PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs Eagles - Week Five Thoughts

Chidi29
10-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Know I'm a game behind though I really didn't have much of a chance to get this up before Thursday's game. Coaches tape doesn't come out until Wednesday at noon. Probably a littler shorter recap than I'd like, but hopefully there's still a couple of good nuggets of info.

"Alex,
Thanks as always for the great editorial!
Fondly,
Marianne"

First Half

- Keenan Lewis and Cortez Allen were the jammers on punts.

- Little odd to see a three step drop on pass to Miller in the flats on 3rd and 16 on our first drive. I'd at least like to try to see if there's something else available before hitting the flats.

- Van Dyke and Curtis Brown were the gunners.

- I know Ike has gotten a lot of flack the past few weeks, some of that has been unfair, and here's one example of one thing he can do that most corners can't. Pass didn't come his away because of the tight coverage and the only place you'll see it is on the coaches' tape. Double-move that breaks off to the curl, mirrored by Maclin and Jackson on each side of the field. Maclin gets a lot of separation from Lewis and Vick hits him for a ten yard gain. Jackson doesn't get any separation from Ike. Ike at the top, Keenan at the bottom to compare.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Ike_coverage.png

- Screen to Heath an excellent conter to Kendricks' blitz. 18 yard gain.

- It looks like the second muffed snap between Pouncey and Ben was more on Ben that Pouncey. It may have been a little wide but it looked like it went through Ben's hands. On the play and heave to Wallace, little disappointed he didn't try to jump and high point the ball like both the DBs did. I know he can get frustrated at times...

- Ben's "zone read" carry wasn't just a miscommunciation thing. Ben did that on purpose. The end, either Tapp or Graham, moved from his Wide 9 spot to inside Heath at the last second and tackled Redman 2-3 yards in the backfield on the play. Smart play by Big Ben.

- Head Brown lined up in the backfield behind Starks. Sent on wheel route.

- Sack by Worilds. Overload blitz, 2 blockers vs three rushing. No down lineman, very confusing on an offensive line with the relatively inexperienced Dallas Reynolds in the game instead of Jason Kelce. Picture.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Overload_Blitz2.png

- Another example of Ben having the best pump fake in the league. 15 yard completion to Miller. First picture is right as Ben is pumping and the second is the LB biting and Heath coming across the middle for an easy pitch/catch.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Ben_pump1.png

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Ben_pump2.png

Second Half

- Rainey shouldn't have taken out the opening kickoff. Not using hindsight either since he only got to the 8. Five yards deep with your momentum going backward on the catch. Just take a knee.

- So tough for Foote to stop McCoy on his TD. He's driving downhill to get to McCoy and the back plants and cuts upfield.

- One defensive formation on 3rd and 4 we showed was using just one down lineman (amoeba defense) with Worilds and Harrison to the same side with it looking like Harrison dropping into a hook zone and Cortez blitzing from Harrison's typical OLB spot.

- Celek vs Mundy on Celek's TD. Tough assignment for a safety in the red zone.

- I actually think a big reason why Mundy was benched in the Titans' game wasn't because of his pass defense. He's struggled a lot in the run, especially in the open field. That's not always easy, especially when facing talented backs like McFadden and McCoy but those are plays starters are expected to make and it gave Mundy trouble multiple times in the Eagles' game. If you can't play the run, you can't play for LeBeau.

- Congrats to David Paulson on his first catch! Brown ran that wheel out of the backfield on that play, too.

- On the final drive, we stack receivers (Wallace and Brown) as we love to do, Brown runs the dig, sits between the two linebackers, and Ben hits him for a 20 yard gain.

- Colon still struggled in pass protection vs Jenkins and Thornton. Think three of his four holds came in pass pro. Did a really nice job in the run game though. Everyone did to be honest.

- Solid job against the run. Not easy to stop a ZBS with a back as talented as McCoy. On outside zone for exmaple, have to stop the back from getting to the edge, clog up the playside B gap, and prevent the back from cutting back tot he backside A gap.

- Wonder if the draws we were running had us opening up our spilts to make a little more running room? Just a thought. Want to look at that a little more.

- Pouncey does such a good job getting to the second level, engaging and sticking to LBs. Very few guys can do it as well and consistency as Pouncey does when you put him in space.

Sacks

None! Wasn't always pretty, Starks and Gilbert did get beat at times to the outside but they sealed the edge and let Ben climb the pocket. And that's good enough for me.

Sack Counter (Season)

Maurkice Pouncey: 1.5
Max Starks: 1.5
Willie Colon: 1
Mike Adams: 1
Doug Legursky: 1
Coverage: 1

Formations

FB: 16
Pony: 0
Empty: 8