Ta’amu’s situation.
While his teammates said that they will continue to support Ta’amu, they also understand the severity of his actions.
“It is a very serious situation, and that’s how we are viewing it,” defensive captain Brett Keisel said. “Matters like these are touchy. I am glad I don’t have to make those decisions because they are very serious. They have a tough call to make.”
Ta’amu was the Steelers’ fourth-round pick this year out of the University of Washington. He is of Samoan descent, and his father is a retired pastor. Ta’amu made a connection with fellow Samoan Troy Polamalu.
Ta’amu, Polamalu and Clark bonded during training camp, and they routinely ate together and went to see movies.
Clark said he reached out to Ta’amu in a “nonjudgmental kind of way” Sunday, but refused to reveal details of the conversation.
“You don’t ‘Amen’ this as in it is OK to do, but you don’t throw him away,” Clark said. “You don’t exile him from the team, you don’t stop talking to him, you don’t stop being his friend because if you are family, you don’t do that. I want to help him through this and help him be part of the Pittsburgh Steelers and, if that’s possible, when he’s back, he is going to be the same brother before this happened.”
Fellow nose tackle Steve McLendon said he was surprised to hear of Ta’amu’s involvement in the incident. Ta’amu is widely regarded by his teammates as a down-to-earth family man with a pleasant demeanor.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/2780255-85/amu-steelers-police-arrest-teammates-clark-situation-sunday-tackle-according#ixzz29QZyWWWu
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

zulater
10-15-2012, 10:16 PM
He screwed up big time, and obviously there will be serious consequenses for the young man. But perhaps he's not the Devil incarnate after all.

I think I'll go back to my first impression and just will respect whatever decision the Steelers make regarding Ta'amu and any possible future he may have in the league or as a Steeler.

As far as what the law does, the fact that he was released on $25,000 bail makes me wonder if things weren't quite as bad they were made out to be? Don't get me wrong, I'm not running interference for the kid. But I think he's owed his day in court before we all pronounce judgement on him. In other words I'm saying how about we respect the legal proccess here?

In time we can make an informed decision, but as of now, let's see where it goes.

86WARD
10-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Agree 100%...

GBMelBlount
10-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Hopefully if Ben throws 10 Hail Mary's next game all will be forgiven.

OK, maybe 20.

tube517
10-16-2012, 06:47 AM
Steelers will do what the Steelers will do. If they go the Sandoobio, Bam Morris route, see ya big guy. If they go Marvel Smith, Ernie Holmes, etc then they will let him stay. I support whatever they decide.

Steeldude
10-16-2012, 07:30 AM
I support whatever they decide.

http://superficialgallery.com/wp-content/uploads/facepalm.jpeg

Texasteel
10-16-2012, 07:36 AM
A very nice post zu, and I agree. It's easy to jump on the kid right now without all the facts, but I will take a wait and see position, and watch this story unfold. People smarter than I will sort this out.

Pristas
10-16-2012, 07:41 AM
If he shows remorse, true remorse, they will keep him. The Rooneys run a Christian organization, and forgiveness is part of that... unless you don't respect their direction and you screw up repeatedly like Santonio. And they will take the bad press that comes with this, because the Steelers don't care what the media says, or what the fans say. They will simply do the right thing based on the confession of the man.

What intrigues me is how this could light a flame under Ta'amu. Imagine him coming into camp next year bigger than McClendon did this year. That would be titanic!

suitanim
10-16-2012, 07:49 AM
Like I said, football is second here. This dude's doing some time, so the primary concern needs to be with this guy as a human being...

Butch
10-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Great post Zulater and it's good to see the players are supportive without giving him the it's "OK" statements. I have been and will continue to be in the wait and see what the organization decides to do. As Tex stated there are people with a lot more knowledge than me on this so I will defer to their decision.