PDA

View Full Version : Bires: Steelers' problems are many

LLT
07-25-2010, 03:58 AM
Bires: Steelers' problems are many
Mike Bires/Beaver County Times
Saturday July 24, 2010 11:08 PM

Every summer when the Steelers head for camp, they take with them a myriad of issues, concerns and question marks.

That’s been the case for as long as I can remember, having first reported on the activities at St. Vincent College in 1978, and as this newspaper’s Steelers beat reporter since the start of the 2000 season.

Even after Super Bowl wins, there can be obstacles that can put a damper on the optimism of a new season....

read more at...http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1373/2010/july/24/bires-steelers-problems-are-many.html

solardave
07-25-2010, 08:23 AM
"This is a team that, at this moment, many (outside of the Burgh maybe) feel won’t make the cut when the six AFC playoff teams are determined. "This guy needs to move to Baltimore. What a douchebag.

BlastFurnace
07-25-2010, 08:58 AM
"This is a team that, at this moment, many (outside of the Burgh maybe) feel won’t make the cut when the six AFC playoff teams are determined. "This guy needs to move to Baltimore. What a douchebag.

So what did he say that was inaccurate? Perhaps he should have used another word other than "Problem". There is no question that the team goes into this camp clearly looking up to Baltimore and has plenty of questions.

Killer
07-25-2010, 09:30 AM
yeah - every team has problems - and you don't know when or where injury will strike and kill your season.

Having Troy back healthy will be a big positive for me.

solardave
07-25-2010, 12:03 PM
So what did he say that was inaccurate? Perhaps he should have used another word other than "Problem". There is no question that the team goes into this camp clearly looking up to Baltimore and has plenty of questions.

All I've read from him is his criticism of the team. This article is not as bad as others but I still don't like him and I don't agree about us looking up to the Ravens. I predict this is the year we find out who the real Flacco is. Now that he has his "weapons" let's see if he can win games against teams with winning records.Their defense will carry them again. It''ll be good but not as good as ours can be if we stay healthy. Then there is their secondary with Ed Reed probably missing 6 games. Their corners are not that good especially without Reed. Kind of like we were last season without Troy..

LLT
07-25-2010, 12:52 PM
All I've read from him is his criticism of the team. This article is not as bad as others but I still don't like him and I don't agree about us looking up to the Ravens. I predict this is the year we find out who the real Flacco is. Now that he has his "weapons" let's see if he can win games against teams with winning records.Their defense will carry them again. It''ll be good but not as good as ours can be if we stay healthy. Then there is their secondary with Ed Reed probably missing 6 games. Their corners are not that good especially without Reed. Kind of like we were last season without Troy..

Flacco will get another pass. By this time next year we will be hearing about how the Ravens defensive secondary let their teamn down and if only................

polamalubeast
07-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Was before the 2004 season.

The steelers have been classified, but they finished a 15-1!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings?year=2004&week=0

2004 Power Rankings: Offseason
RK (LW) TEAM REC COMMENT
1 (0) Patriots 14-2-0 Corey Dillon might be a pain, but the Patriots have to figure that as long as they're winning, they can get a good season or two out of him.
2 (0) Eagles 12-4-0 With some big offseason acquisitions -- Terrell Owens and Jevon Kearse -- it's Super Bowl or bust for Donovan McNabb and the Eagles.
3 (0) Colts 12-4-0 We're still not sure the defense is good enough to win it all, but with Peyton Manning at QB, the Colts will be in contention at the end of the season.
4 (0) Broncos 10-6-0 We're assuming the Mike Shanahan can find a capable back to replace at least some of Clinton Portis' production.
5 (0) Chiefs 13-3-0 Doesn't look like the defense got any better which isn't a good thing.
6 (0) Seahawks 10-6-0 With solid additions on defense (Bobby Taylor and Grant Wistrom) and a young, explosive offense, the Seahawks enter 2004 as the favorites in the NFC West.
7 (0) Falcons 5-11-0 Ranking is obviously high based on last season, but with a healthy Michael Vick the Falcons should be heading back to the playoffs.
8 (0) Panthers 11-5-0 Another run for the Cats or the next franchise to go from Super Bowl to subpar?
9 (0) Ravens 10-6-0 Terrell Owens would have really helped on a team that still figures to struggle throwing the ball.
10 (0) Titans 12-4-0 One of these years, all the pounding and injuries are going to catch up to Steve McNair. Could this be the year?
11 (0) Dolphins 10-6-0 The Dolphins are still calling Jay Fiedler their starter, but A.J. Feeley was brought in to win the job.
12 (0) Packers 10-6-0 As long as Brett Favre is throwing the football, the Packers will be in contention in the NFC North.
13 (0) Vikings 9-7-0 Vikings players probably still have a bitter taste in their mouths about how last season ended and a trip to the playoffs could be the only thing that will wash it away.
14 (0) Rams 12-4-0 Marc Bulger might have made the Pro Bowl last season, but he has to be better than he was last season when he threw and NFL-high 22 INTs.
15 (0) Cowboys 10-6-0 A veteran could be on the way, but for now, the QB situation has to be a bit of a concern for Cowboys fans.
16 (0) Buccaneers 7-9-0 Some of the big names -- John Lynch and Warren Sapp -- might be gone, but expect the Bucs to be back in the playoff hunt.
17 (0) Bengals 8-8-0 We're still scratching our head a little at the Chris Perry pick. Marvin Lewis is obviously smarter than we are, but it seems like there might have been some other players that would have been more of an immediate help.
18 (0) Redskins 5-11-0 Will this be the season all of Washington's offseason spending finally pays off?
19 (0) Raiders 4-12-0 Warren Sapp and Ted Washington should help turn around that 30th-ranked defense.
20 (0) Jaguars 5-11-0 If the defense can maintain the level it showed last season, the Jags could be fighting for a playoff spot.
21 (0) Bears 7-9-0 Lovie Smith has to be tempted by Kurt Warner, but we're not sure he's the right fit to mentor Rex Grossman, who doesn't need to be looking over his shoulder.
22 (0) Saints 8-8-0 Deuce McAllister is as good as it gets at RB. But that hasn't been enough to get the Saints to the playoffs.
23 (0) Bills 6-10-0 Willis McGahee's progress will be one of the most interesting storylines to watch this offseason.
24 (0) Jets 6-10-0 Added speed on defense should help, but the Jets need Chad Pennington healthy from start to finish or all the speed in the world on defense won't help.
25 (0) Lions 5-11-0 OK Joey Harrington, you've got some weapons now, so people are going to be expecting some results.
26 (0) Steelers 6-10-0 Could another playoff miss end Bill Cowher's 12-year run in Pittsburgh?
27 (0) Texans 5-11-0 They still have some holes, but have a potentially explosive offensive trio in David Carr, Andre Johnson and Domanick Davis.
28 (0) Browns 5-11-0 Kellen Winslow is going to have an impact, but all that talk comparing him to LeBron James by his agents was just silly.
29 (0) Giants 4-12-0 In this scenario the Giants would end up sending the Chargers the No. 4 pick in next year's draft.
30 (0) Cardinals 4-12-0 Their wide receivers will be fun to watch, but the Cardinals still have a long way to go.
31 (0) 49ers 7-9-0 49ers could be fighting it out with the Cardinals this year in the NFC West -- and that's not for first place.
32 (0) Chargers 4-12-0 The weather is great and all, but we're not sure we'd want our son playing for the Chargers, either.

Killer
07-25-2010, 01:07 PM
A glass half empty is still full of beer

http://open.salon.com/blog/jay_brooks/2008/12/08/files/half-full1228763911.jpg

Indo
07-25-2010, 01:21 PM
...and your belly is full of the other half of the beer.
So it ain't all doom and gloom

Killer
07-25-2010, 01:26 PM
don't let these hick sportswriters drag you into their gloom - they only do it for attention

we haven't even had the first pre-season game to bitch and scream about - give it time

Psycho Ward 86
07-25-2010, 01:48 PM
All I've read from him is his criticism of the team.

Bawwww criticism baw baw

HometownGal
07-26-2010, 05:49 AM
Sure we have some issues and a couple of question marks headed into this season, but these are a group of guys with a whole lot of pride and after missing the playoffs by a hair last season, they've got something to prove imho. Good teams overcome adversity and as I believe we are headed into the season classified as a "good team", I feel they will rise to the occasion and play their hearts (and asses) off and finish strong.

BlastFurnace
07-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Sure we have some issues and a couple of question marks headed into this season, but these are a group of guys with a whole lot of pride and after missing the playoffs by a hair last season, they've got something to prove imho. Good teams overcome adversity and as I believe we are headed into the season classified as a "good team", I feel they will rise to the occasion and play their hearts (and asses) off and finish strong.

I agree. This team always responds well when their backs are against the wall. They will be fine.

memphissteelergirl
07-26-2010, 08:44 AM
You think the guys are not reading and hearing all this tripe? I'm sure they know that many "experts" are not expecting much out the Steelers this year, but we all know this franchise thrives on adversity and proving the "experts" wrong.

:tt03:

polamalubeast
01-17-2011, 12:06 PM
:ranger:

fansince'76
01-17-2011, 01:39 PM
:ranger:
Do you keep these negative nancy threads on file, PB? I completely forgot about this. :chuckle: