PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' lack of discipline becoming apparent

polamalubeast
10-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Mark Madden Times Sports Correspondent | 3 comments

Call the police. Somebody stole a football game.

The Steelers’ 16-14 victory over Philadelphia at Heinz Field was a victimless crime, especially given the Eagles’ complicity. If Mike Vick doesn’t fumble away a touchdown in the first quarter, the Steelers’ season might be in jeopardy.

Despite Rashard Mendenhall’s scintillating return from injury and a methodical 64-yard march to post the winning points, the Steelers were beneficiary of a heaping helping of luck. They won despite a defense that is fading before our very eyes. Witness Philadelphia’s 18-play, 79-yard drive to take a 14-13 fourth-quarter lead. Two fourth-down conversions and a 24-yard gain on third-and-10. Depressing.

The Steelers’ defense folded late despite the notable return of James Harrison (two tackles, three quarterback hits) and a big game by Lawrence Timmons, who awoke from his season-long slumber to make nine tackles (two for a loss) and two QB hits.

Dick LeBeau’s D had three sacks and eight QB hits, putting more pressure on Vick than any opposition quarterback this season. But it all went wrong in the final quarter. Things won’t be any easier Thursday at Tennessee if Troy Polamalu (calf) and LaMarr Woodley (hamstring) miss.

Even more alarming: The Steelers’ abject lack of discipline.

read more

http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mark_madden/steelers-lack-of-discipline-becoming-apparent/article_73443c3b-be7c-5fd3-a5f0-0d32373c9ffb.html

SteelerFanInStl
10-08-2012, 05:53 PM
All I had to read was Madden's name in order to know that it was a pile of shit. Why does he even still have a job?

Craic
10-08-2012, 07:25 PM
He made a funny

Willie Colon collected enough flags to stock the United Nations

Besides that, he made a couple good points, but the rest of it was typical rants. I have to agree with him however, this team is undisciplined. To see Clark standing there screaming at the ref is sickening at best. I was surprised he wasn't given another 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct, or even tossed, 'cause he was in the ref's face for quite awhile.

zulater
10-08-2012, 07:31 PM
He made a funny

Besides that, he made a couple good points, but the rest of it was typical rants. I have to agree with him however, this team is undisciplined. To see Clark standing there screaming at the ref is sickening at best. I was surprised he wasn't given another 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct, or even tossed, 'cause he was in the ref's face for quite awhile.

Yeah, Ryan really needs to be reigned in by someone soon otherwise he's going to end up losing games over his lack of judgement. And with Troy's health being so precarious that's something we really can't afford.

SteelGhost
10-08-2012, 08:01 PM
I don't like Madden, but this time he's right about the lack of discipline :noidea:

fansince'76
10-08-2012, 08:24 PM
The local media cheerleaders don’t like to mention it, but Mike Tomlin is too much of a players’ coach, too buddy-buddy, too quick to forgive and not at all imposing. His predecessor, Bill Cowher, was known as a players’ coach. But he was also known for his temper and for giving players a face full of fury if they did something dumb.

With Cowher, there was an element of fear. Not so with Tomlin.

Whatever. Let me know when Harrison or Woodley get kicked out of a game during pregame warmups for fighting with an opposing player like an idiot. You know, like Porter did under Cowher.

polamalubeast
10-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Whatever. Let me know when Harrison or Woodley get kicked out of a game during pregame warmups for fighting with an opposing player like an idiot. You know, like Porter did under Cowher.

It was so funny when Porter was suspended during the pregame warmups!!!!

steelerdiva
10-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Somebody go stuff a damn donut in this idiot's mouth and shut him the eff up.

steelreserve
10-08-2012, 11:19 PM

I remember that. At the time it pissed me off, but years later it cracks me up. Stupid? Yes. Funny? Absolutely.

Craic
10-08-2012, 11:25 PM

Good point. Talk about fear, you don't see anyone on the Steelers trying to kiss Tomlin, do you? :chuckle:

I think it's true that the team is undisciplined right now, but not in the same way Madden's trying to push it. They're undisciplined in making stupid mistakes that they should know better than making.

tube517
10-08-2012, 11:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4cdb8i64zQ

And that explains that! :chuckle:

suitanim
10-09-2012, 05:32 AM
That "18 play, 79-yard-drive" was, um....aided by a little help, there, big fella.

In my football World, that drive stalls when the first penalty-that-is-now-a-penalty-but-should-never-REALLY-be-a-penalty isn't actually called.

GoSlash27
10-09-2012, 08:22 AM
The Steelers are not at all a likeable team. Too many nasty soundbites. Too much unnecessary chest-beating, especially by guys with no rings on their fingers. Much of the team’s attitude toward the media is abusive. Totally unacceptable.

A-ha! That explains it.

I'm not seeing a discipline problem here, I'm seeing a fundamentals problem. I'm confident they'll sort it out.