PDA

View Full Version : mendy is back on twitter

Devilsdancefloor
10-12-2012, 09:42 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/10/rashard-mendenhall-scolds-angry-steelers-fans-on-twitter/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

fansince'76
10-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Oh, boy - he isn't exactly a fan favorite already...

katmandu
10-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Oh, boy - he isn't exactly a fan favorite already...x2.

Mendy on Twitter is like Ben on a motorcycle! A crash waiting to happen ! LOL!

Some things just should not be !!

86WARD
10-13-2012, 07:11 AM
What a moron...

Moose
10-13-2012, 08:09 AM
LOL ! Bitchin' about the fan's bitchin' !! LOL Go earn your money you moron.

st33lersguy
10-13-2012, 08:47 AM
I would reply, I think I have a right as a fan to know why this team can't beat shitty teams on the road and can't stop shitty QBs or shitty WR corps. Fans get upset when their teams plays horribly

Edman
10-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Reminds me of 2009 when Ben called out the fans and media for negative reactions to the team's sloppy play. Right in the midst of a five game losing streak. I even commented on it.

Moose
10-13-2012, 09:20 AM
LOL, the only way I can see to STOP the fan's bitchin' about the shitty playing by the shitty player's is to play better and win. Hummm, that was simple Mendy.

86WARD
10-13-2012, 10:13 AM
http://i45.tinypic.com/35n30w4.png

SteelerFanInStl
10-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Most professional athletes should stay off of social media. They're not doing themselves or their team any favors.

I think that the Steeler fans have every right to be angry at this team. Just because we're angry doesn't mean that we don't support the team and players.

Moose
10-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Mendy doesn't have a clue about fan's. If you care enough about something you will be concerned about the failure and success of that subject. Apparently Mendy thinks that piss poor performance by high dollar athletes should be acceptable by fans who pay big bucks to get in the stadium, pay big bucks for food/drinks in said stadium, and pay big bucks for team merchandise to show support to that team/athlete. Sorry Mendy, in this country that's called freedom of speech.....deal with it ! Or, try to be like Heath Miller and Ben and play every game and perform to the level you get paid for. Better yet, stay off of the tweet crap and use that time being more productive.

X-Terminator
10-13-2012, 10:40 AM
I think it's time for the team to impose a social media blackout on the players, like the New Jersey Devils do during the season. Absolutely nothing good can come from "speaking your mind" on Twitter or Facebook.

GBMelBlount
10-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Mendenhall tweeted on Friday "seriously, if you're gonna talk trash about your team and everyone on it don't call yourself a fan.

A fan is a supporter."

Sorry we can't all be athletic supporters like you are Mendy...

tube517
10-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Twinkle toes

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Psycho Ward 86
10-13-2012, 03:26 PM
is he so wrong?

suitanim
10-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Mendenhall is an idiot. But he's right, and the article affirms it. Usually, it;s the LEAST informed critics who are the most vocal. He's just pissed off because the people who yell loudest and longest are also the people who have the least understanding of the intricacies of the game. And, when you lose, emotions fire up, which only compounds the problem for both the fans and the players...

GBMelBlount
10-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Mendenhall is an idiot. But he's right, and the article affirms it. Usually, it;s the LEAST informed critics who are the most vocal. He's just pissed off because the people who yell loudest and longest are also the people who have the least understanding of the intricacies of the game. And, when you lose, emotions fire up, which only compounds the problem for both the fans and the players...

I get it about the blind and ignorant knee jerk bashing but I think a lot of the criticism is just.

suitanim
10-13-2012, 03:54 PM
I get it about the blind and ignorant knee jerk bashing but I think a lot of the criticism is just.

Not if you don't understand what you are seeing on the field, and understand what it actually MEANS.

That's part of the reason Chidi is such a valuable member of the board. Dude SEES the game, and knows what he's seeing. MOST fans look at a running play and only SEE that it lost one yard or gained 3 yards. He understand how that one play functions in the bigger picture, how the individual assignments matter so much to the outcome, etc, etc...any idiot can look at a 3 yards game and start lobbing blame around. Others can look at it and see what it means in context to the entire game and game plan, as well as how it fits with how the defense is playing and adjusting to stop the offense.

We aren't losing by 30 points every week. We are CLOSE. There are just a couple elements missing here and there. That's why it's stupid to talk about firing coaches or retiring players or switching schemes.

We mostly just need to re-learn how to win on the road.

Wallace108
10-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Not if you don't understand what you are seeing on the field, and understand what it actually MEANS.

That's part of the reason Chidi is such a valuable member of the board. Dude SEES the game, and knows what he's seeing. MOST fans look at a running play and only SEE that it lost one yard or gained 3 yards. He understand how that one play functions in the bigger picture, how the individual assignments matter so much to the outcome, etc, etc...any idiot can look at a 3 yards game and start lobbing blame around. Others can look at it and see what it means in context to the entire game and game plan, as well as how it fits with how the defense is playing and adjusting to stop the offense.

We aren't losing by 30 points every week. We are CLOSE. There are just a couple elements missing here and there. That's why it's stupid to talk about firing coaches or retiring players or switching schemes.

We mostly just need to re-learn how to win on the road.

So you have to be qualified to be a fan and voice your opinion? If you don't know how to break down plays, it's wrong for you to even discuss your favorite team? That's crap. I know lots of people who are die-hard fans but can't even tell you the difference between a tackle and a guard. But that doesn't mean they aren't true fans. It doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to cheer and boo. And it doesn't mean they should just shut their mouths and not talk about the team they love to watch. If only "qualified" fans were allowed to voice their opinions, 90 percent of us (myself included) would just be lurkers.

zulater
10-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Mendy doesn't have a clue about fan's. If you care enough about something you will be concerned about the failure and success of that subject. Apparently Mendy thinks that piss poor performance by high dollar athletes should be acceptable by fans who pay big bucks to get in the stadium, pay big bucks for food/drinks in said stadium, and pay big bucks for team merchandise to show support to that team/athlete. Sorry Mendy, in this country that's called freedom of speech.....deal with it ! Or, try to be like Heath Miller and Ben and play every game and perform to the level you get paid for. Better yet, stay off of the tweet crap and use that time being more productive.

:applaudit: Great post!

zulater
10-13-2012, 07:10 PM
So you have to be qualified to be a fan and voice your opinion? If you don't know how to break down plays, it's wrong for you to even discuss your favorite team? That's crap. I know lots of people who are die-hard fans but can't even tell you the difference between a tackle and a guard. But that doesn't mean they aren't true fans. It doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to cheer and boo. And it doesn't mean they should just shut their mouths and not talk about the team they love to watch. If only "qualified" fans were allowed to voice their opinions, 90 percent of us (myself included) would just be lurkers.

Agreed. The NFL makes a fortune off us "non qualifeid" fans. So as long as we're qualified to give them our money they're just going to have to put up with our un qualifed opinion when we find the product to be lacking.

steelerdude15
10-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Huh..... I find this pretty funny. You have Mendy who tweets one simple thing that isn't even directed to a single person, yet we have Marcus Gilbert on twitter, bashing the women of Pittsburgh and the student body at Pitt, yet no one says a damn thing about him. Lets not forget, Gilbert has also tweeted back to our fans as well.

steelerdude15
10-13-2012, 08:16 PM
I think it's time for the team to impose a social media blackout on the players, like the New Jersey Devils do during the season. Absolutely nothing good can come from "speaking your mind" on Twitter or Facebook.

I have absolutely no problem with this. The players need to either need to not tweet at all or learn how to tweet things that won't piss people off.

Texasteel
10-13-2012, 08:56 PM

Not to mention that there are several players that know less about football than the average fan.

Borski
10-13-2012, 10:06 PM

I don't really agree with this, A lot of Pirates Players and Steelers players I follow on Twitter know how to use their account professionally. Andrew McCutchen, Antonio Brown, Lamarr Woodley, James Harrison, all have accounts and I haven't noticed them say anything they shouldn't have. I think its just that Mendy is...well, stupid.

Edit: I'm fine with a policy that determines if your social media account is causing unneeded distractions then then you are banned from it for the rest of the season. but lots of players offer things like free tickets to games or t shirts and stuff that are fun for the fans.

suitanim
10-14-2012, 09:26 AM
I just think it's not such a great idea for fans to set the bar so high for the players and coaches, yet the fans get a pass and have a very low bar set for themselves, in general, as far as basic knowledge of the game.

I was watching the Buckeyes game last night and saw sort of an analogous situation. A frosh DE comes into the game to spell an upperclassman. On his first play, the guys assignment is to protect the flat to his side. He's supposed to be positioned out about 3 yards off the line close to the sideline and is responsible for this zone. So, at the snap, the kid TURNS HIS BACK to the play and runs out and basically stands there. Now, technically, he's doing his job. The play never comes close to him, so no harm no foul. But the problem is, this kid is just doing this by rote, and he doesn't understand WHY he's out there. Had there been a quick play to his side, the RB or WR would have just run right past him.

This is like fans bitching about the bubble screen, or runs up the middle. In order to create plays that work, you have to run some plays that don't. NO PLAY fails by design, rather it fails because of a lack of execution, or superior execution from the opponent (who is also scheming and playing to stop the play as well). So when we run a bubble screen, all we are really witnessing is a run play with a WR instead of a RB, and the run play originates out in space, not behind the OL. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't. BUT the OC is not an idiot for calling it when it doesn't, nor is he particularly brilliant for calling it when it does. It's this failure to see the big picture that irritates me.

If you're a fan and you don't understand the game that well, sure, you're allowed to complain. But you better be ready to defend you lack of knowledge about the game when it shows itself. Bashing Mendy over the head because he's frustrated with less-than-knowledgeable fans is fine, but so is defending his right to do so...