PDA

View Full Version : Hampton watch

GodfatherofSoul
10-15-2012, 03:50 PM
I've been hearing a lot that he's dropped off and I have to admit I've been focusing elsewhere on D. Has anyone been watching him closely enough to give some info on how he's doing? Any examples of plays that show how he's playing?

GBMelBlount
10-15-2012, 04:17 PM
GodFatherOfSoul

Any examples of plays that show how (Hamptons's) playing?

Here ya go....don't blink! :thumbsup:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/37/Auguste_Rodin_-_Grubleren_2005-02.jpg/220px-Auguste_Rodin_-_Grubleren_2005-02.jpg

GBMelBlount
10-15-2012, 04:18 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuAS1uFuA-JppAaAHbZb9XuFLLTIltpEpKgcmpN9LBM1HGD5IC

GBMelBlount
10-15-2012, 04:19 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSk9sX3xv3Q1e1i0FyLry-5fJHN7lhSRjEAqShSj7B-WR6EVJ-EUA

GBMelBlount
10-15-2012, 04:21 PM
http://www.aviewoncities.com/img/washington/kveus6507s.jpg

slippy
10-15-2012, 04:42 PM
he's been playing on roller skates. when mclendon is in i actually notice the D line.

vader29
10-15-2012, 04:45 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/dbiq9i.jpg

Psycho Ward 86
10-15-2012, 04:48 PM
he's been playing on roller skates. when mclendon is in i actually notice the D line.

:lol:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7ud12Vlyy1qfow0jo1_r1_500.jpg

st33lersguy
10-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Hampton has played as well as Albert Haynesworth when he was a Redskin. Hampton has literally done nothing all year

steelreserve
10-15-2012, 06:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpFzkuYBvJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyR138Yui1c

SteelGhost
10-15-2012, 07:43 PM
I think he won't be playing with the Steelers in 2013.

Count Steeler
10-15-2012, 07:46 PM
I think he won't be playing with the Steelers in 2013.

Problem is, he hasn't played this year either.

SteelGhost
10-15-2012, 07:56 PM

Yep, you're right Count :chuckle: It's becoming painful to watch him lined up in some plays :doh:

zulater
10-15-2012, 09:38 PM
As coach Noll would say. Time to get on with your life's work Big Snack.

st33lersguy
10-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Casey Hampton has been as useful as Joe Biden's brain

Chidi29
10-15-2012, 11:04 PM
I still think if you want to talk about one guy struggling vs the run, it's Keisel. And no one has talked about him.

Steeldude
10-16-2012, 02:59 AM
I still think if you want to talk about one guy struggling vs the run, it's Keisel. And no one has talked about him.

I have mentioned it for the last few seasons(if not more), but I didn't press it because there are so many short-tempered fans here.

Steeldude
10-16-2012, 03:03 AM

Or the last few. I really thought they would make Mclendon the starter. I feel if the Steelers keep losing they should start Heyward, C. Allen and Mclendon or at least feed them a lot more minutes.

It's pathetic when coaches are afraid to bench veterans.

zulater
10-16-2012, 05:26 AM

Keisel isn't even as close to bad as Hampton's been. You watch the games, look a little harder. Every play Hampton is being handled one on one by a center or guard with no difficulty. He's turned in whatever direction they need to turn him, be it run, pass, whatever. If the other team is running the hole goes past Hampton more often than not. And as opposed to his prime days when he occupied two blockers, or if blocked by one man would ram that guard or center right into the designated hole. Now, he's handled as easily as a 3 legged blind puppy.

Keisel has gotten good penetration and influenced plays in every game. He's got several good qb pressures, a tackle for a loss, and maintained gap control like he's supposed to as often as not, if not moreso.

That's not saying Keisel's game hasn't slipped considerably so far this season. It has. But the difference is he at least still has shown some evidence of having a game. Where Big Snack is showing virtually nil.

plenewken
10-16-2012, 05:37 AM
Is he playing?

steelpride12
10-16-2012, 10:57 AM
A lot of the D line has disappeared not just Hampton. Am I supporting and backing him, no, but Keisel and even Ziggy Hood have not played up to their potential.

Chidi29
10-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Keisel isn't even as close to bad as Hampton's been. You watch the games, look a little harder. Every play Hampton is being handled one on one by a center or guard with no difficulty. He's turned in whatever direction they need to turn him, be it run, pass, whatever. If the other team is running the hole goes past Hampton more often than not. And as opposed to his prime days when he occupied two blockers, or if blocked by one man would ram that guard or center right into the designated hole. Now, he's handled as easily as a 3 legged blind puppy.

Keisel has gotten good penetration and influenced plays in every game. He's got several good qb pressures, a tackle for a loss, and maintained gap control like he's supposed to as often as not, if not moreso.

That's not saying Keisel's game hasn't slipped considerably so far this season. It has. But the difference is he at least still has shown some evidence of having a game. Where Big Snack is showing virtually nil.

I'm looking and watching it, trust me.

And to be clear, I never said Keisel was the worst of the three. But we aren't that surprised that Hampton dropped off. What I am surprised by is the struggles the Beard has seemed to have had. Hampton as a big body has been facing a lot of ZBS that he isn't as equipped to hold up against. So him struggling vs stretch plays isn't a huge shock. It's more alarming if Keisel does it. Granted, Hampton struggled badly against Nick Mangold so I'm not absolving Hamp. But the issues run deeper than him.

zulater
10-16-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm looking and watching it, trust me.

And to be clear, I never said Keisel was the worst of the three. But we aren't that surprised that Hampton dropped off. What I am surprised by is the struggles the Beard has seemed to have had. Hampton as a big body has been facing a lot of ZBS that he isn't as equipped to hold up against. So him struggling vs stretch plays isn't a huge shock. It's more alarming if Keisel does it. Granted, Hampton struggled badly against Nick Mangold so I'm not absolving Hamp. But the issues run deeper than him.

The difference being, Keisel is showing occasional flashes of competence. Though he's far from being what he was only a year ago.

Hampton on the other hand doesn't even look like he belongs in the league at the moment. I hope he improves.

Steeldude
10-16-2012, 11:47 PM
I seriously doubt Hampton improves. His lack of push and lateral movement has been painful to watch over the past few seasons. The only reason I feel he is starting is because Tomlin doesn't have the balls to bench him. I see a lot more effort and ability from Mclendon.

As for Kiesel, hasn't he always struggled or at least the weakest of the 3(Hampton/Smith) vs the run? I can't recall Kiesel ever being overly effective against the run. IMO, it was due to his lack of weight.

The deal with Hood is his transition from a 3-technique to a 5. Aaron Smith was very, very good at the 5.

I hear fans asking about changing to a 4-3. Well, that's easier said than done, but it is something the Steelers should look into. They will most likely keep the 3-4, but perhaps they should sprinkle in a 4-3 from time to time.

GBMelBlount
10-17-2012, 05:52 AM
Or the last few. I really thought they would make Mclendon the starter. I feel if the Steelers keep losing they should start Heyward, C. Allen and Mclendon or at least feed them a lot more minutes.

It's pathetic when coaches are afraid to bench veterans.

Agreed.

They had better start tweaking this defense and fast....

If we keep hemmorhaging losses without seeing any attempt at significant personnel adjustments the responsibility for the losses falls largely on the shoulders of the coaches imo.

XxKnightxX
10-17-2012, 05:53 AM
Hampton Watch update : He just ordered 30 mac n cheese poppers from Sheetz. And took a bag of chips.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

GodfatherofSoul
10-17-2012, 10:20 AM
I seriously doubt Hampton improves. His lack of push and lateral movement has been painful to watch over the past few seasons. The only reason I feel he is starting is because Tomlin doesn't have the balls to bench him. I see a lot more effort and ability from Mclendon.

As for Kiesel, hasn't he always struggled or at least the weakest of the 3(Hampton/Smith) vs the run? I can't recall Kiesel ever being overly effective against the run. IMO, it was due to his lack of weight.

The deal with Hood is his transition from a 3-technique to a 5. Aaron Smith was very, very good at the 5.

I hear fans asking about changing to a 4-3. Well, that's easier said than done, but it is something the Steelers should look into. They will most likely keep the 3-4, but perhaps they should sprinkle in a 4-3 from time to time.

How are they going to switch to a 4-3 when they've got a subpar d-line with only 3 on the field?

steelreserve
10-17-2012, 12:53 PM
How are they going to switch to a 4-3 when they've got a subpar d-line with only 3 on the field?

Because a lot of people feel like the younger linemen we have are OK, just struggling in the role of a 3-4 lineman. Which makes sense, since I believe Hood and Heyward were 4-3 defensive tackles in college and now we're trying to convert them to 3-4 DEs, which has accomplished exactly dick.

It's also worth mentioning that we don't have 4 good linebackers to run a 3-4, especially 4 healthy ones. Woodley was also a 4-3 DE in college, and at this point he could probably help us in a lot of ways in that scheme.

zulater
10-17-2012, 09:06 PM
4th quarter, about 10.40ish to go. Titans ball first and ten at the 50, they run Johnson around right end. McClendon blows up the center, laterally pursues the play, and he along with Worldis make the stop for a 2 yard gain. Next play Timmons gets his inteception.

Anyway the best play by a nose tackle all game, maybe all season. How they can justify playing Hampton over McClendon is beyond me?

So getting back to the game. Steelers score the fg to go up by 7, Sushi kicks off for a touchback, the Titans first and 10 from their 20. Guess who's back at nose tackle? If you guessed 98 you'd be right. Completely runs himself out of the play, Johnson goes streaking through the middle for an 11 yard gain. Nice move Lebeau! :frusty:

A couple plays later, McClendon is back in the game again finally. First and 10 Titans 45. McClendon blows up the center, penetrates into the backfield takes out the fullback, changes the path Johnson wanted to take, right into the hands of Timmons. 2 yard gain. Next play McClendon's gone from the game again.

Hampton played 5 more downs on the series. McClendon didn't see the field again.

Steeldude
10-18-2012, 01:50 AM
How they can justify playing Hampton over McClendon is beyond me?

He's starting because he is a veteran and Tomlin doesn't have the guts to bench him. That's my take on it.

zulater
10-18-2012, 05:36 AM
He's starting because he is a veteran and Tomlin doesn't have the guts to bench him. That's my take on it.

All I know is that I hope the hell it's corrected soon. Either they need to play McClendon the vast majority of the downs or Hampton's play has to improve considerably or this team will be a sieve up the middle and vulnerbale to the run like they haven't been in a couple decades.

They difference in their play is so pronounced I don't understand how it escape the beat writers when they question Tomlin at the press conferences?

I'd like to see Ike Taylor bumped down to the nickel or dime back until there's some improvement in his game. But I can see where that's at least debatable for a number of factors.

But for anyone who bothers to look close enough and focus on the middle of the field, there is no debate. Hampton is not getting it done. He gets pushed around like a blocking sled down after down. McClendon on the other hand, going against the very same offensive line man is blowing up plays when he gets the chance.

Steeldude
10-18-2012, 06:22 AM
But for anyone who bothers to look close enough and focus on the middle of the field, there is no debate. Hampton is not getting it done. He gets pushed around like a blocking sled down after down. McClendon on the other hand, going against the very same offensive line man is blowing up plays when he gets the chance.

Yep, and it's been happening for a few seasons now. Which I was I wanted Hoke starting a few seasons ago. Basically, Mclendon is the new Hoke who rides the bench

Count Steeler
10-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Can't understand why Hampton is playing more this year than he has in the last 2 years. It is obvious McLendon is the better player at this point.

steelers_switzerland
10-18-2012, 05:13 PM
i can't understand that hampton is still Nr.1 on the depth chart... steve should have started the season there

zulater
10-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Can't understand why Hampton is playing more this year than he has in the last 2 years. It is obvious McLendon is the better player at this point.

Yeah and the strangest part about it is that a couple years ago when Hampton was still playing at a high level they almost always took him out of the game on passing downs. Now more often than not they have him on the field in obvious passing situations. Makes no sense to me?

60_MINUTES
10-19-2012, 11:33 PM
GOD forbid this is true but is it about money??? I would hope and pray not but damn I got no other reason that makes any since...

Facts... Hampton played less last year then he has this year...
Fact.... Towards the end of last year Hampton basically was benched..they called it a minor injury or something but thats the same thing they called Chris Kemo...bottom line McClendon got more reps
Fact.... After Hampton was benched he then late in the year tears his ACL
Fact... 10 year NT 35 years old that was benched for youth coming off ACL injury
Fact...Playing more downs this year by average then he has in the past 3 years before he was 35 or coming off ACL injury
Fact.... McClendon is making good plays and being noticed by everyone in the 8 plays a game he is getting..

So how can a guy that was benched the year before... thats 35 at NT which is like being 50... that let me remind you one more time tore his ACL not to long ago be playing more snaps then he has played in years????????????????????????????????????????

Its the one question If I could ask any at all I would love to know.....Its blowing my mind.... 35 years old NT coming off ACL injury and your giving him more snaps then you gave him last year not to mention the guy playing behind him is playing very solid... so>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As much as I hate to think this and as much as I sit here and tell myself theres just no way I have to wonder is it about money????

Explain.......Ok

We have mendy,,,,wallace.... coming up for contracts...pouncey wont be long....... starks is on a one year deal I think its safe to say looking at adams so far and also how well starks is playing we will prob sign him or look to sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal...... Hood wont be long.... Sanders is next year. and to my main point McClendon is next year...

So no more then NT is on the field now days can the steelers really afford to pay a NT 4 or 5 million a year with our cap hell and having the above problems we need to sign...how great would it be for the front office to be able to take hamptons 4.5 million or so that hes making this year and give that to a couple different guys above after we let hampton walk after this year.... If McClendon comes in and gets 30 snaps a game starts making splash plays then all of a sudden his agent is gonna demand a few million... if we keep fucking him over like we are doing now with 8 plays a game then there is no way in hell he will sign next year for anything bigger then a 1 or 2 million a year....

yeah Yeah I know how stupid it sounds and yeah yeah I know we would never put money ahead of winning............................well if you make yourself believe that there is really not much difference in hampton and McClendon...and you think to yourself signing a couple guys to the future is more important then a small drop off at NT then maybe you could sale yourself on it being the right thing to do......

Anyway as dumb as it sounds and as pissed off as i feel to even thinkk it could be true... I will say this...what the hell does anyone else have for a reason?????

35 year old NT that was basically benched the year before...coming off an ACL tear and looking like he is on rollerskates for 5 straight games............Anybody????

I would agree with the Tomlin wont bench vets thing but like I said he benched Kemo... Farrior and Hampton last year....

So what to yall think????? I got nothing but that dumbass money thing....

GBMelBlount
10-20-2012, 07:01 AM
We are at a critical crossroad this season.

If no significant changes are made and we continue to lose I will blame the brass for this.

Stupidity is doing the same things that don't work over and over and expecting a different outcome.

86WARD
10-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Hampton should've been cut in the off season and some of that money used to sign Wallace/Brown/Sanders. I've only said it a million times...lol.

He's no where near what he used to be.

Looks like Warren Sapp had spoken the truth...old and slow. Lol...

86WARD
10-20-2012, 07:05 AM

If no significant changes are made and we continue to lose I will blame the brass for this.

Stupidity is doing the same things that don't work over and over and expecting a different outcome.

The shotty drafts are starting to catch up to this team. There's absolutely no depth and now that the team is getting older and banged up, it's really starting to catch up and show...

BlastFurnace
10-20-2012, 09:32 AM

The team needs to be gutted of older veterans that simply don't get the job done. Take the hit next year in the salary cap and start to get this turned around.

After this year, I hope we have seen the last of the following:

Colon
Hampton
Mundy
Keisel
Taylor

I hope some coaches are gone too. No one needs to be shown the door more than John Mitchell. Mitchell would have ruined Reggie White if given the chance. The Offensive Line coach needs to go too.

I wrestle with letting LeBeau go. The defensive talent on his side of the ball is either ancient or just plain stinks. Someone in the Steelers FO also needs to understand how to draft defensively.

For all the praise given to Kevin Colbert and Omar Kahn regarding the salary cap, they have continually given players on the wrong side of their careers, or just average to below average players, big contracts and have put this team in a very bad salary cap spot during Ben's prime years.

The Steelers need to understand that just because they draft a player that turns out to be average to below average, doesn't mean that they need to give him big money to keep him on the team. This has happened far too often.

GBMelBlount
10-20-2012, 09:41 AM
The shotty drafts are starting to catch up to this team. There's absolutely no depth and now that the team is getting older and banged up, it's really starting to catch up and show...

I think it depends on how you look at it 86 ward.

We have absolutely hit the ball out of the park with our receiving corp and arguably have a top 5 pitch and catch offense.

Also, after hearing some board member thoughts on Zu's thread about how to fix the defense, I HONESTLY feel we are just a few personell and defensive scheming tweaks from holding our own on defense.

I think it is all about coaching to our strengths on both sides of the ball at this critical crossroad.

X-Terminator
10-21-2012, 04:22 PM
You know, I was going to come on here and rip the fans here with their 20/20 hindsight on the draft, but after thinking about it, they really haven't drafted all that well on defensive players after the first 2 rounds. They're best later-round picks are offensive guys...no late-round steals on the defensive side of the ball other than McLendon. Their first-round DL picks aren't being used properly or are barely used at all, and they have no safety depth whatsoever. If Troy or Ryan get hurt, they are screwed, because Ryan Mundy is not getting it done. And I think it's high time that Cortez Allen get on the field and Ike Taylor off it, because I do not see him getting any better. I'd rather take my chances with the younger guy, because he can't possibly play any worse. But the major change won't happen until next season when LeBeau finally retires and Butler takes over, and maybe design a defense that makes better use of Hood, Heyward and McLendon's talents.

Steeldude
10-22-2012, 01:41 AM
Yep, Hampton still sucks. The same kind of play for last few seasons

NCSteeler
10-22-2012, 08:36 AM
When their starting center was in the game he was owning Hampton. Casey spent most of the first quarter picking himself up off his back. Taylor played better but as mention numerous times during the broadcast he had help over the top all night and the Bengals never really seemed to challenge that.

katmandu
10-23-2012, 09:19 AM
I still think if you want to talk about one guy struggling vs the run, it's Keisel. And no one has talked about him.Haven't heard his name much this year......except for all the beard talk.

steelpride12
10-23-2012, 09:20 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img515/664/caseyhampton400x300disp.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/515/caseyhampton400x300disp.jpg/)