PDA

View Full Version : Ta'amu arrested for DUI last night

plenewken
10-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Over 0.16 BAC. Nice! And he almost got shot by the cops when he kept driving his SUV towards them.
Hope the Stelers cut this neanderthal today.

SteelerFanInStl
10-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Cut him? No, I don't think so. Not for one mistake. Yea, it's stupid and he'll pay for it but that's not a reason to cut him and we certainly can't afford to cut him.

JayC
10-14-2012, 09:58 AM
http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/MDJReport.aspx?docketNumber=MJ-05003-CR-0010432-2012

i won't be surprised if he is cut now.

ALLD
10-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Trade him to the Lions.

salamander
10-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Wow... definitely a dumbass move.

86WARD
10-14-2012, 10:11 AM
LOL...just keeps getting better and better...

steelreserve
10-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Next up: Miller busted for possession of crack cocaine with intent to sell. Batch arrested for statch. Cause it rhymes.

polamalubeast
10-14-2012, 10:48 AM
facepalm

Hindes204
10-14-2012, 10:53 AM
It gets worse and worse with every report that comes out, this dude is in some deep shit

steeldevil
10-14-2012, 11:12 AM
We may be forced to cut him, because he may be in jail for awhile...

X-Terminator
10-14-2012, 11:21 AM
They should cut him for being an idiot, because I still can't figure out why these rich athletes can't call a freaking cab or limo when they know they will be drinking heavily. There is no excuse for it.

katmandu
10-14-2012, 11:23 AM
We may be forced to cut him, because he may be in jail for awhile...X2 !!!!
GREAT JOB Ta'amu !!!!

You just made very bad Steeler's defensive situation much worse !!!

Thanks a lot AZZHOLE !!! Freakin' MORON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yea...... Don't expect Steeler fans to be supportive of him Mendenhall !! And I am a staunch Steelers fan for 40+ years!

katmandu
10-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Cut him? No, I don't think so. Not for one mistake. Yea, it's stupid and he'll pay for it but that's not a reason to cut him and we certainly can't afford to cut him.Too bad. I say cut his sorry loser ass NOW !!!

Yes, he made a "mistake", but look at what he did for God's Sake !! Almost running over a cop and having guns drawn down on him ??

This is way more than a simply "MISTAKE" !! This incident shows his REAL character for which he has shown has NONE !! This dude is a THUG !!!

I place $$$ the Rooney's will cut his ass very soon despite the implications !!

katmandu
10-14-2012, 11:43 AM
http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/MDJReport.aspx?docketNumber=MJ-05003-CR-0010432-2012

i won't be surprised if he is cut now.Holy S**T !!!!! Look at the list of Charges filed against him !!! 15 Charges !!! 5 which are FELONIES !!

# Charge Grade Description Offense Dt. Disposition

1 75 § 3733 §§ A F3 FLEEING OR ATTEMPTING TO ELUDE POLICE OFFICER10/14/2012

2 75 § 3735.1 §§ A F2 AGGRAVATED ASSAULT BY VEHICLE WHILE DUI 10/14/2012

3 18 § 2702 §§ A2 F1 AGGRAVATED ASSAULT 10/14/2012

4 18 § 2702 §§ A2 F1 AGGRAVATED ASSAULT 10/14/2012

5 18 § 2702 §§ A2 F1 AGGRAVATED ASSAULT 10/14/2012

6 75 § 3743 §§ A M3 ACCIDENT INVOLVING DAMAGE TO ATTENDED VEHICLE OR10/14/2012

7 18 § 5104 M2 RESISTING ARREST 10/14/2012

8 18 § 5121 §§ A M2 ESCAPE 10/14/2012

9 75 § 3802 §§ A1* M DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL OR CONTROL 10/14/2012

10 75 § 3802 §§ C* M DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL OR CONTROL 10/14/2012

11 75 § 3111 §§ A S OBEDIENCE TO TRAFFIC-CONTROL DEVICES 10/14/2012

12 75 § 3111 §§ A S OBEDIENCE TO TRAFFIC-CONTROL DEVICES 10/14/2012

13 75§3301§§B S DRIVING ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY - VEHICLE PRO 10/14/2012

14 75 § 3308 §§ C S ONE- WAY ROADWAYS AND ROTARY TRAFFIC ISLANDS - DRI10/14/2012

15 75 § 3745 §§ A S ACCIDENTS INVOLVING DAMAGE TO UNATTENDED VEHICLE O10/14/2012

steelreserve
10-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Holy S**T !!!!! Look at the list of Charges filed against him !!! 15 Charges !!! 5 which are FELONIES !!

Well, it's basically 20 ways of saying the same thing: Guy was driving drunk, wouldn't pull over, then crashed. I wouldn't normally say the list of charges was anything out of the ordinary by itself. Except for the fact that, which the charges only hint at, he almost ran over not one but THREE cops and two had to dive out of the way. And also that the parked car he crashed into had people in it. Yeah, dude is in some serious shit.

fansince'76
10-14-2012, 12:22 PM
This season just keeps getting better and better. All we need now is a season-ending injury to Roethlisberger by that klutz Gilbert falling into his leg (hell, he's already taken out 3/5 of the OL this way) to really make it complete at this point...

Devilsdancefloor
10-14-2012, 12:37 PM
disappointed is far from how i feel

86WARD
10-14-2012, 04:26 PM
FIrst of all, the lack of discipline on field is now showing up off of it. Colbert and Tomlin need to get this team under control before more of this shit happens. If they decide to use him as an example and cut him, I'm fine with it, but something has to be done with this team.

katmandu
10-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Over 0.16 BAC. Nice! And he almost got shot by the cops when he kept driving his SUV towards them.
Hope the Stelers cut this neanderthal today.Good Lord.... :rolleyes: This story made the FRONT page here in Dayton, Ohio.

Updated: 2:31 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 14, 2012 | Posted: 2:29 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 14, 2012

Steelers rookie accused of DUI, assault in chase

The Associated Press

PITTSBURGH —

A Pittsburgh Steelers rookie defensive lineman was arrested early Sunday on charges of leading police on a chase while driving drunk and crashing into parked cars, injuring a woman, authorities said.

Alameda Ta'amu, 22, of Kent, Wash., was driving a sport utility vehicle the wrong way on Pittsburgh's South Side at about 2:30 a.m., police said. The 6-foot-3, 348-pound Ta'amu fled officers and crashed into four parked cars, injuring a woman, then tried to flee on foot before he was restrained by four officers and arrested, police said.

Charges against him include felony fleeing police, aggravated assault and aggravated assault by vehicle, as well as misdemeanor accident causing damage, resisting arrest, escape and DUI charges, along with summary counts, according to court records.

"We are disappointed to hear about the situation regarding Alameda Ta'amu," Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert said in a statement. "We will gather more facts before providing any further comment."

According to the criminal complaint, an off-duty detective called police to say the SUV was swerving across double yellow lines and passing several vehicles at a time, running red lights and speeding in an area that had many pedestrians.

Several police officers ordered the driver to stop but he refused, causing them to dive out of the way to avoid being run over, authorities alleged.

The SUV then crashed into a parked vehicle, injuring the driver, who was treated at UPMC Mercy and later released, police said. After crashing into several other cars, the vehicle was disabled, and Ta'amu then fled on foot, taking off his shirt in what authorities say was an attempt to evade the pursuing officers.

Finally, the officers caught up to him in a parking lot and ordered him to the ground, but he resisted being handcuffed and appeared to be reaching toward his waistband, which the officers feared was an attempt to draw a weapon, so one officer punched him twice, police said. Ta'amu was then handcuffed and transported in a police wagon "due to (his) extremely large size," authorities said.

Police said in the criminal complaint that the defendant's breath smelled of alcohol and a breath test indicated a blood-alcohol content of .196 percent, more than twice the legal limit of .08 percent.

Ta'amu was drafted in the fourth round out of Washington. He has yet to play this season.

Yea, people are always giving cops s**t.

How would YOU like to be a cop fighting against an NFL Defensive lineman ????

Steeldude
10-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Cut him? No, I don't think so. Not for one mistake. Yea, it's stupid and he'll pay for it but that's not a reason to cut him and we certainly can't afford to cut him.

Mistake? Like he didn't know drunk driving is illegal?

7willBheaven
10-14-2012, 04:43 PM
X2 !!!!
GREAT JOB Ta'amu !!!!

You just made very bad Steeler's defensive situation much worse !!!

Thanks a lot AZZHOLE !!! Freakin' MORON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yea...... Don't expect Steeler fans to be supportive of him Mendenhall !! And I am a staunch Steelers fan for 40+ years!

Can you not make one post without using bold, caps, a ton of exclamation points and so on. I can understand showing some emotion in text...but damn...I've never read a normal post from you.

katmandu
10-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Can you not make one post without using bold, caps, a ton of exclamation points and so on. I can understand showing some emotion in text...but damn...I've never read a normal post from you.AND YOU NEVER WILL! LMAO!

Seriously though..... Just kidding man. I had way too much coffee this morning!

If it's one big fault I have is being overly emotional about my Steelers (like a lot of us are!).

Godfather
10-14-2012, 05:25 PM
How much does someone that size need to drink to get to 0.16???!

steelerdude15
10-14-2012, 05:35 PM
After looking at his police report, I'm sure he won't be a Steeler for much longer.

BigNastyDefense
10-14-2012, 06:06 PM
He needs to be cut right now. He's going to be doing a nice stint in jail after that shit. How much does a man that large have to drink to be MORE THAN TWICE OVER THE LEGAL LIMIT!!!

I think he's been inactive every game this season, and even if he's been active he hasn't seen one morsel of playing time. This damn sure isn't the way to get some, that's for sure.

There is a service provided by someone associated with the NFL, I think a former player, that does limo rides for NFL players when they are going out so they don't drive drunk. At least there was one a few weeks ago. And I am pretty sure it was very cheap or even free of charge, and was available in EVERY NFL CITY! And even if this service is no longer available, no NFL player can say they can't afford a cab or limo service for a night.

They know that they are going to drink when they go out, they know they're going to get drunk, and they still choose to drive. Hell, take a friend as a designated driver for goodness sake!

I expect him to be cut this week. I doubt these charges get dropped. He can kiss his NFL career goodbye.

43Hitman
10-14-2012, 09:29 PM
He's done in the NFL. Sad to see someone with so much talent just throw it all away for one night of fun.

steelreserve
10-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Good Lord.... :rolleyes: This story made the FRONT page here in Dayton, Ohio.

Yea, people are always giving cops s**t.

How would YOU like to be a cop fighting against an NFL Defensive lineman ????

Not just fighting against an NFL defensive lineman - fighting against a drunk NFL defensive lineman!

In response to the people asking how much a guy that size would have to drink to get to .196 BAC, it's over 20 drinks if he did it all at once, closer to 30 drinks if he spent all night at it. Which seems likely, because seriously, who can have 20 drinks in the space of an hour. I couldn't believe it either, but since he's essentially twice the size of a regular person, it makes sense. Just puts in perspective what an idiot you'd have to be to go driving after that.

oneforthetoe
10-15-2012, 12:37 AM
The only way I see him not getting cut is if the more serious charges against him (i.e. those related to trying to run the officers over) get dropped. It wouldn't be unheard of for that to happen. It is not that easy to prove that he "intended" to run over the officers, especially given his condition at the time. I'm not defending him in any way - just looking at the situation from a step back. Of course, the Steelers may still intend to send a message and let the idiot go.

zulater
10-15-2012, 05:44 AM
The document described an incident that began to unfold when an off-duty detective in his personal vehicle noticed that the vehicle he was following along East Carson Street was moving erratically. He contacted police, noting "the vehicle was swerving across the double-yellow lines ... and passing several vehicles at a time. The vehicle was running red lights and speeding in the East Carson entertainment district, which has thousands of intoxicated pedestrians walking on the streets and sidewalks."
Alerted to the situation, a uniformed officer who was working an off-duty detail at a bar on East Carson spotted the vehicle, drew his handgun and shouted at the driver to halt. Mr. Ta'amu swerved his vehicle, nearly running over the officer. Mr. Ta'amu then sped away in the wrong lane of traffic, and the officer pursued on foot.
Two other uniformed officers working off-duty details at bars drew their guns and ordered Mr. Ta'amu to stop. Both officers had to dive out of the way to avoid being run over, the affidavit said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-lineman-charged-in-dui-and-chase-657572/#ixzz29MatuYJ4

Reading the story in the PPG this morning, and it says the officers he resisted were off duty uniformed officers working as bouncers or something for various clubs on the strip. So does that mean they were actually in uniform at the time? If you have guys waving a gun at you identifying themselvs as the police, but they're in civilian attire, well that puts a different spin on it to me.

Don't get me wrong, any way you slice it he's in some serious shit, but if he thought it was just regular guys with guns that were chasing him down that could explain some of his excessive behaviour.

LLT
10-15-2012, 06:37 AM
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-lineman-charged-in-dui-and-chase-657572/#ixzz29MatuYJ4

Reading the story in the PPG this morning, and it says the officers he resisted were off duty uniformed officers working as bouncers or something for various clubs on the strip. So does that mean they were actually in uniform at the time? If you have guys waving a gun at you identifying themselvs as the police, but they're in civilian attire, well that puts a different spin on it to me.

Don't get me wrong, any way you slice it he's in some serious shit, but if he thought it was just regular guys with guns that were chasing him down that could explain some of his excessive behaviour.

" a uniformed officer who was working an off-duty detail at a bar on East Carson spotted the vehicle......Two other uniformed officers working off-duty details at bars drew their guns and ordered Mr. Ta'amu to stop..."

They were officers....in uniform...that were working off duty at an obviously approved part time gig. In our county, deputies often work the airport outside of their scheduled hours...in uniform.

zulater
10-15-2012, 06:43 AM
" a uniformed officer who was working an off-duty detail at a bar on East Carson spotted the vehicle......Two other uniformed officers working off-duty details at bars drew their guns and ordered Mr. Ta'amu to stop..."

So Pittsburgh cops are allowed to wear their uniforms on an off duty gig? Doesn't seem right to me.

LLT
10-15-2012, 06:46 AM
So Pittsburgh cops are allowed to wear their uniforms on an off duty gig? Doesn't seem right to me.

It would be pre approved jobs that were agreed upon during contract negotiations. It serves two purposes. Allows the officers to pick up some extra cash...and allows the city to have a police presence downtown at the club owners expense

86WARD
10-15-2012, 07:44 PM
How much does someone that size need to drink to get to 0.16???!

350 pounds. A lot...

SteelGhost
10-15-2012, 08:07 PM
What a tool ! Just when we need some DL help :doh:

Devilsdancefloor
10-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Anyone heard any new news about this?

vader29
10-16-2012, 11:42 AM
The Steelers have suspended rookie defensive lineman Alameda Ta'amu for two weeks because of his Sunday morning arrest on the South Side that resulted in 15 charges, including felonies.

Mike Tomlin revealed the punishment at the start of his noon press conference. He said Ta'amu would not be paid and will not be permitted in the team's facility during those two weeks.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-suspend-rookie-lineman-taamu-after-south-side-dui-arrest-657765/#ixzz29TtdjISD

86WARD
10-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Good.

steelreserve
10-16-2012, 11:45 AM
2 weeks is a lot less than I would've guessed. Although I believe the initial court papers said he had a hearing on Oct. 24. Maybe this is just their way of kicking the can down the road until they see what happens then.

HollywoodSteel
10-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Suspending him for 2 weeks was a no lose move. The guy doesn't dress on game day anyway and it shows the league that they are doing something. If they cut him they still have to pay his full salary. I'm not sure what happens if he is sentenced to jail time.

oneforthetoe
10-17-2012, 06:47 PM
IIRC, I think four weeks is the max that a team can suspend a player. Well, at least I think that was it under the old CBA.

oneforthetoe
10-17-2012, 06:54 PM
I still think it is likely some of the more serious charges are dropped. I'm not defending the bafoon. Still, sometimes the police load every charge they think applicable to an incident (especially when fellow officers were almost run over). Once the DA looks more into the case they might drop a few of the aggravated charges. That is a very hard standard to prove when you have intoxicated individual and off-duty officers, some in uniform and some not, possibly waving a firearm.

Don't get me wrong. I am not faulting the police even in the slightest. It is just that any mitigation at all makes the aggravated charges dicier.

zulater
10-17-2012, 07:00 PM
If the Steelers cut him I believe they'd have to pay him his full years salary at that point. Suspending him for two weeks without pay could be a time grab to see what the law and league do to him, which could end up getting them off the hook for the rest of his salary.

vader29
10-31-2012, 11:30 PM
Despite legal woes, rookie Ta’amu to remain with Steelers

Despite facing 15 criminal charges, including a series of felonies ranging from fleeing police to aggravated assault, rookie nose tackle Alameda Ta’amu will remain with the Steelers.

The team activated Ta’amu from the suspended list Monday but had a roster exemption until 4 p.m. Wednesday. The organization announced the release of backup safety Damon Cromartie-Smith, indicating their intention to keep Ta’amu.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2872458-85/amu-police-driving-steelers-issues-arrest-legal-aggravated-assault-nfl#ixzz2AwTZJBew

Craic
10-31-2012, 11:46 PM
Nice.

15 charges = 1 incident. Let us not forget that either. Let's hope he's learned his lesson. I'm willing to give him room to grow up. But do it again and I hope he's gone.