PDA

View Full Version : Aikman: Roethlisberger needs help

polamalubeast
10-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Former Dallas Cowboy quarterback Troy Aikman, a three-time Super Bowl winner, told me the other day how impressed he has been with Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisbeger.

Although Aikman said if anybody can do it, it would be Roethlisberger, he also said that the Steelers are going to need a run game to help Big Ben out sooner or later.

“It’s a real burden when the only way you can move the ball is through the air,” Aikman said. “It takes a toll. They need to run the ball better. He has shown the ability to be able to carry this team but it is asking a lot to do it each and every week.”

Then the Steelers go out and have their best running game of the year against the Eagles and come away with the win.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/c31ae394-78fd-4488-83e9-b2234b1e3de6/?source=twitter

ALLD
10-10-2012, 05:38 PM
The great Aaron Rogers is getting sacked every 10 attempts! It's the OL. Like I said in the off-season, it's Arians fault and Haley is bringing a lot to the team.

Edman
10-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Ben is getting sacked considerably less than years before. This is with the very same maligned Offensive Line than last season.

It's the coordinator. Haley has made a huge difference for the Offense.

Count Steeler
10-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Or the players are finally executing. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

2 whole games and only 1 sack, and 1 of the teams sacked us a gazillion times the last time we played them. Ben must be pinching himself to make sure he is awake.

kane_jr
10-10-2012, 06:33 PM
One of the biggest differences that Haley has made is he has a system that utilizes checkdowns and less seven step drops. It allows Ben to make quicker and smarter decisions. The O-line's ability to pass protect has improved because of it. If the offense starts clicking together and cutting out the stupid penalties they will be a consistent 30+ points per game type of offense.

bayz101
10-10-2012, 06:38 PM
New Offensive Coordinator:

Ben Roethlisberger is off to one of the greatest years of his career. He's getting sacked considerably less. Almost every game we've played this year mimics last years gamplan against the Patriots. Arians completely abandoned that gameplan.

Need I say more? This new offense is keeping Ben safe, and Ben's ability to escape the pocket as improved as a result of him losing weight.

If our defense keeps the intensity up, we'll be fine.

Craic
10-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Seems to me we're forgetting a couple things.

Willie Colon in place of Kemoeautu. While he may be getting more penalties, he's a heck of a better pass blocker.
Starks is back and healthy, after missing 4 games last year.
Foster is playing like he finally wants to be an NFL player - it helps to finally get a year's full of work under your belt, speaking of which,
Marcus Gilbert is no longer a rookie. I was hard on him, but he's shown himself coming along nicely.

So, saying that the offensive line hasn't changed, when in fact, four of the five positions on the line have seen upgrades due to either player change, what amounted to a rookie year of starting, or back and healthy from injury, isn't exactly accurate.

zulater
10-10-2012, 07:36 PM
The Steelers have actually run the ball effectively the last two games. I know they didn't put up great numbers rushing against the Radiers. But the Raiders were weak in the secondary so that was never the plan. When they needed to run the ball to move the sticks they did so.

tube517
10-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Aikman with another "DUH" article. :yawn:

st33lersguy
10-10-2012, 10:02 PM
At least there is one media guy who acknowledges Big Ben's greatness. Although Mendenhall was very vital in the win

Moose
10-11-2012, 12:07 PM
And Aikman came up with on his own, all by himself ? Damn, he's sharp. Why hasn't anyone seen this until now ? LOL, another great interview.

SteelerFanInStl
10-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Seems to me we're forgetting a couple things.

Willie Colon in place of Kemoeautu. While he may be getting more penalties, he's a heck of a better pass blocker.
Starks is back and healthy, after missing 4 games last year.
Foster is playing like he finally wants to be an NFL player - it helps to finally get a year's full of work under your belt, speaking of which,
Marcus Gilbert is no longer a rookie. I was hard on him, but he's shown himself coming along nicely.

So, saying that the offensive line hasn't changed, when in fact, four of the five positions on the line have seen upgrades due to either player change, what amounted to a rookie year of starting, or back and healthy from injury, isn't exactly accurate.

Exactly. This is not the same OL.