PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin lost us this game, and thus the season

zulater
10-11-2012, 10:55 PM
How do you go for a 54 yard field goal and give them the ball there with our shitty defense? :frusty:

Ben should have been given a chance to get the first down.

And why did we start playing for the field goal as soon as we crossed mid field? You could see it, no aggression. They were content to set Suisham up anywhere around 50 yards.

Anyway we've lost to the Radiers and Titans now. No way we make the playoffs. Seasons over. Thanks Tomlin. :frusty:

Craic
10-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Tomlin?

Oh boy.

zulater
Tomlin?

Oh boy.

Yeah, he outcoached himself at the end.

steeldevil
I forget what game last year but we were in a similar situation as tonight, both times he tried a very long fg. To me, that is the one of the 3 choices that is unacceptable! It is the one of the three that gives you THE LOWEST PERCENTAGE CHANCE TO WIN!

Can anyone tell me why he chooses to do this? Because to me it is just pure stupidity...

steeldevil
10-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Whoops. I just started a thread about JUST ABOUT the same thing.

Mods.

Edman
10-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Yes, Tomlin.

Ben should've been given a chance on 4th down. Instead Tomlin took the ball out of his hands into the hands of a less-probable situation. Sushi has been great, but that kick had no chance whatsoever. Yes, he did outcoach himself.

He really disappointed me with that call. The shine has really been coming off of him with these pathetic road efforts.

Devilsdancefloor
10-11-2012, 10:59 PM
He doesnt trust our D to stop ANYONE

steel9guy
10-11-2012, 11:00 PM
This is the first night I started to lose faith in Tomlin.

steeldevil
You have to either go for it or punt. Going for a fg, with a kicker who cant regularly kick it that far, is the oen of the 3 options that gives you the least chance to win.

Why would you do it?

He did it last year in one of our games too.... I dont get it at all... Either go for it or punt.... Shit....

steeldawg
I think we should be pointing a giant finger at Ike Taylor, he was awful in this game and the titans attacked him all night.

fansince'76
10-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Tomlin?

Oh boy.

That wasn't one of Tomlin's better decisions, considering the way the defense has been struggling.

zulater
10-11-2012, 11:03 PM
I think we should be pointing a giant finger at Ike Taylor, he was awful in this game and the titans attacked him all night.

He's stunk all season if you ask me.

43Hitman

He's been below the line most of the season.

NCSteeler
punt

steeldevil
10-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Exactly, so by that logic you take out punting it. Then you ask yourself which is more probable: Sushi making a 54 yard game winner OR your great QB getting 5 yards?

zulater
10-11-2012, 11:05 PM
punt

That's probably the percentage move. But with our defense, and with them having 3 time outs the result's most likely the same.

In my opinion our only hope was to give Ben a chance at the first down.

tube517
10-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Yeah, not one of his wisest choices considering the way the defense has played in the 4th quarter.

zulater
10-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Yeah, not one of his wisest choices considering the way the defense has played in the 4th quarter all season.

Fixed it for you.

tube517
10-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Fixed it for you.

Yeah, I meant that in a general sense for the season.

steel9guy
10-11-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm not saying we should fire Tomlin but I am sure as heck sick of defending him now. Losing to the raiders and titans this year, 09's struggles, almost losing to the cheifs, colts, jags, and browns last year, I'm sick of this terrible and horrible playing down to opponents. And another thing. Most of the basis of the Superbowl teams was Bill Cowher's team.

SteelerFanInStl
10-11-2012, 11:10 PM
He was certainly part of the reason. Playing for the FG was stupid. Sushi has no leg. Why does this team keep bringing back a kicker who has a CAREER LONG of 52 yds?

The playoffs this year are completely out of the question. This team stinks.

fansince'76
10-11-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm not saying we should fire Tomlin but I am sure as heck sick of defending him now. Losing to the raiders and titans this year, 09's struggles, almost losing to the cheifs, colts, jags, and browns last year, I'm sick of this terrible and horrible playing down to opponents. And another thing. Most of the basis of the Superbowl teams was Bill Cowher's team.

We played down to our opponents when Cowher was still here as well. That didn't just start in the last couple of years - not by a long shot.

zulater
10-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Also since this thread is mainly about Tomlin, is it fair to question his firing of the special teams coach right before the season started? How's that working out so far?

Even the hold on our final kickoff return might have played into things. Does #30 ever not commit a penalty on a kick?

XxKnightxX
Tomlin is good for having confidence in his players nd testing them when they need to. But this wasn't the time and place. Players gotta make the plays but the coaches gotta realize your strengths and weaknesses and realize that the defense is not th 10 or 08 defense. Absolute debacle.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

tube517

Uh, Cowher's teams did a lot of that too. Don't think this is some kind of new phenomenon.

zulater
10-11-2012, 11:12 PM
SteelerFanInStl;321502] He was certainly part of the reason. Playing for the FG was stupid. Sushi has no leg. Why does this team keep bringing back a kicker who has a CAREER LONG of 52 yds?

Don't blame the kicker. There's only about 3 kickers in the league you go for a 54 yarder with at that point in the game.

steel9guy
10-11-2012, 11:14 PM
I didn't say Cowher's teams didn't play down too. I just said that most of the big names on the Superbowl teams are there because of him. I'm just saying why in the heck does this keep happening?

tube517
10-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Don't blame the kicker. There's only about 3 kickers in the league you go for a 54 yarder with at that point in the game.

Even if Sushi made that kick, this would've been no guarantee that the Steelers "D" would've stopped them from tying or even scoring a TD.

GBMelBlount
10-11-2012, 11:17 PM
I had no problem with the Tomlin's decision to go with sushi. He was perfect this year and had already cleared 52 with room to spare it appeared. It is what it is.

My much deeper concern is what got us to the point where we had even had to make this type of decision....

zulater
10-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Am I alone in thinking the Steelers played for the field goal as soon as they crossed mid field? They seemed to lose all sense of urgency and looked as if they were content to let Sushi try to win it on a long field goal.

zulater
10-11-2012, 11:21 PM
I had no problem with the Tomlin's decision to go with sushi. He was perfect this year and had already cleared 52 with room to spare it appeared. It is what it is.

My much deeper concern is what got us to the point where we had even had to make this type of decision....

I know made that with room to spare. And hell he just missed by a yard ( Batch lost 2 yards trying to set up the field goal on 2nd down) Bu percentage wise Ben's got a helluva lot better chance to convert 4th and 7 then Sushi does to make the 54 yarder imo.

SteelerFanInStl
10-11-2012, 11:25 PM

Wrong. Quite a few kickers in the NFL can make that. 7 kickers have already made at least a 54 yarder this year and 6 others have made a 53 yarder. Janikowski isn't in that group and he can certainly make it from 54 yards. There were 13 kickers that made a 54 yarder last year.

I'm not blaming Sushi. He is what he is. I'm blaming the team for continuing to bring him back when he's not capable of doing anything more than making the easy FGs.

Prok
10-11-2012, 11:26 PM
How do you go for a 54 yard field goal and give them the ball there with our shitty defense? :frusty:

And why did we start playing for the field goal as soon as we crossed mid field? You could see it, no aggression. They were content to set Suisham up anywhere around 50 yards.

Anyway we've lost to the Radiers and Titans now. No way we make the playoffs. Seasons over. Thanks Tomlin. :frusty:

I really don't think i can even argue this. I could add that it was OBVIOUS the titans gameplanned to throw at ike taylor LOTS and definately when they absolutely needed the yardage. number 1 corner my hind end....

we were once again out-coached and out-played by a weaker team on the road. I HATE to say this but we have rapidly declined to a sub-par team with a great QB. i'm so thouroughly disgusted with our defense it isn't even funny. and yes, tomlin should have put the game in Ben's hands rather than a long fg and the defense that flat out SUCKS. i'm truly disgusted with this team right now.

hopefully next year brings us a new DC and couple cover corners and maybe we can re-tool for another run at it before Ben retires. as of right now this team has lost my trust and confidence. sickening...

SteelerFanInStl
Am I alone in thinking the Steelers played for the field goal as soon as they crossed mid field? They seemed to lose all sense of urgency and looked as if they were content to let Sushi try to win it on a long field goal.

They did and that's what I have the biggest problem with.

GBMelBlount

I think the apathy and playing not to lose is a lot more chronic than just crossing midfield in the 4th quarter.

The lack of intensity and will to win is shameful and carries over from last year imo.

SteelerFanInStl
10-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Even if Sushi made that kick, this would've been no guarantee that the Steelers "D" would've stopped them from tying or even scoring a TD.

Yes, another reason to NOT play for the FG.

LLT
10-12-2012, 12:52 AM

Really? Thats a forgone conclusion?

That very well might be true...but its impossible to say right now. I know brother....I get a "little" emotionally involved myself....but step off the ledge and lets look at top ten draft picks now!! LOL

oneforthetoe
10-12-2012, 01:58 AM

You mean the Bill Cowher team that he coached to a non-playoff season the year before Tomlin arrived. Yea, I see what you did there.

Lou Donny
10-12-2012, 01:17 PM

Tomlin deserves the dunce cap
His FG decision was ridiculously bad.

He cant have it both ways....either you believe in your D or you dont....and clearly NOBODY can seriously believe in this D
Tomlin proved as much by going for it on his own 30 yard line this season.

And if you dont believe in the D, you cant risk a FG miss in that situation, which results in asking your D to hold an offense to less than 20/25 yards until its a gimme FG for the W

So you punt, ask your D to hold them under 50-60 yards in under a minute or so....and you take your chances in OT

and the new OT rules favor a team like the steelers....a team with a leaky D

GBMelBlount
10-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Tomlin deserves the dunce cap
His FG decision was ridiculously bad.

He cant have it both ways....either you believe in your D or you dont....and clearly NOBODY can seriously believe in this D
Tomlin proved as much by going for it on his own 30 yard line this season.

And if you dont believe in the D, you cant risk a FG miss in that situation, which results in asking your D to hold an offense to less than 20/25 yards until its a gimme FG for the W

So you punt, ask your D to hold them under 50-60 yards in under a minute or so....and you take your chances in OT

and the new OT rules favor a team like the steelers....a team with a leaky D

I really have no problem with people who fault Tomlin for this decision.

However I just don't think the odds of making the field goal vs. converting on a 4th down pass vs. winning in overtime are much different.

All were arguable 50% or a little better....and suisham has had a hot hand.

Plus, I think this decision is pretty small in comparison to all the other shit in aggregate that put us in that position.

That's all.

Good debate.

Steeldude
10-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Come on, how can anything be Tomlin's fault? It's all about execution only. Suisham didn't execute the FG. If Tomlin called for a 70-yard FG attempt it would be Suisham's fault for not executing it. Just like Lebeau's decision to rush 2 men. It's the fault of those two players for not getting the sack.

X-Terminator
10-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Well, at least there haven't been calls for Tomlin to be fired on here.

Yet.

ALLD
10-12-2012, 01:57 PM
We are going to get a good draft pick next year.

tihmtahm
10-12-2012, 03:44 PM
I actually thought Suisham would make that kick. He only missed by a yard. I still get the willies whenever he steps in to kick though. The Steelers are 3/5 on 4th down this year, but Ben was firing pretty good that last series. A missed FG gives the Titans good field position with time on the clock, as does a botched 4th down conversion. A punt puts the Titans further back with time, but with a suspect defense, I would have tried the FG too... Hindsight is 20/20 and I would have been on trial like Tomlin is now. We should have never been in that position in the first place. I agree with those that said we should have been more aggressive coming across the 50. For some reason the Steelers seem to have lost the "go for the kill" mentality. We are no longer feared as we once were!

bayz101
10-12-2012, 03:54 PM
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

BlastFurnace
10-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Let's see, potentially set up the Titans at their 45 yard line with 2 time outs for a game winning drive.

Brilliant Tomlin. Six years as a HC and he still does the same dumb stuff.

Count Steeler
10-12-2012, 04:33 PM
The real problem, as Zu has stated, was that the aggressiveness of the 2 minute drill died as soon as the Steelers got in field goal range. The 2nd down running play that lost 2 yards was the real killer. Should have went for at least 2 more first downs, chewed up more clock and close out the game.

You don't win the game until you win the game.