PDA

View Full Version : John Harbaugh vs Mike Tomlin, who's better?

zulater
10-12-2012, 06:45 AM
The Ravens lost their best defensive player for the season before it ever started. They have an aged superstar linebacker and safety, both who are past their prime. Their offensive line is adequete at best. Their qb is a superstar in his own mind ( and when he plays the Steelers) but to the rest of the world very much middle of the pack. Their receivers are slightly above average. They replaced their kicker this offseason. In otherwords they don't have a gimmee guy from 55 yards.

Obviously Nygota and Rice and superior, but otherwise is their overall talent that much better than ours? :noidea:

They're 4-1 with quality wins, we're 2-3 and haven't beat anyone.

I don't get it, unless the dreaded Harbitch is that much superior to coach Tomlin. Right now sad to say it's hard to think otherwise.

I'm not saying Tomlin is a terrible coach. But if you're far and away inferior to the best guy in your division how's that going to play out over time?

fansince'76
10-12-2012, 06:58 AM
9-6 against KC, a squeaker win against a winless Cleveland team in Baltimore and a scab-ref-gifted 1-point win over the Patriots (again in Baltimore), are "quality" wins? OK.

The fact is, they're EXTREMELY lucky they're not 1-4 themselves. And we're about 2 or 3 plays removed from being 4-1 right now. That's the margin between winning and losing in this league.

zulater
10-12-2012, 07:03 AM
9-6 against KC, a squeaker win against a winless Cleveland team in Baltimore and a scab-ref-gifted 1-point win over the Patriots (again in Baltimore), are "qaulity" wins? OK.

The fact is, they're EXTREMELY lucky they're not 1-4 themselves. And we're about 2 or 3 plays removed from being 4-1 right now. That's the margin between winning and losing in this league.

As Parcells would say, you are as good as your record. Doesn't matter how they got there, they're 4-1 and we're 2-3. Besides I don't care where the game was at, if we played the Patriots right now they'd score 60 points and we'd lose.

And the Chiefs game. They held the Chiefs to 6 points. I don't know that we could keep a high school team under 20 points in their building?

fansince'76
10-12-2012, 07:08 AM
As Parcells would say, you are as good as your record. Doesn't matter how they got there, they're 4-1 and we're 2-3.

I've never bought that line of reasoning. The Ravens have been FAR from impressive this season. We'll see how the rest of the season shakes out.

zulater
10-12-2012, 07:10 AM
I've never bought that line of reasoning. We'll see how the rest of the season shakes out.

So care to answer the poll?

I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. Right now I can't fathom why we're so bad?! I hate the short week, but it was the Titans for God's sake! A team that's been losing by double digits week after week!

86WARD
10-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Ravens are a better team all around. Still think Tomlin is a better coach. I kinda look forward to seeing how he handles the adversity that could be this season.

Teams have to be hot in November and December. If they can squeak a win out in Cincy and get back on track, find a heart and get it rolling, possibly win 7-11, 8-10, they could go into the playoffs "hot" in theory. Realistically, I don't see it happening...not with the schedule they have in front if them. They gave up two soft wins to Oakland and Tennessee.

Butch
10-12-2012, 08:19 AM
I would rather lose with Tomlin than win with Harbitch. I can't stand a coach who resorts to cheap tactics like chop blocks and bitches and whines when ever he loses to us. He can never admit that the Steelers were the better team it's always bitch and whine. I don't know what the Harbitch brothers have against us but they both are coaches I would never want coaching my team. Funny thing is when we got tommy gun I wanted johnnie boy, but after seeing him pout I think we may have just made the better move.

The rats have Steeler envy it's all they can think about and it's proven in the things they say and how they act. They beat us 2ce last year and then lost the following games. That proves to me they are more focused on beating us than winning the Superbowl.

I would love to see more out of Tomlin than great quotes I will still take him over either Harbitch any day of the week.

Also agree that your record is not always indicative of the quality of the team. Packers are one horrible call away from at least one win this year. Just sayin'.

GBMelBlount
10-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Most games are close and we could be 4-1 as easily as they could be 1-4....

However, I feel the difference is they are hungry and motivated moreso than we are...

Coaching has a lot to do with this imo.

st33lersguy
10-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Good teams don't lose to the suck-ass Raiders and the Suck-ass Titans over a span of 2 games. Baltimore is definitely better than Pittsburgh right now

steelerdude15
10-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Enough of the knee jerk threads.

X-Terminator
10-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Enough of the knee jerk threads.

This.

Come on now. Even Crow-Magnon has come on here and said that Ravens fans are upset at the way they've played so far, especially the defense. Gary is right - the Ravens have not been impressive at all, and are damn lucky to be 4-1.

suitanim
10-12-2012, 11:56 AM
If we were getting thumped by 30 in these games, I could see how it could be the coaches AND the players. It's not. It's one or the other.

In the games I'm watching, it's players missing assignments and not executing properly. It's missed tackles, missed blocks, dropped balls and errant passes, blown coverages and players out-of-position. I don't fault any of the coaches for their game plans, maybe fault them a little for the lack of preparation in the players, and mostly blame the players for their lack of performance...ergo, Tomlin the better coach.

Psycho Ward 86
10-12-2012, 02:18 PM
im surprised no one in any thread has made a joke about unleashing hell yet lol :lol:

polamalubeast
10-12-2012, 03:08 PM
This is a another overreaction :ranger:

John Harbaugh is a good coach,but he has 0 super bowl apparence right now....Tomlin has two

BigNastyDefense
10-12-2012, 05:44 PM
He's a superior coach. He takes blame when he fucks up. Harbaugh blames everyone else and I have never once heard him give the other team credit for winning.

Tomlin has been to two Super Bowls, winning one. Harbaugh has been to zero and has never beaten Pittsburgh in the playoffs. He's lost head-to-head to Tomlin twice in the playoffs.

vasteeler
10-12-2012, 06:14 PM
fuck harbough

zulater
10-12-2012, 07:23 PM
The question of the thread wasn't who would you rather have. It's who's a better coach right now. Who's doing a better job with the talent at hand.

Now I agree, I would rather lose than have Harbitch as our coach. I can't stand the son of a bitch.

But at the same token if our main rival has a coach that is coaching circles around our coach and staff, and this continues for a number of years, particularly when we have the better qb....

Well you figure it out.

fansince'76
10-12-2012, 07:34 PM
The question of the thread wasn't who would you rather have. It's who's a better coach right now. Who's doing a better job with the talent at hand.

Now I agree, I would rather lose than have Harbitch as our coach. I can't stand the son of a bitch.

But at the same token if our main rival has a coach that is coaching circles around our coach and staff, and this continues for a number of years, particularly when we have the better qb....

Well you figure it out.

I wouldn't say John Harbaugh is coaching "circles" around Tomlin. His younger brother, on the other hand, as much as it pains me to say it, is currently outcoaching both of them by quite a bit, as the 49ers are kicking ass and taking names this season. And Alex Smith is an inferior QB to both Roethlisberger and Flacco.

Crow-Magnon
10-13-2012, 12:37 PM
This.

Come on now. Even Crow-Magnon has come on here and said that Ravens fans are upset at the way they've played so far, especially the defense. Gary is right - the Ravens have not been impressive at all, and are damn lucky to be 4-1.

Truth right dere.

I will say this- coaches can make a difference...but they ain't the ones makin' or breakin' the play on the field. Right now the Steelers are having a downturn season. Some of that may be Tomlin's fault, but in reality, not much.

steeldawg
10-13-2012, 07:03 PM
This question may upset alot of steelers fans but i think its a fair question.

JayC
10-13-2012, 07:10 PM
the best part of tomlin is he is not a cry baby like harbitch. but harbitch and his coaches make better adjustments it seems. sometimes i wonder if tomlin knows anything about making adjustments. but i rather have a man like tomlin than a cry baby harbitch. that is all.

zulater
10-13-2012, 07:11 PM
This question may upset alot of steelers fans but i think its a fair question.

Thank you. And I don't think there's a clear cut right answer as of now.

X-Terminator
10-13-2012, 07:40 PM
the best part of tomlin is he is not a cry baby like harbitch. but harbitch and his coaches make better adjustments it seems. sometimes i wonder if tomlin knows anything about making adjustments. but i rather have a man like tomlin than a cry baby harbitch. that is all.

They do? Care to tell me why, then, their offense is struggling mightily under Cam Cameron? I mean, if they know how to make adjustments better than Tomlin and his staff, surely they would be scoring at a high level like the Patriots and Falcons.

What? They're not?

Besides, it sure seemed to me like adjustments were made on offense Thursday night, because they were much better overall and Ben much better himself in the 2nd half than in the 1st half.

What I think we have here is that Tomlin defers to and trusts his coordinators when it comes to the game plans every week. Whether that's right or wrong is open for interpretation.