PDA

View Full Version : Steelers film review: Teams targeting Taylor with success

zulater
10-14-2012, 12:59 AM
Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor played so well last season that opposing quarterbacks were more than happy to steer clear of his side of the field.

Denver changed that thinking in the AFC wild-card game, when Demaryius Thomas and the Broncos burned him for 204 yards.

It appears Denver set a plan the rest of the NFL has followed: Target Ike Taylor.

That was especially evident during Thursday’s 26-23 loss to Tennessee.

Titans quarterback Matt Hasselbeck threw in Taylor’s direction nearly a third of the time he dropped back to pass.

Taylor allowed eight catches by four different receivers and gave up 115 yards and a touchdown. He was penalized twice for 30 yards (a third flag was declined). And he would’ve allowed 20 more receiving yards had Kenny Britt not dropped two passes. Taylor was targeted 15 times.

It was the most catches Taylor has allowed in 39 games dating to Week 2 of 2010, when gave up eight against Tennessee.

Teams have really picked on Taylor this season.

Through five games he has been targeted 44 times, allowing 24 receptions for 392 yards and four touchdowns while being called for seven penalties.

To put that into perspective, through five games last season, Taylor allowed three receptions for 24 yards and no touchdowns. He was targeted 24 times and called for only one penalty

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/2738524-85/taylor-yards-third-game-steelers-titans-call-kaboly-mark-allowed#ixzz29FZzvmqi
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Time for Mr Taylor to step aside! It's hard to believe Cortez Alen could be any worse.

Count Steeler
10-14-2012, 06:16 AM
If he wasn't so grabby and causing all those penalties, I would say just change his coverage duties. However, he has not shown any brilliance this year, and he is a real liability when it comes to penalties.

However, the world would have to collapse before they replaced Taylor with Allen. I would be happily surprised it they made the move, but I just can't see Lebeau doing it.

zulater
10-14-2012, 10:42 AM
If he wasn't so grabby and causing all those penalties, I would say just change his coverage duties. However, he has not shown any brilliance this year, and he is a real liability when it comes to penalties.

However, the world would have to collapse before they replaced Taylor with Allen. I would be happily surprised it they made the move, but I just can't see Lebeau doing it.

If you remember Bill Cowher benched Taylor for the last month of the 2006 season.

In other words if I'm Tomlin, I don't have to leave that decision to LeBeau.

polamalubeast
10-14-2012, 10:47 AM
A.J Green can't wait for this matchup

I love Ike,but since the playoffs game in Denver,he is awful

ALLD
10-14-2012, 02:05 PM
He got a new contract, but lost his game. Reminds me of the Jake Delhomme contract where they paid the QB in order to force him to play. It usually doesn't work out for the better.

Devilsdancefloor
10-14-2012, 04:01 PM
I think Ike benefited a lot form troy being on his side of the field, but something has to give ewither he truely has lost a step OR the game in Denver is still stuck in his head. i am hoping green gets manned up against allen

86WARD
10-14-2012, 08:36 PM
He's not a man to man cover guy any more. He can still cover pretty well in the zone, but his man to man skills have diminished greatly.

SteelGhost
10-14-2012, 11:20 PM
He's not a man to man cover guy any more. He can still cover pretty well in the zone, but his man to man skills have diminished greatly.

QFT

zulater
10-17-2012, 09:59 PM
The defensive holding call Taylor took on 3rd and 10 on what amounted to a 3 yard pass puts a sick feeling in my stomach even today as I rewatch the play. I have no problem with the call. It was all 24's fault. He and Casey Hampton shouldn't play a down again for this team.

zulater
10-18-2012, 05:57 AM
As for stats on the Steelers cornerbacks? No interceptions, and, in a ranking of 100 cornerbacks off their play in 2012, Pro Football Focus lists Taylor 96th and Keenan Lewis 91st.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-ike-taylor-not-happy-with-criticism-657988/#ixzz29eAzfAbv

:doh:

Well on the bright side at least I was right in the perception that Lewis is playing better than Ike! :chuckle: