PDA

View Full Version : Another Road game. Another Dickard D collapse.

Edman
10-11-2012, 11:05 PM
3rd Down and Long and you rush TWO players? Hasselcrack hasn't been able to hit anything all day and you decide to give him THAT much time on a crucial drive?

Looks like the Defensive Genius hasn't learned a damn thing from Oakland. Playing safe and scared gets you BURNED. ALWAYS. Before that, the D played pretty good. Essentially giving up 9 points, but Dickards conservative call killed them again. A leopard never changes it's spots, and this Defense isn't going to get any better. It is what it is. Solid enough, but too damn conservative to be dependable.

XxKnightxX
10-11-2012, 11:09 PM
As drunk and frustarted as I am right now. I'm not surprised at this meltdown. I saw a receiver running past Harrison and saw immediately the game lost. Matter of fact I saw it as a loss before the game started, and it solidified it once suisham stepped the field.

If you excuse me I'm going to keep chugging booze . I spent good money for the giants game . I better get my moneys worth by then.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Crow-Magnon
10-11-2012, 11:22 PM
I know the Steelers are 2-3 and the Ravens are 4-1, but both teams defenses have taken a downturn since last year. I think fans of both teams are turning their noses up in distaste at the inability of both defenses to stop other teams from gaining yards.

It is something we are all simply not used to seeing.

dislocatedday
10-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Next year's draft has got to focus on the defense (...damn...I can't believe I am already talking about the 2013 draft at this point...sad...). I thnk this team is in good shape going forward on the offensive side if they can get past the injury bug, but I see too many cracks in the defense.

Prok
10-11-2012, 11:32 PM
3rd Down and Long and you rush TWO players? Hasselcrack hasn't been able to hit anything all day and you decide to give him THAT much time on a crucial drive?

Looks like the Defensive Genius hasn't learned a damn thing from Oakland. Playing safe and scared gets you BURNED. ALWAYS. Before that, the D played pretty good. Essentially giving up 9 points, but Dickards conservative call killed them again. A leopard never changes it's spots, and this Defense isn't going to get any better. It is what it is. Solid enough, but too damn conservative to be dependable.

Ain't arguing this either. with youngsters Hood and Heywood i'm praying Tomlin converts us to a 4-3 tampa 2 next year and they force LeBeau out the same way BA got treated.
it's time for change!

Edman
10-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Next year's draft has got to focus on the defense (...damn...I can't believe I am already talking about the 2013 draft at this point...sad...). I thnk this team is in good shape going forward on the offensive side if they can get past the injury bug, but I see too many cracks in the defense.

The Steelers have drafted for Defense for years. The problem is loyalty to Lebeau and his veterans are biting them in the ass. It's been well-documented for years that Lebeau fails miserably without Polamalu. That's no fault on the Defense, It's on fault for Lebeau for NOT ADJUSTING his defense for his absence. Lebeau relied on Troy way too damn much to save his skin.

The Defense played reasonably well until Dickards brainfart on that 3rd down. Playing that cushy bullshit got the Steelers burned AGAIN. JUST AS IT ALWAYS HAS. The game and the league has passed Dickard by. It's time for him to go the moment this season is done with.

GodfatherofSoul
10-12-2012, 12:13 AM
As drunk and frustarted as I am right now. I'm not surprised at this meltdown. I saw a receiver running past Harrison and saw immediately the game lost.

As soon as he made his break I knew it was over because there was no one on the other side and Harrison wasn't reacting to him.

Steeldude
10-12-2012, 12:19 AM
As soon as he made his break I knew it was over because there was no one on the other side and Harrison wasn't reacting to him.

Harrison should have been doing what he does best - rushing the QB, not covering TEs across the field.

fansince'76
10-12-2012, 12:23 AM
Harrison should have been doing what he does best - rushing the QB, not covering TEs across the field.

Can't rush too many and give up the big play! :rolleyes:

st33lersguy
10-12-2012, 01:11 AM
I would have Lebeau fired. Yes, that would put the D-coordinator position influx, but that would be better than whatever the hell LeBeau is doing anyway.

oneforthetoe
10-12-2012, 01:54 AM
I guess I was watching a different game. Most every time I saw us blitz, I saw us get beat. Not saying we shouldn't have blitzed .... just saying maybe we are not that good.

Sorry for interrupting anybody's scapegoating. Please continue if it helps.

Count Steeler
10-12-2012, 05:03 AM
It amazes me how the Titans could get pressure rushing 3 and we couldn't sniff Hasselback by rushing 5 or 6. Our up front scheme sucks or the players are really worse than I think.

Edman
10-12-2012, 07:43 AM
I guess I was watching a different game. Most every time I saw us blitz, I saw us get beat. Not saying we shouldn't have blitzed .... just saying maybe we are not that good.

Sorry for interrupting anybody's scapegoating. Please continue if it helps.

You did watch a different game. The Steelers were fine on Defense last night until that asinine rushing two guys call on the 3rd and Long and sending EVERYONE BACK. To stop the VAUNTED MATT HASSELCRACK. The Old Man is done.

st33lersguy
10-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Your 2012 Pittsburgh Steelers defense

http://www.inloughborough.com/images/trafficcone.jpg

And their defensive coordinator

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Fp5_e5aPqUY/Rv4rKX5r23I/AAAAAAAAA8k/srVPVw_abPw/s400/Biden_brain.jpg

Steeldude
10-12-2012, 11:09 AM
It amazes me how the Titans could get pressure rushing 3 and we couldn't sniff Hasselback by rushing 5 or 6. Our up front scheme sucks or the players are really worse than I think.

But are the Steelers really rushing 5 to 6? The DL doesn't rush the QB. They only play patty cake so the LBs are free. Basically the Steelers rush one or two players(LBs or DBs) Chest Bump

oneforthetoe
10-12-2012, 11:26 AM
You did watch a different game. The Steelers were fine on Defense last night until that asinine rushing two guys call on the 3rd and Long and sending EVERYONE BACK. To stop the VAUNTED MATT HASSELCRACK. The Old Man is done.

I guess we will have to agree that we were watching different games last night. I saw a D that rarely got pressure all game. One that let a washed up running back run four plus yard average. And d'backs couldn't cover save for grabbing and holding. The only credit I give the d last night was that early they did hold the Titans' to field goals. Still, they let them drive up and down the field. Of course, it is much easier to think there is one simple answer to problems -fire this one, get rid of so and so - and all will be fine. Simple.

steel9guy
10-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Steelers Draft. Did some research. 2007 Round 5-William gay, 2009 Round 5-Joe Burnet, 2009 Round 3- Keenan Lewis, 2010 Round 5-Crezdon Bulter, 2011 Round 4-Cortez Allen, 2011 Round 3-Curtis Brown. Gay is gone with the cardinals, Butler is a free agent and Joe Burnet is with the CFL. The highest number that one of these CB's was drafted was number 3 with Lewis and Brown. WHERE ARE THESE GUYS? They aren't making many plays. Not to mention we haven't drafted a safety since.......2008 in a decent Ryan Mundy. We can not afford to not draft 1 and 2 CB's and Safeties anymore. It's killing us.

SteelerFanInStl
10-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Steelers Draft. Did some research. 2007 Round 5-William gay, 2009 Round 5-Joe Burnet, 2009 Round 3- Keenan Lewis, 2010 Round 5-Crezdon Bulter, 2011 Round 4-Cortez Allen, 2011 Round 3-Curtis Brown. Gay is gone with the cardinals, Butler is a free agent and Joe Burnet is with the CFL. The highest number that one of these CB's was drafted was number 3 with Lewis and Brown. WHERE ARE THESE GUYS? They aren't making many plays. Not to mention we haven't drafted a safety since.......2008 in a decent Ryan Mundy. We can not afford to not draft 1 and 2 CB's and Safeties anymore. It's killing us.

Don't just look at DBs. Look at ALL of the defensive picks in recent years. Who among them has made an impact besides Timmons and Woodley?

SteelerFanInStl
10-12-2012, 12:20 PM
I guess we will have to agree that we were watching different games last night. I saw a D that rarely got pressure all game. One that let a washed up running back run four plus yard average. And d'backs couldn't cover save for grabbing and holding. The only credit I give the d last night was that early they did hold the Titans' to field goals. Still, they let them drive up and down the field. Of course, it is much easier to think there is one simple answer to problems -fire this one, get rid of so and so - and all will be fine. Simple.

Yep, that's what I saw. CJ was running through gaping holes in our line, Hasselbeck had all day to throw and the receivers were consistently wide open or getting mugged by Ike.

I don't think that LeBeau should be fired but I think that they need to ask him to retire at the end of the year.

Pristas
10-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Don't just look at DBs. Look at ALL of the defensive picks in recent years. Who among them has made an impact besides Timmons and Woodley?

I think Heyward and Hood are solid picks. Those two are doing their job occupying the line for our LBs. Timmons has been very good of late, but Foote not as much. I think Cortez Allen has been a nice surprise as well. Kenan Lewis did a great job all night long. It was a shame he didn't get that pick. In his defense that was a fastball, thrown behind him, on his left arm. Tough catch. All of that said, I agree with you, kind-of. It's not an impact player we need on D, it's an ELITE player we need on D. Kevin Colbert needs to realize that is our most dire need. We need a guy who can become a leader, and lead by example. Troy is/was elite, but not a leader. Ray Lewis was elite and a leader, now he is just a leader. Today these are the names of guys who were elite and are not anymore: Harrison, Polamalu. That leaves us with no elite player, and no leader. Wonder why we are 2-3? That's why.

I am going to come out and say it. It is not the 3-4 defense that is troubling us. It is the players we currently have are not suited to this formation. If you put Hampton and McClendon in the middle of a 4-3, have Hood and Heyward/Beard on the outside, then Timmons in the middle, with Harrison and Woodley as the outer LBs, this D could be pretty darn good. I think if we switched mid season it would screw up game plans for other teams so badly they wouldn't know what to do. Right now Safety is our biggest problem. Without Troy, we are a mess. And it's not because he's so incredible, it's because the guys playing behind him are so bad. Clark is great, Cortez Allen and K Lewis were impressive. Ike had a really bad day, but can usually be counted on. Mundy and Will Allen just can't fill in for Troy. The standard is not the standard, and as soon as Tomlin realizes this and makes some adjustments, we're going to finish the season with a 7-9 record and a mid 1st round draft pick which may or may not help. We need elite talent. Top "number-one" Corner or Safety should be our draft priority. LB is a close second for Rd 2. Round 3 we take a RB, if a talent falls to us. Or maybe - just trade up and take the best damn defensive player in the draft. That could be the difference in the twilight of Ben's career and whether or not he ever again hoists a Lombardi trophy.

Edman
10-12-2012, 02:21 PM
It is not the 3-4 defense that is troubling us.

It's the TYPE of 3-4 Defense that is troublesome. We get no pass rush from the D-Line because we play 2-Gap instead of 1-Gap like the Cards, Seahawks, and Texans. A 2-Gap 3-4 is pretty much D-Line holds the line while Linebackers do the playmaking.This doesn't work when your Linemen are ineffective and you have mediocrity like Foote in the middle.

Our style of 3-4 is HEAVILY reliant on Troy. When Troy isn't out there, the Defense is exposed for how flawed it is. Like '76 said, when your scheme needs ONE guy to be healthy to work, it isn't a fundamentally sound Defense. That's why this defense has failed when Troy is out. I place blame on Lebeau for NOT adjusting and coming up with a Plan B for whenever Troy is out. It's been a problem going back years, and it still hasn't been fixed.

Count Steeler
10-12-2012, 02:30 PM
But are the Steelers really rushing 5 to 6? The DL doesn't rush the QB. They only play patty cake so the LBs are free. Basically the Steelers rush one or two players(LBs or DBs) Chest Bump

Yes, in effect you are correct. The only time the Dline gets involved is when the QB runs to them. The handling of McLendon is really starting to puzzle me. He shows much better than the amount of playing time they are giving him. He must of pissed in somebody's corn flakes.

Devilsdancefloor
10-12-2012, 03:17 PM
im piossed that mclendon isnt getting any playing time id love to see him out there4 on the big nickel. i agree with steel dude the Dline needs to ATTACK what is the worst thing that could happen a big run play? Also is this the last year for the 3-4? i think butler takes over next year ugh i am so flustered i am not used to seeing the D play like this.